Karma rate

Started by Trenidor, September 09, 2003, 11:16:23 PM

DON'T FEED THE ZOMBIE THREADS
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

Quote from: spacewars on August 06, 2010, 03:10:04 AM
What

The thread is seven years old.  Oh, and send in a request.
Quote from: scienceAn early study by Plaut and Kohn-Speyer (1947)[11] found that horse smegma had a carcinogenic effect on mice. Heins et al.(1958)

Quote from: Synthesis on August 06, 2010, 03:09:24 AM
DON'T FEED THE ZOMBIE THREADS

I applaud his ability to use the search feature to find a relevant thread, and explore it. If only half of the vets would utilize this we probably wouldn't be up to the 6,452 page. Because half of them are repeats of the ANSI thread, Skill levels showing thread, and what else -- been too long to remember.
"rogues do it from behind"
Quote[19:40] FightClub: tremendous sandstorm i can't move.
[19:40] Clearsighted: Good
[19:41] Clearsighted: Tremendous sandstorms are gods way of saving the mud from you.

Quote from: spacewars on August 06, 2010, 02:18:43 AM
I've been playings since 2008 i'm still a newb at a lot of things, but i have not recieved karma yet.

Old son, I say this to help you, not to insult you: your posts contain a lot of careless punctuation and capitalization mistakes.  Do you make these mistakes in-game, too?  I'm not saying that's the Kiss of Death for getting any staff love (I've seen templars with consistent punctuation mistakes), but it can't help.

Aside from what jhunter said, special-apping for an option just above your karma level (desert elf, or possible Vivaduan/Rukkian) is a good way to (a) try out those parts of the game and (b) give staff special reason to pay attention to how well you're playing them.
The sword is sharp, the spear is long,
The arrow swift, the Gate is strong.
The heart is bold that looks on gold;
The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.

August 06, 2010, 12:41:10 PM #30 Last Edit: August 06, 2010, 01:18:02 PM by Old Kank
I've been playings since 2008 i'm still a newb at a lot of things, but i have not recieved karma yet.

Other than my snarky remarks WHICH I REGRET, my account notes are completely empty and full of dust from sitting there

Just like in real life, sometimes it's hard to get noticed, and the fact that your account notes are empty explains why you have no karma.

I don't know anything about you, or any characters you've played, but if you play an average, middling character that lives to maybe 10 days played, joins a clan, makes some friends and has some personal drama and then dies, you'll never get noticed.  You could do that a hundred times over, and still, your chances of getting noticed are slim and none.

Think of it this way:  If there are 60 players online, and let's assume 5 staff members that are free to watch characters doing things, why would they stop and watch your character?

There are a few things you can do:

1. Solicit staff attention, either through the review flag, or special app roles.  This can be hit or miss, but my understanding is a lot of people get karma, or access to special roles this way.

2. Play a funny/unique/interesting character, and I don't mean funny/unique/interesting to you.  You know those characters people talk about on the GDB, that had great one-liners, or had other people lining up to play around just because they liven things up?  Those characters get watched.

3. Play a character responsible for a slice of the game world.  This is a game we play to have fun and, oftentimes, avoid responsibility, so the staff tend to love characters that take on responsibility.  Take charge, get other people moving, submit reports to your clan staff via the request tool about how you're moving and shaking, and make the staff watch you just so they can keep up with what's happening.

Edited for corrections, per spawnloser's post.

Correction on what Old Kank said:  Do NOT mail reports to clan staff but use the request tool to send your reports.  That is all.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

I can't quote from the phone. (So frustrating.) I disagree with old kank. I don't play for the imms. Almost every pc I play is a red shirt. I do however seem to do alright with staff recognition.
My suggestions are:
Special app
Send in the occasional report and update.
Bio.
If you feel overlooked send in a polite note.

By the way, I think this is absolutely the right thread.
Varak:You tell the mangy, pointy-eared gortok, in sirihish: "What, girl? You say the sorceror-king has fallen down the well?"
Ghardoan:A pitiful voice rises from the well below, "I've fallen and I can't get up..."

I got my first karma just a week ago because I put in a request to see my account notes,  to see if there was something negative on them. I wanted to know because I didn't have Karma, and I thought I must have done something wrong.

The Imm gave me the point because there were no notes whatso ever. Means I couldn't have been doing anything majorly wrong, and because I have been plying nearly a year.
I remember recruiting this Half elf girl. And IMMEDIATELY taking her out on a contract. Right as we go into this gith hole I tell her "Remember your training, and you'll be fine." and she goes "I have no training." Then she died

Be proactive in getting your karma, is my advice.

Two or three of the points I have were gained by seeking out special apps. or through hooking up with special positions when Staff called for them.

Be patient, is the other half of my advice.  Karma will come, but it isn't an end in it's self.  Playing that d-elf or that magicker won't make you a better role-player.

..but I admit, it's nice having the options to play the higher karma rolls.
Quote from: Dalmeth
I've come to the conclusion that relaxing is not the lack of doing anything, but doing something that comes easily to you.

Quote from: Pale Horse on August 06, 2010, 03:30:52 PM

Be patient, is the other half of my advice.  Karma will come, but it isn't an end in it's self.  Playing that d-elf or that magicker won't make you a better role-player.

That is true, but getting the chance to try out a karma restricted role sometimes makes you realize you're good at some particular kind of roleplaying. If that's the case, the staff usually notice it as well.

Edited to add: I suppose the same goes for non-karma guilds/races but I guess karma was the topic at hand.

I wish that staff were just a bit more consistent about this sort of stuff.  The amount of love that is handed out is definitely spread unevenly.  Consider two players who play consistently, observe criticism and don't cheat and have been playing for four years.  One might have eight karma, right?  Now you would assume that the other player would have at least one quarter of the love that the other player does...but in fact he might have zero karma.

The thing is, that there is no single person who is at fault for this.  I really kinda wish that there were a layer of quality control on the game to help smooth out the love just a little.
He said, "I don't fly coach, never save the roach."

Quote from: Pale Horse on August 06, 2010, 03:30:52 PM
Be proactive in getting your karma, is my advice.

Two or three of the points I have were gained by seeking out special apps. or through hooking up with special positions when Staff called for them.

Be patient, is the other half of my advice.  Karma will come, but it isn't an end in it's self.  Playing that d-elf or that magicker won't make you a better role-player.

..but I admit, it's nice having the options to play the higher karma rolls.

I just love how magick works in this game, and peoples reactions. I want to try all the elements. Hey, I'm a huge magick lover. It's why I came here, in the first place. Still here because I love it. Though i did special app me a rukkian once. Loved every second of it.
I remember recruiting this Half elf girl. And IMMEDIATELY taking her out on a contract. Right as we go into this gith hole I tell her "Remember your training, and you'll be fine." and she goes "I have no training." Then she died

If you are in roles which require some degree of responsibility (sending in reports, handling other PCs/minions, keeping plots running) you should naturally get karma where it is due. Sometimes folks fall through the cracks, but I'm of the experience the staff keeps up with this pretty well, so long as players are keeping in touch with them.

That said, it's definitely easier getting karma in the high-octane, world-changing roles like merchant house families, leader roles in tribes, military groups (Byn or militia), and in the Noble Houses which have dedicated staff.
"And all around is the desert; a corner of the mournful kingdom of sand."
   - Pierre Loti

I don't have any karma, but a relatively high karma app I submitted was accepted, which made me happy and made me feel that I had a chance to prove to the staff that I could play high-karma roles well.

Then I screwed it up horribly. But having the chance was very nice :)

How big was the karma leap, Jengal? I'm thinking of sending in a spec app and I don't really care about the middle tier guilds or races.

well it was pretty much the middlest tier.

Karma 4.

so a 4 leap.

Cool, that should be enough. Thanks.

My special app was a 2tier leap, to stone mage. There wasn't even a question, just took... about 2 weeks for approval.

I'm somehow thinking that "4 more than you got" is the unofficial limit on special apps for karma-limited options.
The sword is sharp, the spear is long,
The arrow swift, the Gate is strong.
The heart is bold that looks on gold;
The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.

all the special apps come out when I have a pc that's doing fun things, or involved in fun plots. Le sigh..... One day I shall app a templar or family member.

but... and this is dumb.... What's the diff between an Agent and a trader?

Quote from: Fredd on August 06, 2010, 09:02:47 PM
all the special apps come out when I have a pc that's doing fun things, or involved in fun plots. Le sigh..... One day I shall app a templar or family member.

but... and this is dumb.... What's the diff between an Agent and a trader?

Agents and such deal with employees, mostly, Merchants deal with customers and the like.

Traders trade things and do the smooth talking with clients for the House.
Agents pretty much keep the workers in line and deal with problems - however they see fit for the House's best interests.  Sort of like an overseer; how they go about doing this depends on the character.

Quote from: brytta.leofa on August 06, 2010, 08:21:08 AM

Old son, I say this to help you, not to insult you: your posts contain a lot of careless punctuation and capitalization mistakes.  Do you make these mistakes in-game, too?  I'm not saying that's the Kiss of Death for getting any staff love (I've seen templars with consistent punctuation mistakes), but it can't help.
I'd consider it a kiss of death.
I wouldn't want to monitor a char that types like shit, read his emotes, or even bother with them unless staffing was my job - being volunteers, I can't blame them for not wanting to strain their eyes.
That's also not meant to insult.

Poor punctuation and grammar is a pretty big kicker, I'm sure.
I'd rather read nothing than this:
"oh hey guys so i gots this nuew bone dagar mind if use it on yu"

Of course, if you keep glaring typos in your sentences to a minimum... then I'm sure it's no big deal.  There's a difference between typing like a dilznick and having a few typos in spelling here and there.

Quote from: Gobbleneck on August 06, 2010, 09:11:16 PM
Traders trade things and do the smooth talking with clients for the House.
Agents pretty much keep the workers in line and deal with problems - however they see fit for the House's best interests.  Sort of like an overseer; how they go about doing this depends on the character.

Quote from: brytta.leofa on August 06, 2010, 08:21:08 AM

I'd consider it a kiss of death.
I wouldn't want to monitor a char that types like shit, read his emotes, or even bother with them unless staffing was my job - being volunteers, I can't blame them for not wanting to strain their eyes.
That's also not meant to insult.

Poor punctuation and grammar is a pretty big kicker, I'm sure.
I'd rather read nothing than this:
"oh hey guys so i gots this nuew bone dagar mind if use it on yu"

Of course, if you keep glaring typos in your sentences to a minimum... then I'm sure it's no big deal.  There's a difference between typing like a dilznick and having a few typos in spelling here and there.

You just hate my typing Gobble. :P