Armageddon Setting and Roleplay.

Started by Blur, September 06, 2013, 08:40:08 PM

Yeah, humans can have almond shaped eyes in real life. Don't see why it'd be strange in the game.

From the docs...

QuoteElven ears are always pointed, and the shape of the eyes is always that of an almond.

So, maybe it doesn't say humans can't have the same shape, but it would at least give you pause if someone did have almond shaped eyes, wouldn't it?

Quote from: Riya OniSenshi on October 30, 2013, 02:22:17 PM
I don't recall reading anything in the documenations that states that almond eyes are a trait only exhibited by elves, and therefore also by half-elves. Sounds more that people are letting their d&d preconceptions bleed in when they shouldn't.

It's there, though.

QuoteEye color among elves, however, is a matter of extraordinary variability. Elven ears are always pointed, and the shape of the eyes is always that of an almond.

So yeah. Distinctly elven.
You take the last bite of your scooby snack.
This tastes like ordinary meat.
There is nothing left now.

Almond-shaped is sort of vague anyways. Aren't most peoples eyes almond shaped?

Almond eyes do not always mean an elf, but an elf always has almond eyes.
Quote from: Adhira on January 01, 2014, 07:15:46 PM
I could give a shit about wholesome.

All elves have almond-shaped eyes =/= all almond-shaped eyes belong to elves.
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

Quote from: FantasyWriter on October 30, 2013, 03:53:32 PM
All elves have almond-shaped eyes =/= all almond-shaped eyes belong to elves.

I cannot tell a lie, when I see almond eyes in game (because ALL elves have them like that) I always think elf blood.
I'm taking an indeterminate break from Armageddon for the foreseeable future and thereby am not available for mudsex.
In law a man is guilty when he violates the rights of others. In ethics he is guilty if he only thinks of doing so.

The mul helpfile says they have "slanted" eyes.

Is there a huge difference between "slanted" and "almond?"

I sort of see dwarves, elves, and muls all having sort of the same eyes, just like they all have pointed ears.

There's no reason humans can't exhibit almond eyes.

It's probably common in game, because when people are crawling their brain for descriptive phrases to write their character, it's one of the more common descriptors in literature.
All the world will be your enemy. When they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

Quote from: Kronibas on October 31, 2013, 04:16:38 AM
The mul helpfile says they have "slanted" eyes.

Is there a huge difference between "slanted" and "almond?"

I sort of see dwarves, elves, and muls all having sort of the same eyes, just like they all have pointed ears.

Yes. If you look at the above diagram slanted eyes would be the Asian ones.

"almond" shaped eyes are often considered to have the "perfect" proportion for eyes in art.. So it's definitely not something only people with elf blood in them would have. It's actually one of the most common eye shape there is.

The same with slanted eyes, many races of non-asian descent have slanted eyes. Lots and lots and lots of Hispanic and African people have slanted eyes.

So in a world like Zalanthas, slanted and almond shaped eyes would definitely not be uncommon in full-bloodied humans.
"When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse's feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back."

As a pale white gay irl, I, for one, relish the opportunity to roleplay as a pale white gay in the desert.

Maybe this could go in the documentation if accepted?

I like asian, islander-tribal, sorts of eyes and would love to add those to an acceptable list of human characteristics.
Eat your fries with mayonnaise next time

Quote from: i love toilets on October 31, 2013, 04:08:40 PM
Maybe this could go in the documentation if accepted?

I like asian, islander-tribal, sorts of eyes and would love to add those to an acceptable list of human characteristics.

They are acceptable. You just can't use the word "asian" because that is real-world specific to denote a particular race of humans that don't live in Zalanthas. The word "islander" wouldn't work either, because there might or might not be an island in Zalanthas, and if it were, it might or might not have a native population whose eyes would have a particular look that you want to convey via text.

You can describe asian eyes in the game, and make them your character's eyes. They have a pronounced epicanthic fold. That is the thing that makes asian eyes, asian eyes.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

Quote from: Zerero on November 17, 2013, 12:26:18 PM
Wait... I can have green screen?

You can have green skin or can have a blue screen. Pick and choose.

But yes, skin-color mutations are acceptable, so long as documented in your background. Most any cosmetic mutation is acceptable, as per documentation, as long as it doesn't offer some coded benefit. For that, you need a special app. If you want a character with razor-sharp pincher hands that function as piercing weapons, put in a special app (but don't hold your breath). If you want a character with an unnatural skin-color, go right ahead and make them. There's been several well-known characters in the past who had weird skin color (Gibbs, ya rocked!). Just be prepared to follow through with the social implications of being a mutant and you're good to go.

To add on to the topic of fair skin, I can only contribute that when I played a certain albino a decade back, my character notes from staff included something to the effect of "Feel free to give him sunburns if outside too long." So I guess keep that in mind if you're playing someone incredibly pale, as is your prerogative to do so of course.
Quote from: Nyr on September 30, 2013, 11:33:28 AMYes, killing them is possible, but leaving someone alive can create interesting roleplay.

November 19, 2013, 12:51:57 PM #66 Last Edit: November 19, 2013, 12:59:08 PM by James de Monet
Do you think only German- and Japanese-Americans were mocked and harassed during WWII, or do you think some Polish-, Austrian-, Swiss-, Chinese-, Korean-, and Philippino-Amercians caught some of that flak too, even if they had no hint of the accused bloodline?

Now consider that your average Zalanthan is less educated and more superstitious than your average '40s American. You are probably 100% correct that people with 0 elf blood could still have almond-shaped eyes, but that doesn't necessarily make the assumption that they might be a breed an OOC one. If you have almond eyes, it could be from elf blood, and your character should probably be prepared for some people to assume as much.

The same could be said for being exceptionally tall, exceptionally wide, big ears, shaved head, etc.

Edited, because it kinda sounded like I found the mocking of German- and Japanese-Americans to be justified. Clearly, I don't.
Quote from: Lizzie on February 10, 2016, 09:37:57 PM
You know I think if James simply retitled his thread "Cheese" and apologized for his first post being off-topic, all problems would be solved.

I diagree entirely. Human have almond-shaped eyes very commonly. I almost think the docs should be changed to slanted eyes.

Well, you could turn it around.

If almond eyes are too common to denote elvish blood, you could still take the opposite to be true:

Now, round eyes or narrow eyes become more attractive to the human supremacists, because they speak against the possibility of breedism, rather than almond eyes speaking for it.  Just a thought.
You know I think if James simply retitled his thread "Cheese" and apologized for his first post being off-topic, all problems would be solved.

Also, keep in mind that I think almond is not the most common shape for human eyes. I think that would fall to more of a marquise shape, where both sides are roughly equal in point and shape. Almond shaped eyes are more rounded on the outside, more pointed on the inside, like an almond.

Quote from: Ouroboros on November 19, 2013, 03:14:00 AM
Just be prepared to follow through with the social implications of being a mutant and you're good to go.

This reminds of me of a PC in Tuluk years ago that could only be described as an fme furry, complete with boobs and tail.  Peoples' reactions to her were hilarious.
Quote from: manonfire on November 04, 2013, 08:11:36 AM
The secret to great RP is having the balls to be weird and the brains to make it eloquent.

Quote from: Ourla on December 01, 2013, 10:05:43 PM
Just be prepared to follow through with the social implications of being a mutant and you're good to go.

This reminds of me of a PC in Tuluk years ago that could only be described as an fme furry, complete with boobs and tail.  Peoples' reactions to her were hilarious.
Wait. It gets better. That cat girl had a threesome with two Tuluki nobles, getting them all force stored. :D
Quote from: Fathi on March 08, 2018, 06:40:45 PMAnd then I sat there going "really? that was it? that's so stupid."

I still think the best closure you get in Armageddon is just moving on to the next character.

Quote from: Is Friday on December 01, 2013, 11:56:22 PM

Wait. It gets better. That cat girl had a threesome with two Tuluki nobles, getting them all force stored. :D

Ohmuhguhhhhhh, I forgot about that part! Shenanigans!
Quote from: manonfire on November 04, 2013, 08:11:36 AM
The secret to great RP is having the balls to be weird and the brains to make it eloquent.

I so lurv the sandwich joke that was born from that..
The funny little foreign man

I often hear the jingle to -Riunite on ice- when I read the estate name Reynolte, eve though there ain't no ice in Zalanthas.

Quote from: Ourla on December 02, 2013, 11:18:06 AM
Quote from: Is Friday on December 01, 2013, 11:56:22 PM

Ohmuhguhhhhhh, I forgot about that part! Shenanigans!

Overall, that was a very unpleasant situation to handle for all involved, especially staff.
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.