Warrior Skill: Bull Rush

Started by IssacF, May 18, 2013, 02:46:57 PM

Bull Rush
At the expense of 30% Stamina per use allows to move in a direct 'line' of up to three rooms: the one currently resided and up to two more. This allows the Warrior to immediately close the distance between Warrior and the target of the Bull Rush. Target is not hit, or stunned in any way, but are immediatly engaged in combat. However having the initiative of the first attacks.

Syntax

>bull rush <direction> <target>
>bull rush north Erving

This skill produces a short delay.

That would be awkward in desert rooms.

Quote from: spicemustflow on May 18, 2013, 02:53:18 PM
That would be awkward in desert rooms.

Would you elaborate please?

Well, some of those rooms are many leagues/miles/kilometers/whatever long, so it would be silly if you could sprint across that distance. I don't know, I'm talking from the immersion point of view.

Desert rooms are generally considered to be at least a mile long, each. This skill would allow the crossing of that distance with completely impossible speed.

If desert rooms really are a mile long, we already are crossing them with impossible speed.
Child, child, if you come to this doomed house, what is to save you?

A voice whispers, "Read the tales upon the walls."

Sounds like an easy-to-abuse skill.
Quote from: Fathi on March 08, 2018, 06:40:45 PMAnd then I sat there going "really? that was it? that's so stupid."

I still think the best closure you get in Armageddon is just moving on to the next character.

As for the idea itself, the 30% stamina cost is expensive enough where the skill would basically never be used except in the most extreme situations.  This isn't like Warcraft or other MMOs (which usually have a similar skill for warrior types), where your stamina or rage or whatever regenerates over time - you have to actually sit down and rest in order for your stamina to come back.

I see this being very prohibitive to outdoor roleplay also, as it instantly initiates combat from out of nowhere.

I'm pretty sure military clans or militant groups would use the hell out of this. It'll turn the Byn into roaming carru with a 3 room attack radius.
Quote from: Fathi on March 08, 2018, 06:40:45 PMAnd then I sat there going "really? that was it? that's so stupid."

I still think the best closure you get in Armageddon is just moving on to the next character.

Ah. So the skill is too powerful? The idea is basically a charge move that lets warriors suddenly close a distane between them and a target. Could be two rooms only: the one being resided and one other and the stamina cost dropped to 20%.

It's not gonna happen.

May 18, 2013, 03:25:39 PM #11 Last Edit: May 18, 2013, 03:28:07 PM by Gunnerblaster
Quote from: IssacF on May 18, 2013, 03:15:33 PM
Ah. So the skill is too powerful? The idea is basically a charge move that lets warriors suddenly close a distane between them and a target. Could be two rooms only: the one being resided and one other and the stamina cost dropped to 20%.

Yeah - If you take the time to play and fully master the skills of a Warrior - You'll realize that those mother fuckers are pretty dangerous, on their own. Making them able to insta-dash 3-rooms and auto-initiate combat would just fuck you up.

I imagine a fight going down like this:

>bullrush man east

>You rush 3 rooms to the east, engaging in combat with the black-haired man!

>bash man

>You bash the black-haired man, sending him sprawling!

>disarm man

>You deftly knock the black-haired man's weapon out of his hand.

Aaaand, within the scope of about 15 seconds - A warrior's engaged in combat, put his target in a position to where he can't escape, and then has disarmed him.

Edited to add:
It's a cool idea but I'd personally not want to see it in a game like Armageddon where PVP could turn up at the drop of a hat, without any warning, and death is permanent.

No lie, I'd be butt-hurt in the extreme to have 2-3 Warriors bullrush the shit out've me out of nowhere, ending my PC's life. When thinking about ideas, it helps to think of worse-case scenarios about how it could be abused because, most likely, it will be.
Quote from: LauraMars
Quote from: brytta.leofaLaura, did weird tribal men follow you around at age 15?
If by weird tribal men you mean Christians then yes.

Quote from: Malifaxis
She was teabagging me.

My own mother.

Quote from: Is Friday on May 18, 2013, 03:05:01 PM

Quote from: LauraMars on May 18, 2013, 03:09:20 PM
As for the idea itself, the 30% stamina cost is expensive enough where the skill would basically never be used except in the most extreme situations.  This isn't like Warcraft or other MMOs (which usually have a similar skill for warrior types), where your stamina or rage or whatever regenerates over time - you have to actually sit down and rest in order for your stamina to come back.

I see this being very prohibitive to outdoor roleplay also, as it instantly initiates combat from out of nowhere.

I'm confused. One of you state the skill is too easy to abuse but the other one states the skill is too prohibitive to be used except in seldom cases, which is what I basically wanted as I didn't want a spammable charge skill.

So which one is it?

May 18, 2013, 03:32:20 PM #13 Last Edit: May 18, 2013, 03:37:10 PM by hatchets
I like it, aslong as it has a decent 'delay' after use. So that you can't just bash someone instantly, they would have sufficient time to flee and run off. of course, the 30% then varies from player to player. I imagine having a set number would be better, like 50 stamina maybe.

(edit)

I would also add on something like Spears' naturally being set to recieve the charge. so that bullrushing someone with a spear could severely hurt you.

(double edit)

Further more though, what would be the 'fail' of a bull rush? You trip and fall on your face, still losing the stamina?
Life sucks, then you die.

May 18, 2013, 03:38:26 PM #14 Last Edit: May 18, 2013, 03:49:51 PM by IssacF
Quote from: hatchets on May 18, 2013, 03:32:20 PM
I like it, aslong as it has a decent 'delay' after use. So that you can't just bash someone instantly, they would have sufficient time to flee and run off. of course, the 30% then varies from player to player. I imagine having a set number would be better, like 50 stamina maybe.

(edit)

I would also add on something like Spears' naturally being set to recieve the charge. so that bullrushing someone with a spear could severely hurt you.

I like it. And yes I was thinking a delay perhaps before and after. Perhaps a considerable one that puts you in a short interval of a disadvantage. ~5-6 seconds after?

Edit: Good thinking! Probably expends stamina, still gets a delay to act and ends up prone and unable to stand for a few seconds as if Bashed perhaps?

Quote from: IssacF on May 18, 2013, 03:29:14 PM

I'm confused. One of you state the skill is too easy to abuse but the other one states the skill is too prohibitive to be used except in seldom cases, which is what I basically wanted as I didn't want a spammable charge skill.

So which one is it?

I don't have a problem with the stamina cost.  I actually don't hate the skill idea, either.  I like the idea of the mundane classes being more fleshed out and able to do more things.  But the idea of a mul warrior or half giant rushing at you from three rooms away to instantly initiate combat is terrifying.

Quote from: LauraMars on May 18, 2013, 03:41:10 PM

I don't have a problem with the stamina cost.  I actually don't hate the skill idea, either.  I like the idea of the mundane classes being more fleshed out and able to do more things.  But the idea of a mul warrior or half giant rushing at you from three rooms away to instantly initiate combat is terrifying. 

Well I'm all for ways to make it viable, not useless but not something that can be abused. I think a two room distance with a good delay that allows the other to retreat if one wanted to, since they get immediate initiative against the warrior bull rushing. I'm looking more of a tactical skill not another combat skill.

Quote from: LauraMars on May 18, 2013, 03:41:10 PM
Quote from: IssacF on May 18, 2013, 03:29:14 PM

So which one is it?

I honestly don't really see the gain in this. A warrior walking into a room and typing 'kill amos' already does this. And if someone is watching you from a distance, they will just run away. So is this meant to keep that person from being able to run away? Because that doesn't seem like a good idea to me. IF they saw you comign they should be able to react. If they didn't see you coming... you can just step in and engage combat from a bash.

The instance where this does anything would be in that split second you have to react, when someone enters a room, before they can attack you. And... Should that really go away?

I see your point. Well then perhaps it was a bad idea overall. I was aiming for something tactical in terms of closing distance. But I suppose you are right.

I like the idea of the skill of a warrior perhaps making it more difficult to flee from him.  Maybe that's already in place.
But generally thinking of any room as the size of your living room is probably a mistake.

The Gaj bar area is only one room - but on a busy night can hold many PCs very comfortably.  On an RP level there are various places within that one room - back of the bar, over by the kitchen entrance, over near where the characters are getting their boots stolen sleeping, standing by the bar, standing over by the lumpy, dragon-carved table, moving between a group of shit-smelling Bynners and another group of dusty travelers. And that's just the Gaj.  The city street is even bigger.  Or smaller, depending.

The coded "space" of the room is no indication of actually how big it is. The description really makes the room what it is.  Regarding outdoor rooms, I've heard they are "about a league" square but that would vary as well. It also means that anyone shooting an arrow from VERY FAR is an amazing shot.

Quote from: IssacF on May 18, 2013, 04:35:35 PM
I see your point. Well then perhaps it was a bad idea overall. I was aiming for something tactical in terms of closing distance. But I suppose you are right.

It is good to bring up new discussion points and ideas, though. :) Even if it isn't an idea that's implemented, it can help others think about the game in new ways.

Quote from: DustMight on May 18, 2013, 05:20:06 PM
I like the idea of the skill of a warrior perhaps making it more difficult to flee from him.  Maybe that's already in place.
But generally thinking of any room as the size of your living room is probably a mistake.

The Gaj bar area is only one room - but on a busy night can hold many PCs very comfortably.  On an RP level there are various places within that one room - back of the bar, over by the kitchen entrance, over near where the characters are getting their boots stolen sleeping, standing by the bar, standing over by the lumpy, dragon-carved table, moving between a group of shit-smelling Bynners and another group of dusty travelers. And that's just the Gaj.  The city street is even bigger.  Or smaller, depending.

The coded "space" of the room is no indication of actually how big it is. The description really makes the room what it is.  Regarding outdoor rooms, I've heard they are "about a league" square but that would vary as well. It also means that anyone shooting an arrow from VERY FAR is an amazing shot.

Which makes the skill have no sense as no being can sprint a few leagues almost instantly. Unless perhaps distance was taken into the equation. At any rate Id like to see something more tactical then just combat skills.

Doesn't Guard <Exit> Accomplish a bit of what you are saying of making it hard for a target to flee easily?

It's Charge...For warriors.

I remember recruiting this Half elf girl. And IMMEDIATELY taking her out on a contract. Right as we go into this gith hole I tell her "Remember your training, and you'll be fine." and she goes "I have no training." Then she died

I don't think that's how charge works, Fredd.

So, your a warrior (in this case a soldier) and you see someone (perhaps a criminal) three rooms away and they keep avoiding you, so you want to bull rush them.

The thing is, your on a crowded street. So you want to just shove through the vnpc crowd, perhaps your not impeded. But you want to wipe out your weapon and cut the criminal (perhaps criminal) down with out having the chance of cutting innocent and shocked (suprised by the charging soldier) down in this rush to get your man/woman.

Your suggesting perhaps that they too would not notice the curses and roar of the people as they are shoved through to get to them.

If we are talking in the city of coarse, which I am in this scenario.

It is an Idea that overpowers 1. a class that is very powerful 2. when applied to certain clans (if not all clans in their specified fields of interactions) doubly overpowering skill. As soldiers already hold an abusable power, the law.
The funny little foreign man

I often hear the jingle to -Riunite on ice- when I read the estate name Reynolte, eve though there ain't no ice in Zalanthas.