Warrior Skill: Bull Rush

Started by IssacF, May 18, 2013, 02:46:57 PM

Bull Rush
At the expense of 30% Stamina per use allows to move in a direct 'line' of up to three rooms: the one currently resided and up to two more. This allows the Warrior to immediately close the distance between Warrior and the target of the Bull Rush. Target is not hit, or stunned in any way, but are immediatly engaged in combat. However having the initiative of the first attacks.

Syntax

>bull rush <direction> <target>
>bull rush north Erving

This skill produces a short delay.

That would be awkward in desert rooms.

Quote from: spicemustflow on May 18, 2013, 02:53:18 PM
That would be awkward in desert rooms.

Would you elaborate please?

Well, some of those rooms are many leagues/miles/kilometers/whatever long, so it would be silly if you could sprint across that distance. I don't know, I'm talking from the immersion point of view.

Desert rooms are generally considered to be at least a mile long, each. This skill would allow the crossing of that distance with completely impossible speed.

If desert rooms really are a mile long, we already are crossing them with impossible speed.
Child, child, if you come to this doomed house, what is to save you?

A voice whispers, "Read the tales upon the walls."

Sounds like an easy-to-abuse skill.
Quote from: Fathi on March 08, 2018, 06:40:45 PMAnd then I sat there going "really? that was it? that's so stupid."

I still think the best closure you get in Armageddon is just moving on to the next character.

As for the idea itself, the 30% stamina cost is expensive enough where the skill would basically never be used except in the most extreme situations.  This isn't like Warcraft or other MMOs (which usually have a similar skill for warrior types), where your stamina or rage or whatever regenerates over time - you have to actually sit down and rest in order for your stamina to come back.

I see this being very prohibitive to outdoor roleplay also, as it instantly initiates combat from out of nowhere.

I'm pretty sure military clans or militant groups would use the hell out of this. It'll turn the Byn into roaming carru with a 3 room attack radius.
Quote from: Fathi on March 08, 2018, 06:40:45 PMAnd then I sat there going "really? that was it? that's so stupid."

I still think the best closure you get in Armageddon is just moving on to the next character.

Ah. So the skill is too powerful? The idea is basically a charge move that lets warriors suddenly close a distane between them and a target. Could be two rooms only: the one being resided and one other and the stamina cost dropped to 20%.

It's not gonna happen.

May 18, 2013, 03:25:39 PM #11 Last Edit: May 18, 2013, 03:28:07 PM by Gunnerblaster
Quote from: IssacF on May 18, 2013, 03:15:33 PM
Ah. So the skill is too powerful? The idea is basically a charge move that lets warriors suddenly close a distane between them and a target. Could be two rooms only: the one being resided and one other and the stamina cost dropped to 20%.

Yeah - If you take the time to play and fully master the skills of a Warrior - You'll realize that those mother fuckers are pretty dangerous, on their own. Making them able to insta-dash 3-rooms and auto-initiate combat would just fuck you up.

I imagine a fight going down like this:

>bullrush man east

>You rush 3 rooms to the east, engaging in combat with the black-haired man!

>bash man

>You bash the black-haired man, sending him sprawling!

>disarm man

>You deftly knock the black-haired man's weapon out of his hand.

Aaaand, within the scope of about 15 seconds - A warrior's engaged in combat, put his target in a position to where he can't escape, and then has disarmed him.

Edited to add:
It's a cool idea but I'd personally not want to see it in a game like Armageddon where PVP could turn up at the drop of a hat, without any warning, and death is permanent.

No lie, I'd be butt-hurt in the extreme to have 2-3 Warriors bullrush the shit out've me out of nowhere, ending my PC's life. When thinking about ideas, it helps to think of worse-case scenarios about how it could be abused because, most likely, it will be.
Quote from: LauraMars
Quote from: brytta.leofaLaura, did weird tribal men follow you around at age 15?
If by weird tribal men you mean Christians then yes.

Quote from: Malifaxis
She was teabagging me.

My own mother.

Quote from: Is Friday on May 18, 2013, 03:05:01 PM

Quote from: LauraMars on May 18, 2013, 03:09:20 PM
As for the idea itself, the 30% stamina cost is expensive enough where the skill would basically never be used except in the most extreme situations.  This isn't like Warcraft or other MMOs (which usually have a similar skill for warrior types), where your stamina or rage or whatever regenerates over time - you have to actually sit down and rest in order for your stamina to come back.

I see this being very prohibitive to outdoor roleplay also, as it instantly initiates combat from out of nowhere.

I'm confused. One of you state the skill is too easy to abuse but the other one states the skill is too prohibitive to be used except in seldom cases, which is what I basically wanted as I didn't want a spammable charge skill.

So which one is it?

May 18, 2013, 03:32:20 PM #13 Last Edit: May 18, 2013, 03:37:10 PM by hatchets
I like it, aslong as it has a decent 'delay' after use. So that you can't just bash someone instantly, they would have sufficient time to flee and run off. of course, the 30% then varies from player to player. I imagine having a set number would be better, like 50 stamina maybe.

(edit)

I would also add on something like Spears' naturally being set to recieve the charge. so that bullrushing someone with a spear could severely hurt you.

(double edit)

Further more though, what would be the 'fail' of a bull rush? You trip and fall on your face, still losing the stamina?
Life sucks, then you die.

May 18, 2013, 03:38:26 PM #14 Last Edit: May 18, 2013, 03:49:51 PM by IssacF
Quote from: hatchets on May 18, 2013, 03:32:20 PM
I like it, aslong as it has a decent 'delay' after use. So that you can't just bash someone instantly, they would have sufficient time to flee and run off. of course, the 30% then varies from player to player. I imagine having a set number would be better, like 50 stamina maybe.

(edit)

I would also add on something like Spears' naturally being set to recieve the charge. so that bullrushing someone with a spear could severely hurt you.

I like it. And yes I was thinking a delay perhaps before and after. Perhaps a considerable one that puts you in a short interval of a disadvantage. ~5-6 seconds after?

Edit: Good thinking! Probably expends stamina, still gets a delay to act and ends up prone and unable to stand for a few seconds as if Bashed perhaps?

Quote from: IssacF on May 18, 2013, 03:29:14 PM

I'm confused. One of you state the skill is too easy to abuse but the other one states the skill is too prohibitive to be used except in seldom cases, which is what I basically wanted as I didn't want a spammable charge skill.

So which one is it?

I don't have a problem with the stamina cost.  I actually don't hate the skill idea, either.  I like the idea of the mundane classes being more fleshed out and able to do more things.  But the idea of a mul warrior or half giant rushing at you from three rooms away to instantly initiate combat is terrifying.

Quote from: LauraMars on May 18, 2013, 03:41:10 PM

I don't have a problem with the stamina cost.  I actually don't hate the skill idea, either.  I like the idea of the mundane classes being more fleshed out and able to do more things.  But the idea of a mul warrior or half giant rushing at you from three rooms away to instantly initiate combat is terrifying. 

Well I'm all for ways to make it viable, not useless but not something that can be abused. I think a two room distance with a good delay that allows the other to retreat if one wanted to, since they get immediate initiative against the warrior bull rushing. I'm looking more of a tactical skill not another combat skill.

Quote from: LauraMars on May 18, 2013, 03:41:10 PM
Quote from: IssacF on May 18, 2013, 03:29:14 PM

So which one is it?

I honestly don't really see the gain in this. A warrior walking into a room and typing 'kill amos' already does this. And if someone is watching you from a distance, they will just run away. So is this meant to keep that person from being able to run away? Because that doesn't seem like a good idea to me. IF they saw you comign they should be able to react. If they didn't see you coming... you can just step in and engage combat from a bash.

The instance where this does anything would be in that split second you have to react, when someone enters a room, before they can attack you. And... Should that really go away?

I see your point. Well then perhaps it was a bad idea overall. I was aiming for something tactical in terms of closing distance. But I suppose you are right.

I like the idea of the skill of a warrior perhaps making it more difficult to flee from him.  Maybe that's already in place.
But generally thinking of any room as the size of your living room is probably a mistake.

The Gaj bar area is only one room - but on a busy night can hold many PCs very comfortably.  On an RP level there are various places within that one room - back of the bar, over by the kitchen entrance, over near where the characters are getting their boots stolen sleeping, standing by the bar, standing over by the lumpy, dragon-carved table, moving between a group of shit-smelling Bynners and another group of dusty travelers. And that's just the Gaj.  The city street is even bigger.  Or smaller, depending.

The coded "space" of the room is no indication of actually how big it is. The description really makes the room what it is.  Regarding outdoor rooms, I've heard they are "about a league" square but that would vary as well. It also means that anyone shooting an arrow from VERY FAR is an amazing shot.

Quote from: IssacF on May 18, 2013, 04:35:35 PM
I see your point. Well then perhaps it was a bad idea overall. I was aiming for something tactical in terms of closing distance. But I suppose you are right.

It is good to bring up new discussion points and ideas, though. :) Even if it isn't an idea that's implemented, it can help others think about the game in new ways.

Quote from: DustMight on May 18, 2013, 05:20:06 PM
I like the idea of the skill of a warrior perhaps making it more difficult to flee from him.  Maybe that's already in place.
But generally thinking of any room as the size of your living room is probably a mistake.

The Gaj bar area is only one room - but on a busy night can hold many PCs very comfortably.  On an RP level there are various places within that one room - back of the bar, over by the kitchen entrance, over near where the characters are getting their boots stolen sleeping, standing by the bar, standing over by the lumpy, dragon-carved table, moving between a group of shit-smelling Bynners and another group of dusty travelers. And that's just the Gaj.  The city street is even bigger.  Or smaller, depending.

The coded "space" of the room is no indication of actually how big it is. The description really makes the room what it is.  Regarding outdoor rooms, I've heard they are "about a league" square but that would vary as well. It also means that anyone shooting an arrow from VERY FAR is an amazing shot.

Which makes the skill have no sense as no being can sprint a few leagues almost instantly. Unless perhaps distance was taken into the equation. At any rate Id like to see something more tactical then just combat skills.

Doesn't Guard <Exit> Accomplish a bit of what you are saying of making it hard for a target to flee easily?

It's Charge...For warriors.

I remember recruiting this Half elf girl. And IMMEDIATELY taking her out on a contract. Right as we go into this gith hole I tell her "Remember your training, and you'll be fine." and she goes "I have no training." Then she died

I don't think that's how charge works, Fredd.

So, your a warrior (in this case a soldier) and you see someone (perhaps a criminal) three rooms away and they keep avoiding you, so you want to bull rush them.

The thing is, your on a crowded street. So you want to just shove through the vnpc crowd, perhaps your not impeded. But you want to wipe out your weapon and cut the criminal (perhaps criminal) down with out having the chance of cutting innocent and shocked (suprised by the charging soldier) down in this rush to get your man/woman.

Your suggesting perhaps that they too would not notice the curses and roar of the people as they are shoved through to get to them.

If we are talking in the city of coarse, which I am in this scenario.

It is an Idea that overpowers 1. a class that is very powerful 2. when applied to certain clans (if not all clans in their specified fields of interactions) doubly overpowering skill. As soldiers already hold an abusable power, the law.
The funny little foreign man

I often hear the jingle to -Riunite on ice- when I read the estate name Reynolte, eve though there ain't no ice in Zalanthas.

May 18, 2013, 07:38:35 PM #25 Last Edit: May 18, 2013, 07:45:04 PM by musashi
Yeah that's not how charge works. But yeah I think the abuse implications and virtual world factors make it a bad idea to implement.

My advice, if you wanna bull rush someone from 2 rooms away as a warrior, use this:

> run
> e
> e
> bash amos
Quote from: Marauder Moe
Oh my god he's still rocking the sandwich.

Quote from: MeTekillot on May 18, 2013, 07:25:00 PM
I don't think that's how charge works, Fredd.

I may have only read the first sentence, and thought it was like 5 others similar.

You caught me. I must be getting old in this game.
I remember recruiting this Half elf girl. And IMMEDIATELY taking her out on a contract. Right as we go into this gith hole I tell her "Remember your training, and you'll be fine." and she goes "I have no training." Then she died

This would reduce roleplay opportunities.  Dude walks into room and confronts you, scene develops, fighting happens, mantishead.  Dude bumrushes you, mantishead.  I prefer the former.
Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

Quote from: Delirium on August 04, 2014, 10:11:38 AM
fuck authority smoke weed erryday

oh and here's a free videogame.

Quote from: lordcooper on May 19, 2013, 12:26:53 AM
This would reduce roleplay opportunities.  Dude walks into room and confronts you, scene develops, fighting happens, mantishead.  Dude bumrushes you, mantishead.  I prefer the former.

How it really happens 99% of the time:

Dude walks in.
Dude attacks.
Dude spams kick.
Dude spams bash.
Dude spams disarm.
Mantis head (for someone).

Or the popular alternative:

Dude walks in.

>run
>e
>e
>e
>hide

Dude walks in.

Dude walks off.

>lolz

Sorry, but I just don't see a lot of scenes develop, just a lot of code spam to make sure X dies or X gets away. It is a code based system, after all.

I agree the skill idea is a little WAY over the top, but claiming it's going to reduce RP opportunities is a stretch at best.
Someone says, out of character:
     "Sorry, was a wolf outside, had to warn someone."

Quote from: Wastrel on July 05, 2013, 04:51:17 AMBUT NEERRRR IM A STEALTHY ASSASSIN HEMOTING. BUTBUTBUTBUTBUT. Shut. Up.

I think charge and bash adequately cover this proposed skill.

If you want to get to combat quickly you can 'run'.
I tripped and Fale down my stairs. Drink milk and you'll grow Uaptal. I know this guy from the state of Tenneshi. This house will go up Borsail tomorrow. I gave my book to him Nenyuk it back again. I hired this guy golfing to Kadius around for a while.

Quote from: Bogre on May 19, 2013, 07:12:08 AM
I think charge and bash adequately cover this proposed skill.

If you want to get to combat quickly you can 'run'.

This.  And carefully planning to corner the target, tire him out, run him into a nearby scavaging beetle whatev.  I speak from the experience of the target. Just sayin'.

May 19, 2013, 12:10:54 PM #31 Last Edit: May 19, 2013, 12:12:35 PM by Morrolan
Quote from: Vwest on May 19, 2013, 06:59:04 AM
I agree the skill idea is a little WAY over the top, but claiming it's going to reduce RP opportunities is a stretch at best.

My experience disagrees with yours. My characters have been raided many, many times over the years, with a variety of results. Even the ones that were killed almost always got some interaction first, unless the attacker was an NPC. In fact, I think the only one that was killed was the half-elf newbie who refused to back down to a half-giant, with predictable results (squish).

The "bull rush" skill would effectively endorse (and code advantages for!) "e;e;bash bob". I vastly prefer the following:

QuoteThe cloaked raider has arrived from the east, whistling calmly through parched lips with an axe over his shoulder.

(The cloaked raider begins watching you.)
With a professional once-over, the cloaked raider looks at you, up and down.

The cloaked raider says, with a casual smile, nodding his head westward, "Hey. My buddy with the bow over there...he's a great frickin' shot. So, to avoid trouble, let's say you just leave your bracers on the ground and walk away."

I know that when I've been raided like that, I've always played along. Yeah, maybe codedly I could slugfest it out with the guy...maybe his buddy doesn't even have a bow. But my characters often aren't looking for a fight, unless that's their actual paid job. A couple of hundred 'sid is a small price to day. My characters might even counteroffer, "Here, I'll give you a hundred a week, but you feed me information on who's passing through.
"I have seen him show most of the attributes one expects of a noble: courtesy, kindness, and honor.  I would also say he is one of the most bloodthirsty bastards I have ever met."

Quote from: musashi on May 18, 2013, 07:38:35 PM
Yeah that's not how charge works. But yeah I think the abuse implications and virtual world factors make it a bad idea to implement.

My advice, if you wanna bull rush someone from 2 rooms away as a warrior, use this:

> run
> e
> e
> bash amos

I will probably just create an alias called rush or chrg and make it similar to that. Thanks everyone for the kind replies and making me see the skill is unnecessary.

Quote from: Morrolan on May 19, 2013, 12:10:54 PM
Quote from: Vwest on May 19, 2013, 06:59:04 AM
My experience disagrees with yours.

You must have vastly better luck with players then I do.

Quote from: Wastrel on July 05, 2013, 04:51:17 AMBUT NEERRRR IM A STEALTHY ASSASSIN HEMOTING. BUTBUTBUTBUTBUT. Shut. Up.

Quote from: Fredd on May 18, 2013, 07:22:12 PM

It's Charge...For warriors.

Yeah no, Charge is much more like Bash... ie, must be in same room, only with the disadvantage of being unable to actually be engaged in combat when you attempt it. Where you CAN bash something you are fighting, you must be disengaged to charge it.

So... really, the proposed Bull Rush isn't like Charge at all except both initiate combat once used.

As far as the idea itself... ehh. I see what you mean. But it seems a little too much like an insta-teleport attack.
Quote from: jhunterI'm gonna show up at your home and violate you with a weedeater.  :twisted:

I do not know what experiences you have had Vwest, but remember, there is a diffrence between intent to raid and intent to murder.

Raiders/highwaymen don't want the mark dead...but there is also the PC who intends to kill...that is not a raider.

If I play a raider, I often do as has already said, emotes confidence etc, ask nicely for an item or two or a toll...whatever.

If I am playing a killer, be it somebody on an assassins contract, bounty, hates elves...whatever. Well, you might get an emote, but it will be followed directly with action...as I do not intend to let you get away.

Now sometimes a raider has the intent to kill...usually this is only when the mark has already shown they will run.

I wonder how many times I have raided Morrolan's PCs...seems they have at least survived...I often sent kudos to smart marks.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

[rant]
Armageddon can be 'won', in a sense. When you have high karma, you proved to yourself and to the staff that you are dependable, active and three dimensional role player. I want to 'win' armageddon in that sense. Even with my first character, after reading the documents, my aim was to 'win' armageddon.

Once, my third character, a Tuluki met a magicker outdoors. She froze. No I did not, she did. I quickly started emoting how she froze, how she cowered with no willpower to fight back or even to flee etc. The other character played along pretty well. We enjoyed it. Then I ran, I spammed all the directions because that's what my character would do. Result: "Did a good job of roleplaying a scared-shitless Tuluki commoner (over magickers).", +1 karma.

I've never met an auto-fleer because I don't raid, but I've never met an autoattacker either. They come, emote, I respond, we RP, then most possibly the scene ends with me giving some coins and riding the f**k out of there. I will keep on doing the same because not only it's more fun, it also approaches me closer to 'winning'. I cannot understand why anyone would do otherwise.
[/rant]

Back to the topic; maybe we can reverse the logic? Let's say...

3987/3987hp 3611/3620mp 3966/3966st>l
The person you want dead is here.
3987/3987hp 3611/3620mp 3966/3966st>l n
Through a door, a deserted room is here.
[Near]
*A strange shadow is here*
3987/3987hp 3611/3620mp 3966/3966st>tell person (pointing northwards) Why don't we talk over there?
Pointing northwards, you say to the person you want dead, in Sirihish:
   "Why don't we talk over there?"
3987/3987hp 3611/3620mp 3966/3966st>
The person you want dead says, in southern-accented Sirihish:
   "Nah.. Here's fine..."
3987/3987hp 3611/3620mp 3966/3966st>think No you will, sirrah!
You think:
   "No you will, sirrah!"
3987/3987hp 3611/3620mp 3966/3966st>say (growling, then charging forward) GET... IN!
Growling, then charging forward, you exclaim, in Sirihish:
   "GET... IN!"
3987/3987hp 3611/3620mp 3966/3966st>bullrush person n
You succesfully bullrush the person you want dead northwards.
A deserted room [n quit]
This is a deserted room. It's really deserted.
The person you want killed is resting here.
3987/3987hp 3589/3620mp 3966/3966st>close door
3987/3987hp 3589/3620mp 3966/3966st>
You close the southern door.
It's already closed.
The person you want killed coughs blood as someone stabs him between the ribs.
3987/3987hp 3589/3620mp 3966/3966st>hit person

A coded skill that makes you bullrush folks to another room. It branches from 'bash'. It triggers crimcode if either of the rooms is crimflagged. It doesn't initiate combat but NPCs become aggressive to your character as if attacked. Its delay is 'after' and based on your skill, you may remain delayed before the other person stands and runs away/gets the first hit. The other person also gets a delay based on your skill, but the combat is not initiated so you can't take advantage of it before 'hit'ting him. Failed attempt results in a light health loss and falling because the person you tried to bullrush tossed you away/tripped you.

Discuss?
Q  : Where do you piss?
Yam: On elves.
Q  : And if the area, lacks elves at the given time?
Yam: Scan.

Rename it 'carru' and I'm in.

To the OP, I do not know how new you are (10 posts, so assuming new) but this is not a PK strategy-focused mud.  I came from a PK strategy-focused mud (Carrionfields) and it was a little irritating at first.  I think the thing that got me most was that I could never pin down an enemy; bash in this game just isn't like it was in my other game and attack lag means that anybody who wants to get away from your melee class, gets away (there are some exceptions, of course).  I would suggest stuff kind of like this and it was generally shot down.  After playing this mud for a while (years and years) I came to enjoy its focus and I realized why they do not have skills like this.  It is such an awesome game without a flawless tactical combat focus.  You really have to re-align your thinking in order to not be disappointed, and when you finally do, its great.  There's more that I would write on that but I got to go to work in a second :).

More specifically, to your skill idea:

(a) This would be imbalancing.  Warriors are powerful compared to the other mundane classes (and non-mundane, I suppose), the main thing being their potential for overall offense/defense skills, i.e. higher caps and quicker progression to an extent greater than other muds with similar classes (warrior/thief/ranger/etc.).  There is no reason to give them this and buff them, and not someone else.

(b) As they stated, the skill would inhibit RP.

- From another hack 'n slash PK mud refugee (though I've been playing Arm now for 10+ years, so I'm a looooong-term refugee).

May 20, 2013, 01:36:58 PM #39 Last Edit: May 20, 2013, 01:40:02 PM by Desertman
Right now with a ranger in the wilderness I can run circles around groups of warriors and kill them at will without much fear of actually being caught. No group of less than three would even begin to worry me in a fight in the wilderness. Why? Because I am a ranger. That is where I reign supreme. That is the way it should be.

Put me in the city, or on the battlefield, and one warrior with half of the time played on their PC that I have on my PC can wreck my ranger in melee with no effort. Literally, I likely won't land a single hit on them.

If you implement this skill this is what you will get;

A white-fletched arrow flies in from the north striking the warrior-man in his neck.

The warrior-man instantly bull rushes to the north, instantly engaging the unseen archer in combat before they can draw another arrow/hide/move.

This skill would make my rangers suddenly half as potent in the wilderness, and still not even worth considering in melee.

If warriors get instant engage bull rush, I want no delay hide for master rangers/assassins, and no delay after firing arrows/throwing weapons.

I don't like this idea. But then again, I don't play many warriors, so I am biased.
Quote from: James de Monet on April 09, 2015, 01:54:57 AM
My phone now autocorrects "damn" to Dman.
Quote from: deathkamon on November 14, 2015, 12:29:56 AM
The young daughter has been filled.

I just felt compelled to come back her and say, think really hard about how overpowered and abusable it is, cause as much as those terms keep getting thrown around it is unrealistic to be either.

They charge in, with a suggested delay giving them NO CHANCE TO INSTOBASH YOU DOWN so you have time to FLEE they lose a large chunk of stamina, meaning they can use it MAYBE three times before they are completely tired.

Now let's all remember what happens if you are outdoors and tired, and someone in the area has a bow and you gotta sit down for the next 20 minutes to get 8 points of stamina to be able to move one room.

Same pretty much goes in city, you just gotta flee.

The best the ability does is cause the one being charged to panic a moment, giving a small chance to have others surround them in their slight moment of confusion. I still like the suggestion, changes things up a bit. But the terms overpowered or abusable neither fit the skill suggestion.
Life sucks, then you die.

Quote from: evil_erdlu on May 20, 2013, 05:37:10 AM
Let's say...

[Near]
3987/3987hp 3611/3620mp 3966/3966st>tell person (pointing northwards) Why don't we talk over there?
   "Nah.. Here's fine..."
You think:
   "No you will, sirrah!"
3987/3987hp 3611/3620mp 3966/3966st>say (growling, then charging forward) GET... IN!
   "GET... IN!"
A deserted room [n quit]
It's already closed.

A coded skill that makes you bullrush folks to another room. It branches from 'bash'. It triggers crimcode if either of the rooms is crimflagged. It doesn't initiate combat but NPCs become aggressive to your character as if attacked. Its delay is 'after' and based on your skill, you may remain delayed before the other person stands and runs away/gets the first hit. The other person also gets a delay based on your skill, but the combat is not initiated so you can't take advantage of it before 'hit'ting him. Failed attempt results in a light health loss and falling because the person you tried to bullrush tossed you away/tripped you.

Discuss?

I like this much better.
Quote from: jhunterI'm gonna show up at your home and violate you with a weedeater.  :twisted:

I've been wanting a carru/gizhat bash script available to high end Warrior-bash for a while now.
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

Well if warriors get bull-rush I want functional caltrops.

I often hear the jingle to -Riunite on ice- when I read the estate name Reynolte, eve though there ain't no ice in Zalanthas.

A little confused by this one - seems like a good way to get yourself murdered.

Would you suffer stacked lag from moving X-number of rooms + lag for kill/initiating combat?

It would probably give your opponent six seconds of free evil stuff to do to you once they flee out of your initial attacks...
Anonymous:  I don't get why magickers are so amazingly powerful in Arm.

Anonymous:  I mean... the concept of making one class completely dominating, and able to crush any other class after 5 days of power-playing, seems ridiculous to me.

Quote from: Riev on May 20, 2013, 05:23:43 PM
I've been wanting a carru/gizhat bash script available to high end Warrior-bash for a while now.

Damn.. I've yet to see a carru-gizhat bash... Everyone speaks about it. I guess I will play an outdoorsy warrior at last.

That's generally why we're not supposed to talk about things like scripts animals may or may not have., or anything not covered in the help files and public docs, really.

Newbies haven't experienced the joys of wildlife critters yet. Lets stop ruining the surprises.

We should totally give this superpower to gith. And meks.
"I have seen him show most of the attributes one expects of a noble: courtesy, kindness, and honor.  I would also say he is one of the most bloodthirsty bastards I have ever met."

Quote from: Morrolan on May 21, 2013, 02:26:40 AM
We should totally give this superpower to gith. And meks.

Ooh, and give Silt Horrors a variant, only instead of them charging you from 2 rooms away, they can use a tentacle ability from 2 rooms away that pulls you into the silt!

And they need to scream the Scorpion "GET OVER HERE!!" from Mortal Kombat when they do it.

Hey, I've thrown together a little mock-up of how this skill might look if it was implemented:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFufoOgCMW8

The warrior uses bull rush around about 00:42.

Quote from: Rathustra on May 21, 2013, 05:40:29 PM
Hey, I've thrown together a little mock-up of how this skill might look if it was implemented:

*SNICKER*

"Hey..."

ROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOFL

Nice.

May 22, 2013, 12:36:12 AM #54 Last Edit: May 22, 2013, 12:40:11 AM by IssacF
Quote from: hatchets on May 20, 2013, 03:52:44 PM
I just felt compelled to come back her and say, think really hard about how overpowered and abusable it is, cause as much as those terms keep getting thrown around it is unrealistic to be either.

They charge in, with a suggested delay giving them NO CHANCE TO INSTOBASH YOU DOWN so you have time to FLEE they lose a large chunk of stamina, meaning they can use it MAYBE three times before they are completely tired.

Now let's all remember what happens if you are outdoors and tired, and someone in the area has a bow and you gotta sit down for the next 20 minutes to get 8 points of stamina to be able to move one room.

Same pretty much goes in city, you just gotta flee.

The best the ability does is cause the one being charged to panic a moment, giving a small chance to have others surround them in their slight moment of confusion. I still like the suggestion, changes things up a bit. But the terms overpowered or abusable neither fit the skill suggestion.

Ah someone got the gist of it.

No it doesn't allow you to follow with any other attack such as kick, disarm or bash because of the delay after. It doesn't allow the bull rusher to attack at the beginning of that delay either just to put the opponent in engaged combat. The opponent has the initiative so they can either be the ones to use the skills (if BR another warrior that opposing warrior can Bash you) or flee.

Because of the Stamina it can't be spammed either. The idea was a strategic way to quickly engage. I think I'll just do suggest it works one extra room and nothing more. But Stamina would be a much smaller cost then.

Then you didn't read the description because it clearly states the BR Warrior does not get the initiative in attack. Nor able to use any skills right after a BR. All they do is get into the fight quicker to engage opponent in melee. They don't stun or affect the opponent or get an attack off immediately after a BR. Opponent does however get the initiative. They can even flee instead.

Even if your target is one room away, that is typically equivalent to about a mile if outside a city.  If you're within a city there are probably at least a few dozen vnpc types in the way.  There are an incredibly small number of scenarios where this skill would make sense, and probably even less where it would add (rather than subtract) to a scene.

Again ...

> run
> e
> e
> bash figure

Will currently accomplish what you're after.

Quote from: IssacF on May 22, 2013, 12:43:07 AM

Then you didn't read the description because it clearly states the BR Warrior does not get the initiative in attack. Nor able to use any skills right after a BR. All they do is get into the fight quicker to engage opponent in melee. They don't stun or affect the opponent or get an attack off immediately after a BR. Opponent does however get the initiative. They can even flee instead.

My bad! I'll call Mr. Cleese & Co. and we'll get to filming a more accurate version this weekend.

Quote from: Potaje on May 20, 2013, 06:07:37 PM
Well if warriors get bull-rush I want functional caltrops.

Edited out. Just realized not everyone has seen this when I read the thread a little further.

Quote from: evil_erdlu on May 20, 2013, 05:37:10 AM
[rant]
Armageddon can be 'won', in a sense. When you have high karma, you proved to yourself and to the staff that you are dependable, active and three dimensional role player. I want to 'win' armageddon in that sense. Even with my first character, after reading the documents, my aim was to 'win' armageddon.

Once, my third character, a Tuluki met a magicker outdoors. She froze. No I did not, she did. I quickly started emoting how she froze, how she cowered with no willpower to fight back or even to flee etc. The other character played along pretty well. We enjoyed it. Then I ran, I spammed all the directions because that's what my character would do. Result: "Did a good job of roleplaying a scared-shitless Tuluki commoner (over magickers).", +1 karma.

I've never met an auto-fleer because I don't raid, but I've never met an autoattacker either. They come, emote, I respond, we RP, then most possibly the scene ends with me giving some coins and riding the f**k out of there. I will keep on doing the same because not only it's more fun, it also approaches me closer to 'winning'. I cannot understand why anyone would do otherwise.
[/rant]

Back to the topic; maybe we can reverse the logic? Let's say...

[Near]
   "Nah.. Here's fine..."
You think:
   "No you will, sirrah!"
   "GET... IN!"
A deserted room [n quit]
It's already closed.

Discuss?

Didn't see this. This actually sounds a lot better than my suggestion. And I assume this BR type can only be used in cities? Would make sense to only work in cities.

Quote from: Rathustra on May 22, 2013, 08:43:47 AM

My bad! I'll call Mr. Cleese & Co. and we'll get to filming a more accurate version this weekend.

Err, sorry, sir ...  mistake at the copiers, we filmed you Bunny Rush.

May 22, 2013, 04:08:42 PM #62 Last Edit: May 22, 2013, 04:10:41 PM by IssacF
Quote from: Kismetic on May 22, 2013, 02:14:08 PM
Quote from: Rathustra on May 22, 2013, 08:43:47 AM

Err, sorry, sir ...  mistake at the copiers, we filmed you Bunny Rush.

This one was very good! I laughed so hard!

Anyway I get it. No one wants to discuss strategic skill options for Warriors. Guess they are all about kick-disarm-bash.

I personally think that the current combat skills, while basic, are enough to work off of and supplement with strategy-related roleplay. In fact, they're most likely set up that way on purpose, so that you can roleplay a bull rush by doing "run, an emote, east, east, another emote, bash" instead of just typing bull amos east, and roleplay a whole host of interesting maneuvers with the basic skills of all the classes in a similar fashion. Warriors aren't just tied to a handful of skills. Through creativity on the player's part, they can be about a whole lot more.

Quote from: lordcooper on May 22, 2013, 05:22:22 AM
Even if your target is one room away, that is typically equivalent to about a mile if outside a city.  If you're within a city there are probably at least a few dozen vnpc types in the way.  There are an incredibly small number of scenarios where this skill would make sense, and probably even less where it would add (rather than subtract) to a scene.

I envision half-giant warriors bull-rushing  in cities: In the wake of the charging monstrosity that is the armor clad giant, small children, frail people old and young lay scattered, broken and writhing in pain about the city street. A few bodies have found themselves impaled upon jutting bone poles from broken carts, slashed up from shattered pottery shards and a trail of gore and bloody long striding foot prints lead east.

Very far to the east:

A giant stands here, gore clinging to his ankles and dripping from his spiked shield.
Bodies are scattered broken, stunned  and people cower.
A body of a small man is here
far to the east:
Bodies are scattered broken, stunned  and people cower some begin to cry.

near to the east:
Bodies are scattered broken, stunned  and people cower some begin to cry, pointing east.

in the room:
Soldiers begin to gather

Okay, put it in, but only for half-giants.

Quote from: Potaje on May 22, 2013, 07:17:13 PM
Quote from: lordcooper on May 22, 2013, 05:22:22 AM
Even if your target is one room away, that is typically equivalent to about a mile if outside a city.  If you're within a city there are probably at least a few dozen vnpc types in the way.  There are an incredibly small number of scenarios where this skill would make sense, and probably even less where it would add (rather than subtract) to a scene.

I envision half-giant warriors bull-rushing  in cities: In the wake of the charging monstrosity that is the armor clad giant, small children, frail people old and young lay scattered, broken and writhing in pain about the city street. A few bodies have found themselves impaled upon jutting bone poles from broken carts, slashed up from shattered pottery shards and a trail of gore and bloody long striding foot prints lead east.

Very far to the east:

A giant stands here, gore clinging to his ankles and dripping from his spiked shield.
Bodies are scattered broken, stunned  and people cower.
A body of a small man is here
far to the east:
Bodies are scattered broken, stunned  and people cower some begin to cry.

near to the east:
Bodies are scattered broken, stunned  and people cower some begin to cry, pointing east.

in the room:
Soldiers begin to gather

That would happen anytime they'd run around the city.

My idea for BR is unnecessary as Simone pointed out I can do:
Alias chrgE run; e; e; bash %1
Alias chrgN run; n; n; bash %1
Alias chrgW run; w; w; bash %1
Alias chrgS run; s; s; bash %1

Only works on targets two room away.

#alias bull run; %2; %2; bash %1

>bull amos e
Useful tips: Commands |  |Storytelling:  1  2

We can make a complex script that reads everything after [near], [far] etc, splits them into keywords, then when you type 'bullrush <keyword>' it finds where you have seen him, runs, moves over there and types 'bash <keyword>'..

If I can have time to read about MushClient's object model, I can do it I guess.

I just realized that this MUD Warriors don't have two skills that are usually seen in a lot of other MUDs Warcry and Berserk. I assume it is because of how powerful Warrior already is in a close combat.

And for low fantasy setting reasons.

Mundanes do mundane things. They don't get skills that effectively ape magick buffs by a different name.

Quote from: musashi on May 23, 2013, 07:26:03 AM
And for low fantasy setting reasons.

Mundanes do mundane things. They don't get skills that effectively ape magick buffs by a different name.

Warcry is iffy. But Berserk I never saw as a magical buff. Just as an incredible surge of adrenaline. Real people can and have gone 'berserk' with the incredible adrenaline surges making them hard to take down. There is even an incident about a medicinal herb of some sort used to force someone into that state.

Quote from: Delirium on May 23, 2013, 08:23:55 AM
IssacF: check out spice in-game.

It would be cool if one of those narcotics induced a fury. But then again I believe there is already a berserk type: Mul.

Quote from: IssacF on May 23, 2013, 09:41:49 AM

It would be cool if one of those narcotics induced a fury. But then again I believe there is already a berserk type: Mul.

No. Seriously.

Check them out IG.

Quote from: Qzzrbl on May 23, 2013, 09:50:46 AM
Quote from: IssacF on May 23, 2013, 09:41:49 AM

No. Seriously.

Check them out IG.

Ah. Okay. Hint taken. But it's illegal in 'Nak so there goes my plan of recreating the effects of Berserk with Spice.

All in all Im warming up to Warriors and even created two aliases that go:
run; 2%; bash 1%
run; 2%;2%; bash 1%

Heh...those will be most amusing when you run up against certain things/skills. alright, maybe not so amusing for you're PC.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

Quote from: IssacF on May 23, 2013, 11:44:14 AM

Ah. Okay. Hint taken. But it's illegal in 'Nak so there goes my plan of recreating the effects of Berserk with Spice.

What kind of berserker are you?

"I'd go into a blood rage, but I don't wanna get busted by the authorities"

I judge you, sir.

You ask the shady mul spice dealer about "spice that will put me in a crazy, unstoppable bloodrage."

The shady mul spice dealer stares at you, not amused.

;D  ;D  ;D

But on a more serious note... if something is illegal in a city-state that doesn't mean your character can't decide to break the law.

The consequences of getting caught - or the thrill of getting away with it - are all part of the story you'll be creating.

Quote from: lordcooper on May 22, 2013, 07:38:52 PM
Okay, put it in, but only for half-giants.

Actually fine with this.