Discussion of Changes to ArmageddonMUD

Started by Adhira, March 31, 2013, 01:34:50 PM

Now you're looking for the secret. But you won't find it because of course, you're not really looking. You don't really want to work it out. You want to be fooled.

I, for one, welcome our new PG-rated overlords.

Quote from: Morrolan on March 31, 2013, 04:42:35 PM
They had me until "to ensure that it is a safer and more predictable environment for those concerned".

P.S. Is the writer of the post a professional bureaucrat? It reads like it. (I know, I have written similar things.)

That's when I started questioning it, too.

And Adhira is a professional bureaucrat.

Oh god. I laughed so hard.
Quote from: Wug on August 28, 2013, 05:59:06 AM
Vennant doesn't appear to age because he serves drinks at the speed of light. Now you know why there's no delay on the buy code in the Gaj.

Other than the removal of consent for anything beyond PG, the Clan-Specific forums, and the OOC chat - I was pretty down for everything else.

* New players will be limited to Human only for their first 2 characters.  The armageddon concepts of dwarf and elf are not the fantasy norm.  We notice that many new players have difficulty playing these roles. We will be limiting new players to the human race only for the first 2 characters in order to give them time to acclimate to our game before launching these more challenging roles.

* We will be tweaking our previously stated goal of running player created plots only.  For the past 2 years staff have been running 'seasonal'plotlines where they have been allowed to create staff led plotlines within a set time frame.  We will be removing the seasonal limitations and allowing staff to once again create plotlines.  Staff plotlines will have the overall aim of involving players and advancing changes to the game world.  High level NPCs will still be restricted in terms of animation time and reports to clans will continue to be made via the request tool as the primary method.

These two additions would've blown my mind.
Quote from: LauraMars
Quote from: brytta.leofaLaura, did weird tribal men follow you around at age 15?
If by weird tribal men you mean Christians then yes.

Quote from: Malifaxis
She was teabagging me.

My own mother.

I dunno, I'd be down with clan boards actually being used again.

Quote from: MeTekillot on March 31, 2013, 05:19:18 PM
I dunno, I'd be down with clan boards actually being used again.

Be the change.
Useful tips: Commands |  |Storytelling:  1  2

It would certainly cut down the excuses people have for "accidentally" posting controversial opinions on their alt accounts because they "forgot" to log into their main account.

Quote from: Gunnerblaster on March 31, 2013, 05:13:11 PM
Other than the removal of consent for anything beyond PG, the Clan-Specific forums, and the OOC chat - I was pretty down for everything else.

* New players will be limited to Human only for their first 2 characters.  The armageddon concepts of dwarf and elf are not the fantasy norm.  We notice that many new players have difficulty playing these roles. We will be limiting new players to the human race only for the first 2 characters in order to give them time to acclimate to our game before launching these more challenging roles.

* We will be tweaking our previously stated goal of running player created plots only.  For the past 2 years staff have been running 'seasonal'plotlines where they have been allowed to create staff led plotlines within a set time frame.  We will be removing the seasonal limitations and allowing staff to once again create plotlines.  Staff plotlines will have the overall aim of involving players and advancing changes to the game world.  High level NPCs will still be restricted in terms of animation time and reports to clans will continue to be made via the request tool as the primary method.

I imagine there's some seeds of truth mixed into this field of unmitigated hilarity.  Remember when everyone thought the abolishment of Saturday Downtime was an April Fool's Joke, and it ended up being true!?
Child, child, if you come to this doomed house, what is to save you?

A voice whispers, "Read the tales upon the walls."

Pretty sure that the only people against more Staff-ran plotlines is Staff only by now heheh :)
"When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse's feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back."

Quote from: Gunnerblaster on March 31, 2013, 05:13:11 PM

Considering the fact that for years, a vocal minority of the boards have been asking for staff led plotlines again, and staff have said time and again that it wasn't going to happen, this was one of those "Dem staffs so funneh" parts.
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

March 31, 2013, 05:37:27 PM #186 Last Edit: March 31, 2013, 05:39:44 PM by Morrolan
Quote from: Malken on March 31, 2013, 05:32:34 PM
Pretty sure that the only people against more Staff-ran plotlines is Staff only by now heheh :)

Nope. Allowing staff to be more conservative in their use of their power is actually a good thing. One staff member misjudges a situation, and suddenly a 2-year PC is pushing up dune.

Better to keep your hands clean and let the players do the dirty work.
"I have seen him show most of the attributes one expects of a noble: courtesy, kindness, and honor.  I would also say he is one of the most bloodthirsty bastards I have ever met."

Former player as of 2/27/23, sending love.

Posted a day before April 1st, with a handful of things that a lot of people would probably actually like to see...

Masterful, Adhira. I almost believe it.
All the world will be your enemy. When they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

This thread quieted down. What, everyone rush into game to get their clothes off?

>rem pants [carefully backlit so you can't see any distinct detail]
"I have seen him show most of the attributes one expects of a noble: courtesy, kindness, and honor.  I would also say he is one of the most bloodthirsty bastards I have ever met."

Wow...I think this would absolutely destroy every PC I've ever created.  :o Can we also restrict the use of *snicker* please? Everytime I read it, I get the munchies. Thanks.
A staff member sends:
     "I hate you. :p"

Armageddon, the other Disney production.  ;)
Quote from: James de Monet on April 09, 2015, 01:54:57 AM
My phone now autocorrects "damn" to Dman.
Quote from: deathkamon on November 14, 2015, 12:29:56 AM
The young daughter has been filled.

Quote from: Desertman on March 31, 2013, 06:18:22 PM
Armageddon, the other Disney production.  ;)

Hopefully it's not as bad as that John Carter thing.

I'm gonna hold off on voting or logging in until someone confirms this is a joke.

I know it likely is, and there are parts of it that leave me very excited but... all the staff run plotlines in the world won't do any good if there aren't players logging in to participate in them. And all the newbies in the world won't stick around for a world that's made PG rated with the tagline: "Murder, Corruption, Betrayal". It just wouldn't live up to the tagline at a PG rating. And then there's people like me who, although they get their fair share of action in real life, enjoy character development and being able to do so in an environment with as few restrictions on it as possible (aka the consent rules), but have no interest in reading only part of a book (not allowing the torture, violence, and sex that comes with such a harsh and gritty story so often).

While I think that the first 2 characters human policy would actually be a very good one for keeping newbie playing a role they have some idea of what they're doing in, I know many newbies would have less interest in such a lack of character creation options for race and it might keep them from actually playing, so I'm torn about that one.

I think that staff run plotlines would add a lot to the game world as they have in the past.

I think that a newbie channel would be helpful (providing those not interested could toggle it off), but again, the delivery and detail around it... not being able to toggle it off for a month after the first character's made, etc... meh.

I think if it's not a joke, I'm going to have to join the exodus of veterans who now have more active lives away from their computers. Even though, again, pretty sure it's a joke.
Quote from: Wug
No one on staff is just waiting for the opportunity to get revenge on someone who killed one of their characters years ago.

Except me. I remember every death. And I am coming for you bastards.

I bet the staff are getting some ideas on improving these ideas, if it's not a joke.  ;)
Fredd-
i love being a nobles health points

Holy fuck!

I just got an email from staff telling me that I needed to cut the mudsexing out. Apparently, they're serious. They took a fucking karma away for it!

QuoteA female voice says, in sirihish:
     "] yer a wizard, oashi"

Then it ain't a joke.
Fredd-
i love being a nobles health points

Quote from: bcw81 on March 31, 2013, 06:49:39 PM
Holy fuck!

I just got an email from staff telling me that I needed to cut the mudsexing out. Apparently, they're serious. They took a fucking karma away for it!

Unless this is.  ::)