Discussion of Changes to ArmageddonMUD

Started by Adhira, March 31, 2013, 01:34:50 PM

You know, I raised a well-behaved, Sunday-school-teaching, high achieving kid.

I just didn't -let- her do things that weren't child appropriate.  I wouldn't have let her play Armageddon.  It would never have occurred to me to try to make Armageddon appropriate for -her-.  I didn't take her to bars, or let her see R-rated movies when she was little.  I didn't try to make R-rated movies go away.  I didn't try  to put child-appropriate rules onto adults who were not in family places.  (I did once call out a guy for filthy language at a single-A baseball game and almost started a fight...but that place was full of children and meant to be full of children.)

I'm sure she managed some things that I wouldn't have approved of, but she wouldn't have had any misunderstanding about it, she would have known she was misbehaving.

I'd like to see Arm being an adult-only game but that's unenforceable.  I myself am not too interested in playing in Storybook Land.  After raising a girlie little daughter, I am permanently opposed to Singing Princesses (probably until some little granddaughter crawls up on my lap).  There are games out there just for people who like that stuff.  

I want a game that's aimed at -me-.  Doesn't everyone?  And there are so many games out there, I'm sure that's possible.

Censorship is -wrong-.  We're writing a collaborative novel here, an epic novel.  Nobody is making you read it.  And if your kids are reading it, do a little parenting and stop them.

Quote from: maxid on March 31, 2013, 03:47:41 PM
Quote from: Zephy on March 31, 2013, 03:46:28 PM
Can we keep religion out of the discussion? I play this mud for the realism and harshness, if I wanted Disney, there are other muds out there that are better suited.

If you do not like the direction that staff has decided to take things, please join in the discussion as to which aspects of the rulings you find unsavory and why.  I'd be glad to hear them.

Quote from: Kaineus on March 31, 2013, 03:45:14 PM

I did.

As a side note, Armageddon Reborn was announced in November of 2006.
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.

Quote from: Refugee on March 31, 2013, 03:58:00 PM

I just didn't -let- her do things that weren't child appropriate.  I wouldn't have let her play Armageddon.  It would never have occurred to me to try to make Armageddon appropriate for -her-.  I didn't take her to bars, or let her see R-rated movies when she was little.  I didn't try to make R-rated movies go away.  I didn't try  to put child-appropriate rules onto adults who were not in family places.  (I did once call out a guy for filthy language at a single-A baseball game and almost started a fight...but that place was full of children and meant to be full of children.)

I'm sure she managed some things that I wouldn't have approved of, but she wouldn't have had any misunderstanding about it, she would have known she was misbehaving.

I'd like to see Arm being an adult-only game but that's unenforceable.  I myself am not too interested in playing in Storybook Land.  After raising a girlie little daughter, I am permanently opposed to Singing Princesses (probably until some little granddaughter crawls up on my lap).  There are games out there just for people who like that stuff.  

I want a game that's aimed at -me-.  Doesn't everyone?  And there are so many games out there, I'm sure that's possible.

Censorship is -wrong-.  We're writing a collaborative novel here, an epic novel.  Nobody is making you read it.  And if your kids are reading it, do a little parenting and stop them.

Thankfully for you, staff is protecting other daughters and sons from stumbling into filth like is present here in this game.

Surely you can see how an unregulated game available to children should remain as wholesome as possible?  Or would you have been fine with your daughter sneaking into/getting exposed to something as awful as open rape, murder, and torture just because you didn't check every last thing she did?

Quote from: Zephy on March 31, 2013, 03:59:15 PM
Quote from: maxid on March 31, 2013, 03:47:41 PM
Quote from: Zephy on March 31, 2013, 03:46:28 PM
Can we keep religion out of the discussion? I play this mud for the realism and harshness, if I wanted Disney, there are other muds out there that are better suited.

If you do not like the direction that staff has decided to take things, please join in the discussion as to which aspects of the rulings you find unsavory and why.  I'd be glad to hear them.

Quote from: Kaineus on March 31, 2013, 03:45:14 PM

I did.

I am confused about your post.  Please illuminate me about your reasons for being against this.  In detail.

Quote from: Refugee on March 31, 2013, 03:58:00 PM

I am aroused and excited with every additional silly post using the C-word. Keep them coming.

March 31, 2013, 04:02:33 PM #131 Last Edit: March 31, 2013, 04:04:53 PM by Dakota
the only thing cool in that suggestion thing...

Is the staff plot stuff + the whole OOC channel for n00bs (as long as only like.. STAFF and HELPERS could see it, I can get behind that).

everything else.. wha? can't be serious.

edit: n00bs are gonna see that and be like "wut? I thought this was supposed to be harsh and stuff... back to aardwolf"
Czar of City Elves.

Quote from: Dakota on March 31, 2013, 04:02:33 PM
edit: n00bs are gonna see that and be like "wut? I thought this was supposed to be harsh and stuff... back to aardwolf"

I'm not sure what mudsex has to do with harshness.

Is the staff plot stuff + the whole OOC channel for n00bs (as long as only like.. STAFF and HELPERS could see it, I can get behind that).

Actually, I like the OOC channel for newbies. But then there is something said to losing new characters and the sharp learning curve.

Btw, One of my favorite scenes with my own was a torture scene. Had me on the edge of my seat. And it wasn't that gresume for me to go, ewww.

And I was asked beforehand.

Go Consent!  No Censorship!

Quote from: Nyr on March 31, 2013, 03:28:35 PM
We've seen a lot of players trying to make "fair elven maidens" and "insatiable brutes" over the past few weeks.  It really has gotten to the point where it's difficult to explain to them why this isn't exactly acceptable, even though the sdesc words are allowed.  This is just the natural next step to help out those new players.

As for the roleplaying PG guidelines, this really isn't too different from how things are in Tuluk right now.  None of this is allowed in public (violence and brutality, that is) and it happens behind the scenes.  Moving that sort of thing to the virtual atmosphere is not too far from that.

HA! The language used in some bars in Tuluk Sooooo breaks PG and PG-13
I remember recruiting this Half elf girl. And IMMEDIATELY taking her out on a contract. Right as we go into this gith hole I tell her "Remember your training, and you'll be fine." and she goes "I have no training." Then she died

Quote from: Zephy on March 31, 2013, 04:06:50 PM

Actually, I like the OOC channel for newbies. But then there is something said to losing new characters and the sharp learning curve.

Btw, One of my favorite scenes with my own was a torture scene. Had me on the edge of my seat. And it wasn't that gresume for me to go, ewww.

Staff has decided that this is not the place for that.  You have given no reasons for your view, only stated over nad over that you like your view.  Please illuminate reasons as to why torture is a good thing.

This is like a hot-poker in the eye of those of us who actually want most of these things. Guess I can finally stop hoping for them now.

I did get a chuckle at the idea of staff going through an retroactively making the NPC/virtual world reflect this change.

Quote from: Delirium on March 31, 2013, 04:05:12 PM

With the new direction the game is being taken, the cat-people are making a come back and will be installed in Luir's.  
Quote from: Dalmeth
I've come to the conclusion that relaxing is not the lack of doing anything, but doing something that comes easily to you.

Quote from: Fredd on March 31, 2013, 04:07:31 PM
Quote from: Nyr on March 31, 2013, 03:28:35 PM
We've seen a lot of players trying to make "fair elven maidens" and "insatiable brutes" over the past few weeks.  It really has gotten to the point where it's difficult to explain to them why this isn't exactly acceptable, even though the sdesc words are allowed.  This is just the natural next step to help out those new players.

As for the roleplaying PG guidelines, this really isn't too different from how things are in Tuluk right now.  None of this is allowed in public (violence and brutality, that is) and it happens behind the scenes.  Moving that sort of thing to the virtual atmosphere is not too far from that.

HA! The language used in some bars in Tuluk Sooooo breaks PG and PG-13

This will change, fortunately.

I've already got my triple-titted feline with glorious whiskers ready to app.

Haha, how fun it'd be with the feline race and a moratorium on sexual roleplay.  :D

Quote from: maxid on March 31, 2013, 04:08:04 PM
Quote from: Zephy on March 31, 2013, 04:06:50 PM

Staff has decided that this is not the place for that.  You have given no reasons for your view, only stated over nad over that you like your view.  Please illuminate reasons as to why torture is a good thing.

Again, I did.

I'm a bit uncomfortable with the cross as the symbol of Allanak too.  I've decided that it's obviously not the Christian cross, and that makes it tolerable for me.

I think asking for the crescent moon to be used instead is enormously hypocritical, and unravels your entire argument.  Such racism and ignorance casts a shadow on every premise you've put forth.

However, Maxid:  As a pastor, you -don't- have to deal with it.  You can go play somewhere else.  That's what freedom is.   Make your choices, deal with the consequences, and allow others to do the same.

Maybe the rebel sub-guild folks will have another reason to roleplay their subguid.
Fredd-
i love being a nobles health points

Quote from: Zephy on March 31, 2013, 04:10:49 PM
Again, I did.

You keep saying that, yet you haven't.  Your only statement was that you enjoyed the scene.  I'd like to hear actual reasons.  Since you seem to be unable to come up with any, I'll assume you agree with staff.  Yay!  :D

Quote from: RogueGunslinger on March 31, 2013, 04:08:11 PM
This is like a hot-poker in the eye of those of us who actually want most of these things. Guess I can finally stop hoping for them now.

I am hoping just the PG part is a joke. The other stuff had to be thrown in or everyone would have seen through the ruse too easily. Don't give up hope!

Armageddon, a game where being a cold-blooded murder is actually more often a good thing than it is bad, within the playerbase.

Don't take this from me. Don't take my innocence from me. I go crazy. I go crazy on your ass.