The Concept/Character You Wish Survived...

Started by Twilight, July 06, 2012, 03:33:07 PM

July 23, 2012, 03:00:37 AM #75 Last Edit: August 02, 2012, 11:36:34 AM by Nyr
I special apped a sorc. Okay cool. Staff say they're expecting good things outta me and will consider bumping my karma if I do well.

Died right away due to stupidity.

Staff decide they'd let me try again. Okay really cool.

The rest of this has been moderated by staff.

Needless to say I was pretty frustrated. I sent a couple of complaints to staff and even made a few post on the gdb which I regret.
Now you're looking for the secret. But you won't find it because of course, you're not really looking. You don't really want to work it out. You want to be fooled.

The mantishead in your avatar laughs at you, Jingo.

I do not. :(
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

Krathi Mul, a burninated little ball of hate, who somehow talked a hippie-dippie cabal of rainbow magickers into letting him live in their tower of love. I almost had him branched out enough to enact phase 2, Operation Smoldering 'Gickers, when I discovered that someone had poisoned the water supply and I'd never bothered to load up on cures.

Man I was going to be such a fun villain, with all those magick items.

Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

Damn, I wish someone would put that much foresight into my demise. Or bring about my demise. I play too safe, usually.

Tisserand was the name of my funny elf :3 and its also the french word for "spinner." I'm a bit of a clown when I'm not dead-serious in real life and that came out without warning in my rinthi elf who mugged people with her mom for a living, but wanted nothing more in life than to be a great entertainer. To make people laugh and to play songs and whatever other dumb shit people enjoyed. She made me start logging, actually. I even ended up in Tuluk for a short time due to being on the runs for reasons I didn't particularly understand. But when people with power in the rinth say they're going to get you, you'd better freaking run. I died to newbie stupidity, rather than them, though.
https://armageddon.org/help/view/Inappropriate%20vernacular
gorgio: someone who is not romani, not a gypsy.
kumpania: a family of story tellers.
vardo: a horse-drawn wagon used by British Romani as their home. always well-crafted, often painted and gilded

If the impossible gets found out, you can always blame mindbenders. One more reason to burn them all.

I just remembered a character concept I wish survived that was so long ago that I can even talk about it!

It was one of my first bunch of characters - fifth or something like it. An Allanaki assassin who had been trained to hunt mages, and truly believed her body paintings would protect her from magick. She fled to Tuluk in her background - I don't remember why - then pretended to be mute to hide her accent, and joined house Tenneshi as a guard. One merry day she asked to speak to Baladan Tenneshi in private, and started talking to this very surprised noble - in southern accent - about her motivations, how much she hated Allanak and especially witches, and how she would like to be a Tenneshi tool when she returned south. It was all very hush-hush and awesome, Baladan arranged for her training, unfortunately I rarely ever saw the person tasked with training her online and mostly sat pretend-mute in taverns. Serpent wanted to take her on as an apprentice and she turned him down because she had other plans (a decision I regret to this day), and he finally killed her because some Nenyuk PC (yes Nenyuk agents were playable then) had offered 5 large on her head. I never really found out why.

It could have been so grand!

Quote from: Jingo on July 23, 2012, 03:00:37 AMand even made a few post on the gdb which I regret.

Unfortunately I think this is one of them.  :(

I moderated it.  As mentioned in another thread, the GDB is not the place to speculate on templars and what they can do, and some things are not ever okay to post about even after a year.
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.

I had a mutant who was severely messed up for very messed up reasons and he was involved in very dark things. He was mundane, no magickry, but man....if he would have survived with that group I was with....omg would have been fun. Got killed for being utterly disgusting looking and this was before mutants were restricted.
"I stalk the shadows, I am the one who wears that friendly face. Behind your every move, there is nothing you can do. Pride yourself in the fact that you do not already rot and bake. Be prepared, I am always watching." - Allanaki Assassin

Quote from: Nyr on August 02, 2012, 11:37:23 AM
Quote from: Jingo on July 23, 2012, 03:00:37 AMand even made a few post on the gdb which I regret.

Unfortunately I think this is one of them.  :(

I moderated it.  As mentioned in another thread, the GDB is not the place to speculate on templars and what they can do, and some things are not ever okay to post about even after a year.

???

Man I'm not even sure how.
Now you're looking for the secret. But you won't find it because of course, you're not really looking. You don't really want to work it out. You want to be fooled.

My first PC -- one of my longest-lived PCs,  he had barely started to actually use his coded skills, had a huuuge IC history built up including having been owned by three different templars/nobility (back when there were PC slaves)

"The Highlord casts a shadow because he does not want to see skin!" -- Boog

<this space for rent>

And what happened to them?
Fredd-
i love being a nobles health points

Quote from: Barsook on August 03, 2012, 04:40:25 PM
And what happened to them?

"Trust us" they said.  "It will be fun" they said.  "Nothing will happen" they said...   

They were wrong!  >:(

<this space for rent>

I played a young Arabetti hunter named Jeiub, usually went by Jei.  He was fun to play because the world felt truly big and threatening when I played him.

I based him a loosely on the persona of David in the Bible, prior to being a king as a young shepherd boy.

When he was still 13 years old an aggressive dwarf threatened him and his people near his tents, so he drew his bow and after sticking him with a few arrows, crossed blades and then chased the threat down, deep into Blackwing territory and right off a cliff, to the dwarf's demise.

He was pushed by a fully grown Soh and was very afraid but stood up to the challenge in a game of three cuts where he lost and was KO'd by the elf's hammer.

When a raider assaulted him with arrows in the grasslands, Jei put one in his neck and chased him away.

He traveled alone to big cities to trade hides from the Tablelands, very timidly at first, but after being swindled a few times, haggled with the confidence of his older brothers and sisters.

Alas, his adolescent endurance was a little lacking; he succumbed to death to reel-lock at the hands of gith in the Red Desert.

Quote from: Malifaxis on July 06, 2012, 04:32:07 PM
Quote from: spicemustflow on July 06, 2012, 04:13:02 PM
Quote from: Malifaxis on July 06, 2012, 04:04:19 PM
*cough* Quick *cough*

I'm really interested in the mechanics behind this character.

The word Epic doesn't even scratch the surface of what that PC went through.  It's amazing.

"Quick Off-Topic" : I really would love to hear the tale of Quick sometime. I seriously hope the staff will allow it someday.

Over the years that I've played. I've had numerous PCs that I lost to silly deaths in one way or another. The sad thing? I still experience ignorant deaths fairly regularly. Anyway, this is a quick list of those I wish I could have back:

1. A city-elf female who was the true meaning of a scary assassin. She was a leader in Jaxa Pah and was not afraid to flex both her personal muscle and that of her families. In the end the other guys poison hit first.

2. A nomadic mutant half-giant earth elementalist who was covered in stalagmites, stalactites, and other pieces of rock. He died 3 hours into the game.

3. Whiran. Teleport. Dumb.

4. Numerous Dune Stalkers. I love that damn tribe.

I am sure I will think of some of the other ones later.

Quote from: mattrious on August 07, 2012, 08:26:26 PM
[Off-Topic" : I really would love to hear the tale of Quick sometime. I seriously hope the staff will allow it someday.

If you ever attend an APM, you'll probably hear all kinds of stories, not just about Quick.

A stuttering magicker. Doesn't matter the flavor. The character was just fun to play and had a personality that gelled easy for me to portray. Died fairly easy, PKed. Not going to say more, but I really, really wasn't a happy player after that.
Quote from: brytta.leofa on August 17, 2010, 07:55:28 PM
A glossy, black-shelled mantis says, in insectoid-accented sirihish,
  "You haven't picked enough cotton, friend."
Choose thy fate:

August 15, 2012, 08:35:46 PM #92 Last Edit: August 15, 2012, 08:45:03 PM by hyzhenhok
'rinthi sekrit magickers.

The first was an elf who was paranoid and hysterical and got addicted to the confidence-inducing spice as a means to cope. Jaxa Pah discovered I was a 'gicker and started testing me despite my peculiarities. Alt-tabbed (in a quit room) and forgot about the game; someone found me and killed me.

The second one was an old man who walked around with a cane. He was awesome, really fun to play, easy to make friends with. Died because I was Waying too much while walking around, and got a critical failture on one of the climb-check-even-though-it-does-nothing rooms and got knocked out...at the feet of an aggro NPC.

Fun concepts that were really plenty survivable in the 'rinth, but died to carelessness.

August 15, 2012, 09:53:55 PM #93 Last Edit: August 16, 2012, 01:18:34 PM by armandhammer
I had a really old, cranky Elkran guy who had a close Whiran friend. He liked to sit around, pick his teeth and grumble, mostly. The Whiran friend made his favorite wooden chair pretty similar to a balloon. He put it on a string, carried it everywhere he went, and to say the least, he was rarely standing up.

Then we found something we shouldn't have.

Edit: I also had a Red Fang with his canine teeth yanked and replaced with obsidian fangs. He was just getting into a really cool plot; he found something he shouldn't have, and these weird Drov-ish things only he could see started following him around. Then he found something else he shouldn't have, amen.

Just about every PC where the IMMs have decided to help me have fun.   Leave my PC alone and let me play the game.  (this isn't about ensuring "realism" - rather, it's about the assumption that everyone has this long line of characters and so the game is fun if overturn of PCs is fun)

<this space for rent>

Quote from: My 2 sids on September 17, 2012, 10:43:16 PM
Just about every PC where the IMMs have decided to help me have fun.   Leave my PC alone and let me play the game.  (this isn't about ensuring "realism" - rather, it's about the assumption that everyone has this long line of characters and so the game is fun if overturn of PCs is fun)

If you don't want the virtual world or NPCs animated, you should stick to a single player game where everything is predictable and entirely attributable to your own choices (whether they be conscious efforts or mistakes).  If you don't want to play a game where there's a possibility that your PC might die permanently (whether it be due to a staff member animating an NPC, an NPC on its own, a PC, other code in the game, or just by your own mistakes--whether that be a typo or a mistarget or whatever), you should stick to games where you can just save and reload from an earlier spot.  Sometimes that's going to suck, depending on what it is.

If we "leave your PC alone and let you play the game," we're doing you as well as other players of this kind of game a serious disservice.
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.

Seriously agree with Nyr here. Its sorta a an ST's JOB to interact with players. Maybe not so much now that our staff is no longer running major plots but personally I love every animation I get even if it does leave my pc with horrible emotional scars.  ;D
The sound of a thunderous explosion tears through the air and blasts waves of pressure ripple through the ground.

Looking northward, the rugged, stubble-bearded templar asks you, in sirihish:
     "Well... I think it worked...?"

Seriously. You lucky bastard. You lucky lucky bastard.

Some of the best moments in arm I've had are via IMM interactions.

Czar of City Elves.

Yeah, my staff interactions are usually a positive experience, and I'm totally appreciative! The only time 'staff interaction' led to me losing a character was when I was a total douche...I was a newb...and my character did some stupid shit...and staff intervention indirectly led to my characters death....I don't think staff are out to just...kill off characters.
Quoteemote pees into your eyes deeply

Quote from: Delirium on November 28, 2012, 02:26:33 AM
I don't always act superior... but when I do it's on the forums of a text-based game