The Concept/Character You Wish Survived...

Started by Twilight, July 06, 2012, 03:33:07 PM

Backstab star.constellation

One day.. one day..
:-)

Quote from: Maso on September 18, 2012, 01:43:13 PM
Yeah, my staff interactions are usually a positive experience, and I'm totally appreciative! The only time 'staff interaction' led to me losing a character was when I was a total douche...I was a newb...and my character did some stupid shit...and staff intervention indirectly led to my characters death....I don't think staff are out to just...kill off characters.

I also agree.  I am the type that doesn't need interaction to have fun.  I make my own fun.  But it is always interesting to have the world react realistically (good and bad) to what your character is doing.  My only death to staff interaction was also me doing something stupid and ended up with some crazy NPC eating my brains, quite literally!  Nom Nom Mantis!  To be fair, they gave me at -least- three room emotes indicating that I might want to bug out.  I didn't, so I blame no one by myself!

That all happened many years ago, good times!
Nothing to see here

Not what I'm saying.

I was saying gamers (players & staff) have different ideas when it comes to what makes a good time. 

What I'm saying is more akin to "We all like chicken wings, I just don't like it when the chef thinks s/he is doing me a favor by adding extra-hot sauce"    It's that type of PC I morn the most because I'm left feeling cheated.

If Amos dies to a mek or or a backstab, fine.  But, I've had a few PCs die because a stone has decided to suddenly trip them (or something like that).  <--- those are the deaths I wish I could have my PC back.   

I only answered the question that everyone else has, so please don't jump all over me for it Nyr.

Quote from: Nyr on September 18, 2012, 08:57:31 AM
Quote from: My 2 sids on September 17, 2012, 10:43:16 PM
Just about every PC where the IMMs have decided to help me have fun.   Leave my PC alone and let me play the game.  (this isn't about ensuring "realism" - rather, it's about the assumption that everyone has this long line of characters and so the game is fun if overturn of PCs is fun)

If you don't want the virtual world or NPCs animated, you should stick to a single player game where everything is predictable and entirely attributable to your own choices (whether they be conscious efforts or mistakes).  If you don't want to play a game where there's a possibility that your PC might die permanently (whether it be due to a staff member animating an NPC, an NPC on its own, a PC, other code in the game, or just by your own mistakes--whether that be a typo or a mistarget or whatever), you should stick to games where you can just save and reload from an earlier spot.  Sometimes that's going to suck, depending on what it is.

If we "leave your PC alone and let you play the game," we're doing you as well as other players of this kind of game a serious disservice.
"The Highlord casts a shadow because he does not want to see skin!" -- Boog

<this space for rent>

Quote from: My 2 sids on September 18, 2012, 06:46:18 PM
Not what I'm saying.

I was saying gamers (players & staff) have different ideas when it comes to what makes a good time.

What I'm saying is more akin to "We all like chicken wings, I just don't like it when the chef thinks s/he is doing me a favor by adding extra-hot sauce"    It's that type of PC I morn the most because I'm left feeling cheated.

If Amos dies to a mek or or a backstab, fine.  But, I've had a few PCs die because a stone has decided to suddenly trip them (or something like that).  <--- those are the deaths I wish I could have my PC back.   

I only answered the question that everyone else has, so please don't jump all over me for it Nyr.

And I was saying that if you don't like the extra hot-sauce that the chef (the game, the creators of the game, the administrators/storytellers, the players, etc) adds to the chicken wings, you should go to a different chicken wing place.  We only serve extra hot-sauce here. 

The only reason I jumped in is that I recall an earlier incident in which you brought forth complaint about the same thing.  There's a specific approach to dealing with these kind of complaints, and that's the request tool and staff complaint if it's a legitimate complaint about something staff did.  However, no, the game is not out to get you.  No, the staff members are not setting out to kill you and your PCs.  Your PCs can and do get into situations in which death is an option.  When that does happen and you post a vague complaint about it on the GDB, it may be cathartic, but it's certainly not a mature approach to take on a game that involves permadeath.  It's not a mature approach to take on a game that involves an active staff that does (on occasion) animate things that may not necessarily be in favor of your PC living.  In 99% of cases (including any you've vaguely taken issue with), the position of a bystander would be:  "Well, uh...what was he or she doing THERE?  That's a dangerous place," or "doesn't that job come with risks?"

You can't act as though a stone spontaneously jumped up and decided to trip you if you were (for instance) on a rocky slope filled with stones, on a mission to collect stones for the stone collecting merchant house with a bunch of stone-collecting buddies.

We've all been in situations where we've had PCs killed because of the action or inaction of staff members, whether they be animating or NOT animating.  Popping up a quick ":(" about it is almost expected at times (we sometimes have to moderate them when they get too specific or they are posted in the wrong fashion). Turning that ":(" into a " >:(, just leave my PC alone!" takes it a step too far.  Just take a step back and take another look at the situation.  A PC death always sucks.  ALWAYS.  Even if it's an ending you're proud of, you're going to miss the PC.  Taking it to the level of "I wish staff would just leave my PC alone (when my PC does things that normally would entail a staff response as well as a player wish per the help wish helpfile)" isn't necessary, because at that point, your complaint seems to be with the game's structure at a core level.  We animate the virtual world.  That is our responsibility.  If you have an issue with that, you have an issue with the game itself.  I doubt that is the case, but if you think so, that's fine--however, the game is not going to change to suit your tastes in this particular instance.
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.

Once again,  I said  "I wish I could replay Amos"   and Nyr you reply "Amos died!  Why can't you get over that!  Just stop playing if you're thinking you would get Amos back!" 

"The Highlord casts a shadow because he does not want to see skin!" -- Boog

<this space for rent>

Quote from: My 2 sids on September 19, 2012, 09:28:48 AM
Once again,  I said  "I wish I could replay Amos"   and Nyr you reply "Amos died!  Why can't you get over that!  Just stop playing if you're thinking you would get Amos back!" 

Dude, it's Nyr. He's Nyring you. Just accept. Once you push past the pain it actually starts to feel good.

September 19, 2012, 09:48:53 AM #106 Last Edit: September 19, 2012, 10:04:18 AM by Nyr
Quote from: My 2 sids on September 19, 2012, 09:28:48 AM
Once again,  I said  "I wish I could replay Amos"   and Nyr you reply "Amos died!  Why can't you get over that!  Just stop playing if you're thinking you would get Amos back!"  

My mistake.  I misinterpreted all of the below things that you wrote

QuoteJust about every PC where the IMMs have decided to help me have fun.

QuoteLeave my PC alone and let me play the game.

QuoteIf Amos dies to a mek or or a backstab, fine.  But, I've had a few PCs die because a stone has decided to suddenly trip them (or something like that).  <--- those are the deaths I wish I could have my PC back.

as the things that you intended to write, rather than reading them as saying "I wish I could replay Amos."  I was hoping to address the sentiment behind missing your characters that were lost in these specific situations and give more of a fleshed out, staff-side explanation for the whole shebang.  My fault, I know.   I'll just moderate vague rage-death posts in the future rather than try to give a broader perspective.

edit to add:  ;)  (because I'm not in rage-death mode, I'm in happy rainbow dash mode)
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.

Locking this thread now.  While the conversation has all been fine we'd prefer that discussion about pc's not be taking place on the boards.  There are far too many IC tidbits that slip past this way.
"It doesn't matter what country someone's from, or what they look like, or the color of their skin. It doesn't matter what they smell like, or that they spell words slightly differently, some would say more correctly." - Jemaine Clement. FOTC.