What's okay to talk about on the GDB

Started by Marauder Moe, July 04, 2012, 01:42:55 PM

Once upon a time, it was forbidden to discuss magick on the GDB, even if the information was in the docs.

The "one year" rule did not exist because it was never okay to talk in detail about old character's lives/deaths.

If you wanted to brag or share an IC story, you'd submit a log/story and let the staff decide if it's suitable for public consumption.

Do we need to go back to the most orthodox rules of IC information control? Probably not, but I think we've become a bit too casual about it lately.   

I think it's more detrimental than helpful to the growth of the game if we're incredibly strict like that. Maybe back in the day when there wasn't as much competition for MUDs or roleplaying outlets, this would be acceptable and still see a moderate amount of growth. If we turn the GDB back into that, though, I can see a lot of new players getting turned off.

Good stories of success/failure/cool stuff well after they are no longer IC helps inspire people to get involved/play more.
Quote from: Fathi on March 08, 2018, 06:40:45 PMAnd then I sat there going "really? that was it? that's so stupid."

I still think the best closure you get in Armageddon is just moving on to the next character.

Good stories should go to original submissions, not the GDB.

Majick is the only thing I've read about on the GBD which is fresh knowledge that I'd rather not know about.  And as you say, all I've learn't has been in the Help files anyway.
Posting very recent deaths on Clan  Forums has been my only gripe.
In spite of my better self, I am always greedy for crumbs of code though.  :(

July 04, 2012, 02:26:51 PM #4 Last Edit: July 04, 2012, 03:12:17 PM by A Large Bag
1) If it's in the documentation or has been posted by a staffer on the board, it's okay.

2) If it's a story or something about characters in the game it's okay as long as:

a) It doesn't break rule #1.
         b) It's over a year old.
         c) It doesn't pertain to any currently living characters.
         d) It is not referring to or giving away something that would be more fun for people to find out in game themselves. Certain creature abilities, secret locations, etc.

Those are the guidelines I follow anyway.

Quote from: A Large Bag on July 04, 2012, 02:26:51 PM
1) If it's in the documentation or has been posted by a staffer on the board, it's okay.

2) If it's a story or something about characters in the game it's okay as long as:

a) It doesn't break rule #1.
          b) It's over a year old.
          c) It doesn't pertain to any currently living characters.

Those are the rules I follow anyway.

I really do think this is sufficient.  I've caught a handful of slip ups here and there, but I've personally never encountered something and went "Oh shit, I didn't know that.  Spoiler."
QuoteSunshine all the time makes a desert.
Vote at TMS
Vote at TMC

I think good stories help inspire people, and the rules A Large Bag posted are spot on. I 'd be surprised if the people who know/chat with each other out the game didn't share stories between themselves anyway.

With magick, however, I think it's a real shame it's talked about so freely. If people aren't even noticing what's being spilt here, they must have become very familiar with parts of the game that are still 'wow' to me, and I thought were a rare aspect of the game. Obviously not!

It's good to have big mysteries in the game, and people seem to struggle enough with rp'ing fear and unease about magick without knowing what's out there and possible without even encountering it IC.

People doing sort of 'tweets' about what their characters are up to/deaths etc bugs me a bit, but I understand the compulsion behind doing it.

Quote from: solera on July 04, 2012, 02:21:41 PM
In spite of my better self, I am always greedy for crumbs of code though.  :(

Me too! My mind just doesn't work that way to figure it out by myself. Even if it did, it's not my playstyle/interest.

I've noticed some magick talk but I often wonder if those talking even know what they're talking about.
QuoteSunshine all the time makes a desert.
Vote at TMS
Vote at TMC

The one year rule isn't a rule.  It's what some players decided on, from a staff point of view I think more discretion is needed there.  No living characters is a good one, also... are you giving away an aspect of the game that would be more enjoyable if discovered as a player.  This point is HUGE IMO.  While yes it's cool to share that cool thing that happened to you, and at the time you hear it you may think that it's an awesome story, it can detract from what you actually get to experience in game.  Some things are just better left unsaid.

Allusions to current characters, deaths or even... man that RP scene with you guys in the volvo!!!!   I wish that wasn't happening.  Use Kudos to send 'gratz' to others.
"It doesn't matter what country someone's from, or what they look like, or the color of their skin. It doesn't matter what they smell like, or that they spell words slightly differently, some would say more correctly." - Jemaine Clement. FOTC.

July 04, 2012, 02:57:06 PM #9 Last Edit: July 04, 2012, 03:11:17 PM by A Large Bag
That's a good point, I was trying to think of what else I consider when posting and that is one of them. I'm going to add that to my list. I could've sworn the one year thing came from a staffer post in the past though but all I can find is a staffer saying that about six months was the minimum in their opinion.

People should also be careful about speculating about potentially sensitive aspects of the game, even if they don't have any actual knowledge.

I would prefer if the game just wasn't discussed, at all, but when you read about it, and it is something you enjoy in secrecy (read:  do not get to talk about), it is difficult not to chime in with some comment, no matter how asinine.  I'm fairly sure we have all done it -- even you, Moe -- and though we may sometimes have to edit posts, or posts get deleted, we do a decent job of policing ourselves.

Unfortunately, one of the worst threads, IMO, is one that I do like, and have posted in:  'What does your character look like?'  We shouldn't be posting anything about our current characters.

One of the parts of this that is so difficult is that, to some extent, we are a self-regulating, volunteer community. Whatever "rules" we make, we have to be willing to enforce. Staff are just trusted members of the community given some level of anonymity and enforcement powers with oversight.

When we try to enforce the rules, sometimes people get defensive and resentful.

So, a rule to not talk about magick on the GDB at all? What would that look like? I prefer the idea that, if it is in the help files we can use it, but no discussions should focus on that specific aspect of the game. Also, no code discussions should circle around those same topics.

There is a lot of information in the help files. Can we just agree not to talk about it?
"I have seen him show most of the attributes one expects of a noble: courtesy, kindness, and honor.  I would also say he is one of the most bloodthirsty bastards I have ever met."

Yeah that works for a week, when it's brought up. And then you get:

"Hey that [redacted] that just happened in the [redacted] was awesome!"

Which is within the "letter of the law" but utterly and completely breaks the "spirit of the law."

Because everyone who was involved in something in the past couple of hours, that involved something you can't talk about on the GDB, knows EXACTLY what that line means, and knows that the poster is the player of one of the characters involved.

But - hey - it didn't violate the rule, official or otherwise.

Also, when people post in random arm thoughts things like:

"I hate suck deaths"

well generally that's a hint, that the person posting, is playing a character that has just died. So anyone who knew about a character death in the last hour, has a general idea that this person played that character. AND - anyone who knew who that player played, just found out on the GDB that their character is now dead.

Even though they didn't mention who their character is, where they died, or the circumstances.

I see a lot of that. A WHOLE lot of that. And I see it being posted by the same people, to the extent that I can often tell which of those particular players, is playing which particular characters.

I don't need to be a number-crunching Gimfalisette to figure it out. Certain people just seem to enjoy leaving obvious clues, as though they're actually -hoping- people will figure out what's going on ICly, just by reading their posts on the GDB.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

To be fair, the old GDB was fairly simple and easy to moderate.  The new GDB is 10-100 times more difficult to keep track of, so many more things often get through that probably shouldn't be posted.  I imagine for staff moderating the GDB is sort of a nightmare.

Agreed. That is why we, as a community, need to put more effort into helping them by a) moderating ourselves (I mean our own posts), and b) directing staff to trouble-spots.
"I have seen him show most of the attributes one expects of a noble: courtesy, kindness, and honor.  I would also say he is one of the most bloodthirsty bastards I have ever met."

I understand the reasoning behind the wish for secrecy in all aspects and because the rules say that we should, I support it. But for relative comparison, D&D mechanics are freely open, and I certainly had a ton of fun and excitement playing that. Knowing secrets has never detracted from my enjoyment of Armageddon, ever. And I think that any good roleplayer will always be able to deal with IC/OOC division.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

Quote from: Adhira on July 04, 2012, 02:48:13 PM
Allusions to current characters, deaths or even... man that RP scene with you guys in the volvo!!!!   I wish that wasn't happening.  Use Kudos to send 'gratz' to others.

Volvo? There are cars IG?? Major spoiler! :(
Quoteemote pees into your eyes deeply

Quote from: Delirium on November 28, 2012, 02:26:33 AM
I don't always act superior... but when I do it's on the forums of a text-based game

July 04, 2012, 06:11:01 PM #18 Last Edit: July 04, 2012, 06:14:09 PM by Dakota
Quote from: Maso on July 04, 2012, 06:00:57 PM
Quote from: Adhira on July 04, 2012, 02:48:13 PM

Volvo? There are cars IG?? Major spoiler! :(

Hell yes! I had a Dolorean! A badass sdesc'd, silver, flame-wheeled dolorean to be exact. Tried to go back in time a week so I could save my mate but on accident I went back in time to the 19th age in the year 55. Landed right in a huge fire that damaged my ride. Luckily I met some crazy alchemist who believed my crackpot tale and "small wagon made of steel". He helped me repair it, which was good because those Tuluki's thought I was up to some evil Sorcery. Had to bugger off before Muk Uteps mega ways erased me from history + the whole time I was being chased by halflings who nearly found their way into my car but I chased them off.. (so I thought).

Barely made it out alive but the crap part was when I got back to present arm time, the car landed in a pile of ox dung. I was so excited I paid some breed to watch it for me to let everyone know.. but when I got back I found that the fucking breed had been eaten and somehow -halfling- tracks were all over the area where the car was.. I say was, because the car was GONE. I'd want to blame staff but.. I dunno.. I heard halflings can be pretty tricky. How they survived the flood? Who knows. But if you see a silver, flame-wheeled delorean being driven around by cackling halflings? That's mine and tell them I want it back.

Edit: I don't know if I can post this on the GDB.. So if it's saying too much, let me know.
Czar of City Elves.

I think that it is much more open then it used to be and I am not a big fan. It denies people of the same 'mystery'.  I guess when you take a step back for a bit you can really tell the difference when reapproaching.

People seem to use 'gone' more than they need to as well, but that is for another thread.
"People survive by climbing over anyone who gets in their way, by cheating, stealing, killing, swindling, or otherwise taking advantage of others."
-Ginka

"Don't do this. I can't believe I have to write this post."
-Rathustra

I agree with Moe. I think we need to police ourselves better and put more pressure on the people who bring up information about the magick system, areas, animals, and those who post about recent IC events.

I've tried to report threads in the past but it never works. My browser gets hung when I hit the send button.

Quote from: Yam on July 04, 2012, 06:33:42 PM
I agree with Moe. I think we need to police ourselves better and put more pressure on the people who bring up information about the magick system, areas, animals, and those who post about recent IC events.

Yes, I agree. I've been trying to kindly point it out to people. I think doing this enough will slow down the spread a bit.

I was ignorant for everything as a noob because I hardly read any documentation or forums at all.

And it was an incredibly experience because of that. One fo the reason I looked forward to 2.arm.

Lizzie: The report function has been broken for a while. It says so in the rules thread. You're supposed to report posts via the request tool.

Quote from: MeTekillot on July 04, 2012, 07:02:47 PM
Lizzie: The report function has been broken for a while. It says so in the rules thread. You're supposed to report posts via the request tool.

Ah. That post telling about the report function being broken, was written in 2010. That was the last time I read that thread (because then, it came up on my list as "new" for unread posts).