What's okay to talk about on the GDB

Started by Marauder Moe, July 04, 2012, 01:42:55 PM

Even though I've personally never been spoiled, I don't mind agreeing to simply be a bit more more strict with policing undocumented and recent information
QuoteSunshine all the time makes a desert.
Vote at TMS
Vote at TMC

So if you were not around for under tuluk, halflings, copper wars or something, those who were i.c. are dead; to learn anything of this from a ooc interest is just too bad for you? Or is this all logged somewhere I don't know about?

Quote from: timb on July 04, 2012, 08:13:02 PM
So if you were not around for under tuluk, halflings, copper wars or something, those who were i.c. are dead; to learn anything of this from a ooc interest is just too bad for you? Or is this all logged somewhere I don't know about?

Pretty much everything that anyone should know about the past is on the history page: http://www.armageddon.org/cgi-bin/help_index/timeline.php There are probably a few major things since 1607 that were done that remain undocumented, but those things are probably on still on the public boards in the taverns of any given city.

Quote from: Maso on July 04, 2012, 06:00:57 PM
Quote from: Adhira on July 04, 2012, 02:48:13 PM
Allusions to current characters, deaths or even... man that RP scene with you guys in the volvo!!!!   I wish that wasn't happening.  Use Kudos to send 'gratz' to others.

Volvo? There are cars IG?? Major spoiler! :(

Not volvo,  Volkswagon.  Enter beetle.
Quote from MeTekillot
Samos the salter never goes to jail! Hahaha!

Don't push things to be even more of an advantage for long time players than already is.  One way to alleviate that is to allow current level of information, perhaps a slight bit less, to be put out on the GDB.  History sets context, and unfortunately, as great as the official documents are, they don't do a good job of it.  They are documents about what, who and where, not about how or why.  Context builds players with a deeper understanding of the game world, which IMHO is good for the game.

And while at one point there were really strict board rules, there were also things like APM Vegas.  I would tell you about it, but you know the saying about Vegas.
Evolution ends when stupidity is no longer fatal."

Advantage? If I could forget most of my Armageddon knowledge voluntarily, I would in a heartbeat. Would give anything to discover it all over again.

Quote from: Marauder Moe on July 09, 2012, 12:34:50 PM
Advantage? If I could forget most of my Armageddon knowledge voluntarily, I would in a heartbeat. Would give anything to discover it all over again.

I wouldn't.
Quote from: Marauder Moe
Oh my god he's still rocking the sandwich.

In acting appropriately for the game world...yes, I hope you have an advantage over a new player.
Evolution ends when stupidity is no longer fatal."

I definitely think the 'what your character would know' stuff could reaaally do with an update.
Quoteemote pees into your eyes deeply

Quote from: Delirium on November 28, 2012, 02:26:33 AM
I don't always act superior... but when I do it's on the forums of a text-based game

>:( Nothing you should be playing armageddon!!!!!
Quote from MeTekillot
Samos the salter never goes to jail! Hahaha!

Yeah, I've noticed that the GDB is a lot more meta than a few years back. Not sure if it's a bad thing.

Spoilers are.. really weird.

There are some "common" plot things which I thought were unique, have reported them, then an admin would tell me that he sees nothing wrong with it. Maybe it happens a lot, and I felt a little disappointed at finding out some things. And there are a hell lot of indirect spoilers. Sometimes an event happens in game, and someone complains about say.. similar game mechanics on the GDB, which reveals way too much info inadvertently, but is well within the rules. Like there might be a crime ring in town, then someone blabs on about how burglary mechanics are unfair with an all too detailed explanation about how his house was robbed.

Things that are reported as spoilers aren't really spoilers. I remember getting yelled at for asking whether sneaky guild 2 has sneaky skill 011. It would be common sense, it's already in the documentation, but it's supposed to be some hush hush thing. It's really not a fun surprise to know that you assumed guild/subguild so and so has a skill when it doesn't. And I've never really seen the appeal in Find Out IC on basic things like where water in the city is or how to craft *basic arrow*.

And I'm glad that the GDB has cooled down on the hard game mechanics stuff. Very often, newbies will come on a forum asking about really basic information like "i have to make a new character just because i sleep in desert last night? wtf???!" or "what guild has swordcrafting". When they get scared off by a hostile GDB populace and are too shy to talk to helpers, they normally just go and ask the person who told them about Armageddon. Or they just get bored and look for some other RPI.

What I consider major spoilers is 'character walkthrough' advice on the GDB. Like how to grind up pickpocket skills such that NPCs won't catch you. Or how to create a raiding group in 4 months from nothing. Or the crafting skill which has the best ROI. Or a breakdown of the most useful attributes. Locations with cool stuff. Where to forage. How to get a job as a robber. That's the real FOIC stuff. That's the stuff you should ask from helpers or staff.
Quote from: Rahnevyn on March 09, 2009, 03:39:45 PM
Clans can give stat bonuses and penalties, too. The Byn drop in wisdom is particularly notorious.

July 20, 2012, 11:07:08 AM #37 Last Edit: July 20, 2012, 11:09:18 AM by Elisar
I have never had anything spoiled by the forums. I think they are plenty strict, if not overly so, as it is now. I feel pretty disconnected from the other players most of the time because of how little day to day OOC interactions there are, such as the lack of global OOC chat, and heavily moderated forums. Most people post maybe once a month on clan forums, just for the roll call, and that is way too little for my taste- but try to start too much discussion on there and it'll be shut down pretty fast. I'd like to get to know the people I'm playing with in my clan every day, and know easier when they are around too. And I feel like any chat room sponsored by the game would be way too stiflingly censored and moderated to be any fun to participate in. I don't want current plots or current IC information ruined, but I feel like a lot of people take it way too hard core and are pretty self righteous about censoring as much information as possible. I think some people would like if there were no forums at all, and I can't get behind that or understand it.

The people who are going to abuse things are already talking with each other out of game in private, so arguing there is too much room for abuse is kind of pointless. People might start to hate you as a player if they learn too much about you and have it negatively affect your rp, but they're going to do that anyway based on assumptions and judgements people make from any small amount of info they see and put together into fake patterns. The staff can easily notice patterns of the same account murdering/griefing another account repeatedly with every new character they make and deal with that.

If you personally don't want to know certain things, don't open threads that have titles suggesting they talk about it. As long as people don't derail it shouldn't be a problem for you to be spoiled accidentally.