The 18+, probably TMI, mudsex debate thread

Started by Samoa, July 03, 2012, 08:13:09 AM

Quote from: boog on August 10, 2012, 04:09:34 PM
I have to disagree with fidgeting! I remember a certain, Rinthi bynner a couple years ago hemoting out a boner when he saw two non-nobles that worked for Kadius dressed in silk. It was the best thing ever, and I laughed for days. I mean - he wasn't naked, and it wasn't an overt boner hemote ... but it was great. And hilarious. And appropriate.

See thats okay...and awesome at times but their is a line. I caught some really horribly vulgar shit once and I won't repeat it but it was consent worthy IMHO.
The sound of a thunderous explosion tears through the air and blasts waves of pressure ripple through the ground.

Looking northward, the rugged, stubble-bearded templar asks you, in sirihish:
     "Well... I think it worked...?"

You can have sex in this game?!?!

I mudsexed Clint once in the backroom of the Sanctuary - no lie.

That's all I have to say about that.

Quote from: Bast on August 10, 2012, 04:41:59 PM
Quote from: boog on August 10, 2012, 04:09:34 PM
I have to disagree with fidgeting! I remember a certain, Rinthi bynner a couple years ago hemoting out a boner when he saw two non-nobles that worked for Kadius dressed in silk. It was the best thing ever, and I laughed for days. I mean - he wasn't naked, and it wasn't an overt boner hemote ... but it was great. And hilarious. And appropriate.

See thats okay...and awesome at times but their is a line. I caught some really horribly vulgar shit once and I won't repeat it but it was consent worthy IMHO.

There is a line, but it's kind of a grey area. If you think something is "too much", ooc for the player to stop. If they continue, wish up or send in a complaint and that player will be reprimanded. The only time where you absolutely must ask for ooc consent is for a rape scene:

Quote from: The RulesApart from the requirement that people roleplay realistically here, there are few restrictions on roleplay in Armageddon. If you choose to roleplay adult situations, that is fine. However, before instigating such an act with another player, please OOC to make sure that the roleplay is consented to. If someone is instigating roleplay that makes you (the player) uncomfortable, please OOC that they should stop. If they continue despite being told to stop, please wish up.

I have run into more disturbing things in this game than mudsex.   Actually I think the sex part seems rather normal.    One should not judge either way, it's rather arrogant to do so.
:-)

Quote from: kayza on August 12, 2012, 11:20:32 PM
I have run into more disturbing things in this game than mudsex.   Actually I think the sex part seems rather normal.    One should not judge either way, it's rather arrogant to do so.
It's a hot and interesting spot to debate on the GDB, doesn't really have anything to do with the game.

Personally?

Usually if a character mudsexes somehow, it's usually really late after I'm done doing important shit for the day, and I just want to go to sleep IRL so I FTB. If I don't, I'll fall asleep IRL during because it's pretty boring.

I think it mudsex happens because there isn't a whole lot of documentation.

What I mean is, for a PC to be well rounded they're going to have friends and family.  But, there isn't a lot of docs/ GDB help to guide a player in alternatives to "I'm an orphan"  or  stories about late nights in lonely desert sands with only a kank for comfort.

Part of the reason I think it all gets played out is "what do you think they do?" type banter where players try to define relationships w/o breaking IC.

Kind of like what Adamblue said -- it's often done after other IC work is finished.

** which, btw, probably makes it so difficult to play an actual whore/concubine in game  when really it shouldn't be a whole lot different than playing a preforming bard.
"The Highlord casts a shadow because he does not want to see skin!" -- Boog

<this space for rent>

Quote from: My 2 sids on August 29, 2012, 12:02:31 PM
I think it mudsex happens because there isn't a whole lot of documentation.

What I mean is, for a PC to be well rounded they're going to have friends and family.  But, there isn't a lot of docs/ GDB help to guide a player in alternatives to "I'm an orphan"  or  stories about late nights in lonely desert sands with only a kank for comfort.

Part of the reason I think it all gets played out is "what do you think they do?" type banter where players try to define relationships w/o breaking IC.

Kind of like what Adamblue said -- it's often done after other IC work is finished.

** which, btw, probably makes it so difficult to play an actual whore/concubine in game  when really it shouldn't be a whole lot different than playing a preforming bard.

.. I'm trying very hard not to say anything bad about a certain number of bards here, but from what I've gathered.. It doesn't -appear- to me as if their roles keep them busy 24/7.
You take the last bite of your scooby snack.
This tastes like ordinary meat.
There is nothing left now.

Mudsex is, has been, and always will be a much bigger issue on the GDB that it is in the game.

Just sayin'. ;)
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

Quote from: FantasyWriter on August 30, 2012, 06:14:37 AM
Mudsex is, has been, and always will be a much bigger issue on the GDB that it is in the game.

Just sayin'. ;)

This, totally this. What's with all the discussion threads? I don't get any other topic gets dissected nearly as much!

August 30, 2012, 10:10:57 AM #111 Last Edit: August 30, 2012, 10:22:13 PM by Hishn
Some of you are skirting disaster for this thread. Stay on topic. Play nice. Or get the lock-down fairy all up in your grill.
Nyr: lifesaver hishn to the rishncue

Yay I am going to talk about mudsex, omg.

Here are my thoughts:

Personally, I have no qualms about emoted mudsex. To me it has nothing to do with real sex and everything to do with a character. Would this character do that? Why or why not? Does this make them more interesting? Does this up the stakes in this situation? I cannot tell you how many accidental plots I've stumbled into by answering a cat call at a tavern (both on this game and on others). I would have never gotten entangled in interesting, dramatic storylines if I had said "Shove off, I don't do that." to any player sniffing around mine.

I also have no problem with people who want to fade to black or simply refrain from romantic RP. I never just sat and scoffed going "Fade to black? Pishaw! That is not as much fun!" Some people aren't comfortable or just straight up don't want to RP out sex. It isn't entertaining to them, so why try and push someone to do something that isn't fun or constructive? This is a game, afterall, and should be fun to play.

I shall spin you a tale, from a different game I played, and how mudsex contributed to a HUGE storyline. I played a courtesan. Not just any courtesan. The only courtesan in the game at the time (besides my boss, who didn't take clients). And a -real- courtesan, not a hooker (There is a difference, dangit!) ANYWAY, needless to say, my character was ballin' and decked out in the finest gear because I had oooooodles of money from being... well from doing my job. I was also friends with a good chunk of the playerbase (and enemies with a few as well), as I was often hired not just for *cough cough* "entertainment" but company and dates as well. I found out sooooo many IC secrets from clients with loose lips. I even gained enough status that when an emissary from my race roled up (another player) and started trying to talk down to her, they found themselves a pariah amongst the other players and such. He thought because so-and-so has mudsex, he must be above them. He forgot I only was rolling in coin because THOSE players he was counting on backing him were forking their money over to me. I even had a hit put out on her because she was THAT influential. All because I was a courtesan who mudsexed (and found out a TON of secrets that way). I never would have been involved in that kind of stuff if I hadn't uhhh... learned to RP something different.

I do have one problem with mudsex: the little-too-long awkward pauses. Yeeeah... those are a bit creepy. Maybe someone is making a sandwich, or watching a movie and got distracted. Or maybe they are doing something else... that's what my brain always thinks. So please be polite and try and focus, or at least drop a "gone making a sandwich" command in there. There is nothing worse than a creeper, because frankly, I just start playing solitare or Mahjong. Or just find a reason to leave.
"We cross our bridges when we come to them and burn them behind us, with nothing to show for our progress except a memory of the smell of smoke, and a presumption that once our eyes watered." - Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead by Tom Stoppard

Quote from: Belimedra on September 05, 2012, 03:36:14 AM
I do have one problem with mudsex: the little-too-long awkward pauses. Yeeeah... those are a bit creepy. Maybe someone is making a sandwich, or watching a movie and got distracted. Or maybe they are doing something else... that's what my brain always thinks.

Light RP is like light beer: It fucking sucks and makes me fall asleep.

I miss Tuluk....

So you exercised far more political power and economic power than should be feasible for a courtesan by appealing to nerds who wanted to roleplay sex? Got it. Makes for "good" plots.
Quote from: Fathi on March 08, 2018, 06:40:45 PMAnd then I sat there going "really? that was it? that's so stupid."

I still think the best closure you get in Armageddon is just moving on to the next character.

Quote from: Is Friday on September 05, 2012, 08:31:07 PM
So you exercised far more political power and economic power than should be feasible for a courtesan by appealing to nerds who wanted to roleplay sex? Got it. Makes for "good" plots.

Play nice, freckle face.
Quoteemote pees into your eyes deeply

Quote from: Delirium on November 28, 2012, 02:26:33 AM
I don't always act superior... but when I do it's on the forums of a text-based game

Don't underestimate the power of the courtesan.

Really, though. Laugh at it, but courtesans have wielded much more power than you seem to think.

I was going to

play a nonmundane noble
build a new city
make a new encampment
dig a cave
invent a telescope
learn to read
buy a metal ring
start a new clan
breed muls
make a wagon

... but then I realized my practical limitations as a player, so I decided to stick with that instead.  ;)
Quote from: Wug
No one on staff is just waiting for the opportunity to get revenge on someone who killed one of their characters years ago.

Except me. I remember every death. And I am coming for you bastards.

War of Troy happened over a woman. In ancient times 'and' now, sexual wiles had a huuge amount of indirect influence.
Peering into the darkness, your voice uncertain, you say, in sirihish:
     "You be wary, you lot. It ain' I who's locked 'p here with yeh. it's the whol
e bunch of youse that's locked down here with meh."

QuoteAll because I was a courtesan who mudsexed (and found out a TON of secrets that way).

See, this is why you should always kill your partner after mudsex. Practice safe mudsex, plotters.

People want it both ways though:

They want a PC society that thinks nothing of one-night-stands and multiple partners

But, they want to play PCs who can sleep their way into power and form plots around relationships.

Shouldn't work that way.
"The Highlord casts a shadow because he does not want to see skin!" -- Boog

<this space for rent>

Rome thought nothing of one-night-stands and multiple partners. In Rome, some women slept their way to power and relationships were often the source of intrigue.

I'd make some sort of insulting picture of this, but really, just because having sex with more than one person doesn't need to be a big deal doesn't mean that sex in general is never a big deal. My characters wouldn't mind if their (if applicable) mate would sleep with someone else, but if this 'someone else' was a mutant 'gicker foreign thieving breed, things would be different.

Also, at the same time, people form attachments. I mean, Zalanthas is shitty and gritty, and if someone's a good lay and watches out for you and you're from absolute poverty but this person represents a glimmer of something more, why wouldn't you be with them or at least, take them for as much as you can?
Case: he's more likely to shoot up a mcdonalds for selling secret obama sauce on its big macs
Kismet: didn't see you in GQ homey
BadSkeelz: Whatever you say, Kim Jong Boog
Quote from: Tuannon
There is only one boog.

Quote from: boog on September 05, 2012, 09:08:10 PM
Also, at the same time, people form attachments. I mean, Zalanthas is shitty and gritty, and if someone's a good lay and watches out for you and you're from absolute poverty but this person represents a glimmer of something more, why wouldn't you be with them or at least, take them for as much as you can?

Goes both ways, too. I reckon you're more likely to be more candid with such a partner, trusting them to help carry your weight, thus facilitating the spread of secrets. A courtesan that builds up long relationships with clients, playing off their affections, is much more dangerous than some anonymous lay.

I did not have sexual relations with that woman, Ms. Lewinsky.
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.