Ok, what do I do that /doesn't/ echo??

Started by greasygemo, June 24, 2012, 05:23:58 AM

June 24, 2012, 05:23:58 AM Last Edit: June 24, 2012, 05:25:31 AM by greasygemo
I thought "discuss" <NPC> doesn't echo, but it totally does... *facepalm*

what about these..? I've been in some situations where some of these appeared to echo..

weather
time
look (no emote attached or target)
assess <object>
look <self>
craft <object> (checking for crafting list available)
who
score
skill
stat
look/get/remove etc. <object> <target> (when the target is closed, object is not there or mistyped and it warns me)
nosave (either to show list or toggle something)
mercy <on/off>

Maybe I'm nuts.. but can anyone confirm that these do or do not echo when typed?

I have learned that one can, in fact, typo to death.

Quote from: KismeticTuluk is not Inception, the text experience.

Quote from: greasygemo on June 24, 2012, 05:23:58 AM
what about these..? I've been in some situations where some of these appeared to echo..

weather
No echo.

time
No echo.

look (no emote attached or target)
With no target, no echo.

assess <object>
Has a chance to echo, based upon someone's perception, if you assess a person.

look <self>
No echo. assess <self> can echo, however.

craft <object> (checking for crafting list available)
No echo until you actually craft. Will rearrange item in your inventory or room to be the first instance of that item, however (so craft 5.sack will make 5.sack become 1.sack)

who
No echo.

score
No echo.

skill
No echo.

stat
No echo.

look/get/remove etc. <object> <target> (when the target is closed, object is not there or mistyped and it warns me)
No echo in these specific instances.

nosave (either to show list or toggle something)
No echo.

mercy <on/off>
No echo.
<SanveanArmageddon> d00d
---
[Laeris] (11:52:53 AM): If penicillin started spilling out of your butt, what would you do with it?

As a general rule, most commands that are OOC in nature do not notice. That is to say, commands that exist to give you the player OOC information, i.e. score/stat/skills/who/time/weather. Commands that ICly give your character information, such as looking and assessing, sometimes do.

To my knowledge, everything that Samoa posted is correct!
QuoteCalavera,

Your Shoot Me In The Head request has been resolved. We do not have sufficient ammunition to process your request at this time.

Italis
Armageddon Staff

Amazing! Thank You!

Try assess -v (pc or npc keyword). This doesn't echo and can be very funny when you use it on your mount or something.
https://armageddon.org/help/view/Inappropriate%20vernacular
gorgio: someone who is not romani, not a gypsy.
kumpania: a family of story tellers.
vardo: a horse-drawn wagon used by British Romani as their home. always well-crafted, often painted and gilded

Quote from: MeTekillot on June 24, 2012, 02:41:21 PM
actually it does echo, cind.

Ok, thanks. Wow, my stupid is on a roll today.
https://armageddon.org/help/view/Inappropriate%20vernacular
gorgio: someone who is not romani, not a gypsy.
kumpania: a family of story tellers.
vardo: a horse-drawn wagon used by British Romani as their home. always well-crafted, often painted and gilded

>look [object on person] - for example, >look templar's robes, does not echo. This can be very useful for quickly figuring out what clan uniforms or clan livery people are wearing, or what rank they are, etc.

Quote from: Cind on June 24, 2012, 02:43:32 PM
Ok, thanks. Wow, my stupid is on a roll today.

You may have not noticed it in-game because assess is treated kind of like hemote - your perception skills are checked to see if your PC notices someone assessing someone.

June 24, 2012, 03:59:24 PM #9 Last Edit: June 25, 2012, 01:19:34 PM by jstorrie
sneak, walk, and run do not echo (when your character changes their movement speed) although they do change what people see when you enter or exit rooms.

They do echo when you use them while mounted, though, because in that case you're telling your mount to sneak, walk, or run - not yourself.

hide does not echo unless you fail very badly, in which case a perceptive PC might notice your attempt to hide.

scan echoes but listen does not.

analyze and value do not echo.

stand does not echo if you were already standing. This is useful because stand will break hide (and also reset your long description, I think.)

arrange echoes.

See also the helpfiles for sleight of hand, steal, and peek.

Again because of this:

Quote from: Calavera on June 24, 2012, 06:41:24 AM
As a general rule, most commands that are OOC in nature do not notice. That is to say, commands that exist to give you the player OOC information, i.e. score/stat/skills/who/time/weather. Commands that ICly give your character information, such as looking and assessing, sometimes do.

To my knowledge, everything that Samoa posted is correct!
Fredd-
i love being a nobles health points

think echoes - to some of us. ooOOOoooooo

Quote from: jstorrie on June 24, 2012, 03:59:24 PM
hide does not echo.

Mind officially blown. I thought a failed hide attempt echoed.

Samoa, that's . . . kind of incredible that you knew the answers to all of those flawlessly.  Wow!   :D
No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.

- Eleanor Roosevelt

June 25, 2012, 02:00:09 AM #14 Last Edit: June 25, 2012, 02:04:20 AM by mansa
Nevermind, I forget somethings
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

A failed hide attempt echoes sometimes.

Quote from: MeTekillot on June 25, 2012, 02:21:52 AM

Failed attempt echoes to everyone who noticed it, but 'not' you, yourself.

Does "look <target>" echo if you are hidden?

Quote from: Creslin on June 25, 2012, 10:41:01 AM
Does "look <target>" echo if you are hidden?
Not unless you append an emote to it.

QuoteA female voice says, in sirihish:
     "] yer a wizard, oashi"

Quote from: MeTekillot on June 25, 2012, 02:21:52 AM

Is that only critical failures, perhaps? I've had PCs with maxed perception skills and never seen an echo from a PC failing to hide. Maybe people just don't try to hide around me.

does arrange echo?
Even if it is your inventory before you drop it?

Arrange echo's. If the item is in your inventory when you drop-arrange it all they will see is the drop echo and any emote tacked onto it.

In sort of a similar vein, how do sneak/hide work when one fails and one succeeds?

You succeed at hiding, fail at sneaking, are you revealed?  Does it say "Someone has arrived from the west."  Is hide checked each room?

Quote from: Ktavialt on August 24, 2012, 12:56:25 AM
In sort of a similar vein, how do sneak/hide work when one fails and one succeeds?

You succeed at hiding, fail at sneaking, are you revealed?  Does it say "Someone has arrived from the west."  Is hide checked each room?

http://www.zalanthas.org/gdb/index.php/topic,23353.0.html  - about hiding
Like a lithium flower, about to bloom.

Quote from: Riya OniSenshi on August 24, 2012, 01:04:51 AM
Quote from: Ktavialt on August 24, 2012, 12:56:25 AM

http://www.zalanthas.org/gdb/index.php/topic,23353.0.html  - about hiding
I already did all my homework to avoid having Nyr link a thread that already answered my question.  Read the thread you linked, it didn't really respond to it.

Also, 2006... was that before the change where sneak/hide would work to keep you hidden as you move around?

August 24, 2012, 02:17:11 AM #25 Last Edit: August 24, 2012, 02:30:00 AM by Riya OniSenshi
Quote from: Ktavialt on August 24, 2012, 01:30:26 AM
Quote from: Riya OniSenshi on August 24, 2012, 01:04:51 AM
http://www.zalanthas.org/gdb/index.php/topic,23353.0.html  - about hiding
I already did all my homework to avoid having Nyr link a thread that already answered my question.  Read the thread you linked, it didn't really respond to it.

Also, 2006... was that before the change where sneak/hide would work to keep you hidden as you move around?

Quote from: Lizzie on October 24, 2006, 04:50:13 PM
There's no echo that confirms whether or not you actually ended up hiding successfully.

There's an echo that tells you you are in the process of making the attempt.
I'm hearing there's an echo that tells you that you have finished the attempt. But that echo doesn't say that the attempt was successful or not, only that you're done trying.

I understand the reason you don't get to see if you succeeded or not is the same reason as in real life when you try to hide. You have no way of knowing if someone can see you. Your sleeve is sticking out? Your eyes are casting a glow in the moonlight? The toe of your boot is exposed from your spot behind a tree? Your longsword is - longer than whatever you're hiding under? You have no way of knowing, until and unless someone lets you know you've been spotted.

My experience has only shown me 2 different "types" of echoes, one when I'm in a "scrub" area and one when I'm in a different area. But that might just be a guild/class thing, I'm not sure.

L. Stanson
That looks like it's about echos while hiding to me.

All these questions are answered in the GDB, as I recall reading them, so I'm a bit skeptical of your "homework"...

You're hidden until you break it, though some might say if you can be seen with scan, you're not really hidden. You won't know until someone looks at you. Failing sneak does break hide, though I don't think it says "someone enters". Sneak is checked moving from room to room, while hide is not.

Edit: These threads have some pertinent information, though not necessarily directly.
http://www.zalanthas.org/gdb/index.php/topic,39749.0.html
http://www.zalanthas.org/gdb/index.php/topic,26103.0.html

Not sure how you missed http://www.zalanthas.org/gdb/index.php/topic,30564.msg339879.html#msg339879 either...

Well... you answered it, though those links hadn't; nothing on point as to whether hide is broken if you fail a sneak, and what the result is, and whether hide is checked every single room, or sneak is checked every room. 

But, in either case, thanks a bunch.  At least you answered most of it.

Quote from: Cind on June 24, 2012, 02:38:31 PM
Try assess -v (pc or npc keyword). This doesn't echo and can be very funny when you use it on your mount or something.

Or a trainging dummy.
Quote from: evilcabbage on September 20, 2012, 02:34:00 AM
I slam my face on my keyboard and watch for words to come out, then I write around those.

August 24, 2012, 10:17:24 AM #28 Last Edit: August 24, 2012, 10:20:20 AM by Riya OniSenshi
Quote from: Ktavialt on August 24, 2012, 02:50:53 AM
Well... you answered it, though those links hadn't; nothing on point as to whether hide is broken if you fail a sneak, and what the result is, and whether hide is checked every single room, or sneak is checked every room.  

But, in either case, thanks a bunch.  At least you answered most of it.

From the second link, bolding mine:

Quote from: Gimfalisette on May 01, 2007, 07:31:56 PM
Quote from: RindanSo, here is a simple question.  Under the new hide system  you can (from what I understand) hide, then sneak.  The question is, how in the hell does this actually work?  Do you do a hide check in each room as you move?  Does failing a sneak check un-hide you?  If you get un-hidden, do you try and rehide the next time you move?

When you hide, then sneak (or the reverse, doesn't matter as long as you do them in the same room), you do not do a hide check in each room. You do a sneak check, and if your sneak is successful, then you stay hidden. Failing sneak breaks hide. If you break hide, you must re-hide to be hidden again.

For a character with maxed (or near-maxed) sneak/hide, it is very possible to hide and then sneak all the way across a city without breaking now. It's very viable to be crim flagged now and evade jail time this way. There are ways to test in game whether or not you are able to do this, even if you're not crim flagged.

Why you would think the message of a failed sneak is different than what the default message for sneak is when not hidden, fuck knows, but it's something that should be obvious when you see it in-game.

Although, the help file says that sneak lasts for a certain while after a "successful" sneak... so it seems to be to be sure the best thing to do is to sneak, move a few rooms (hoping it works one of those times) then hide... or hide each room.

i.e.
sneak;e (failed); s (failed); e (success - sneak works for 2 minutes, for instance); hide (success); then the rest of the movement.

Not sure what the help file is referring to with that line, but it sounds like mechanics that should not be discussed.

Are you sure "look" doesn't have an echo? Because I've seen "<sdesc> looks around" or something similar from different characters. And I know there is an echo for some sort of syntax about yourself "<sdesc> looks down at his/herself" or something similar. That might be assess self, but I'd think that'd be "<sdesc> looks down at his/herself assessively".
Light RP is like light beer: It fucking sucks and makes me fall asleep.

I miss Tuluk....

Look echos. Look while hidden does not echo. Look in a direction or at an object and it will not echo unless you use a command emote with it "look west [squinting against the harsh sunlight]

"look <character>" while unhidden echos.

"look self" and "look" alone definitely do not.  If you have seen "<PC> looks around.", presumably that was an emote.  Not sure if adding a () emote to either of those causes an echo, but if so, seems more likely in the "look self" case, since that is analogous to "look <character>".

Not totally sure, but I think I may have picked up people assessing themselves from time to time. 

I'm pretty sure if you add a command emote to any 'look' that will cause it to echo, except maybe for the room, huh. :)
Quoteemote pees into your eyes deeply

Quote from: Delirium on November 28, 2012, 02:26:33 AM
I don't always act superior... but when I do it's on the forums of a text-based game