Hate! (again)

Started by Decameron, May 25, 2012, 03:13:29 PM

Only way out to find out the truth: Play one!

Also, more hate. Especially vs exceptions to the rule. 8)

Dwarves are stereotypically like that annoying guy in accounting: an expert in a limited field of action, and often not much use outside of that. That expertise is often (but not always) smashing skulls.

While you probably want dwarves on your side when it comes down to cases, you are unlikely to invite them to parties unless you are looking to make a show of strength. They are not socially up to human rank or standards. They are the descendants of slaves, and tend to have limited social skills.

Dwarves make lousy friends but excellent organizational employees. They tend to live quite a while (approx 150% of human lifespan) and once (slowly) trained, can be pretty expert in what they do.
"I have seen him show most of the attributes one expects of a noble: courtesy, kindness, and honor.  I would also say he is one of the most bloodthirsty bastards I have ever met."

Quote from: Akaramu on July 13, 2012, 01:11:16 PM
Only way out to find out the truth: Play one!

Also, more hate. Especially vs exceptions to the rule. 8)

Hypocrite!
I'm taking an indeterminate break from Armageddon for the foreseeable future and thereby am not available for mudsex.
In law a man is guilty when he violates the rights of others. In ethics he is guilty if he only thinks of doing so.

I think from now on I'm just going to pop in on threads to say: "Hey guys I played a gypsy!"
Quote from: Fathi on March 08, 2018, 06:40:45 PMAnd then I sat there going "really? that was it? that's so stupid."

I still think the best closure you get in Armageddon is just moving on to the next character.

Never trust an elf.
The Devil doesn't dawdle.

Not sure how I overlooked this thread given the title but very well done. Great post. I am a firm believer that there should be more hate, prejudice, and racism. I would love to see more play into the various social classes as well.
"People survive by climbing over anyone who gets in their way, by cheating, stealing, killing, swindling, or otherwise taking advantage of others."
-Ginka

"Don't do this. I can't believe I have to write this post."
-Rathustra

"I have seen him show most of the attributes one expects of a noble: courtesy, kindness, and honor.  I would also say he is one of the most bloodthirsty bastards I have ever met."

Having an enemy in game can sometimes be very exciting.  I'd love to see more conflict in the game between people who just absolutely hate each other.
You notice: A war beetle squeezes out an Orin-sized ball of dung.

I try to make enemies.

Usually, it doesn't work.
Case: he's more likely to shoot up a mcdonalds for selling secret obama sauce on its big macs
Kismet: didn't see you in GQ homey
BadSkeelz: Whatever you say, Kim Jong Boog
Quote from: Tuannon
There is only one boog.

Quote from: boog on August 17, 2012, 01:05:00 AM
I try to make enemies.

Or they are just subtle about it. ;)
If someone knows that you are their enemy, you have lost quite an advantage.
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

Quote from: FantasyWriter on August 17, 2012, 03:48:52 PM
I try to make enemies.

Keep your friends close and your enemies closer I guess. Still, I'd like to see some outright emnity that isn't strictly racial.
Now you're looking for the secret. But you won't find it because of course, you're not really looking. You don't really want to work it out. You want to be fooled.

More people need to be assholes.
Or just beat the shit out of people you don't like instead of killing them.  They might return the favor one day.
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

Quote from: FantasyWriter on August 17, 2012, 03:48:52 PM
I try to make enemies.

Well if you want to be effective, then sure...

But the open enemies are more fun. Then everyone gets to play!

Also fun, having your closest allies act as your open enemies in public.

You guys HAVE read Tzu Sun, right? If not, you can usually get a pocket art of war at most large book stores for five bucks or less.
Grebber - One who grebs.

I think it depends on the character and their understanding of politics along with their personal level of self control.

Not every grebber needs to (or should) be Sir Amos the Savvy.

tru dat
Grebber - One who grebs.

Quote from: FantasyWriter on August 17, 2012, 04:11:09 PM
Or just beat the shit out of people you don't like instead of killing them.  They might return the favor one day.

I hope your current character is an asshole, and beats the shit out of people instead of killing them. I know mine certainly is, and does. ;)

Quote from: Rhyden on August 17, 2012, 06:37:25 PM
Quote from: FantasyWriter on August 17, 2012, 04:11:09 PM

I hope your current character is an asshole, and beats the shit out of people instead of killing them. I know mine certainly is, and does. ;)

Find out IC.
I can only remember twice that I PKed when I didn't have to (or was not getting paid to.
One was a merchant that worked for my Kadian. Gave them two RL weeks of warnings that they were pissing off the wrong people, to either stop, disappear or die.
The were still around two weeks later, so I eliminated the first two options for them.

The other was someone who threatened to turn me in for doing something illegal that I didn't do. Although, I was doing lots of other illegal stuff that, to my knowledge, no one new about yet and I wanted to keep it that way.
Grebber - One who grebs.

I find it extremely jarring when random, strange characters help my character out of the goodness of their heart. Freaks.
Quoteemote pees into your eyes deeply

Quote from: Delirium on November 28, 2012, 02:26:33 AM
I don't always act superior... but when I do it's on the forums of a text-based game

Something I was thinking about the other day...

"Hate" should have a hierarchy just like any other part of life in Zananthas.  What is seen as 'hate' by some should be seen as part of life by others.

If my human has worked hard to make a name for themselves in a house or whatever and someone let's say spits on them -- they could take offense, see it as hate, whatever.

But, if my breed who may be wearing silks and works for a house is randomly punched in the face -- well, that's just life.

Further, if some 2nd-class person (breed/rinith/non-citizen) is trying to spend sid or rank to take offence at some ridiculous thing -- then they should be laughed at and thought to be trying to live higher than their lot.

**that is, if some rinither comes up to my thug-for-hire and says "Amos keeps spitting on me" -- I'd take his sid and laugh in his face.  He shouldn't take offence to what is justly (it's the Highlord's will he's spat upon) given to him

Short of physical harm (killing/maming) giving some 2nd rate person trash talk or maybe even a slap -- shouldn't be even discussed as "hating" or "offending"

"The Highlord casts a shadow because he does not want to see skin!" -- Boog

<this space for rent>

Quote from: Maso on August 17, 2012, 07:26:48 PM
I find it extremely jarring when random, strange characters help my character out of the goodness of their heart. Freaks.

Uggggggggggggggggg.... No kidding. I always make a point of checking my pockets and flaps as well as eyeballing shadows and giving them suspicious looks.
Grebber - One who grebs.

Quote from: My 2 sids on August 17, 2012, 07:29:07 PM

Short of physical harm (killing/maming) giving some 2nd rate person trash talk or maybe even a slap -- shouldn't be even discussed as "hating" or "offending"

Maybe not from the perspective of the person doling it out. It would be unrealistic to think that the person on the receiving end isn't hurt/upset/betrayed/angered by their treatment. The social hierarchy just dictates that for whatever reason...they probably won't voice this, retaliate for stand up for themselves.

Amos the breed might let that Bynner beat him up in the Gaj. He might simply allow it to happen then crawl into the corner to bleed and cry. Because he knows if he fights back no one will care. They will probably laugh at him or join in to give him a bigger beating. That doesn't mean he isn't full of seething hatred, confusion and pain. That doesn't mean that he won't sneak into the Bynners apartment in the middle of the night and stab him in the thigh with a poisoned dagger. Then cradle his head softly, singing Allanaki lullabies while he strokes his hair and watches him die.

I don't always act superior... but when I do it's on the forums of a text-based game

Agreed and disagree.

The idea of having "Betters"  (knowing/believing they are indeed better than oneself) doesn't just apply to nobility/commoner.  It applies all the way down -- being a mutant-breed, magicker really IS the worst form of life.  It's acceptable because it's true.
"The Highlord casts a shadow because he does not want to see skin!" -- Boog

<this space for rent>

I play random Good Samaritans all the time. (And I rule.)
Quote from: Fathi on March 08, 2018, 06:40:45 PMAnd then I sat there going "really? that was it? that's so stupid."

I still think the best closure you get in Armageddon is just moving on to the next character.

Quote from: Is Friday on August 20, 2012, 07:52:50 PM
I play random Good Samaritans all the time. (And I rule.)

I actually had a really awesome 'good samaritan' encounter recently. I actually logged it so...in a years time. Heh. So I suppose it depends how it's done. That made sense. Sometimes it makes sense...sometimes it would be easier for me to swallow if they just stole my boots.