Hate! (again)

Started by Decameron, May 25, 2012, 03:13:29 PM

When I started playing this game in the way back, the hatred and bigotry of the world made me fall for this game. It is a hard world to live in and people tend to go to extremes to ensure their survival. The game has changed alot since then, but I would love to see more biased actions occur.
Don't listen to me, I'm only a newb.

What about Fear? I see way more hating on magickers than I do fear of them. Personally I tent to play my non-magickers as horrified of magick.
The sound of a thunderous explosion tears through the air and blasts waves of pressure ripple through the ground.

Looking northward, the rugged, stubble-bearded templar asks you, in sirihish:
     "Well... I think it worked...?"

Because whereas nobody minds playing a flawed character, which isn't even true in some cases, playing a character with weaknesses is something much, much rarer.
You take the last bite of your scooby snack.
This tastes like ordinary meat.
There is nothing left now.

Quote from: Bast on August 27, 2012, 01:45:40 PM
What about Fear? I see way more hating on magickers than I do fear of them. Personally I tent to play my non-magickers as horrified of magick.

I don't see the division between hate and fear as being a very tidy one.  I think in regards to racism, war and religious conflicts IRL, the two are blended together. That's how I picture the attitude towards magick in arm as well, feared and hated to the point of the most extreme and violent persecution.

You (the general you) wanna see more fear towards magickers? Make a scary magicker. You wanna see more hate towards elves? Make an asshole elf. It's really that simple.

Quote from: Rhyden on August 27, 2012, 07:46:29 PM

You (the general you) wanna see more fear towards magickers? Make a scary magicker. You wanna see more hate towards elves? Make an asshole elf. It's really that simple.

Yeah, I used to love humans 'til Rhyden started playing them. Now I run and hide whenever I see muscular men walking toward my PC. :(
And I vanish into the dark
And rise above my station

Quote from: Fathi on August 28, 2012, 02:40:17 AM

Yeah, I used to love humans 'til Rhyden started playing them. Now I run and hide whenever I see muscular men walking toward my PC. :(

I find that hard to believe! Rhyden seems like a big, bundle of cuddly fur.

But I agree with the sentiment. Also, creating a character that hates vehemently can help too. If you roll a character who is hateful of X, this can inspire those around you and drum up support. Maybe a few characters you regularly see in the Gaj also hate elves...but maybe they are too shy/scared/nervous to voice it, so every time an elf walks in they just politely leave or go quiet. A bolshy, loudmouth can help give them something to rally behind!
Quoteemote pees into your eyes deeply

Quote from: Delirium on November 28, 2012, 02:26:33 AM
I don't always act superior... but when I do it's on the forums of a text-based game

For similar reasons, my "muscular men" run and shriek in horror when they see women looking like tank girl approaching. :o

Quote from: Rhyden on August 28, 2012, 03:42:10 PM

For similar reasons, my "muscular men" run and shriek in horror when they see women looking like tank girl approaching. :o

My pc's just hide behind their mother's skirts, peeking around her.
The funny little foreign man

I often hear the jingle to -Riunite on ice- when I read the estate name Reynolte, eve though there ain't no ice in Zalanthas.

Really, all the hatred that you can muster in your gut feels artificial if you've played a long-lived character who's had many friends and many experiences. Even the most racist bastard will have some measure of respect for another race if he has worked with that race or fought them. Don't tell me that you don't hate, but respect gith after running into them multiple times. You don't taunt them, you just kill them. It's them or you.

Quote from: AdamBlue on August 28, 2012, 07:10:28 PM
Don't tell me that you don't hate, but respect gith after running into them multiple times.

:D

I encourage you to find out in-game, but there's good reasons for gith hate.

Allow me to correct my grammar:

Hate, BUT respect Gith.
Fuck Gith.

Gith never emote, they are twinks.
:-)

They totally do emote. It's just the same emote over and over.

Which is just worse because they're probably one of those chumps who has a trigger set up to throw off an emote when they parry an attack or whatever.

Hate is great! But only if it actually does something.

The casual glaring emote to just ignoring the character is kind of dull eventually the two players end up just being VNPC to each other.  And hence you might as well not exist.  Obviously some characters have a very IC reason to do this, but too many people playing these types is bad.  If you must ignore, please plot against the characters in other ways.

In your face hate ready to kill each other or talking but being very cautious is better.  Both involve the players to actually have RP.

So please, either hate someone openly in their face or talk to them(use your thinks if you feel you are being too kind) 

Also to players who get ignored, feel free to make them your targets of your anguish. :D  This is a RP mud we like to RP with each other :D
:-)

September 02, 2012, 03:03:40 AM #90 Last Edit: September 02, 2012, 03:06:31 AM by Hicksville Hoochie
I have to say, the hate in the game is vastly different now than when I left on my break at the end of 2004. Still fun, mind, but I sometimes wonder if my mindset is in the wrong place, because things feel a lot less brutal these days. =P (Or maybe having bills and stuff has made me an angry, person.  :o )

I started playing back in '93.  It was brutally hateful world back then. I took a 2-3 year hiatus around '97, came back and played a few months, and it was noteably less so.  Took another, very long, break until a couple weeks ago.  Now it's a virutal love-fest compared to the way it used to be.  I seriously though about PKing a guy who, after a few minutes of introductory convo asked me if I wanted to be friends.  That, however, would have been an OOC response, so, if he's dead by now, it wasn't by my hand.  But, man, do I miss the days of vehement racial hatreds.  
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."

-John F. Kennedy

Yeah, the hate is different now than from the time Arm was a hack & slash mud, big fucking surprise  ::). Now you have to actually have a reason to Pk someone. Decline.

Wasn't hack and slash back then.  In fact, I don't recall it ever being hack and slash.  Players were just rougher. RP was still the main focus.  People just cared less that staying in character and true to the nature of the world meant others would die.  I especially remember elves getting the short end of the stick the most.   ;D  Now, it seems, there aren't many antagonists.  How I miss Blackmoon.
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."

-John F. Kennedy

Quote from: Maker on September 02, 2012, 08:53:55 AM
Wasn't hack and slash back then.  In fact, I don't recall it ever being hack and slash.  Players were just rougher. RP was still the main focus.  People just cared less that staying in character and true to the nature of the world meant others would die.  I especially remember elves getting the short end of the stick the most.   ;D  Now, it seems, there aren't many antagonists.  How I miss Blackmoon.
Are we playing the same game?

I agree with Maker and Hoochie. I've been playing since 2000 and took about a two year break in 2010. Now that I am back, people seem much softer. People don't treat the social classes as they used to and seem shocked when someone from an upper echelon reminds them of their place. I've experienced a few other things that I perceive as being negative but they are not related to this topic so I won't bother sharing them here. In just those two years, the game has changed a lot. It is still the best MUD out there and I love it but it is notably different and not for the better. I guess when you are around something all the time you don't notice those subtle changes that add up over time.
"People survive by climbing over anyone who gets in their way, by cheating, stealing, killing, swindling, or otherwise taking advantage of others."
-Ginka

"Don't do this. I can't believe I have to write this post."
-Rathustra

Quote from: Maker on September 02, 2012, 08:53:55 AM
How I miss Blackmoon.

Make a new raider group and spread the hate! Granted, you may likely never have any sort of support or an actual camp; you can still have fun with it. I've had a few over the years. I remember one small band where I played a raider who started a pretty cool little raiding group. You can even read the story that one of the other players posted. I believe it is called "Eems the raider" or something similar. I was the 'thick' one, I believe. ;)
"People survive by climbing over anyone who gets in their way, by cheating, stealing, killing, swindling, or otherwise taking advantage of others."
-Ginka

"Don't do this. I can't believe I have to write this post."
-Rathustra

Quote from: The Lonely Hunter on September 02, 2012, 01:23:13 PM
People don't treat the social classes as they used to and whine like bitches when someone from an upper echelon reminds them of their place.
Quote from: Fathi on March 08, 2018, 06:40:45 PMAnd then I sat there going "really? that was it? that's so stupid."

I still think the best closure you get in Armageddon is just moving on to the next character.

Quote from: Is Friday on September 02, 2012, 01:33:44 PM
People don't treat the social classes as they used to and whine like bitches when someone from an upper echelon reminds them of their place.

Yeah, you better watch it, they might get a bard to compose a poem about you!!!  :'(
"When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse's feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back."

Quote from: Malken on September 02, 2012, 02:03:39 PM
Quote from: Is Friday on September 02, 2012, 01:33:44 PM

Yeah, you better watch it, they might get a bard to compose a poem about you!!!  :'(

Psht. That's what you get for playing in Tuluk.
My noble made someone eat a shit sandwich.  Literally. ;)
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.