Hate! (again)

Started by Decameron, May 25, 2012, 03:13:29 PM

Quote from: Is Friday on September 02, 2012, 01:33:44 PM
Quote from: The Lonely Hunter on September 02, 2012, 01:23:13 PM
People don't treat the social classes as they used to and whine like bitches kill the fuck out of the upper class when someone from an upper echelon reminds them of their place.

Quote from: Wug on September 02, 2012, 06:27:45 PM
Be the change.
No sorry instead you have to whine about the indescribable differences between now and the good old days

Quote from: Case on September 02, 2012, 07:08:13 PM
Quote from: Wug on September 02, 2012, 06:27:45 PM
Be the change.
No sorry instead you have to whine about the indescribable differences between now and the good old days

Or we can do both.  ;D

So basically you are trying to gain OOC support for something you want to happen IC?
:-)

That's not what I said at all.

This is a discussion board, and the discussion is on hate in the game world. I gave my opinion on the subject. Nothing I've said has been an attempt to garner any kind of ooc support for what happens in the game.

My character(s) are perfectly capable of their own personal brands of hate, based on their personalities. I don't see how giving my opinion on it in a thread dedicated to the subject is an attempt to garner ooc support.

September 02, 2012, 08:17:38 PM #106 Last Edit: September 02, 2012, 08:42:30 PM by kayza
You are right that was mean of me.  

I tend to play elves so I am doing the same thing anyways.

EDIT:

But this subforum name should be changed to..

You guys are RPing all wrong.  Let me tell you how it's done!

Or would that be too long of a title?

Actually, you are playing wrong if you aren't following documentation. To include: Not being aware of social class/caste.
Quote from: Fathi on March 08, 2018, 06:40:45 PMAnd then I sat there going "really? that was it? that's so stupid."

I still think the best closure you get in Armageddon is just moving on to the next character.

Quote from: Is Friday on September 02, 2012, 09:14:45 PM
Actually, you are playing wrong if you aren't following documentation. To include: Not being aware of social class/caste.

And I really feel it does happen.  I really think sometimes I am playing a different game than what people are writing here.

Quote from: kayza on September 02, 2012, 09:16:42 PM
Quote from: Is Friday on September 02, 2012, 09:14:45 PM

And I really feel it does happen.  I really think sometimes I am playing a different game than what people are writing here.

I think there's a vocal minority that really distorts things on the GDB. That's my theory.

I'm 99% sure that the turnover rate for noobles and nooblars means that any documentation breaking uppity PCs will be killed. I know -my- uppity PC got murdered publically awhile back.

If you think someone is stepping out of place, just offer to kill them. Bet you the higher caste people pay you to do it.

Someone around here has to play the rabble rousers.
Quote from: Fathi on March 08, 2018, 06:40:45 PMAnd then I sat there going "really? that was it? that's so stupid."

I still think the best closure you get in Armageddon is just moving on to the next character.

Quote from: Is Friday on September 02, 2012, 09:23:50 PM
Someone around here has to play the rabble rousers.

And some have to play rabble.
"I have seen him show most of the attributes one expects of a noble: courtesy, kindness, and honor.  I would also say he is one of the most bloodthirsty bastards I have ever met."

I was referring to the GDB roleplay if that wasn't too clear.

Quote from: The Lonely Hunter on September 02, 2012, 01:23:13 PMthe game has changed a lot. It is still the best MUD out there and I love it but it is notably different and not for the better.

I think if players really wanted a harsher version of Arm they'd have it. The current dynamics of the game, to me, simply reflect the player's wishes.

There is definitely a level of toughness that no longer exists in present day Arm. But where it's improved is clan NPC leaders aren't constantly up in your business anymore, players are in far more control of the game world, magick and psionics are now exceptionally rare (in my 4 or 5 months of recent playing I haven't seen any whatsoever) and iso clans which once formed their own private MUD within a MUD have been done away with.

It's difficult to balance things to a level where everyone's happy. In the much older days of Arm, yes, it was an obscenely violent place. But there was no crafting code, the emote code was severely limited, and the game world over all was nowhere near as fleshed out or documented as it is today (we have an entire page devoted to plants for chrissake!) Consequently there was a lot less to do other than kill and the game was much closer to being a MUD in the more traditional sense back then than it is now. If you want a greater focus on RP and depth, you have to accept that some of the violence, the hate, the harshness, etc. will die down a little. But, as many have already pointed out, nothing's stopping you, the individual, from advancing the harshness. It's easy to come on the GDB and say the game has changed and not for the better, but at the end of the day the current game world as it is reflects the desires of the current playerbase.

Why don't stumps hate the Master race? Mind you, I've never rolled one, so maybe they do.

September 03, 2012, 03:05:13 AM #116 Last Edit: September 03, 2012, 09:33:56 AM by FantasyWriter
They've been bread since the Age of Man (if not longer) to serve them.

Edit: Bred, too.
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

Quote from: Hicksville Hoochie on September 02, 2012, 03:03:40 AM
I have to say, the hate in the game is vastly different now than when I left on my break at the end of 2004. Still fun, mind, but I sometimes wonder if my mindset is in the wrong place, because things feel a lot less brutal these days. =P (Or maybe having bills and stuff has made me an angry, person.  :o )
Naaaah, everyone has just gotten soft. Show us how to really hate.

For a more serious post, I point you all to this thread from 1999 where people were complaining about how soft the game had become.

Personally I'm glad those uber NPCs are no longer in the game. Because they were brutal and while dangerous, discouraged people taking risks which made the game world safer. I think we've struck a nice balance compared to those days.

I solemnly swear my next roll will be an uncompromising, hateful, murderous, jerk wad.
I will seek out that which you love dearest, and crush it to dust in front of you, then leave you to stew for the rest of your life.
Promise.
;D
I have learned that one can, in fact, typo to death.

Quote from: KismeticTuluk is not Inception, the text experience.

Quote from: greasygemo on September 04, 2012, 12:44:32 AM
I solemnly swear my next roll will be an uncompromising, hateful, murderous, jerk wad.
I will seek out that which you love dearest, and crush it to dust in front of you, then leave you to stew for the rest of your life.

... While listening to the lamentation of my wimmen?  :'(
"When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse's feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back."

They will only lament for a moment before I strangle them and arrange them into amusing postures in your apartment for you to find when you get home from work.
::)

Quote from: greasygemo on September 04, 2012, 12:44:32 AM
Promise.
;D

Same.

Quote from: greasygemo on September 04, 2012, 12:50:26 AM
They will only lament for a moment before I strangle them and arrange them into amusing postures in your apartment for you to find when you get home from work.
::)

You hateful, uncompromising murderous jerk wad you :(

..Oh, wait, right, that's what you were going for.
"When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse's feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back."

Hey Kayza, when I'm done making a chandelier from Malkens wimmens, you wanna swing by and trample him with an inix? That'd be great. Thanks bro.
;D