Armageddon MUD Advertising, 2012

Started by Feco, April 27, 2012, 02:38:44 PM

April 27, 2012, 02:38:44 PM Last Edit: November 30, 2017, 02:06:57 PM by Feco
I thought it might be interesting to try and spur a little bit of advertising for the game -- it can never hurt to have more players.  Referring friends and the MUD top10 lists seem to be the biggest source of new players, but I don't see any reason we can't try a few different avenues (I know this has done in the past -- did several GDB searches about it).

1)  I was noticing that on reddit's /r/gaming, the threshold for actually getting to a decent position on their "What's reddit playing?" list is obscenely low.  While getting on the Top 10 (the only displayed on the main page) might be difficult, getting to the #25 position only requires 60 users to quickly register, and message the bot.  While it wouldn't be a massive BOOM to players, you never know what sort of attention even being somewhere that close to the top might get us.  If everyone is willing to quickly sign up and send the quick message, we can try and get some level of return.

I think the name we all should send in should be Armageddon MUD.  Once people google that, they'll go straight to our homepage.

Here is the list.
Register an account on Reddit, and then click this link in order to let the bot know what game you're playing.

2) Secondly, seeing as Armageddon MUD is a "niche" game nowadays, we could always throw a flier or two up in niche locations, such as gaming stores.  If someone is willing to whip up a flier, I'd be more than willing to ask one of the gaming stores in town if I can tack it up on their board.

I made this right quick, and while it would probably be useless, I've taped a few up on campus.  You never know who we might draw in.

3) If you frequent any other forums (potentially not other MUDs, as they may frown on advertising using their forums), throw a thread up in the relevant section telling people about the game.  I know in the past threads on SomethingAwful and the Bay12 forums have brought a handfull of players -- if we can get one or two from another forum we each visit, that could turn substantial.

So any other ideas?  At the very least, it can't hurt.

And don't forget to fucking vote.  I found this game on TMC, and I have no doubt that lists like that bring us the most players.
QuoteSunshine all the time makes a desert.
Vote at TMS
Vote at TMC

Well, I see two other players liked the reddit idea.

:)
Vote at TMS
Vote at TMC

Awh c'mon people. I just did the reddit thing in under a minute, even with having to register first.

I did it too, I think it's a really good idea. More newbs!

Hey, we're up to six!

Summer classes start two weeks from now, so I might go ahead and post up a handful of those QR codes, unless someone has a better flier.
Vote at TMS
Vote at TMC

Done.
Quote from: LauraMars
Quote from: brytta.leofaLaura, did weird tribal men follow you around at age 15?
If by weird tribal men you mean Christians then yes.

Quote from: Malifaxis
She was teabagging me.

My own mother.

Signing up for reddit does not require an email address, so like drunkendwarf said, it literally can take less than a minute.
Vote at TMS
Vote at TMC

Done baaaaby.
Quote from: Fathi on March 08, 2018, 06:40:45 PMAnd then I sat there going "really? that was it? that's so stupid."

I still think the best closure you get in Armageddon is just moving on to the next character.

At Rank 80 with 11 votes!

Let's keep it up! :D

Just a suggestion; but maybe we should have some of these 'vote links' in the actual MUD, in the 'Welcome to Armageddon' screen. Just a single line or something mentioning: "If you like Armageddon MUD - Please remember to vote so we can continue to share this game!"

I know we have a Facebook page but is it, you know, the 'Official' Armageddon Facebook page? If so; why not advertise that as well, on the website's homepage? Just at the bottom, "Like us on Facebook!"

Lol. Man. I just totally suggested selling out ARM, didn't I?
Quote from: brytta.leofaLaura, did weird tribal men follow you around at age 15?

She was teabagging me.

My own mother.

Oh good god I see enough reddit memes in game as it is.

Quote from: Yam on April 29, 2012, 11:49:02 PM
Oh good god I see enough reddit memes in game as it is.

... Really?

Where?
Vote at TMS
Vote at TMC

Reddit memes?

ARGHAGLARGHALLL

...Actually I've just been waiting for an excuse to post that. It's one of the things I expect to kill me in Zalanthas. I'll go vote now.

BadSkeelz... That gif is fucking terrifying D:

She was teabagging me.

My own mother.

That gif just brought back memories of a very bad night :(
Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

Quote from: Delirium on August 04, 2014, 10:11:38 AM
fuck authority smoke weed erryday

oh and here's a free videogame.

Get on a bad trip and start thinking the Corinthian was out to get you?

Need Fiddler's Green asap to come to the rescue!

/end derail
The figure in a dark hooded cloak says in rinthi-accented Sirihish, 'Winrothol Tor Fale?'

I BELIEVE YAM NOW.

But really tho' I think it's still a good idea.
Vote at TMS
Vote at TMC

April 30, 2012, 08:30:54 PM #18 Last Edit: April 30, 2012, 08:36:50 PM by Feco
At least Yam expressed his disapproval... unlike you non-vocal objectors.

:)
Vote at TMS
Vote at TMC

Technically not playing, but done anyway!  Note that the now playing list has to be renewed every 30 days, or it expires.

We really need to update the description on Top Mud Sites.

"Over a decade old." Lol.

Quote from: Synthesis
Quote from: lordcooper
You go south and one of the other directions that isn't north.  That is seriously the limit of my geographical knowledge of Arm.
Sarge?

Current Rank #65 with 16 votes.

10 more then we'll be in the top 50.

She was teabagging me.

My own mother.

Quote from: Gunnerblaster on May 01, 2012, 03:20:55 AM

If we got all 242 people who played last week to do it, we would be in 13th place.

Quote from: Cutthroat on May 01, 2012, 08:17:23 AM
Quote from: Gunnerblaster on May 01, 2012, 03:20:55 AM

If we got all 242 people who played last week to do it, we would be in 13th place.

Which would literally bring us a SHIT STORM of players.  It would be fucking awesome (and stressful for staff in the short term :p).
Vote at TMS
Vote at TMC

It would be good if there was a way to name and shame frequent GDB'ers who don't vote. It's a really lame excuse that they just forget all the time.