Entertaining the Minions

Started by Intrepid, September 26, 2011, 04:32:13 PM

Though this probably isn't something you personally have a problem with, Intrepid, I'm putting this out there:

Remember that you are not just a Leader and your minion is not just a Minion.

Develop actual relationships with the PCs that work for you, be it favourable or unfavourable.

It's easy to keep your crew entertained when they look forward to interacting with you because of your character and not just because of what quests you dish out.

I've found that in clanned play, it's easy to fall into a routine. Especially in a clan with a schedule, or in a clan where most of your business consists of doing the same tasks over and over again. This leads to seeing other PCs in your clan as representatives of their assigned role, when in reality they could be a lot more than that if you gave them a chance and they did likewise for you.
QuoteCalavera,

Your Shoot Me In The Head request has been resolved. We do not have sufficient ammunition to process your request at this time.

Italis
Armageddon Staff

Quote from: Calavera on October 03, 2011, 02:58:18 AM

This.

Frankly I find once I start playing the leadership role I'm in for PLOT and not for FUN and for the other enjoyment of the others in the clan, the role/game becomes a nightmare. This is more extreme perhaps for me as I'm off-peak and it is not a joy to stay up till 5am a few nights of the week so I can make sure we all go here and do this because that person is on, etc..

The good news is, once other PCs in the clan have shown they are not going to get killed in a few weeks and get a feel for their character, the clan, the setting, THEY get to do all the cool leadership stuff when the leader is away.

I prefer a flatline system of management rather than a tier (with one person who would have the final say, for better or for worse). More things to do and little missions are available for more ppl that way.

Czar of City Elves.

Quote from: Calavera on October 03, 2011, 02:58:18 AM

I find the best characters in Arm are the ones with flaws; this absolutely includes leaders too. To me, flawless characters are just so boring, and they add little flavour to the game as a whole. This goes double for leaders. Some of the most incredible, awe-inspiring plots I've seen in game have not been because of a leader's successes, but because of their flaws, and failures. If you don't get what I mean, look at Tony Soprano, from "The Sopranos". A great leader, but with great flaws. Had he not had any flaws, the best show ever made for tv wouldn't have made it past season 1.

Continue what you have been doing.  Evolve slowly.

Of course, I've never had a sponsored leadership role, so these are really for non-sponsored.
Evolution ends when stupidity is no longer fatal."

When I play a leader, I make massive plans, then break them down into sub-plans. I then pick the foundation sub-plan, and assign minions to complete aspects of it. When one sub-plan is completed, I move to the next, and so on. It's rarely uber-exciting, but it always gives your players a goal, no matter how small or big.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

Some thoughts:

What I personally enjoy the most is regular interaction with the leadery PC. They tend to be interesting, well-played characters. What I don't enjoy is leader logging on, giving me a bunch of mostly meaningless tasks, leader logging off. I don't need to be kept busy, I can keep myself entertained with personal projects I will probably enjoy more than buying a flask of performe for that noble.

Less meaningless tasks, more interaction! Really, I'd rather roleplay brushing lady Silkytressed's hair for 30 mins than spend that time running to the bazaar for her. Meaningful tasks that are tied into plots, though... hooray! I don't need them happening ALL the time, just where it makes sense is ok.

A noble I never forgot from yeeeeears ago: Lord Hardestadt Oash. He was awesome because he would gather underlings and talk about really interesting, fairly large-impact stuff that made everyone go ooooh and aaaah, even the newer clannies that had not yet been tested for five years. Absolutely zero tasks just for the sake of keeping people 'busy'.

I hate how leadership PCs tend to rely on their NPCs. They have PC minions of the same rank but take the NPCs to the secret meetings because NPCs are 100% loyal.

Are you talking about bodyguards?

Sort of yeah, or soldiers. If you have a PC soldier/guard for your organization.

Quote from: Titania on January 17, 2012, 06:27:20 PM
Sort of yeah, or soldiers. If you have a PC soldier/guard for your organization.

I would take them all!

But you also have to sorta recognize that people don't always play at the same times, etc, etc, etc. There could be a hundred reasons for not bringing a PC guard as opposed to an NPC, other than the loyalty thing.
Case: he's more likely to shoot up a mcdonalds for selling secret obama sauce on its big macs
Kismet: didn't see you in GQ homey
BadSkeelz: Whatever you say, Kim Jong Boog
Quote from: Tuannon
There is only one boog.

Quote from: Titania on January 17, 2012, 05:50:46 PM
I hate how leadership PCs tend to rely on their NPCs. They have PC minions of the same rank but take the NPCs to the secret meetings because NPCs are 100% loyal.

I played in a clan three or four years ago where all the available PCs of two organzations got to do guard shtick a super-sekrit meeting.

It was perhaps the most boring RPT I've ever been a part of. I haven't taken anyone to a meeting where they weren't guaranteed some form of interaction since.

Generally, we discourage leader PCs from making minion PCs do "guard duty" which entails them standing next to the table where the sekret meeting is happening, without the listen skill. That is a ticket to pure boredom. WWYD's example precisely illustrates. This is also why the vast majority of clans don't hire PCs to be bodyguards; by definition, bodyguard is one of the most potentially boring roles in the game.
Quote from: Decameron on September 16, 2010, 04:47:50 PM
Character: "I've been working on building a new barracks for some tim-"
NPC: "Yeah, that fell through, sucks but YOUR HOUSE IS ON FIREEE!! FIRE-KANKS!!"

January 17, 2012, 10:49:11 PM #37 Last Edit: January 17, 2012, 10:56:23 PM by Kastion
Dont need the listen skill... hope that isnt too sekrit

edit: Last time I was on personal guard duty was to a house family member, i literally stood next to his table and I heard cool sekrit stuff and it was fun. I didnt have the listen skill.
Love's the only war worth dying for.
Build me up to knock me down, I'm all yours.

Quote from: Talia on January 17, 2012, 10:47:07 PM

Generally, we discourage leader PCs from making minion PCs do "guard duty" which entails them standing next to the table where the sekret meeting is happening, without the listen skill.

The last time I was playing a leaderguy, I'd grab one of my more promising underlings and bring him to the meeting and tell him to keep his mouth shut - then, post-meeting, quiz him to see if he was smart or not. (And to get a second opinion on stuff/things/etc.)

Generally, we discourage leader PCs from making minion PCs do "guard duty" which entails them standing next to the table where the sekret meeting is happening, without the listen skill. That is a ticket to pure boredom. WWYD's example precisely illustrates. This is also why the vast majority of clans don't hire PCs to be bodyguards; by definition, bodyguard is one of the most potentially boring roles in the game.

Don't you automatically overhear whats being said at a table if you're following someone seated there?

I don't think I would have developed such an interest in the game if in my first long-lasting role the Lady Tor hadn't taken me along to those sekrit meetings with magickers.

Quote from: hyzhenhok on January 17, 2012, 11:09:09 PM

Don't you automatically overhear whats being said at a table if you're following someone seated there?

I don't think I would have developed such an interest in the game if in my first long-lasting role the Lady Tor hadn't taken me along to those sekrit meetings with magickers.

Listen was enhanced a few years ago exactly for this reason - to give bodyguards without the skill a chance to overhear things if they were standing by their charge's table.  Before that change, it was impossible to overhear things without the skill, and bodyguard duty was much more silent and boring.  For my part, I don't discourage PC guard duty.
"It is pleasant, when the sea is high and the winds are dashing the waves about, to watch from the shores the struggles of another." - Lucretius

Fuck guard duty, seriously.  Y'all nobles aren't half as interesting and/or witty as you think you are.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

Well I like to go to the meetings. I like to know things and have the option to pull a betrayal or leak information and so on.

If you think standing guard duty is boring during a private sikrit meeting. Try to stay hidden in that room, eavesdropping on that meeting. Now 'that' is boring.

Quote from: Dar on January 18, 2012, 12:28:04 AM
If you think standing guard duty is boring during a private sikrit meeting. Try to stay hidden in that room, eavesdropping on that meeting. Now 'that' is boring.

Truth.
"The church bell tollin', the hearse come driving slow
I hope my baby, don't leave me no more
Oh tell me baby, when are you coming back home?"

--Howlin' Wolf

You do realize that often, those 'sekrit' meetings are just as mundane and redundant as having you stand in there listening to the mundane redundancy, right?  Half of the political plotting in this game, if not more, is people thinking they have ideas that aren't, or people coyly engaging in inane socializing in efforts to build allies.

Sorry, but when I play a leader?  I'd feel -wretched- for bringing a PC to those, even if they told me they'd just idle through it.  Go spend some time on your own.

RAT from the above:  Schedules enhance people's ability to meet up with each other in a clan, and train endlessly, but I -really- hate how it detracts from minions plotting against each other and finding other creative ways of helping out their clan.  Vigorous enforcement of the schedule is dumb.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

Quote from: Armaddict on January 18, 2012, 05:13:29 AM

You do realize that often, those 'sekrit' meetings are just as mundane and redundant as having you stand in there listening to the mundane redundancy, right?  Half of the political plotting in this game, if not more, is people thinking they have ideas that aren't, or people coyly engaging in inane socializing in efforts to build allies.

Sorry, but when I play a leader?  I'd feel -wretched- for bringing a PC to those, even if they told me they'd just idle through it.  Go spend some time on your own.

RAT from the above:  Schedules enhance people's ability to meet up with each other in a clan, and train endlessly, but I -really- hate how it detracts from minions plotting against each other and finding other creative ways of helping out their clan.  Vigorous enforcement of the schedule is dumb.

It really works in the Byn.
"The church bell tollin', the hearse come driving slow
I hope my baby, don't leave me no more
Oh tell me baby, when are you coming back home?"

--Howlin' Wolf

Someone says, OOC: Can you guy unlock the door and let me out? You are boring as fuck, so I'm gonna log.
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

Quote from: FantasyWriter on January 18, 2012, 06:27:22 AM
Someone says, OOC: Can you guy unlock the door and let me out? You are boring as fuck, so I'm gonna log.

I've had to do this, in different words, of course.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

Quote from: Armaddict on January 18, 2012, 05:13:29 AMYou do realize that often, those 'sekrit' meetings are just as mundane and redundant as having you stand in there listening to the mundane redundancy, right?  Half of the political plotting in this game, if not more, is people thinking they have ideas that aren't, or people coyly engaging in inane socializing in efforts to build allies.

God, yes. Not to cut on people's attempts to plot, but... god. Yes.

What's worse is when they try to drag you into their inane "politics". Thanks for involving me in your plot, guys, but look me up when you've left high school.

I know this makes me sound like a bitch. Sorry, but it's the way I feel. Maybe I'm just ruined from having played a heavily political PC for a couple years. :-[