Entertaining the Minions

Started by Intrepid, September 26, 2011, 04:32:13 PM

The best played (and longest lasting) leadership PC's I've been around didn't spend any particularly large amount of time looking
after the needs of their underlings - they chased their own personal/faction plots/goals and played their character.

If you were in - you came along for the ride.
Anonymous:  I don't get why magickers are so amazingly powerful in Arm.

Anonymous:  I mean... the concept of making one class completely dominating, and able to crush any other class after 5 days of power-playing, seems ridiculous to me.

Quote from: Down Under on January 18, 2012, 02:56:15 PM
Quote from: Incognito on January 18, 2012, 02:47:25 PM
Your best bet to keep your minions entertained, while in a leadership role:

Right off the bat - while recruiting your minions - give them your IC welcome speech, then the OOC welcome speech to the clan, then:

OOC: Hi, I just wanted to let you know that I am going to be trying my best to keep your PC involved in clan activities - however, please understand that I too am a player like you, and cannot possibly keep plots going in-game AND try and keep all the PCs in the clan busy all the time. Thanks for your understanding.

BOOM

I think the important thing to realize, when you play Leadership roles, is you cannot please everyone. Minions that require that kind of welcome speech are probably going to be bored / pissed you aren't around, even if you are playing 6 hours a day. It will never be enough for them, and they will move on to another clan to be bored with.

Leaders just need to lead by example, throw some awesome virtual hangouts/kill sessions (RPT's), and generally 'be around'.

Um... This is not always true. The Byn? Yes. Most always the 'leader' of that group is someone who is paid to take his company out to PK and murder shit.
A southern or northern noble? You don't need to say this. People you decide to hire and get involved with, should know, it is up to them to involve themselves in RP. It is up for you as a leader to A.) Provide the OPPORTUNITY for something to develop for them and B.) To find a smooth way to make your position unique, and keep them wanting to be loyal to you, but enjoying it. And, if you care, C.) Is keeping them protected on the side.

But mainly, I think a leader actually does sacrifice a lot. Your job is to build the incentive and opportunity to progress roleplay and storylines you may not even have your own hand in. That's why your a leader. The staff have seen you demonstrate your ability to enrich the world and provide excitement for the people around you. This does not mean you are always sucking and let your minion roam free. But your PC minions should know that you are there for their benefit, and you are choosing to include them in something potentially rad they will not find elsewhere, but that day to day, the game has not changed and they still must drive their own incentives. <----- Someone smack me if I have this perception wrong.

I don't think that perception is necessarily wrong, but I think it will lead to burn out quickly. Treating yourself like a vending machine will lead to burn out, and setting the precedent to your minions that you have a question mark over your head sets the bar high. When you don't have quests for them to do, they'll complain and generally make you feel guilty for not entertaining them. I think finding a happy balance between Plot Bestower and Real Ass PC with Desires and Vices will lead to Happy Times.

I would agree that there is a vast difference between Byn Sergeant and GMH Agent and Northern / Southern Noble and Templar. The biggest difference is Byn Sergeants are expected to move plots / contracts forward with very little Staff assistance on a day to day basis. They are Atlas, and one hopes they do not shrug.

The majority of GMH plots are without Staff assistance, on a day to day basis, though they have to juggle master crafts and general orders, as well as minions who handle most of the general ordering, and their plots/drama.

The majority of Noble plots, in my experience, involve Staff. Whether you are trying to build a new Arena, or build a Statue, or Destroy Enemy X, you have to involve both a lot of PC's and Staff. You have to find the artisans, or pay the Virtual Ones. You have to get House Nenyuk or Kassigarh on board as the financiers. You have to get House Tenneshi on board to supply water for the workers. The more Houses you get involved, the tricker it gets, but the more realistic it is, and you'll usually get a better response from Staff. In this sense, yes, Nobility is a Sponsored Role that requires IMO the most patience and dedication. Most of your plots are not self-reliant, and rely instead on your rapport with Staff, willingness to compromise, and patience above all.

Templars I think are closest to Byn Sergeant, oddly enough. When they do need Staff assistance, they will ask for it in reports or wishes, but otherwise, they have the power to do as they please on a day to day basis, and are expected to keep the ball rolling themselves for the most part.
"The church bell tollin', the hearse come driving slow
I hope my baby, don't leave me no more
Oh tell me baby, when are you coming back home?"

--Howlin' Wolf

GMH's have alot of staff interaction actualy. And the staff are pretty awesome, IMHO.

But Most of the plots a Noble can do, so can a Leader of a GMH, if they know what to do, and have some backup in the political rings.

Some things take more work though, like the Statue or Arena. But can be done. I'm 100% on this.

One of the best little pieces of advice I can give is to take a time out. I'm not saying leave the game for a long time. But take a time out of work, in game. If you are a leader, you can do it. It helps to get away with all the hundreds of minor things that pop up day to rl day.

And GMH leaders feel this pressure more, what with order,s master crafts, and minions. So take a break In game!

Or a day off rl, that helps too.
I remember recruiting this Half elf girl. And IMMEDIATELY taking her out on a contract. Right as we go into this gith hole I tell her "Remember your training, and you'll be fine." and she goes "I have no training." Then she died

Cultivate your minions.  They are your source of strength.

Be fruitful, and shape the world.

Play the game.

Do not die.

Just coming off a discussion of noblesse oblige on Facebook:

In dealing with a medieval-ish world, upper-class people, who really are better than the common folks, will not generally think of them as competitors unless they continually assert themselves as such. Those who assert equality will be ruthlessly put down, not as personal competitors, but as threats to social stability and the status quo.

Because of access to literacy, middle and upper class characters are more likely to take long-term approaches to problems. For them, historical, political, and family continuity are the bedrock from which they spring. These long-term factors should guide their actions. They know history, and know that things that are happening now have happened before. A merchant competing with GMH Sal'Kadirac is nothing new, and the House can afford to wait three years in a plot to take the independent down or co-opt their efforts.

At the individual level, this may mean that many employees are used, rather than "brought on board" with the plan. Plots should be multifaceted, with short- and long-term goals. Employees should be trained and tested over the course of years, not months. Yes, this is a challenge when the average character lasts about two weeks RL. That is, in some ways, one of the greatest challenges of leadership.

To that end, one of the greatest pieces of advice I have heard is "develop your support staff." Make sure that your aides are loyal, but know their place as well. Make them proud, and when you find that they are associating with the truly wrong people, well...

This desire to train and test your employees is a source for plots. Yes, to some extent, you are sifting for gold. Delegate enough authority, and then find out how they use it. Give them problems that can be solved, and let them run with them. Give them deadlines:

"Within a month, we need to have the trade route secure and the gith beaten back. Here is some starter-money. If you need more, find it. If you need to take losses, make certain that they come from the soldiers who have been here less than a year."

"I need a gith-skin coat as a gift for my old frenemy, Al'Bundi of House Tennesail. He will be required to wear it at the inter-House party, or be accused of insulting us."

Loyalty, more than coded power, becomes a key component for the long-term leader. Loyalty is rewarded, not just cash-for-kills. If you want cash-for-kills, hire the Byn. They understand that kind of thing.
"I have seen him show most of the attributes one expects of a noble: courtesy, kindness, and honor.  I would also say he is one of the most bloodthirsty bastards I have ever met."