Homosexuality

Started by Intrepid237, May 12, 2011, 07:45:33 PM

I ran into a pretty awkward RP a few weeks ago. I'm not going to give any details at all but it pretty much involved homosexual contact between two men while my character was in the room. I didn't know how to respond at all so I pretty much RP'ed sitting there in silence and then left in the middle.

So my question is pretty much this, how should I respond to homosexuality? I don't want the "However your character would" response cause that's a given. I mean, how would the average joe respond to homosexuality?  ???

In general, the same as towards heterosexual contact.

Homosexuality is not in any way taboo on Zalanthas. There is no reason why your pc should have any particular reaction at all. Your pc probably could care less that they were both men, unless your background specifically accounts for why they are out of step with the rest of the world. It should be a non-issue.
Varak:You tell the mangy, pointy-eared gortok, in sirihish: "What, girl? You say the sorceror-king has fallen down the well?"
Ghardoan:A pitiful voice rises from the well below, "I've fallen and I can't get up..."

May 12, 2011, 08:11:41 PM #3 Last Edit: May 12, 2011, 08:15:56 PM by Bilanthri
It can be difficult in situations like this, where something that is acceptable in the game world, none the less, makes the player uncomfortable. I generally think that any sexual contact should be preceded by a consent request. Now, holding hands, kissing, or casual signs of affection are pretty standard fare, even if some people are bothered by the occasional PDA. However, regardless of the gender mix, if things are getting even a bit hot and heavy, the polite thing to do is:

ooc I'm about to whip it out...consent?

Edit: Suddenly remembering something about a kruth game, a bet, and a lucky piece of fruit.

Oh yea, and how to respond?
"Hey! Grebber! Get a room."
"Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry."
- Samuel Clemens

Yeah. I would totally make a feminine dude character, or even some ballsy, gritty dude that liked to stick it in other dudes' butts, BUT... I'm always afraid OOC prejudice overrides IC reaction in this game, so I've never done it.

That being said, it is correct that Zalanthians have no problem with homosexuality. Now, if it's a human man and an elf man ...
Case: he's more likely to shoot up a mcdonalds for selling secret obama sauce on its big macs
Kismet: didn't see you in GQ homey
BadSkeelz: Whatever you say, Kim Jong Boog
Quote from: Tuannon
There is only one boog.

Just because, every pc I've ever made was bisexual or homosexual. Unfortunately I was never able to find a homosexual MALE partner beside the very, very fem-type pc's. No rugged merc types every wanted any lurvings. I found it disappointing.
A staff member sends you:
"Normally we don't see a <redacted> walk into a room full of <redacted> and start indiscriminately killing."

You send to staff:
"Welcome to Armageddon."

Nearly every PC I make, male or female, has absolutely no qualms about taking it or throwing it wherever, in order to get ahead in life. Pun unintended, but happy accident.

I deathly straight IRL, but my male PCs don't need to be like that, especially if letting that Tor Noble rail his rear gets him a solid spot in the Academy. And if you're that uncomfortable, fade it out.
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

John Doe wouldn't really care about the subject matter itself.

However, he might not take kindly to seeing two people kank next to him on the bar, or on the floor outside his apartment, or what have you. Or, he might want to join it. Depends on your character and their upbringing.

I've actually wondered, a few times - what if, hypothetically, a character existed that was squicked out by, or outright prejudiced against openly gay characters? In a completely IC context. They're mad because of squick rather than an institutionalized prejudice. I wonder if such a situation would require consent? I mean, it's a fairly touchy issue OOC for some people.

That said, despite being a gay dude (in a mellow way) I find myself playing, by and large, asexual (or purely romantic) women. Simply out of habit, since it's what I always do. Kanking women then becomes gross, and kanking men just becomes squick/underhanded, even if it's purely IC. Unless there's fading, I'll just pass on that part of character development. :-X

Quote from: Bilanthri on May 12, 2011, 08:11:41 PMSuddenly remembering something about a kruth game, a bet, and a lucky piece of fruit.

Fruit Love?

Quote from: Furien on May 13, 2011, 01:08:33 AM
I've actually wondered, a few times - what if, hypothetically, a character existed that was squicked out by, or outright prejudiced against openly gay characters? In a completely IC context. They're mad because of squick rather than an institutionalized prejudice. I wonder if such a situation would require consent? I mean, it's a fairly touchy issue OOC for some people.

I don't think you can have this in an IC context. If it was a squick then you'd probably want to have it in your background, and I can't see staff approving that. It's too close to a documentation violation and, as you say, it's an OOC sensitive issue. If, instead, all sexual contact between anyone made the PC uncomfortable, this would be a lot more viable.
As of February 2017, I no longer play Armageddon.

Rather than wonder how your PC would respond to homosexuality, you could ask how your PC would respond to public displays of affection between anyone. This seems to be a bit more appropriate given the OP's posted scenario.

So really, it's not that it's two men nuzzling and smooching and being all lovey dovey with each other at the bar. It's two -people- are nuzzling and smooching and being all lovey dovey at the bar. The only time it would be more significant, is if it were maybe, an elf and a breed. Or a human and an elf. Or a dwarf and a breed. Or an elf and a half-giant. Or a rinthi and a Tuluki noble. Or a southern templar and a Kadian aide.

The gender thing isn't given as much emphasis in Arm as other socio-political and inter-racial/interspecial issues.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

I tried to look at the main site to find the glaringly obvious help file or document that explicitly outlined the general guidelines on sexuality but my plan was thwarted because there don't seem to be any of those.

Am I missing something, or should we write up and submit a document on sexuality?

Document rough draft:
Sex gets you everywhere in Zalanthas. Boy on boy, girl on boy, boy on matis, girl on mul - it'll getcha places. Just don't ever fuck an elf though, unless you're another elf!
Case: he's more likely to shoot up a mcdonalds for selling secret obama sauce on its big macs
There is only one boog.

http://armageddon.org/intro/quickstart.html

Avoid imposing your own interpretations and norms on the game world. For example, there is no sexism on Zalanthas; women and men are treated equally. This means that the following would not happen in Armageddon: a man expressing shame at being beaten sparring by a woman; someone referring to women as needing protection or coddling; a woman being shamed for sexual promiscuity while a man is praised for it. Attitudes towards sexuality are broad. Homosexuality is common, and not seen as aberrant. Multiple sex partners are common among Zalanthans, particularly in the upper classes. If you intend to roleplay out adult scenes, please make sure you are aware of our consent rules.
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

Quote from: mansa on May 13, 2011, 10:04:47 PM
http://armageddon.org/intro/quickstart.html

Avoid imposing your own interpretations and norms on the game world. For example, there is no sexism on Zalanthas; women and men are treated equally. This means that the following would not happen in Armageddon: a man expressing shame at being beaten sparring by a woman; someone referring to women as needing protection or coddling; a woman being shamed for sexual promiscuity while a man is praised for it. Attitudes towards sexuality are broad. Homosexuality is common, and not seen as aberrant. Multiple sex partners are common among Zalanthans, particularly in the upper classes. If you intend to roleplay out adult scenes, please make sure you are aware of our consent rules.

I knew it was somewhere, you genius hipster you.
There is only one boog.

Please also note that calling somebody a woman, as an insult, is definitely NOT kosher.

You're such a girl, Saellyn.
Rickey's Law: People don't want "A story". They want their story.

As a side note, if you wish to insult someone, one interesting way is to make casual reference to their elf/human-like qualities. (Depending on which race you're with. Dwarves can get away with either.)

Quote from: Kalai on May 14, 2011, 09:38:19 AM
As a side note, if you wish to insult someone, one interesting way is to make casual reference to their elf/human-like qualities. (Depending on which race you're with. Dwarves can get away with either.)

Gosh, Kalai, you're such a -BREED-

Quote from: Saellyn on May 14, 2011, 09:40:34 AM
Quote from: Kalai on May 14, 2011, 09:38:19 AM

Gosh, Kalai, you're such a -BREED-

Ah, Saellyn, my weak-legged little roundear, you have much to learn.

Calling someone a girl or a boy as an insult I think refers more to their immaturity and age. I do agree using woman as an insult is not kosher, both IRL and in the game :)
"You will have useful work: the destruction of evil men. What work could be more useful? This is Beyond; you will find that your work is never done -- So therefore you may never know a life of peace."

~Jack Vance~

Quote from: Fathi on March 08, 2018, 06:40:45 PMAnd then I sat there going "really? that was it? that's so stupid."

I still think the best closure you get in Armageddon is just moving on to the next character.

Quote from: Reiloth on May 15, 2011, 02:39:55 PM
Calling someone a girl or a boy as an insult I think refers more to their immaturity and age. I do agree using woman as an insult is not kosher, both IRL and in the game :)

Much like IRL, there are very strong, very dangerous women in Arm that can and WILL kick your ass, see?

Quote from: Saellyn on May 15, 2011, 04:08:31 PM

Much like IRL, there are very strong, very dangerous women in Arm that can and WILL kick your ass, see?
Keep fantasizing.  :P
Quote from: Fathi on March 08, 2018, 06:40:45 PMAnd then I sat there going "really? that was it? that's so stupid."

I still think the best closure you get in Armageddon is just moving on to the next character.

Quote from: Is Friday on May 15, 2011, 04:11:55 PM
Quote from: Saellyn on May 15, 2011, 04:08:31 PM

Keep fantasizing.  :P

You mean your wife can't kick your ass? Hmmmmmmmmm.
There is only one boog.