Death Experiences - Lack of ANY Roleplay?

Started by AreteX, October 18, 2010, 05:34:56 AM

October 18, 2010, 05:34:56 AM Last Edit: October 18, 2010, 06:01:34 AM by AreteX
Meh, the title sums it up, and the response I got sobered me a bit I guess.

So I'm just editing the post, nothing good can come of it.

October 18, 2010, 05:45:44 AM #1 Last Edit: October 18, 2010, 05:51:21 AM by lordcooper
Roll up another :D

In all honesty though I can say that out of three dead characters, one died in a similar way.
It may be worth filing a player complaint, it may not.  Just don't let one twink stop you from playing.

I do think that this lack of rp may well be because they don't trust other players to allow themselves to remain in these kinds of situations.  The fear works both ways.
Besides, if I was gonna backstab someone IRL, I damn well wouldn't emote beforehand.

EDIT:  ANd they may have been emoting like mad until you entered the room, or even hemoting with you in there.  If you feel hard done by, file a complaint.  Staff can see all the facts, we can only flame...
Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

Quote from: Delirium on August 04, 2014, 10:11:38 AM
fuck authority smoke weed erryday

oh and here's a free videogame.

October 18, 2010, 05:51:54 AM #2 Last Edit: October 18, 2010, 06:01:55 AM by AreteX
See Above.

[quote author=lordcooper link=topic=39874.msg561165#msg561165 date=1287395144
EDIT:  ANd they may have been emoting like mad until you entered the room, or even hemoting with you in there.  If you feel hard done by, file a complaint.  Staff can see all the facts, we can only flame...
[/quote]

I saw the person enter the room.

As long as the delay is for backstab, was the time between entering and backstabbing.

Then I died a few attacks later.

It was about 6seconds in total, and lame as all hell.

I'm not sure reporting a player is the way to go about it, but if its justified then maybe I should?  I'm not the best player myself anyways, but I would never kill someone like that, UNLESS we had a relationship, in which threats ect were made.... but just a random person?

Be disappointed only when your long-lived PC is wtf-pwned by NPC guards who have no conscious.

Otherwise, try to enjoy everything to the best of your ability.
Quote from: LauraMars
Quote from: brytta.leofaLaura, did weird tribal men follow you around at age 15?
If by weird tribal men you mean Christians then yes.

Quote from: Malifaxis
She was teabagging me.

My own mother.

This sounds like Rinthitis. I don't know if the OP is a new or old player, but if you're new, avoid making a PC in the Labyrinth for precisely this reason.

Sure, I think deaths like this are unfair, and I don't know what possesses players to kill peoples PCs like this, but there's little you can do aside from make a player complaint (which I think would be worthwhile in this situation).

I think coming to terms with these type of deaths is a sign of "game maturity." I've had it happen a several times. I haved also got
really good characters killed off by my own foolishness.  The best response is draw up new character and keep having fun.  I'd report it.
It can't hurt, the other player might be a twink and needs some staff assistance.
I'd rather be lucky than good.

It's completely legitimate to die with no roleplay. Some people are murderers, rapists, and all-around dark. Some people you do NOT want to run into in a dark alley. Even if you weren't in the 'rinth people will do this. I don't totally agree with it but when your food source comes from raiding or killing I guess you have to take all the advantages you can get. There could also have been circumstances unknown to you. Maybe the guy was being tested for a position as an assassin or something and his boss told him to kill you as a test and to do it without being seen and/or heard etc. So like others have said make a new character and keep truckin' forward. Join a clan.

Wrong. It is completely illegitimate to be PKed without roleplay. If you kill someone without roleplay, expect to be reprimanded. Now, being killed without a "scene" or emoting is entirely different; while this is legitimate, it is also unfortunate. PKing without emoting is a sign of mistrust of fellow players... but given what the majority of the pbase would do in similar situations, can you blame people for shooting first and asking questions later?
A dark-shelled scrab pinches at you, but you dodge out of the way.
A dark-shelled scrab brandishes its bone-handled, obsidian scimitar.
A dark-shelled scrab holds its bloodied wicked-edged, bone scimitar.

October 18, 2010, 08:41:24 AM #9 Last Edit: October 18, 2010, 08:43:13 AM by AreteX
Well, the reason it upsets me so greatly is because if the person has emoted.

"Amos walks up and places a dagger to your back, "Don't move, else I stab you."

I would sit there, not moving, and ask "What do you want?"

They could of robbed me blind, taken everything, left me naked for all I care.

Or... they could of said, "Don't move, because if you do, you won't live these precious seconds I'm giving you."

And you know what?  I would of SAT THERE still.  I would of roleplayed out getting stabbed in the back and dying, and I wouldnt of been on the boards complaining at all.  But, seeing someone Enter, not even having a chance to look, or REACT at all to the person, and being stabbed in the back for 70hp is not fun.  Its a character who has TRAINED backstab to a high-level to do that much damage.  They have a good dagger, good equipment ect.  This is a person playing the game for a while, or twinking himself.

Nobody reacts to someone entering the room with a proper emote in the 2second time period it takes to backstab, I just barely registered someone walked into the room.  This is just bad in my opinion.

Shrug, I've rolled another character and I'll keep rolling them, but honestly, this really pissed me off.  Maybe because its the first time something like this has happened to me, and I've died plenty, and been killed a few times by other players.

And if it was an assassin trying to get some fancy club membership, then I hope the RP that spawned from my gruesome death really is awesome, but I doubt thats the case.

EDIT:  I had never seen this character before, and have had no interaction with them.  This wasn't a revenge act, or anything like that justified with previous roleplay, this was just a PKILL.

If you feel it was just a PK, then by all means send a complaint. That's the ONLY thing that will get the staff to look into the matter and determine whether or not it was a PK, and to take measures to discipline the PKer, if appropriate.

The only thing that posting about it does here, is a) tell everyone who might have guessed who you play, or knows who you play, that your character is dead. and b) informs whoever killed your character, that you think they suck.

Neither is productive.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

I don't know if NPCs often backstab, but there are times at which the difference between an aggressive (demi)human NPC and an overly quiet aggressive player can blur. Would easily explain a lack of delays in commands. Generally speaking if it's the choice between getting killed by an overly quiet player or a cool NPC, I'll be happier concluding it was a cool NPC. True or not...  it's reassuring to think that way.

October 18, 2010, 10:24:27 AM #12 Last Edit: October 18, 2010, 07:33:00 PM by Nana
Wish there was a filter for board posts like this somehow.

You should just file a player complaint -- after all, you have a player complaint. (EDIT: You won't get shit for it, of course.) That's what the tool is for, so use it. You got nothing to lose, and the Imms won't punish you if they disagree -- they'll just let it go.

EDIT: Yeah, I actually agree with people downstream of me -- this is arma, and that's the rinth for you.. get used to it.

Do two things. Do them both.

(1) Don't play like the guy who PKed you. Be the change.
(2) Learn to beat people like the guy who PKed you. Play Armageddon like the population contains a substantial number of homicidal muggers, 'cause, well, it does.

A lot of the wannabe PKers are pretty easy to elude if you're calm and quick.
The sword is sharp, the spear is long,
The arrow swift, the Gate is strong.
The heart is bold that looks on gold;
The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.

Quote from: brytta.leofa on October 18, 2010, 10:51:09 AM

(2) Learn to beat people like the guy who PKed you. Play Armageddon like the population contains a substantial number of homicidal muggers, 'cause, well, it does.

Quoted for truth. Though staying calm in life or death combat is definitely a learned skill (and I still get the shakes sometimes).

This always conflicts me when I get PK'ed. I like everyone here but I hate them because they kill my peoples. And I don't know which one of you is the one thats being mean so I can't trust anyone. ;-;
"Brain wave, main wave"
Psycho got a high kick
Collect and select
Show me your best set

Quote from: Reiteration on October 18, 2010, 10:59:19 AM
This always conflicts me when I get PK'ed. I like everyone here but I hate them because they kill my peoples. And I don't know which one of you is the one thats being mean so I can't trust anyone. ;-;

Aww! You can trust me! *hides the perain tainted dagger behind his back* To emote before killing you!
At your table, the bulky, olive-skinned woman says in sirihish, bluntly:
         "You sound like you're about to orgasm or bein' tickled to death when you talk. Just.. be calm. Breathe."

The flip side to this, is that the killer emotes, and the victim runs like a tregil.

If you actually want to -kill- the PC in question (for whatever reason - including motivations note related to said PC being a specific PC) - then not utilizing the code vastly reduces your chances of success (and in some cases - vastly increase the chances of your own demise). The whole point of a backstab is that it comes by surprise (and many other attacks are also more effective when the victim is surprise).

Armageddon is brutal and harsh. Get over it.

Now if the killler PKs for no RPable reason - that's a different matter, but you as the victim have little or no idea of whether that is the case. A plausible reason for a killer could be that he is playing a psychopath or that he liked your hat. However you should bear in mind that PCs who PK alot, tend not to last long (unless the player is *incredible*) - they end up targeting someone/something that is stronger then them (e.g. an ultra-sekreet magicker cum god-king).

It's completely legitimate play to not give your assassination victim warning before you strike.

I'm pretty sure I understand the player's situation, as I was recently killed randomly on my previous character and though I can't reveal details, I agree that there have been killings with essentially zero emotes, the time it would take them to type out a hemote and then backstab wouldn't fit into the timeframe it took them to enter the room and backstab me back then unless they copied the emote before hand.

This can probably be linked to the new players flying in from the voting blitz that choose to spawn and play guilds like Assassins or PickPockets down in the labyrinth and treat it like any hack and slash bloodbath.

Edit:
While I agree with Moe that you don't really need to give warning. I treat it as a common courtesy to let them know they're going to die.
"Brain wave, main wave"
Psycho got a high kick
Collect and select
Show me your best set

QuoteArmageddon is brutal and harsh. Get over it.

No, Armageddon still isn't Diablo.

While it is permissible to attack players without emotes, it's still bad-form from my point of view. And I hope most of the playerbase feels the same way.

If each and every player would backstab-without-emoting everytime they could, this game wouldn't be worth playing.

It's also why I'll never play make a new character in the labyrinth again.
Now you're looking for the secret. But you won't find it because of course, you're not really looking. You don't really want to work it out. You want to be fooled.

October 18, 2010, 11:46:33 AM #21 Last Edit: October 18, 2010, 11:50:35 AM by Sokotra
Yeah, almost sounds like it was an NPC... but maybe not.  If it isn't, I would agree that it is pretty poor RP, especially when you know you can kill in a few hits.  Especially high damage in a first backstab attack.  I attack quickly on many circumstances because that is what a surprise attack is, but then emote during and after... and that is when I'm not doing much damage or just trying to knock someone out and let them live (mercy on).  I would never purposely just attack and kill in a few hits unless I was an assassin that was paid to do exactly that.  Even then, I would say there are other alternatives.  

Again, I'm wondering if you didn't wander into the wrong place with a "valuable" piece of equipment where the NPCs will jump you immediately for it.  NPCs that would not have attacked you the last time you walked through their turf.  If you found something new or you went shopping and had a new piece of equipment on before this happened, then you might give that some thought.

October 18, 2010, 11:59:52 AM #22 Last Edit: October 19, 2010, 08:58:35 AM by Nyr
I really want to kick many posting here in the head.

[misogynistic post edited by Nyr.  Use your big kid words, please.]
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

Quote from: brytta.leofa on October 18, 2010, 10:51:09 AM

Quoted not only for truth and correctness, but because perfectly rational thoughts like these tend to drown in threads like these.

October 18, 2010, 12:07:08 PM #24 Last Edit: October 19, 2010, 08:59:00 AM by Nyr
Quote from: X-D on October 18, 2010, 11:59:52 AM
I really want to kick many posting here in the head.

[misogynistic post edited by Nyr.  Use your big kid words, please.]

"Brain wave, main wave"
Psycho got a high kick
Collect and select
Show me your best set