Death Experiences - Lack of ANY Roleplay?

Started by AreteX, October 18, 2010, 05:34:56 AM

For the record, I know for a fact there are players who skate around the idea of roleplaying just so they can cover themselves so they can pkill more players. You'll find these types of players at any mud. Their sole goal is to kill players, and if it weren't, they would be playing merchants right now, not maxxed <insert combat guild here> every few months.

It's been my experience, through observation, that any time someone says "I know for a fact," they probably don't know much of anything at all.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

I edited out a Malifaxis-style posting.  Grow up, kids, and use your adult words.
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.

1. Whenever Malifaxis posts anything, eliminate all vulgarities, and replace any vulgar nouns with the word "person" or "people." Malifaxis is a creation of the GDB. Consider it a thing, rather than a person; a particular GDB attribute. Just as Gimfalisette is the "database" and not an actual person, Malifaxis is the "vulgarity" of the GDB and not an actual person. Both will give the same exact opinion sometimes, but each will sound unique.

2. This rp vs. pk argument comes around regularly. The flip side to it, is when the assassin WANTS to roleplay, but the victim logs out or insta-flees or insta-attacks as soon as they see risk. Assassins see this all the time. Scenarios:

a. Assassin, after stalking victim for a few minutes out of the city gate, speaks from the shadows, "Caught you at last, mwahahaha."
Victim, who is a ranger with ranger-quit, logs out. Victim plays WoW for an hour, logs back in, returns to safety, and tells everyone in-game that someone is trying to kill him.
or worse:
b. Victim, who is a ranger with ranger-quit and max scan, LOOKS at the shadow, and THEN quits out, then comes back an hour later and identifies the failed assassin to the templars.
c. Victim immediately flees with absolutely zero RP at all, no time to even type "think oh shit" - just mount run west
d. Victim, who has max-scan, spam-types "kill shadow" until his blade hits something, with no thinks, no talking, no emotes.

The quit incident is a lot more common than you'd think - I've watched it happen several times, when I wasn't even playing an assassin or someone who wanted to kill the target at all.

Unfortunately, it's a vicious cycle. An assassin CANNOT roleplay if he wants to ensure that he'll actually be able to assassinate someone whose player refuses to roleplay in turn. An assassin can't possibly know which one the victim is (the roleplayer or the ranger-quitter) until he tries. And by then, it's too late. So it's a combination of things, and the burden doesn't fall solely on the assassin's shoulders. Roleplay is a two-way game, in Armageddon. If you want assassins to roleplay more, then encourage your fellow victim-players to stop ranger-quitting, stop auto-fleeing, stop spam-attacking shadows with no attempt at "creating the scene."

And, if you feel that your assassin killed you *exclusively* because he could, and for no other reason, then report it to the staff.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

Actually, after reading some other responses and how the OP took them, I'm locking the thread.
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

Also, had Malifaxis posted that, I'd ban him for a week, too.  Act like a complete asshole to people asking legitimate questions and flame them, and you, too, can join the legion of the banned.  There's no excuse for it.  I could see acting like a douchebag to longtime players (how you do it affects how staff responds), but running off at the mouth to someone that has lost a PC, asking for feedback--that's just a dick move.  Don't do it.