Hum... where are you?

Started by Durant, September 12, 2010, 07:16:25 PM

Perhaps those who are wearing enough "humming" equipment and are "hidden" should be more noticable?

I struggle to think of a reason that they should remain perfectly hidden if they are emitting a noticable hum.

Thoughts?

Maybe in order to understand mankind, we have to look at the word itself: "Mankind". Basically, it's made up of two separate words - "mank" and "ind". What do these words mean? It's a mystery, and that's why so is mankind.

Quote from: Recent News08/26/2010: Enough humming items in equip and inventory will be quite noticeable by others -- Tiernan

Thanks for the quote, but that is not what I am talking about.

If the person is hidden, and that person wears humming equipment... they should not be as hidden any longer.
Maybe in order to understand mankind, we have to look at the word itself: "Mankind". Basically, it's made up of two separate words - "mank" and "ind". What do these words mean? It's a mystery, and that's why so is mankind.

Quote from: Durant on September 12, 2010, 07:22:10 PM

If the person is hidden, and that person wears humming equipment... they should not be as hidden any longer.

Consider a cricket.
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

I'm just guessing but...

Based on the helpfile, I would expect somebody with humming things in their inventory would get penalties to stealth, especially versus somebody with the listen skill. It makes intuitive sense: if you have keen hearing, you can do a better job of pinpointing the humming abomination. Maybe it's just one factor among many in the stealth versus anti-stealth skills contest?

Skill Listen      (Perception)

While appearing to do little at all, effective use of this skill in fact begins a time period during which conversations in other rooms may be heard. Conversations at tables can be overheard, and if the skill level is great enough, doors can be listened through.

Syntax:
    listen [on|off|status]

Note:
    Listen has some effect on the detection of stealthy activities that can
    make noise.

Listening takes concentration, and so while in use your maximum stun is
    decreased based on how good you are at listening.

Delay: after

I think the humming thing is stupid, anyway, and I really have to wonder whose panties were in such a wad about it that they decided to go and code that.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

Humming does not affect the -eyes'- ability not to be able to see someone.

If you have the -scan- skill (related to sight) then you might be able to see said hummer.
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

Certainly it would make someone easier to locate if it is noticable.

"You notice a loud hum in the area."

September 12, 2010, 09:40:46 PM #8 Last Edit: September 12, 2010, 09:46:18 PM by Aaron Goulet
Quote from: mansa on September 12, 2010, 08:13:34 PM
Quote from: Durant on September 12, 2010, 07:22:10 PM

Consider a cricket.

It's a lot easier to locate a cricket if you can follow their chirps.  I used to catch crickets for fun back when I lived in North Carolina (there wasn't anything better to do).

When we are talking about a larger entity (such as a humanoid), this would be an even easier task.  I don't think that it should necessarily break hide, but it should inflict a severe penalty to hide, making it easier to scan and locate somebody.  The same should apply to other concealing effects, such as invisibility, but to a much lesser degree.

At least that's my opinion on the matter.  Forcing individuals to choose between stealth and magickal enhancements based on the situation doesn't feel terribly unfair or game-breaking to me.

Edit: Also, a penalty to sneak seems fair as well, since sneak relies on being able to move silently.
Quote from: ZoltanWhen in doubt, play dangerous, awkward or intense situations to the hilt, every time.

The Official GDB Hate Cycle

September 13, 2010, 12:47:07 AM #9 Last Edit: September 13, 2010, 05:52:13 PM by Salt Merchant
EDIT: I give up. Talk about anything in a relevant way, get accused of spilling IC information.

I'll just go sing "la lala la" now.
Lunch makes me happy.

September 13, 2010, 12:51:09 AM #10 Last Edit: September 13, 2010, 05:51:31 PM by Salt Merchant
La lala la.. la lala la.. la la lala la la la la la la. La lala la..
Lunch makes me happy.

Oh lord, more griefing.
The man wears his heavy war-saddle on his back, covering a tattoo

Crawling up on all fours, the man sits on a sturdy bed

The man sends you a telepathic message:
     "Alright, you got to tame a wild one today."

Quote from: Recent News08/26/2010: Enough humming items in equip and inventory will be quite noticeable by others -- Tiernan

The moment that came out, I thought to myself, "What the fuck are humming items?"
Quote from: LauraMars
Quote from: brytta.leofaLaura, did weird tribal men follow you around at age 15?
If by weird tribal men you mean Christians then yes.

Quote from: Malifaxis
She was teabagging me.

My own mother.

<worn on head>           a cheap, blackened horn
<worn on face>           a cheap, blackened horn
<worn in left ear>       a cheap, blackened horn
<worn around neck>       a cheap, blackened horn
<worn about throat>      a cheap, blackened horn
<slung across back>      a cheap, blackened horn
<worn across back>       a cheap, blackened horn
<worn on left shoulder>  a cheap, blackened horn
<worn on arms>           a cheap, blackened horn
<worn around wrist>      a cheap, blackened horn
<worn around wrist>      a cheap, blackened horn
<worn on hands>          a cheap, blackened horn
<worn on forearms>       a cheap, blackened horn
<worn around body>       a red, hooded templar's robe
<worn on legs>           a cheap, blackened horn
<worn on right ankle>    a cheap, blackened horn
<worn on feet>           a cheap, blackened horn
The sword is sharp, the spear is long,
The arrow swift, the Gate is strong.
The heart is bold that looks on gold;
The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.

Quote from: Gunnerblaster on September 13, 2010, 01:47:47 PM

The moment that came out, I thought to myself, "What the fuck are humming items?"

Me too. I even checked a little creature that my character had  :-[

Has anyone made the obligatory oral sex joke yet?

Stuff like this... I think it's better you email staff regarding it. If I had no idea what a humming thing was, now I do.
"And all around is the desert; a corner of the mournful kingdom of sand."
   - Pierre Loti

Quote from: 3kanks on September 13, 2010, 02:20:44 PM

What the!?

I wasn't even thinking about that...

I don't even get it!

What!? ???

Quote from: Jengal on September 13, 2010, 04:25:54 PM

What the!?

I don't even get it!

What!? ???

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=hummer

NSFW

P.S. You just ejected yourself from everyone's short-list of female Armageddon players they'd like to date.

Quote from: Synthesis on September 13, 2010, 06:24:37 PM
Quote from: Jengal on September 13, 2010, 04:25:54 PM

What the!?

I don't even get it!

What!? ???

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=hummer

NSFW

P.S. You just ejected yourself from everyone's short-list of female Armageddon players they'd like to date.

haha
"You will have useful work: the destruction of evil men. What work could be more useful? This is Beyond; you will find that your work is never done -- So therefore you may never know a life of peace."

~Jack Vance~

Quote from: Synthesis on September 12, 2010, 08:55:55 PM
I think the humming thing is stupid, anyway, and I really have to wonder whose panties were in such a wad about it that they decided to go and code that.

Likely because some players have their characters always seek out whatever this is regardless of who they say they are trying to portray.  Its a kick in the nuts to meta gaming.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++1!

I hope I was never on that female list   >:(

Since I am not one.

Quote from: Jengal on September 14, 2010, 01:07:19 PM
I hope I was never on that female list   >:(

Since I am not one.

Oh. I always assume liberal use of emoticons = female.

In that case, you're definitely off the gay crush list, man.

I could forgive a female for not knowing what a hummer is more than a male not knowing what it is.

How could this not be on your "sex acts I'd like to have done to me/participate in/watch in person" list?

On topic, I think this is a good way to balance the power of said hummers.
Evolution ends when stupidity is no longer fatal."

Armageddon started off as a hack and slash game in the early 90s, and has retained elements of its Diku code to this day.  In the case of humming sTufF, it is now treated as an IC phenomena, while other diku holdovers like lagless npc attacks have been relegated to the basement of h&s code relics.  Funny how things evolve like that.

Of course, I wasn't here in the early 90s, so I can't say that humming and glowing ~*~*~things~*~*~ were originally part of the code.  But they do remind me of vintage diku.
Child, child, if you come to this doomed house, what is to save you?

A voice whispers, "Read the tales upon the walls."