Elves and Wagons

Started by Reiloth, September 10, 2010, 07:42:10 PM

I still think it's fine the c-elves can't ride.

IRL, culture/taboo isn't always practical.

Races/culture in Armageddon aren't all meant to be "balanced".

If the inability to efficiently travel would make the game un-fun for you, don't play a city elf.  I'd also shy away from noble house aides and 'rinthers in general, as they tend to be largely city-bound as well.

The Skimmer thing REALLY needs to be looked at a bit longer.

I'm all for walking/running beside the wagon though.

I like the consistency of it. I'm not sure how much it detracts from playability, but I think maybe playability could be fixed (if it needs to be) without changing the policy.
So if you're tired of the same old story
Oh, turn some pages. - "Roll with the Changes," REO Speedwagon

Except most elves probably aren't stupid/proud enough to think they can run across the Silt Sea.
All the world will be your enemy. When they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

Where's the sense of pride in trying to run across a surface that you most certainly cannot. Using the same logic, an elf would never board a flying machine.
"Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry."
- Samuel Clemens

Why would you want to be on something you can't control, over a semi-liquid that you can't escape, and with no clear benefit of doing any such thing?

If I were an elf, I wouldn't want to do that.
You lift ~ with all your strength.
A long length of bone doesn't move.

None of my PCs, of any race have been willing to get on a skimmer.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

Thank goodness stars are not visible.  If there was ever an elven astronomer, the entire species would become unhinged upon realizing they are standing on a massive rock MOVING through space.  Only the whirans would survive with their dignity intact.

Of course, the non-whirans would still have too much pride to admit that they couldn't fly and so they would jump off cliffs to show off their pride in their flying.  As they lay shattered and dying at the bottom of the shield wall, their last words would be, "I'm so proud of my flying."
Quote from: Synthesis
Quote from: lordcooper
You go south and one of the other directions that isn't north.  That is seriously the limit of my geographical knowledge of Arm.
Sarge?

Quote from: Sam on September 11, 2010, 09:15:50 PM
Why would you want to be on something you can't control, over a semi-liquid that you can't escape, and with no clear benefit of doing any such thing?

If I were an elf, I wouldn't want to do that.

Ahh....now that's a different motive all together. Pride is one thing, but common sense and survival are certainly prime motivators for avoiding skimmers.

"Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry."
- Samuel Clemens

Quote from: Thunkkin on September 11, 2010, 10:23:52 PM
Thank goodness stars are not visible.  If there was ever an elven astronomer, the entire species would become unhinged upon realizing they are standing on a massive rock MOVING through space. 

Sig'd.
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

Quote from: Sam on September 11, 2010, 09:15:50 PM

If I were anelf half-giant, human, dwarf or half-elf, I wouldn't want to do that.

That's a ridiculous reason.
The man wears his heavy war-saddle on his back, covering a tattoo

Crawling up on all fours, the man sits on a sturdy bed

The man sends you a telepathic message:
     "Alright, you got to tame a wild one today."

No wagons? Sure.

No mounts? Whatever.

But come on, at least give elves skimmers, yeah?

Give Stormer elves -something- to fucking do, 'cause nine times out of ten, they're sure as shit not leeching off the usually non-existent playerbase there.

Quote from: HavokBlue on September 11, 2010, 08:46:22 PM
Except most elves probably aren't stupid/proud enough to think they can run across the Silt Sea.

This bears repeating.

If you want to sail the silt sea... don't play an elf?

Quote from: Marauder Moe on September 12, 2010, 02:13:04 AM
If you want to sail the silt sea... don't play an elf?

Or, just admit that the silt sea and solid ground are not, nor will they ever be, the same thing.

It's still a vehicle, the skimmers.  Elves don't intentionally ride anything.
"I am a cipher, wrapped in an enigma, smothered in secret sauce."
- Jimmy James, the man so great they had to name him twice

Quote from: Marshmellow on September 12, 2010, 03:14:54 AM
It's still a vehicle, the skimmers.  Elves don't intentionally ride anything.

Show me in the documentation where it says elves are opposed to riding a silt skimmer. I'm telling you now, it's not there.

Roleplaying:
  Descended from (or currently a member of) any one of the many desert
tribes, all elves have a cultural bent towards wandering and thievery.
Among elves, theft that relies on wit or nimble fingers is not a crime,
per se, but more of a test of courage. Highly distrustful of all persons
outside their immediate tribe, elves will often go to great lengths to
test the trustworthiness of any companion. Due to their nature as
runners, all elves find the riding of mounts (and usually, riding in
wagons) to be an extremely shameful act--though a few can forgive the
riding habits of other races. In other words, elves will never ride on
mounts or in wagons
, as to do so would be to insult one of the few
things they are proud of: their natural speed and endurance on the run.

First, I'd like to point out a glaring inconsistency in the aforementioned doc:

In the previous sentence, I highlighted "usually", because that implies that sometimes, an elf -might- ride in a wagon. Contrasting this statement is the following sentence, which uses "never." That should be fixed, one way or the other.

Second, I see no mentioning of silt skimmers. Furthermore, the last sentence mentions an elf's pride in reference to their "natural speed and endurance on the run." Last I checked, one cannot run along the surface of the silt. It is, in regards to the documentation, not viable, thereby making it legal for an elf to ride a silt skimmer.

Aaah, for fuck's sake, someone just make a post about this in "Ask the Staff" already!

Silt skimmers aren't in that doc because it's an old doc that predates the coded existence of silt skimmers. Like most of the docs, it is in need of updating.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

Quote from: Lizzie on September 12, 2010, 09:11:59 AM
Silt skimmers aren't in that doc because it's an old doc that predates the coded existence of silt skimmers. Like most of the docs, it is in need of updating.

LIKELY STORY!!!

If whirran elves can and do fly, why can't ordinary elves hop on a skimmer to reach an island?

Quote from: spicemustflow on September 12, 2010, 09:51:38 AM
If whirran elves can and do fly, why can't ordinary elves hop on a skimmer to reach an island?

Now now, that's TOTALLY different.  ::)

I want to play a skimmer-riding elf as much as anybody, but consider this: a small pack of city elves could own (inasmuch as it is possible for anyone) the Silt Sea.  Is that really appropriate?

Shouldn't going Outside be approximately as horrifying to a city elf as going Inside is to a desert elf?
The sword is sharp, the spear is long,
The arrow swift, the Gate is strong.
The heart is bold that looks on gold;
The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.

September 12, 2010, 10:32:57 AM #48 Last Edit: September 12, 2010, 10:34:29 AM by spicemustflow
Quote from: brytta.leofa on September 12, 2010, 10:25:36 AM
Shouldn't going Outside be approximately as horrifying to a city elf as going Inside is to a desert elf?

I agree, and usually play my c-elves that way, but some do get out. In fact, one city tribe makes long and hard organized trips out.

As for is it appropriate, well, why not, let them try if they're sufficiently ICly mad or desperate.

edit: for about 99% it's something unthinkable, but not because of their pride in their legs.

Quote from: brytta.leofa on September 12, 2010, 10:25:36 AM

I don't see why this would have to be the case. For desert elves, it's a matter of pride. For city elves, I'm not so certain.