Elves and Wagons

Started by Reiloth, September 10, 2010, 07:42:10 PM

Hey guys,

I personally think Staff's decision to have elves look onto Wagons as they look onto Mounts is kind of ridiculous.

I know it's beating a dead horse in a way, but I wonder what you as players think about this now, several months after the decision was made. Both as players of elves, and those that play with elves.
"You will have useful work: the destruction of evil men. What work could be more useful? This is Beyond; you will find that your work is never done -- So therefore you may never know a life of peace."

~Jack Vance~

I don't like the policy, either.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

Quote from: Synthesis on September 10, 2010, 07:53:53 PM
I don't like the policy, either.

It DOES make sense though.

Too proud for anything but their own two feet.
Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

Quote from: Delirium on August 04, 2014, 10:11:38 AM
fuck authority smoke weed erryday

oh and here's a free videogame.

I like the policy. If anything a wagon should be even worse then a mount for an elf.

I mean, at least the mount the rider controls, the wagon, just a passenger...cause nobody would allow an elf to pilot one.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

It doesnt bother me. What bothers me is that the Skimmer is put into the same category.

I have no problem with this.  Elves are too proud to be moved by anything but themselves.  Yes, I know the playability arguments about city elves, but they don't have to leave the city.  Any of them that take a job where they have to, well, they made a bad decision, or the player did.  Perhaps we could all just deal with that and simply not play city elves that go to work for Kurac, the Byn or other clans that would require them to go outside.
"I am a cipher, wrapped in an enigma, smothered in secret sauce."
- Jimmy James, the man so great they had to name him twice

Quote from: Marshmellow on September 10, 2010, 08:12:39 PM
I have no problem with this.  Elves are too proud to be moved by anything but themselves.  Yes, I know the playability arguments about city elves, but they don't have to leave the city.  Any of them that take a job where they have to, well, they made a bad decision, or the player did.  Perhaps we could all just deal with that and simply not play city elves that go to work for Kurac, the Byn or other clans that would require them to go outside.

Eh, it's this kind of argument that makes me cringe. I think elves make perfect sense in clans like the Byn or Kurac, but this playability limitation makes it difficult all around.
"You will have useful work: the destruction of evil men. What work could be more useful? This is Beyond; you will find that your work is never done -- So therefore you may never know a life of peace."

~Jack Vance~

They make sense, if they can be given duties that won't require them to go outside.  They should be able to be given such duties, but the way the game works, all the PCs generally are given the same sort of duties, and that generally means, for those clans, that they are required to go outside.  You know this is how elves are, and you know that is how some clans are... so you can choose to play the role, if you're looking for a tough role to play.  If you simply want to play in Kurac or the Byn, though, why do you have to play a city elf?  Couldn't you come up with a similar concept that wouldn't be so difficult due to IC restrictions?

Question: Do the elfs get bitchslapped if they get on the wagon/skimmer in order to raid it? Or is that a find out IC thing?

Been wondering that awhile...
Like a lithium flower, about to bloom.

Quote from: Riya OniSenshi on September 10, 2010, 08:21:18 PM
Question: Do the elfs get bitchslapped if they get on the wagon/skimmer in order to raid it? Or is that a find out IC thing?

If they're raiding, presumably the vessel is not moving, therefore the elf isn't using it for movement, therefore it's fine. But an elf couldn't get on a vessel to move it to some other location as part of the raid.
Quote from: Decameron on September 16, 2010, 04:47:50 PM
Character: "I've been working on building a new barracks for some tim-"
NPC: "Yeah, that fell through, sucks but YOUR HOUSE IS ON FIREEE!! FIRE-KANKS!!"

The last time I played an elf raiding a wagon, we killed the animals pulling it first.

Of course at the time you had to have animals pulling it.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

An elven raider has entered the large, badass war argosy.

You shout in sirihish, "Quick, start moving! He'll jump off!"

The large, badass war argosy rumbles and shakes as it moves.

An elven raider leaves the large, badass war argosy.
A dark-shelled scrab pinches at you, but you dodge out of the way.
A dark-shelled scrab brandishes its bone-handled, obsidian scimitar.
A dark-shelled scrab holds its bloodied wicked-edged, bone scimitar.

While amusing, Wolfsong, that's not how it would work in the end.

Ideally, in the future, wagons will require animals to pull them again.  Maybe not in Arm1, but in Arm2, hopefully.

Nobody really cares that city-elves get utterly screwed by the policy, and that it makes no sense for them, since they can't fucking run in the desert any better than a damn dwarf can...actually, dwarves could probably run farther, since they get a much better endurance stat.

I actually love not having to ride in a wagon. A wagon is soo boring and soo untouchable. Atleast when I am running outside of it, I am not trapped and I can see what is coming up. Pilotting a wagon is equally as boring an uneventful. You are in your own room, unable to know what is happening anywhere.

I think we should change from giant wagon houses to actual wagons that were used IRL. Specially since most wagons are less wagons and more warehouses that move.
Quote from: Cutthroat on September 30, 2008, 10:15:55 PM
> forage artifacts

You find a rusty, armed landmine and pick it up.

It's a playability issue.

A silt skimmer isn't a mount. Workarounds: Drown the elf. Problems: It's an elf, who cares?

A wagon isn't a mount. Workarounds: the elf can walk beside the wagon. Problems: The elf's constant resting will hold up the caravan.

I don't agree with the rule, but a rule is a rule. Don't play a city elf unless you're willing to avoid any rpt that would incorporate the modes of transportation mentioned.
The man wears his heavy war-saddle on his back, covering a tattoo

Crawling up on all fours, the man sits on a sturdy bed

The man sends you a telepathic message:
     "Alright, you got to tame a wild one today."

It makes sense, but it sucks.

Personally I think that city elves should have learned to swallow their cultural pride long ago, since the two are being treated as groups so distinct they are actually somewhat racially different.  I don't see them as receiving sufficient advantages to make up for the glaring lack of mobility.  This is just my perception as a relatively new player.

The biggest problem:

City elves pride their legs over anything else, yet receive no bonus to running in the city. A bonus would balance things a bit imo.

Yeaah.... Honestly, I think a c-elf who rides kanks/wagons/skimmers should be looked down upon and disrespected by other c-elves who pointlessly cling to their old ways.... Not get bitchslapped by Staff.

Quote from: Qzzrbl on September 11, 2010, 05:31:21 AM
Yeaah.... Honestly, I think a c-elf who rides kanks/wagons/skimmers should be looked down upon and disrespected by other c-elves who pointlessly cling to their old ways.... Not get bitchslapped by Staff.

This could cause some interesting conflict actually, purging of the impure perhaps?
Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

Quote from: Delirium on August 04, 2014, 10:11:38 AM
fuck authority smoke weed erryday

oh and here's a free videogame.

Quote from: Kiara on September 11, 2010, 05:24:33 AMCity elves pride their legs over anything else, yet receive no bonus to running in the city. A bonus would balance things a bit imo.
You sure about that?

Quote from: Marshmellow on September 11, 2010, 07:33:40 AM
Quote from: Kiara on September 11, 2010, 05:24:33 AMCity elves pride their legs over anything else, yet receive no bonus to running in the city. A bonus would balance things a bit imo.
You sure about that?

Absolutely positive.

Last I checked, your mvs pool was drained when running. This should not happen with a city elf. Maybe it was changed recently.

Quote from: Kiara on September 11, 2010, 07:36:32 AM
Quote from: Marshmellow on September 11, 2010, 07:33:40 AM
You sure about that?

Absolutely positive.

Last I checked, your mvs pool was drained when running. This should not happen with a city elf. Maybe it was changed recently.

In probably 75% of the rooms in Allanak, city-elves do not lose stamina when running.  You obviously weren't running in the right rooms.

Despite this, being practically restricted to the city sucks big-time unless you're a) a griefer who really enjoys soloing around fucking with people for no reason or b) you're in a clan, and the clan is very active.

So, of course, most city-elves (in Allanak, at least) are solo griefers, with the possible exception of two highly unusual outlier periods that I know people will make vague references to and imply were somehow the norm, which they were not.  And even then, you could probably make a case that these periods were merely organized griefing as opposed to solo griefing.

But whatever.  City-elves suck (and I mean this mostly in the sense of "fun to play," although there is undoubtedly a large degree of coded suckitude that goes along with this), but I suppose they're a decent way to up your GDB 1337ness cred.

Quote from: Synthesis on September 11, 2010, 08:00:07 AM
But whatever.  City-elves suck (and I mean this mostly in the sense of "fun to play," although there is undoubtedly a large degree of coded suckitude that goes along with this), but I suppose they're a decent way to up your GDB 1337ness cred.

Every race has a degree of 'suckitude.'  The key is finding the races that YOU find the strengths outweigh the weaknesses.
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

Elves don't have high enough strength to OHK with backstab, that's why Synthesis hates them.