Dwarven Women - Where Art Thou?

Started by Scarecrow, August 25, 2010, 08:20:33 AM

There seems to be at this time a serious lacking of female dwarf characters. I have noticed this phenomenon of late, and beleive it should be corrected. So if your female player, and want to try something new (but dang fun, stump is the best!) Make a female dwarf and come into Armageddon. You'll be noticed for sure, and treasured.  :)

What does everyone else think? Dwarf ladies missing, or have I just missed them?
The Devil doesn't dawdle.

August 25, 2010, 08:25:41 AM #1 Last Edit: August 25, 2010, 08:27:35 AM by Is Friday
Quote from: Scarecrow on August 25, 2010, 08:20:33 AM
There seems to be at this time a serious lacking of female dwarf characters. I have noticed this phenomenon of late, and beleive it should be corrected. So if your female player, and want to try something new (but dang fun, stump is the best!) Make a female dwarf and come into Armageddon. You'll be noticed for sure, and treasured.  :)

What does everyone else think? Dwarf ladies missing, or have I just missed them?
I was planning on playing a female half-giant as my next role or the role after my next. Does that count? (I generally play females for some reason.)

edit to be on topic:
Yeah there's hardly ever many female muls/dwarves/HGs. I can really see why, though. You get bum-rushed by the bazillion un-interesting dwarves if you play a female dwarf. Female HGs aren't dainty and pretty.

Even when I play human females getting hit on in a very American way gets annoying. Can't imagine how it'd be when you're literally the only compatible Y chromosome around.
Quote from: Fathi on March 08, 2018, 06:40:45 PMAnd then I sat there going "really? that was it? that's so stupid."

I still think the best closure you get in Armageddon is just moving on to the next character.

I think mostly just it's a bit of an area that could wiith some more filling out. Muls for instance I don't see much of at all, male or female. Lots of dwarf males about, but I can only think of about three dwarf women I've seen, and one of them might be dead now.
The Devil doesn't dawdle.

I think you've just missed them. Though there are evidently far fewer female dwarves, this is by no means unique to Arm. I personally blame Tolkien for making the fantasy genre a sausage fest, and then every pulp-fantasy book cover for featuring glamorous babes with pointy ears posing on the front cover. Phwoar!

I also suppose it's what appeals to the players ideas/concepts and a while bunch of other variables. I haven't ever seen a female southern Templar PC. Could do with a questionnaire to see how often female players play dwarves in general. It seems to me (and this is just my point of view) many dwarves are played in a very blokey manner. They're generally stubborn, masculine and hot headed. This is just a combination of fantasy baggage and some players desire to play a macho PC.

On a side note, I miss having a link to Baobab. The fact the protagonist is a dwarf always makes me giggle. I reckon if we got one hundred 14 year old boys to make a PC, 90% would make dwarves.

Southern female templars turn me on.... (I've had the opportunity to interact with a few.)
Quote from: Fathi on March 08, 2018, 06:40:45 PMAnd then I sat there going "really? that was it? that's so stupid."

I still think the best closure you get in Armageddon is just moving on to the next character.

I admit, there sure is something kinky about women in uniform who can KILL YOU AT ANY MOMENT.

I can't remember seeing all to many female dwarf NPCs for that matter. Though I think there are a couple, even a female mul out there somewhere?
Modern concepts of fair trials and justice are simply nonexistent in Zalanthas. If you are accused, you are guilty until someone important decides you might be useful. It doesn't really matter if you did it or not.

It's possible they don't have "female" or "woman" in their sdesc.

You know what else I just realized is odd?  I don't think I've ever seen, PC or otherwise, a dwarven, half-giant, or full-elf child.

Blame the gypsies.
A dark-shelled scrab pinches at you, but you dodge out of the way.
A dark-shelled scrab brandishes its bone-handled, obsidian scimitar.
A dark-shelled scrab holds its bloodied wicked-edged, bone scimitar.

Quote from: Marauder Moe on August 25, 2010, 09:40:15 AM
It's possible they don't have "female" or "woman" in their sdesc.

You know what else I just realized is odd?  I don't think I've ever seen, PC or otherwise, a dwarven, half-giant, or full-elf child.

Almost certain there is a half-giant child in the game somewhere, and elven. Though never seen a dwarf child. And yes, I know about the hidden sdesc words.. I'll keep a look out now. >_>
Modern concepts of fair trials and justice are simply nonexistent in Zalanthas. If you are accused, you are guilty until someone important decides you might be useful. It doesn't really matter if you did it or not.

I think in most fantasy literature and in most games of the kind there are few examples of dwarven women.  I can't, off hand, think of one.

Quote from: Scarecrow on August 25, 2010, 08:20:33 AM
There seems to be at this time a serious lacking of female dwarf characters. I have noticed this phenomenon of late, and beleive it should be corrected. So if your female player, and want to try something new (but dang fun, stump is the best!) Make a female dwarf and come into Armageddon. You'll be noticed for sure, and treasured.  :)

Or, you could, y'know...play a female dwarf yourself. Be the change you want to hit on, and all that.
Quote from: Decameron on September 16, 2010, 04:47:50 PM
Character: "I've been working on building a new barracks for some tim-"
NPC: "Yeah, that fell through, sucks but YOUR HOUSE IS ON FIREEE!! FIRE-KANKS!!"

My first real ARM PC was a female dwarf. I had fun. I think I saw (at the time) two other dwarves total and was hit on a grand total of once. (Hey, baby, do you want to go salt foraging? I can bring a tent.)

Now, I'm assuming most people (women, men, whatever) shy away from them because, typically, when someone apps in as a female, they do so to play traditional female qualities (an assumption, again) - people enjoy playing curvy, lithe, supple creatures with thick, wavy, golden hair, and dwarves are the exact opposite of that; they're stocky, short, hairless, and inherently masculine. Lack of gender stereotyping IC doesn't mean that players themselves magically forget gender stereotyping OOCly.
A dark-shelled scrab pinches at you, but you dodge out of the way.
A dark-shelled scrab brandishes its bone-handled, obsidian scimitar.
A dark-shelled scrab holds its bloodied wicked-edged, bone scimitar.

Guys, remember, homosexuality is commonplace in zalanthas.

Hot manstump on manstump action.

Quote from: Is Friday on August 25, 2010, 08:44:05 AM
Southern female templars turn me on.... (I've had the opportunity to interact have dirty sex with a few.)

FTFY
"You will have useful work: the destruction of evil men. What work could be more useful? This is Beyond; you will find that your work is never done -- So therefore you may never know a life of peace."

~Jack Vance~

I have played two female dwarves in the past, and it was quite a bit of fun. One of them was a Tor Sergeant. I honestly can't remember how much I was hit on, but it wasn't so much that it was annoying. Certainly less than my human female PCs have been.

Female dwarves FTW!

- Irulan
Mal: "Well they tell you: never hit a man with a closed fist. But it is, on occasion, hilarious."
---
Inara: "Thank you for the wine. It's very... fresh."

Mal: "To Kaylee, and her inter-engine fermentation system."

I know of at least four alive right now.

I think we'll see more female dwarves once the code that removes all capitalization and punctuation from dwarven speech gets fixed.

(Yes, I went there.)
Quote from: ZoltanWhen in doubt, play dangerous, awkward or intense situations to the hilt, every time.

The Official GDB Hate Cycle

Quote from: Aaron Goulet on August 25, 2010, 06:59:12 PM
I think we'll see more female dwarves once the code that removes all capitalization and punctuation from dwarven speech gets fixed.

(Yes, I went there.)

This is funny in a sad but true way.

It's better in Armageddon than other muds, methinks, because you're not stuck with the all dwarves have beards schtick. But even in mainstream fantasy games these days where the dwarf ladies are prettied up as much as possible they are very rarely played. I've been in situations in Arm where the female dwarves outnumbered the male dwarves, so really it is not all that bad. Arm's female dwarf population is probably as close to the ideal as you can get.

Female half giants are the rare ones.

Quote from: hyzhenhok on August 25, 2010, 08:10:44 PM
It's better in Armageddon than other muds, methinks, because you're not stuck with the all dwarves have beards schtick. But even in mainstream fantasy games these days where the dwarf ladies are prettied up as much as possible they are very rarely played. I've been in situations in Arm where the female dwarves outnumbered the male dwarves, so really it is not all that bad. Arm's female dwarf population is probably as close to the ideal as you can get.

Female half giants are the rare ones.

I don't see why.  Who wouldn't want to play a chick with massive jugs (and the back to support them)?
Quote from: ZoltanWhen in doubt, play dangerous, awkward or intense situations to the hilt, every time.

The Official GDB Hate Cycle

Quote from: Aaron Goulet on August 25, 2010, 06:59:12 PM

(Yes, I went there.)

If I were on staff, they would get like two warnings then a karma dock.

I seriously don't even want to interact with those dwarves at times.

The sad thing is I wonder if they 1. don't read the boards, 2. have somehow missed all the posts on the subject, 3. think it's cool, or 4. Just do it to be dicks.

That is all.
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

I've played two female dwarves, at Armageddon.  I've also played at least one extremely ugly woman, and more than a fair share of plain ones, so it's not the 'prettiness' aspect that turns me off.  It's finding a good focus so that I don't immediately store because my dwarf is a grind instead of a person.
Former player as of 2/27/23, sending love.

We also need more mutant ladies who's mutations go further than just weird colored eyes/hair.

:3

Quote from: Qzzrbl on August 25, 2010, 09:15:01 PM
We also need more mutant ladies who's mutations go further than just weird colored eyes/hair.

:3

He means this.
Like a lithium flower, about to bloom.