Hall of Kings equipment thread

Started by Kryos, May 03, 2010, 07:34:22 PM

Do you wish to see a place to buy basic, common(er) equipment added to the hall of kings to expedite new character play?

Heeeeeck yeah!
65 (73.9%)
I would never accept such blasphemy!
7 (8%)
Meh.  Don't care.
16 (18.2%)

Total Members Voted: 88

Question says it all.  I've seen this spattered about the boards, but, I'd like to see an idea of how the player base feels on this subject.

Cool idea, the trick is making them not so obvious as newbie gear and certainty avoid any potentially lucrative items.

How I think it could work best:

> point <area>

Starting Equipment Shop for <Area> [Leave]
This is an equipment shop for <area>. Use 'list weapon', 'list armor', and so on to access different merchants. Type 'leave' when you are completely finished to enter the game proper.

The various merchants would have relatively cheap stuff that fits with the area you pointed to. Allanak would have obsidian weapons and leather armor, Tuluk would have wooden stuff, etc. You could even just pull the inventories from the shops that exist in those areas into these starting rooms. That Other RPI does something similar to this, and seems to work fairly well.

Randomly generated inventory and I am down.
Quote from: Cutthroat on September 30, 2008, 10:15:55 PM
> forage artifacts

You find a rusty, armed landmine and pick it up.

Quote from: Cutthroat on May 03, 2010, 08:11:43 PM
How I think it could work best:

> point <area>

Starting Equipment Shop for <Area> [Leave]
This is an equipment shop for <area>. Use 'list weapon', 'list armor', and so on to access different merchants. Type 'leave' when you are completely finished to enter the game proper.

The various merchants would have relatively cheap stuff that fits with the area you pointed to. Allanak would have obsidian weapons and leather armor, Tuluk would have wooden stuff, etc. You could even just pull the inventories from the shops that exist in those areas into these starting rooms. That Other RPI does something similar to this, and seems to work fairly well.

I like this.

Perhaps it could keep an inventory of the commonest clothing vendor. Like the ones in the commoners quarter (allanak) or the one in the warrens (tuluk). Not instead of, but in addition to. That type of thing.
Quote from: Wug
No one on staff is just waiting for the opportunity to get revenge on someone who killed one of their characters years ago.

Except me. I remember every death. And I am coming for you bastards.

I think it would be nice just to get some basic gear - like that merchant who needs his knives and tools, and some nice threads, or that warrior who needs his Excalibur and stuff.

Yes

hmm, a store that was only accessible to n00bs? Wouldn't that screw up the market some? Seems to me the Arm economy is purely supported by the occasional injection of NARP (N00b Asset Relief Program). If we stopped propping up the real game armories with free n00b cash, what would happen? I think the Too big to fail merchant houses would collapse leaving zalanthas in terrible disarray.
If you gaze for long enough into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

www.j03m.com

Quote from: jmordetsky on January 05, 2002, 12:11:36 PM
hmm, a store that was only accessible to n00bs? Wouldn't that screw up the market some? Seems to me the Arm economy is purely supported by the occasional injection of NARP (N00b Asset Relief Program). If we stopped propping up the real game armories with free n00b cash, what would happen? I think the Too big to fail merchant houses would collapse leaving zalanthas in terrible disarray.

Just because we would be able to buy clothing before we actually get IG doesn't mean that it would screw up the economy. I actually think it would bolster it. If I can spend less coins getting fully out-fitted then I would spend more coins on the accessories and more expensive items.

I am all for this, btw. It was in another MUD that I played for all of two minutes, but it was the play and atmosphere and "Hey, have you voted today?" echoes IG that made me not like it. Their hall of kings with the clothing shops was actually pretty rad.

And yes, if this gets implemented, rotating stock, please.

Yeah, rotating, location-based, and a wide variety of choices for each type of item.
Quote from: Fnord on November 27, 2010, 01:55:19 PM
May the fap be with you, always. ;D

Quote from: Winterless on January 05, 2002, 12:20:43 PM

Just because we would be able to buy clothing before we actually get IG doesn't mean that it would screw up the economy. I actually think it would bolster it. If I can spend less coins getting fully out-fitted then I would spend more coins on the accessories and more expensive items.

I am all for this, btw. It was in another MUD that I played for all of two minutes, but it was the play and atmosphere and "Hey, have you voted today?" echoes IG that made me not like it. Their hall of kings with the clothing shops was actually pretty rad.

Sounds like SOI. They have a lot of "Vote today!" echoes IG.

Quote from: Saellyn on January 05, 2002, 01:27:30 PM

Not to derail too much, but it actually works for them, as you may have noticed.. (and you can also turn it off, easily). Armageddon's Elitism is getting us nowhere.

And how does a starting shop screw up the market? The economy of Armageddon is purely virtual, even if every PCs suddenly stop buying Salarr, it changes absolutely nothing to it's economy.
"When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse's feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back."

Quote from: Malken on January 05, 2002, 01:56:25 PM
Quote from: Saellyn on January 05, 2002, 01:27:30 PM

Not to derail too much, but it actually works for them, as you may have noticed.. (and you can also turn it off, easily). Armageddon's Elitism is getting us nowhere.

And how does a starting shop screw up the market? The economy of Armageddon is purely virtual, even if every PCs suddenly stop buying Salarr, it changes absolutely nothing to it's economy.

Good point. It's not like we're going to see the collapse of House Salarr because PCs can acquire weapons in the HoK. Actually, I'd be surprised to see the collapse of any House at any time for absolutely any reason. Lol.

If this were really a problem, you could probably have the game inject, say, coins into the Salarr shop every time someone bought a sword or piece of armor from the Hall of Kings shop.

I would be fine if this only included clothing, not armor and weapons, though.

When a new character "buys" stuff from these "shops", they're really just going through another step in the character creation process by giving their PCs the things they already "had" prior to entering the game.  It has no bearing on the actual in-game economy.

I voted "yes", by the way.  Rather than have these shops sell new items, I'd like to see them sell items already commonly found in-game in the city the player chooses (for a discounted price).  Less work for staff, and yet still fitting.
Quote from: ZoltanWhen in doubt, play dangerous, awkward or intense situations to the hilt, every time.

The Official GDB Hate Cycle

I think a torch, waterskin/gourd, etc should be in your inventory along with your starting coin when you enter the Hall of Kings. Then, I think it should be selecting your clothing, backpacks, pouches, weapons, etc from the different npcs there. It should either be, pick one of each item at no cost, or there should be an amount of HoK coins (separate from your starting coins) to spend on your beginning clothes and gear.

>inv

Carried:
a large, wooden torch
a leather waterskin
<amount> obsidian coins
<amount> HoK coins

I'd rather not see the HoK get its own set of coins.

I'd rather each shop had discounted items for your starting location and you used your starting coin.

Since all this is, is to help you so don't gotta run to the market right away, it brings the market to you.

No giving extra coins, same coins, what your guy is rolled with. Just discounted items
"Don't take life too seriously, nobody ever makes it out alive anyway."

Just a quick note - I was just kidding. I thought NARP might have been obvious but...
If you gaze for long enough into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

www.j03m.com

Quote from: jmordetsky on January 05, 2002, 05:03:20 PM
Just a quick note - I was just kidding. I thought NARP might have been obvious but...

D'oh!  You forgot the obligatory smiley face to clue us in!  :D
Quote from: ZoltanWhen in doubt, play dangerous, awkward or intense situations to the hilt, every time.

The Official GDB Hate Cycle

Quote from: jmordetsky on January 05, 2002, 05:03:20 PM

If we implement Hall of Kings equipment shops, they should be for karma players only. Newb dwarf warrior entering the Gaj dorm with an obsidian sword already in hand? Hell no!

;D

Quote from: BlackMagic0 on January 05, 2002, 04:51:12 PM

I'd rather each shop had discounted items for your starting location and you used your starting coin.

Since all this is, is to help you so don't gotta run to the market right away, it brings the market to you.

No giving extra coins, same coins, what your guy is rolled with. Just discounted items

But you start with clothes and some basic things to begin with that are not subtracted from your starting coins. I don't think that should change. If even basic clothes and pack etc come out of your starting coin, then my vote is no.

Even in the other game that I mentioned you had starting clothes that your PC was "birthed" with, so you could choose what of that to keep or toss. I do not like the idea of HoK coins separate from your starting 'sid, it should all come out of the same pot. The items available should be basic gear, not Super Paladin +3 Gloves of Healing. Just enough stuff to make you not immediately identifiable as a n00b.

Quote from: jhunter on January 05, 2002, 06:15:04 PM
Quote from: BlackMagic0 on January 05, 2002, 04:51:12 PM

But you start with clothes and some basic things to begin with that are not subtracted from your starting coins.

That we know of.

I agree that the coins spent in the Hall of Kings shop should be the coins you take into the game. That seems to make the most sense. You trade some of your starting 'sid for more starting gear.

I also like the idea of these shops' inventories rotating or being randomized somewhat. The list of available items should be exactly what is available commonly in that area.

Quote from: Cutthroat on January 05, 2002, 07:49:36 PM
I agree that the coins spent in the Hall of Kings shop should be the coins you take into the game. That seems to make the most sense. You trade some of your starting 'sid for more starting gear.

I also like the idea of these shops' inventories rotating or being randomized somewhat. The list of available items should be exactly what is available commonly in that area.

Agreed on all counts.

Although: I would like to see it done in such a fashion that all clothes sold fit on purchase (because we don't want an HOK tailor, I don't think. Maybe you would have to pay the amount extra for the item that it would take to get it tailored, but you just pay and don't have to wait like an IG tailor?), and you could say, trade your newbie pants/shirt/boots for other garments on the same wear slot without needing to pay much at all for them.
Quote from: Wug
No one on staff is just waiting for the opportunity to get revenge on someone who killed one of their characters years ago.

Except me. I remember every death. And I am coming for you bastards.

I think that can be done, AG. Many shops already allow you to buy equipment in the correct size for you, provided you are willing to buy it at the full price and not haggle.