Hall of Kings equipment thread

Started by Kryos, May 03, 2010, 07:34:22 PM

Do you wish to see a place to buy basic, common(er) equipment added to the hall of kings to expedite new character play?

Heeeeeck yeah!
65 (73.9%)
I would never accept such blasphemy!
7 (8%)
Meh.  Don't care.
16 (18.2%)

Total Members Voted: 88

I guess I don't really see the point if you have to buy your newbie clothes from your starting coin.
Quote from: Fnord on November 27, 2010, 01:55:19 PM
May the fap be with you, always. ;D

Quote from: jhunter on January 05, 2002, 11:35:48 PM
I guess I don't really see the point if you have to buy your newbie clothes from your starting coin.

Not having to start in the exact same clothes with every pc or go off hoofing it through the bazaar etc your first hour IG.

Also: They do? I don't think so. I mean, some may, but not in my experience. And I always 'view' the items before buying them.
Quote from: Wug
No one on staff is just waiting for the opportunity to get revenge on someone who killed one of their characters years ago.

Except me. I remember every death. And I am coming for you bastards.

What do you do with your starting coin when you create a new character, invest it in the Zalanthean stock market?  ???
"When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse's feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back."

Quote from: Malken on January 06, 2002, 12:35:46 AM

What do you do with your starting coin when you create a new character, invest it in the Zalanthean stock market?  ???

Buy a mount, join the Byn, pay for food and water until I can get in touch with the Sarge. Oops, there went my starting coin. And I'm supposed to afford armor on top of that? (Exchange mount with armor, same thing.)

However, I don't agree with jhunter. His concern wouldn't be a problem if the stuff in the HoK was cheaper than usual. I don't see anything wrong with that, as long as it's not so cheap that you can sell it for a profit once you get IG.

Considering that I only VERY rarely see PCs wearing nothing but their starting tunic and starting pants, I'm going to assume that the vast majority do, indeed, spend their starting coin on armors, weapons and clothing.

Since I don't often play in the Byn, I don't know how often someone joins it with a mount and nothing else. I assume they always have some basic armors, as well.

Which you could now buy in the HoK, see? ^_^
"When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse's feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back."

I'm all for a King shop. It might even be a good idea to completely strip the character in the beginning to force you to buy necessities from there. What if you really don't want those sausages, that torch, or those chalton boots? (Blasphemy, I know!)

A mixture of both random and common items would be nice to see.
Quote from: Niamh on September 24, 2009, 02:28:12 PM
Remember, you're never in trouble if you don't get caught!

Quote from: Wyx on June 28, 2009, 07:59:17 PM
Besides, the players know best

Quote from: Xagon on May 09, 2010, 08:51:45 AM
I'm all for a King shop. It might even be a good idea to completely strip the character in the beginning to force you to buy necessities from there. What if you really don't want those sausages, that torch, or those chalton boots? (Blasphemy, I know!)

A mixture of both random and common items would be nice to see.

Maybe throw metal items up there too, but with exorbitant prices..... Just for shits and giggles.

37) a rusty, steel-toothed chainsaw for 165657 coins

Having merchants in the Hall of Kings would be a bit of a blow to PC crafters in the game, because all those newbie coins would disappear outside of the game.

As it stands, a sizeable portion of those coins go to NPC merchants, who in turn use it to buy things from PC crafters (or buy back that newbie's loot when he dies and his killer trades the boots back in).

I doubt it would be game-breaking, but I'm not sure the convenience of one-stop OOC shopping outweighs the potential drain on the economy.

However, if implemented, each starting location should have its own unique shops, and those shops should have the same item-type value modifiers as similar shops in that starting location.  It would be bad if you could buy a wooden shield in the HoK at Tuluk prices, then > point allanak and profit.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

I haven't read the whole thread, so perhaps its been suggested.  If draining the NPCs is a concern, why not just make them the same NPCs?  That is, it's OOCly assumed you went to the Salarr/Kadius shops or whatever, and the coins go to them.  They also have the same lists as whatevers in the actual Salarr/Kadius shop right now.  Which shops you get depend on where you pointed.

Another mud treats character creation as a memory of your character's past.

If you point allanak, you could enter a virtual bazaar which is nondescript but allows you to purchase from some of the familiar merchants.

Quote from: MarshallDFX on May 09, 2010, 12:47:23 PM
I haven't read the whole thread, so perhaps its been suggested.  If draining the NPCs is a concern, why not just make them the same NPCs?  That is, it's OOCly assumed you went to the Salarr/Kadius shops or whatever, and the coins go to them.  They also have the same lists as whatevers in the actual Salarr/Kadius shop right now.  Which shops you get depend on where you pointed.

If they were the same shops and merchants, what would be the point of going through the trouble to code it?  To spare people the ignominy of walking around for a couple of hours in newbie gear?  I don't think that's a compelling reason.

I got the impression that what people are really interested in is having a set of shops that offer a wider variety of goods that are low to marginal in quality...things that for instance, are often sold out or only pop up when a PC crafter makes them (try finding a shovel in Allanak).  This is a nice idea, but I'd prefer to fix the in-game shops to correct this problem, rather than creating a bunch of new shops outside the game.

Lets not and say we did.
Someone punches a dead mantis in it's dead face.

Every time this topic comes up, it gains wild support, but its never implemented.

I personally support it, but there has to be some code, or economic hurdle we don't forsee, as the reason staff doesn't like the idea.   :'(

I can see a combination of reasons that would lead to the staff not wanting to implement this.

1. It isn't necessary.
2. It is one less opportunity for new players to find reasons to explore the area they logged in to.
3. Because of #2, it's one more opportunity for map-sharers to justify sharing maps.
4. In order to be of any use at all, it has to be pretty convoluted. If it were to be kept simple, there'd be no point at all.

Combine all four of the above, and you have one pretty compelling reason for -not- implementing it.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

Just put a belt seller in the Hall of Kings.  You ever try to find something as simple as a belt in the Allanak bazaar that isn't half the price of a mount? :D

Or at least they should add belts to the tailor-crafter NPCs that make clothing from the lists of colors | materials | wear locations.

I'd like to see essentially a starting room for each major location, so that if you point allanak are transported to a room with a tattoo vendor, starter clothing vendor, and an IC board so you can 'browse up' on things happening in the city of your picking, much of which you would already know before leaving to the city proper.

Quote from: Praetorian on May 16, 2010, 01:53:40 PM
Just put a belt seller in the Hall of Kings.  You ever try to find something as simple as a belt in the Allanak bazaar that isn't half the price of a mount? :D

There's a really cheap belt in the commoner's quarter, in infinite supply.

Quote from: Synthesis on May 16, 2010, 02:02:13 PM
Quote from: Praetorian on May 16, 2010, 01:53:40 PM

There's a really cheap belt in the commoner's quarter, in infinite supply.

THANK YOU. I've had belt problems since my newbie days. I've known about this one, but had forgotten about it until you reminded me.

Yeah, not finding a belt is very demoralizing. Give newbies a belt even if you want a short term fix.
Quote from: Morrolan on July 16, 2013, 01:43:41 AM
And there was some dwarf smoking spice, and I thought that was so scandalous because I'd only been playing in 'nak.

Quote from: janeshephard on May 17, 2010, 01:17:16 AM
Give newbies a belt even if you want a short term fix.

Please.
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

I just don't know why you don't get newb gear based on class anyway.  Or at least on Subguild.  Or, at the VERY least:

-A Dagger
-A Cape (with hood?)
-A Belt

And warriors might get a gith-gear leather shirt, rangers a similar spear or slingshot, and so on.  MAYBE.

The three items I listed are the sorts of things that most anyone would have if they started with 800+ coins anyway.  ESPECIALLY the cloak on Zalanthas!  You didn't survive to PC age without some kind of protection against the weather.  And daggers have long been used as eating utensils as much as side arms anyway.
You'll never find a more wretched hive of scum and villany.  Except for maybe Allanak."

-Anonymous

Quote from: 5 day lifespan on May 18, 2010, 10:07:17 AM
I just don't know why you don't get newb gear based on class anyway.  Or at least on Subguild.  Or, at the VERY least:

Guild-sniffing.

Not to mention, we play the character, not the guild. ^w^

Fine.  How about including the additions I just mentioned in starting gear for all classes?  A cloak (no stam bonus), a crap dagger, and a shoddy belt.

Also in favor of more commoner NPC's walking around in newb gear.  Just to keep that starting kit from being so obvious.  Who among us did not, as new players, interact with NPC's who had scripts thinking they were PC's?
You'll never find a more wretched hive of scum and villany.  Except for maybe Allanak."

-Anonymous

May 18, 2010, 03:14:29 PM #48 Last Edit: May 18, 2010, 03:20:22 PM by LoD
I notice that many of the people like to claim something isn't "necessary" as a reason not to pursue an idea.

Almost every feature added in the last 10-20 years hasn't been "necessary", but has probably helped make the game more enjoyable for its players, new and old.  I definitely support suggestions that would make the game more accessible, enjoyable, or accommodating to the needs of the player without incurring some kind of unwanted consequence.

Here's what I've seen thus far of the most common objections:

A HoK store would hurt the PC Merchants.

I've never purchased anything from a PC Merchant that I could have purchased from a hard-coded NPC within the first few hours of my PC's existence.  The reason for this is because I tend to avoid interaction with other players until my character has been properly dressed/outfitted to a state that represents how they would appear had they woken up that morning and treated it as any other day in their lives.  Instead, we are forced to spend the first few moments of our existence scrabbling around a sea of NPC merchants in-game in an effort to clothe and outfit our characters, as if someone had divested our characters of everything we owned, but offered us a handsome stack of coin for the trouble the night prior to our first login.

Due to the fact that I choose to interact with other PC's once my character is suitably dressed means that PC Merchants have a 0% chance of obtaining any of the coin I would use to purchase my character's first set of armor, clothing, and weapons.

It removes a need to explore the city.

I'm not sure the benefit of exploring the city outweighs the potential for frustration or annoyance at not being able to easily find shops that sell appropriate gear or a particular type of gear, especially things such as cloaks, belts, and variant packs.  Why would a foray into the unpopulated streets of the hard-coded city be a preferable use of time compared to entering the game fully clothed and ready to interact with players nearby?  I'd argue that a HoK store would probably promote more interaction with the playerbase and a higher chance of keeping new players focused on the experiences in-game that will "hook" them to playing.

It provides more opportunity for map-sharers to share maps.

If map-sharing is happening with new players, then it's either because they have RL friends that are distributing maps to them or someone else within the game is making OOC contact and sharing bad habits.  Either way, I don't think the potential to ask for or receive shared maps OOCly from other players is made any more likely with the inclusion of an HoK store.

If it's not complex, it's not worthwhile and a waste of time.

Something doesn't have to be complex in order to be effective or useful.  If you offer many of the same stock inventory offered at stores anyone can visit upon entering the game world, you will be no easier to mark as a new player than anyone else.  And I know several people that dislike the initial equipment-scramble because their background paints the picture of a reclusive or shady character purposefully avoiding contact or public visibility whereas the hard-coded reality generally requires them to break with their intended personality or plans in order to gather up items they should've had in their pockets that IC morning.

What about players that purchase a wooden shield at Tuluki prices and then point Allanak.

It should be fairly easy to insert the purchasing stage of character creation in between "point <city>" and actually arriving.  Pointing to one city would take you to mini-market where you could then clothe your character in a similar way to buying tattoos, scars, and other such character-defining objects.  This would ensure that someone doesn't abuse the ability to pre-purchase items.

New and Veteran players would benefit from this type of service in different ways.  New players would find it easier to get started, invest more in their characters by clothing and outfitting them without having to master syntax, wander around for 20 minutes in a dark sandstorm, or try to figure they way through the streets in off-peak hours with little to no IC help available.  They would be able to more readily begin interacting with their surroundings and begin experiencing the things we want them to experience.  I have yet to read a review of Armageddon where the author glowed about the sophisticated offer/barter system that drew them into the world.

Veteran players would be given some options to customize their characters and come out in-character straight out of the gate without having to invent some type of excuse or story to move about town making embarrassing purchases to cover their nearly-naked character.  If a character wanted to play a raider, thug, thief, spy, or other such shady character, they wouldn't be forced to wander highly-public areas to gather up clothes, weapons, and gear that, realistically, their character would've already owned.  It also lets veterans start playing the real game more quickly, when that's desired.

Ultimately, this is not a "necessary" addition -- but that doesn't mean it couldn't be useful on many different levels.

-LoD

I think the poll speaks for itself on this point.

I figured I'd weigh in by posting.

As I've said on other threads on this subject in the past. I am all for pregame merchants.

The nice thing about the idea is the fact that you could also cut some staff work as well.

Like for pcs that currently, because of clan/tribe/role require staff setup.

A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job