Hall of Kings equipment thread

Started by Kryos, May 03, 2010, 07:34:22 PM

Do you wish to see a place to buy basic, common(er) equipment added to the hall of kings to expedite new character play?

Heeeeeck yeah!
65 (73.9%)
I would never accept such blasphemy!
7 (8%)
Meh.  Don't care.
16 (18.2%)

Total Members Voted: 88

Quote from: X-D on May 18, 2010, 03:32:35 PM
The nice thing about the idea is the fact that you could also cut some staff work as well.

Like for pcs that currently, because of clan/tribe/role require staff setup.

Oh Krath, yes. This would make PC setup for especially for clans/tribes much quicker and easier, not only on just the player but also on the staff.

Once pointed to say... Blackwing for a d-elf you would have select merchants that could maybe call out the tribe that they sell for or have everything sold at a single merchant registered to a specific item # and in the docs for that clan/tribe it would say perhaps "items #13-27 in the pregame shop are for Whatchamacallit tribe". This way you could at least get in game and look the way your PC needs to as far as gear and the "You are so-and-so: a member of Whatchamacallit tribe" could be done whenever the staff are available.

I couldn't possibly support this idea more.

The main appeal of it to me is the opportunity to purchase 'flavour' items that you otherwise have to wish up for. The sort of thing that your character would have or need, but doesn't get on chargen because they aren't part of the standard newb suit.

Anyone who's ever apped a peg-legged character knows my frustrations.
And I vanish into the dark
And rise above my station

Again, putting a pre-game shop would have terrible implications for PC crafters.

Every newbie that comes into the game puts 400-1000 coins into the NPC shop economy.

Not to mention that, if newbies come into the game with cheap gear...how are cheap gear-selling PCs going to even have a chance?  It's hard enough catching newbs rolling through the Gaj or the Sanctuary before they go and blow all their coins on overpriced loot from Salarr.  It would be impossible if they blow it all before they even get into the game.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

You know, since the last few shopkeeper fixes, I've never had a problem with them running out of coin, even in very out of the way places where they used to have no coin boot to boot.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

Quote from: X-D on May 22, 2010, 11:46:59 AM
You know, since the last few shopkeeper fixes, I've never had a problem with them running out of coin, even in very out of the way places where they used to have no coin boot to boot.

You haven't played a merchant recently, then.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

Quote from: Synthesis on May 22, 2010, 10:58:00 AM
Again, putting a pre-game shop would have terrible implications for PC crafters.

Every newbie that comes into the game puts 400-1000 coins into the NPC shop economy.

Not to mention that, if newbies come into the game with cheap gear...how are cheap gear-selling PCs going to even have a chance?  It's hard enough catching newbs rolling through the Gaj or the Sanctuary before they go and blow all their coins on overpriced loot from Salarr.  It would be impossible if they blow it all before they even get into the game.

Perhaps there could be a way to redirect coin spent at the HoK shops to the shopkeepers in the respective bazaar....

Make it to where when the shopkeeper "sells to a passerby" he's actually selling to a PC in the HoK?

Not sure how feasible it is.... But it's an idea. o: