Apartment Security, Burglars, and Tresspassing

Started by Sephiroto, April 22, 2010, 02:27:59 PM

The NPC merchant can always afford it BTW.

Offer couch

I'll buy that for 300 coins

barter

don't have that much.

offer couch 200

Sounds good

barter

merchant gives you 200 coins for a couch.

As well as offer couch #3

Sounds good

barter

You trade a couch for a trunk..

Sort of off topic I know, but point is, Always a way.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

Quote from: Lizzie on April 24, 2010, 04:59:25 PMI have never seen anyone walk in, or out, of a building, or on the street, with a solid obsidian couch.

It happens.
Child, child, if you come to this doomed house, what is to save you?

A voice whispers, "Read the tales upon the walls."

I have been known to break into apartments and do nothing more than change the ldesc of various items. Does anyone ever notice those? Not at all , since all the neighbors steal everything.
Quote from: Cutthroat on September 30, 2008, 10:15:55 PM
> forage artifacts

You find a rusty, armed landmine and pick it up.

Quote from: Delstro on April 24, 2010, 11:31:54 PM
I have been known to break into apartments and do nothing more than change the ldesc of various items. Does anyone ever notice those?

On the contrary, I love this.
Former player as of 2/27/23, sending love.

Go scrape up some poop and instead of selling it, leave it in peoples' apartments.
she said slow down this train
slow down the iron that runs in my veins

Quote from: Sephiroto on April 22, 2010, 02:27:59 PM

What changes to make? Set apartment rent in teirs, based on quality of the complex and the amount of security provided.  The higher the rent, the more security.  Conversely, the lowest teirs of apartments cost little to rent but have no security at all.  Cheap and easily replaced attendants who stand watch in the halls are easier to replace than broken locks, or ones that would need to be replaced due to lost/stolen keys, so this should be cost-effective for management.

*bump* Please consider this. I've had my apartment robbed of valuables literally within 30 minutes of putting them there, in non obvious places. There definitely needs to be more expensive and more secure apartments, or the ability to pay for upgrades. Also with the new "apartments are not warehouses" changes, I can't even set down 2 bottles on the floor, let alone any actual furniture or chests. if you can't upgrade the doorlock, it'd at least slow down a burglar if you could place a more secure lockable chest there. I realize that these apartments are cheap and aren't supposed to be vaults, but it seems far too little protection as it is.

A related idea is, what about something like safety deposit boxes with Nenyuk, or in apartment lobbies? You could pay a monthly fee based on size of the box to store whatever you wanted, sight unseen. It'd be in the interest of the securer to not go through it or else people would stop using the service, people could actually have some peace of mind over extreme valuables, and maybe these could be stored in some master locked vault that a super-burglar could try for the ultimate score.
Rorschach: "None of you seem to understand. I'm not locked in here with you. You're locked in here with *ME*!"

I think I've only ever had an apartment broken into and stuff stolen once. (afaik) Between another pc and my own, we tracked down the culprit and when he couldn't produce our things...we gutted him.
Quote from: Fnord on November 27, 2010, 01:55:19 PM
May the fap be with you, always. ;D

Then you're probably the exception. It's happened to me twice in a week.
Rorschach: "None of you seem to understand. I'm not locked in here with you. You're locked in here with *ME*!"

Quote from: creepyguy on June 02, 2010, 03:15:02 PM
Then you're probably the exception. It's happened to me twice in a week.

This seems closer to my average apartment renting experience.

I shit you not, you're generally safer leaving your shit in an open area wilderness save room.
Quote from: Wug
No one on staff is just waiting for the opportunity to get revenge on someone who killed one of their characters years ago.

Except me. I remember every death. And I am coming for you bastards.

Quote from: AmandaGreathouse on June 02, 2010, 03:40:12 PM
I shit you not, you're generally safer leaving your shit in an open area wilderness save room.

Hah! Actually not really. I once had a cozy little setup in a wilderness save room and all it took is one player to come in and take everything for no apparent reason. All the stuff was cheap too. GET ALL ftw!

Quote from: Morrolan on July 16, 2013, 01:43:41 AM
And there was some dwarf smoking spice, and I thought that was so scandalous because I'd only been playing in 'nak.

creepyguy, this prob doesn't help much, but nenyuk DOES have small safety deposit boxes for rent at 100 sid per use

Quote from: Agent_137 on June 02, 2010, 04:35:13 PM
creepyguy, this prob doesn't help much, but nenyuk DOES have small safety deposit boxes for rent at 100 sid per use
See, that is good to know and should be easier to find out about. Thanks.

Quote from: janeshephard on June 02, 2010, 04:17:29 PM

Hah! Actually not really. I once had a cozy little setup in a wilderness save room and all it took is one player to come in and take everything for no apparent reason. All the stuff was cheap too. GET ALL ftw!

Depends on how out of the way it is. Point being: Locks on Arm are completely fucking pointless. Even if you get lockers/lockable chests in apartments, they're still going to be picked. If you want your shit left alone, put it where nobody (generally) goes, and you've got a much better chance of it being left alone than by leaving it in a locked apartment.
Quote from: Wug
No one on staff is just waiting for the opportunity to get revenge on someone who killed one of their characters years ago.

Except me. I remember every death. And I am coming for you bastards.

Quote from: AmandaGreathouse on June 02, 2010, 05:47:01 PM
put it where nobody (generally) goes

You want all your stuff to go to 'gickers?
The sword is sharp, the spear is long,
The arrow swift, the Gate is strong.
The heart is bold that looks on gold;
The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.

Yeah, losing your stuff to those damn finger wigglers would be like Tek slapping you in the face...

Depends on how out of the way it is. Point being: Locks on Arm are completely fucking pointless. Even if you get lockers/lockable chests in apartments, they're still going to be picked. If you want your shit left alone, put it where nobody (generally) goes, and you've got a much better chance of it being left alone than by leaving it in a locked apartment.

Heh, yeah.... Locks pretty much just say, "Ohai, stuff is here! If you can't get in just yet, just twink up that pick some and you'll be bankin' in no time! ;D"

Quote from: Qzzrbl on June 02, 2010, 06:37:53 PM

Heh, yeah.... Locks pretty much just say, "Ohai, stuff is here! If you can't get in just yet, just twink up that pick some and you'll be bankin' in no time! ;D"
Just wait til some guy unlocks a door, opens it, walks in, and somebody shuts the door behind him, then locks it. Who's the dumb shit now?

Quote from: Saellyn on June 02, 2010, 06:40:07 PM
Quote from: Qzzrbl on June 02, 2010, 06:37:53 PM

Just wait til some guy unlocks a door, opens it, walks in, and somebody shuts the door behind him, then locks it. Who's the dumb shit now?

I could only -wish- I were lucky enough to have a burglar walk in my apartment while I'm there....

June 02, 2010, 08:21:28 PM #44 Last Edit: June 02, 2010, 08:23:09 PM by Thunkkin
I've rented only one apartment.  I noticed within the first few days that it had been broken into a few times.  So, I locked it and hid.  I waited.  I was doing other work, so I just arranged my windows/tabs so that I could keep an eye on things in Arm while I worked.  Within less than an hour or two, someone picked the lock and strolled in.  They moved into the next room.  I closed the door.  Locked the door.  Then I hid again.  This gave me time, when they returned, for my scan to beat their hide and see who it was.  They re-picked the lock and left in a hurry.  Lucky for them, my backstab was very low at the time and not worth risking on them.  On the other hand, I then knew who it was ...
Quote from: Synthesis
Quote from: lordcooper
You go south and one of the other directions that isn't north.  That is seriously the limit of my geographical knowledge of Arm.
Sarge?

Next day, you had hawt mudsexx with the person. THEN tried out backstab!

Quote from: Saellyn on June 02, 2010, 09:07:05 PM
Next day, you had hawt mudsexx with the person. THEN tried out backstab!

Who needs backstab? "Wanna drink sweety?"
"The fear of death is the most unjustified of all fears, for there's no risk of accident for someone who's dead."
-Albert Einstein

I've walked in on 3-4 burglars in my apartment (once was a login--awkward...).

I've had burglars pick my apartment's door while I was inside several times, also.

Most amusing time was when I had a 'rinthi renting a place for various nefarious deeds.  I walk in on some guy in my apartment, and I'm like, "Who the fuck are you?" and he's like, "I was here first. I got dibs," and I'm like, "It's my apartment, retard."
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.