Imagine

Started by X-D, April 22, 2010, 12:05:20 PM

April 22, 2010, 12:05:20 PM Last Edit: April 22, 2010, 12:24:06 PM by X-D
So, after farther review I have decided that it is not so much a random tiny want as a real want.

I would love an Imagine command. It could be used for planning, like think, or daydreaming like many seem to want.

It would make planning things in your head less awkward IMO and be fun for you creative writing types.

I would also allow it to target, basicly it would be an emote but internal.

And it would allow a certain class to do things that would seem less alien to the targets.

It would only need 2 forms of the command, general and a yourself, () would add a feeling before the image and ~!^ etc would work as well. (assuming the target is in the same room).

Some examples.

iy (excited) slipping up behind ~amos and jamming ~sword into the back of ^amos neck

Feeling excited you imagine yourself slipping up behind the tall muscular man and jamming
your bronze halfsword into the back of his neck.

As Lord Templar fancypants is ranting on how much he hates elves.

im (amused) ~templar naked and covered in dung waving ~spoon around
as !templar shouts

Feeling amused you imagine the prissy looking templar naked and covered in dung waving a
wooden spoon around as he shouts.

And then of course simple daydreaming. Joe the rinther is sitting in a bar in his rags begging for coin.

iy wearing silks and rolling around in a trunk full of obsidian coins.

You imagine yourself wearing silks and rolling around in a trunk full of obsidian coins.

Internal emotes FTW :)

(Cutthroats example would make me just as happy, maybe moreso, simple is almost always better.)
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

Something similar has been suggested before, I think. I support it. Thinking in imagery seems a lot more natural in certain cases and any current attempts one can take at it with feel or think turn out pretty awkward. Since the main issue I take with 'feel' is that it sticks 'You feel' in front of everything, I would prefer making an internal emote command, e.g. 'in', where you can type things like

>in picture yourself falling into the sun.
You picture yourself falling into the sun.

>in imagine ~clerk telling you, "You now have 100,000 coins in your account."
You imagine the Nenyuki clerk telling you, "You now have 100,000 coins in your account."

>in feel scared.
You feel scared.
(equivalent to feel scared, both should be possible)

As stated elsewhere, I think this would be a very nice addition. Would help one to better play a character, offer staff some extra insight into their motives, and maybe even give the neighborhood mindbenders a fresh perspective to work with.

>imagine that he is capable of imagining things.

I think one command would be easier to code than others.  And easier for people to remember and easier for people to use.

"Internal" seems pretty good.

I'm sure you can make it so that it only echos, "You" and then you can enter -any- other text inside a non-room echo.

So, you could go:

>internal Feeling excited, @ imagine yourself slipping up behind ~amos and jaming ~sword into the back of ^amos neck

Allowing Cutthroat's idea but giving the ability to move "You" into any spot in the phrase.
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

I like it.

I would vote for the command "imote" which could be abbreviated as im.

It would officially stand for "internal emote" but it's abbreviation would also suggest "imagine."

>im @ imagines all the people, living for today.
Quote from: Synthesis
Quote from: lordcooper
You go south and one of the other directions that isn't north.  That is seriously the limit of my geographical knowledge of Arm.
Sarge?

Quote from: X-D on April 22, 2010, 12:05:20 PM
im (amused) ~templar naked and covered in dung waving ~spoon around as !templar shouts

Feeling amused you imagine the prissy looking templar naked and covered in dung waving a
wooden spoon around as he shouts.

Please make it more difficult to typo, okay?
    em (amused) ~templar naked and covered in dung waving ~spoon around as !templar shouts

The tall, muscular man (amused) the rugged, one-eyed templar naked and covered in dung waving a wooden spoon around as he shouts.

The rugged, one-eyed templar looks at you.
The willowy, grey-streaked man looks at you.
The vibrant, jade-adorned brunette looks at you.
The slim, darkly-tanned woman looks at you.
The sword is sharp, the spear is long,
The arrow swift, the Gate is strong.
The heart is bold that looks on gold;
The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.

em giggles at ~brytta

Well, it is not like the 'I' and the 'E' keys are next to each other. I think im is fine.

And I think that having it simply follow all the same rules as emote is a good idea as well.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

>imagine all the people, living life in peace

;D Not that kind of game, I know. Actually, on topic, I like the idea and like Brytta I worry more than perhaps I should over accidentally typing emote instead of imote.
Quote from: brytta.leofa on August 17, 2010, 07:55:28 PM
A glossy, black-shelled mantis says, in insectoid-accented sirihish,
  "You haven't picked enough cotton, friend."
Choose thy fate:

I've wanted this for a long time. Feel is nice, but it's often woefully inadequate to express feelings with the prefix, "you feel".

and remember the mood command. I think it covers nicely for the loss of an explicit feel command.

I would rather have a generic internal emote command than add yet another specific version.

Instead of:
>think What did he mean by that?
You think, "What did he mean by that?"
>feel confused
You feel confused.
>think (realization) Oh, kankshit! He's going to come after ME next!
Feeling realization, you think "Oh, kankshit! He's going to come after ME next!"
>imagine a blade snaking out from behind you, the instantly stealing your life away.
You imagine a blade coming out from behind you, the instantly stealing your life away.
>feel overwhelming terror.
You feel overwhelming terror.

We could have:
>]ponder the meaning of ~man words.
You ponder the meaning of the tall, mucular man's words.
>]feel confused
You feel confused.
>]realize the true meaning of %man words.
You realize the true meaning of the tall, muscular man's words.
>]imagine a blade snaking out from behind you, the instantly stealing your life away.
You imagine a blade snaking out from behind you, the instantly stealing your life away.
>]think, "Oh, kankshit!"
You think, "Oh, kankshit!"
>]Terror overwhelms @.
Terror overwhelms you.

hyzenhok.... I think I love you.

+100000000000

*begs Morgenes*
Quote from: Wug
No one on staff is just waiting for the opportunity to get revenge on someone who killed one of their characters years ago.

Except me. I remember every death. And I am coming for you bastards.

Yeah that's ... that's a REALLY good idea.
Quote from: Marauder Moe
Oh my god he's still rocking the sandwich.

I can imagine spamming the terror command.
The sword is sharp, the spear is long,
The arrow swift, the Gate is strong.
The heart is bold that looks on gold;
The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.

ooo

Ooo            oo
                      oo
                           oooo.

Yes please.
I ruin immershunz.

I like it.
Quote from: Dalmeth
I've come to the conclusion that relaxing is not the lack of doing anything, but doing something that comes easily to you.

I would actually be VERY happy with that option.
Lizzie:

I wouldn't be upset with a combined option, but I would really like having my thinks and feels/imagines be able to be separate. 

The main reason I keep my thinks and feels separate (beyond the syntax being awkward to combine them) is that I already accidentally send off "thinks" as psis on a regular basis when I'm tired or not paying attention, and I think if I was doing it in combined emotes, it'd be very ugly the person on the receiving end.
Former player as of 2/27/23, sending love.

I think for reasons already coded, we still have to seperate thinks and feels, because there are seperate skills which relate to each one of them.

But I would be all about changing the feel command to just an internal emote command like what was suggested above, and leave think as it is.
Quote from: Marauder Moe
Oh my god he's still rocking the sandwich.

I would be glad to see the () in a think simply changed not to have 'feeling' before it. So that it was like a command emote.

That's what I would really like.
Quote from: Wug
No one on staff is just waiting for the opportunity to get revenge on someone who killed one of their characters years ago.

Except me. I remember every death. And I am coming for you bastards.

One downside I see to having a more generic internal emote is that it makes the whole emote system (already having emote, pemote, semote, hemote, phemote, and psemote) just a little more daunting for new players. Though, the flexibility of it is definitely appealing.

I like that 'think' and 'feel' are intuitive commands in that they require almost no explanation. They do just what it sounds like they do.

'Imagine' seems like a natural complement to 'think' and 'feel', so I'd be happy to see it (although, admittedly, I'm not sure how often I would actually use it).
"No live organism can continue for long to exist sanely under conditions of absolute reality; even larks and katydids are supposed, by some, to dream." - Shirley Jackson, The Haunting of Hill House

Meh.  Whatever either way.  I don't think it's needed but I wouldn't oppose it.  You can already do this with think/feel, so long as you are creative with your writing.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.