April Fools...Skills..LOL

Started by Krath, April 01, 2010, 11:03:50 AM

April 01, 2010, 11:06:58 AM #1 Last Edit: April 02, 2010, 01:08:06 PM by mansa
::edit::

I made a joke about the skill levels being the april fools joke -> being ORGASMIC
thus ruining the joke for everybody :(
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

Bravo to Staff..

These are some of the best April Fools... Hilarious.
The funny little foreign man

I often hear the jingle to -Riunite on ice- when I read the estate name Reynolte, eve though there ain't no ice in Zalanthas.

Ugh.  Something I wouldn't mind seeing implemented and of course it's a joke.
You'll never find a more wretched hive of scum and villany.  Except for maybe Allanak."

-Anonymous

That is the funniest arm april fools prank yet.

Love it.

Can we keep them?
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

Guys! Way to ruin it. Some people haven't gotten it yet.

Quote from: 5 day lifespan on April 01, 2010, 11:36:22 AM

Yea same. I got so excited. I was like SWEET.
If you gaze for long enough into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

www.j03m.com

Quote from: jmordetsky on April 01, 2010, 12:39:21 PM
Quote from: 5 day lifespan on April 01, 2010, 11:36:22 AM

Yea same. I got so excited. I was like SWEET.

Can't trust anything that gets implemented on April 1!
Mal: "Well they tell you: never hit a man with a closed fist. But it is, on occasion, hilarious."
---
Inara: "Thank you for the wine. It's very... fresh."

Mal: "To Kaylee, and her inter-engine fermentation system."

watch was implemented on april 1!
some of my posts are serious stuff

I giggled.  Very clever!
Child, child, if you come to this doomed house, what is to save you?

A voice whispers, "Read the tales upon the walls."

:D

This should stir the pot: why not implement this feature for real, but for karma-entrusted players only? After all, they've earned a level of trust.  ;)
Lunch makes me happy.

Quote from: Qzzrbl on April 01, 2010, 01:06:21 PM
When I first read this, I thought, "Oh boy! It's like Christmas!"

But then I logged on and saw Pikachu....

Now I'm off to talk people to death and climax with my "Obliterating Sirihish" and my "Orgasmic <redacted> accent" ;D

Just like in 1991! When Armageddon, GnR and Metallica were at their best  :'(
"When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse's feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back."

Quote from: Malken on April 01, 2010, 01:59:21 PM

I was born in 1991. ಠ_ಠ

Quote from: Qzzrbl on April 01, 2010, 02:00:36 PM
I was born in 1991. ಠ_ಠ

I was playing MUDs before you were born. Noob.

Bwahahahahahhahhhahahaahaha*cough*choke*sob*.
Lunch makes me happy.

April 01, 2010, 02:05:04 PM #17 Last Edit: April 01, 2010, 02:14:25 PM by Malken
Just like in 1991! When Armageddon, GnR and Metallica were at their best  :'(

I was born in 1991. ಠ_ಠ

I learned about women's pee pee thanks to Armageddon when I was like 12.

I will never forget you, silver-haired lady elf in Luir's <3
"When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse's feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back."

Quote from: Malken on April 01, 2010, 02:05:04 PM

I was born in 1991. ಠ_ಠ

wow... you started young.
Choppin muthafuckaz up with mandibles since 1995.

Quote from: i can haz mantis on April 01, 2010, 02:11:12 PM

I was born in 1991. ಠ_ಠ

Just think: You were mudsexing with little kids and likely still are.
;D

Quote from: AClockworkMelon on April 01, 2010, 02:13:16 PM
Quote from: i can haz mantis on April 01, 2010, 02:11:12 PM

I was born in 1991. ಠ_ಠ

Just think: You were mudsexing with little kids and likely still are.
;D

actually i'm using my [redacted] staff to chop their heads off then nom them later.
Choppin muthafuckaz up with mandibles since 1995.

"Like ur mom" was my favorite.

Oh... it wasn't a joke  :o

I wish there was a list of skill levels somewhere, though. I really have no idea what at least one of them actually means.

This is like..what I was posting about somewhere..minutes ago!

It's also sad to see just exactly HOW bad I suck at some things I thought I was fair-to-middling at, heh. But fun.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

Wow, now that's educational. Some make me go  'eh?', that's for sure.

April 02, 2010, 10:41:17 AM #27 Last Edit: April 02, 2010, 10:45:34 AM by Salt Merchant
Interesting to actually see them.

None of these are a surprise, really. They all reflect how much they've been used and a guild's basic handicaps.

I'd love to see offense and defense listed now. Also, I'd like to see ()'s replaced with []'s (doesn't matter much, just aesthetics).
Lunch makes me happy.

Quote from: Salt Merchant on April 02, 2010, 10:41:17 AM
I'd love to see offense and defense listed now.

nope
Morgenes

Producer
Armageddon Staff

Wow. This is a very, very nice addition, Tiernan. Thank you immensely.
Quote from: Wug
No one on staff is just waiting for the opportunity to get revenge on someone who killed one of their characters years ago.

Except me. I remember every death. And I am coming for you bastards.

This is awesome. It's going to make me type skills even more obsessively than before.
I ruin immershunz.

Wowza.
I think I'm going to like this a little too much.

my heart is full of joy

You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

So, quick summary of these new values:

Range goes from:

Novice
Apprentice
Journeyman
Advanced
Master

These, like attributes, are relative according to each character's guild maximums and minimums.  A merchant/hunter with (Master) in archery might be the equivalent of a Ranger with (Apprentice) in archery.

Now obviously I don't know the actual values between the two guilds and subguilds, but I think it's a good call to make the skill level indications relative to our character's perspective.
Quote from: Dalmeth
I've come to the conclusion that relaxing is not the lack of doing anything, but doing something that comes easily to you.

Quote from: Pale Horse on April 02, 2010, 12:21:21 PM
A merchant/hunter with (Master) in archery might be the equivalent of a Ranger with (Apprentice) in archery.

No.

It's not normalized.

A merchant/hunter with Archery will never be a (Master).

And just to confirm, since we apparently weren't clear enough in ATS, Mansa is correct, it is NOT normalized by guild.
Morgenes

Producer
Armageddon Staff

So subguild versions likely max at journeyman while main guild can go all the way up to master? Something along those lines it sounds like? It's interesting to see.
Quote from: Fnord on November 27, 2010, 01:55:19 PM
May the fap be with you, always. ;D

April 02, 2010, 01:19:52 PM #39 Last Edit: April 02, 2010, 04:00:52 PM by Pale Horse
Quote from: Morgenes on April 02, 2010, 01:06:54 PM
And just to confirm, since we apparently weren't clear enough in ATS, Mansa is correct, it is NOT normalized by guild.
Quote from: jhunter on April 02, 2010, 01:17:52 PM
So subguild versions likely max at journeyman while main guild can go all the way up to master? Something along those lines it sounds like? It's interesting to see.

Are we sure about this?  If so, that is odd since I have a character who is [Edited] in their subguild craft.
I've come to the conclusion that relaxing is not the lack of doing anything, but doing something that comes easily to you.

Is it also a class skill though? If so then it makes sense from what I'm hearing, if not then there is likely a problem.
Quote from: Fnord on November 27, 2010, 01:55:19 PM
May the fap be with you, always. ;D

Heh, Staff already said it is based on max possible, not max possible for guild.

Sheesh.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

Quote from: jhunter on April 02, 2010, 01:22:51 PM
Is it also a class skill though? If so then it makes sense from what I'm hearing, if not then there is likely a problem.

It is not a class skill, no.

Quote from: X-D on April 02, 2010, 01:24:24 PM
Heh, Staff already said it is based on max possible, not max possible for guild.

Sheesh.

I am disappointed, then.  Still a cool addition, but my preference would have been to "keep some of the magick" with basing it off of potential.

Ah, well.  I still love the change.

April 02, 2010, 01:46:26 PM #43 Last Edit: April 02, 2010, 01:48:14 PM by MarshallDFX
Whoah.  Double frigging blind.

I'm trippin' balls.  Not sure if I like or dislike.

I like it overall, I think. It makes some sense.
The level names seem suspiciously similar to Oblivion's mastery level names...

Not that that's a bad thing.

Whoah....

I'm very surprised at where my skills are at.

Quote from: Cutthroat on April 02, 2010, 01:51:27 PM
I like it overall, I think. It makes some sense.
The level names seem suspiciously similar to Oblivion's mastery level names...

Not that that's a bad thing.

FWIW, we had 4 originially, all but 'advanced'.  I suggested we add the fifth and 'advanced'.  Tiernan and Nyr came up with the other 4.

Quote from: Pale Horse on April 02, 2010, 01:19:52 PM
Are we sure about this?  If so, that is odd since I have a character who is a Master in their subguild craft.

If you have a specific question about your character and their skills please submit a request to have it reviewed and express your specific concern.  Do NOT discuss it here.  Thanks.
Morgenes

Producer
Armageddon Staff

Quote from: Morgenes on April 02, 2010, 01:58:08 PM
If you have a specific question about your character and their skills please submit a request to have it reviewed and express your specific concern.  Do NOT discuss it here.  Thanks.

Will do.  I was surprised, and will edit my posting.

I . . . I'm so conflicted.  I love this.  I don't love this.   It makes me so happy.  . . but it feels so, so . . dirty.   

So this... this wasn't a joke?

It was a joke, then it was for real.

Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

I like to think of it as a religious experience. A correlation between the festivities and pseudo-symbolism of the Easter Bunny, and the biblical recollection of the Exodus and the revelation brought down from the Mountain in the form of the holy blocky chunks of granite.

I still think my [redacted] skill should be equal to or greater than my [redacted] skill though. Also, I kinda thought "like ur mom" was a fun rank to have.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

The more I look at my skills list, the more I realize that I am going to have to see what a newbie of the guild starts with to actually understand anything.  Like how one of my least practiced skills is at "master".  Until I do, all I have are my crackpot theories on how this could be.

Have to say I was fairly shocked this was implemented, though.  Was the decision made to do sort of the same thing in Arm 2, and then the imms decided it might as well be done for Arm 1?  Or is this a test, to see if it should be done for Arm 2?
Evolution ends when stupidity is no longer fatal."

.... Whoah. Just learned some new things about skills because of this. Things that don't really make sense to me.

Quote from: RogueGunslinger on April 02, 2010, 07:37:31 PM
.... Whoah. Just learned some new things about skills because of this. Things that don't really make sense to me.
I've learned that my 3 day character sucks at everything.

Except his language.  ;D

There seem to be some skills this does not show up for  :-\
Quote from: Marauder Moe
Oh my god he's still rocking the sandwich.

This has made me utterly utterly confused about the skills system. Some things I practice over and over are low, while others are great...

I thought it was far more fun and realistic to judge my skills by how well I actually perform ingame.

This addition will make people grind skills far more, so they can reach the next "level", which will detract from their RP, from immersion, etc. Makes powergaming far
easier. You might as well remove the ban on discussion of game mechanics on the GDB completely now, it's the same thing.

I thought it was far more fun and realistic to judge my skills by how well I actually perform ingame.

You can still do this.

This addition will make people grind skills far more, so they can reach the next "level", which will detract from their RP, from immersion, etc. Makes powergaming far easier.

Powergaming twinks theoretically can't get worse, so let's give the addition to the game a couple weeks to see if good roleplayers suddenly turn into powergaming twinks. Some members of this community have a nasty habit of knocking changes to the game just as they're placed in, when in reality it takes time to settle and work out the kinks. You really don't know how good or bad a change is until you try it. So give this one a try. :) And basically, wait it out.

QuoteYou might as well remove the ban on discussion of game mechanics on the GDB completely now, it's the same thing.

I'm pretty sure this is hyperbole, unless you can explain how that actually is.

Wow. I suck at some stuff. I'm okay with this change. I'm more liable to ignore my skill level and just judge my character on how she or he does in game, as I always have.

I wish I'd been here to see the actual joke, though.
Quote from: brytta.leofa on August 17, 2010, 07:55:28 PM
A glossy, black-shelled mantis says, in insectoid-accented sirihish,
  "You haven't picked enough cotton, friend."
Choose thy fate:

At first I thought what a slippery slope this could be.  For every good point I see a possible, negative aspect but since I choose to maintain a positive perspective I place my hopes that no player will not take advantage of the new feature, but enhance their RP with it.

One positive thing I like about the change is that it allows us to see how good, or bad we are at a skill.  It is easier to know the weakness of your character, and strengths.  When we know both, we know what to do to make our characters more well rounded.  It puts us into control of how the PC's personality dictates their actions, rather than false OOC cockiness dictating.  It allows us to screw up on purpose, or to be likewise cautious.  It removes the OOC ignorance factor.

When we know our PC pretty good at doing something or conversely, poor at a skill, we can chose our actions more wisely because there is some vague, teired value by which we can measure skills.  This eliminates the curious need to go wrecklessly "testing" how good I am.  Overall, I see this is a decision-making aid. 

How do we establish these skill levels?  Well, I think about those values as a comparison between what our PC's can do and what they see NPC's or VNPC's do that we the players never/rarely see firsthand.  This way we quantify our abilities through somethign that exists through RP, rather than having our characters intrinsically understand just how good they are.  "I am a journeyman at piercing weapons and a master at parrying!" is something I never want to hear a PC say.  However, "I think I'm pretty good at what I do.  I seem to be better than all but the best I've seen in the whole city.  I could probably be a drill instructor if I worked hard enough", doesn't sound so bad at all.

Overall I believe these skill designators allows us an opportunity to better roleplay our characters to what they are actually capable of.  It puts us in charge of the character a little more.  When we are in control and we make better decisions we can (if smartly played) live longer.  When we live longer, plots thrive.  Likewise it also allows us to play into character flaws and do purposefully dumb things that can enrich an RP scene or make life "fun" for our PC and those around them in a testy situation.

This is a MUD, not a MUSH. A focus on skills is not bad form.

So I am very happy to see this change. Had it been more descriptive than this, I might have been a little angry, but this is just fine.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

Interesting.... maybe I'll just look at it every birthday though.

i cant be the only one who liked the tags of the joke skill levels more than their serious counterpart?
some of my posts are serious stuff

Your not.
Lizzie:

Quote from: Ghost on April 03, 2010, 03:06:26 PM
i cant be the only one who liked the tags of the joke skill levels more than their serious counterpart?

I too prefered the joke ones
Quote from: BleakOne
Dammit Kol you made me laugh too.
A staff member sends:
     "Hi! Please don't kill the sparring dummy."

Quote from: Kol on April 04, 2010, 02:40:11 PM
Quote from: Ghost on April 03, 2010, 03:06:26 PM

I too prefered the joke ones

Only because orgasmic sirish is the way to go.
"The fear of death is the most unjustified of all fears, for there's no risk of accident for someone who's dead."
-Albert Einstein

I liked the joke ones better. Only concern was they rotated too much xD

Quote from: Sephiroto on April 03, 2010, 01:18:44 PM"I am a journeyman at piercing weapons and a master at parrying!" is something I never want to hear a PC say.

I get the feeling that the descriptive words (novice, apprentice, journeyman, master) were picked to prevent exactly this from occurring.