Discussion: Newbie Repop popped

Started by Morgenes, January 02, 2010, 08:25:32 PM

Use this thread to discuss the Staff Announcement about the change to Newbie Repop:

http://www.zalanthas.org/gdb/index.php/topic,37502.0.html
Morgenes

Producer
Armageddon Staff

NOOOO!!!! I'm going to go through so many characters now.
Quote from: Cutthroat on September 30, 2008, 10:15:55 PM
> forage artifacts

You find a rusty, armed landmine and pick it up.

I don't think I've ever died within the first 2 hours of play, so I'll be the first to say, the change has essentially no effect on me and I have no problem with it.

It would be an inconvenience and one of those horrible eye-rolling experiences if it did happen to me. But it would be no less an inconvenience at 1 hour as it would at 2 hours and 2 minutes.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

I've only repopped once.  I'm indifferent as to this change.
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

I think this will curb instances of people walking from city X to city Y in their first two hours simply because they know they're "safe", which isn't very IC.
Quote from: ZoltanWhen in doubt, play dangerous, awkward or intense situations to the hilt, every time.

The Official GDB Hate Cycle

But who does that? I think half my characters die within the first two hours.
> forage artifacts

Quote from: Delstro on January 02, 2010, 08:37:56 PM
But who does that? I think half my characters die within the first two hours.

Maybe you'll be more cautious with them now.
Morgenes

Producer
Armageddon Staff

Quote from: Aaron Goulet on January 02, 2010, 08:35:56 PM
I think this will curb instances of people walking from city X to city Y in their first two hours simply because they know they're "safe", which isn't very IC.

Do people actually do this?

Anyhow, I don't have much of an opinion on this. Wasn't aware it was even an issue.
And I vanish into the dark
And rise above my station

I kind of see more ill to this then good. What bad really came from having the repop before? Things 'do' happen. Like guards at Blackwings suddenly growing hostile and insta killing a newly arrived newbie elf, or an errant elemental making its way into a spawn area (That didnt happen to my knowledge, but it could've). Seriously, so very little is fixed by this, and so much possible problems could 'possibly' arise.

Good point, Lurekus.

What was this suppose to "fix"?
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

Pretty sure I've never repopped. Even if I had, I'd still think this was a great idea.

Quote from: Grey Area on January 02, 2010, 09:20:03 PM
Pretty sure I've never repopped. Even if I had, I'd still think this was a great idea.

+1
Quote from: Vanth on February 13, 2008, 05:27:50 PM
I'm gonna go all Gimfalisette on you guys and lay down some numbers.

Thanks.

I hated repops from the beginning. Puts you in a weird situation to be honest.
Quote from: Morrolan on July 16, 2013, 01:43:41 AM
And there was some dwarf smoking spice, and I thought that was so scandalous because I'd only been playing in 'nak.

Quote from: Lurekus on January 02, 2010, 08:55:16 PM
I kind of see more ill to this then good. What bad really came from having the repop before? Things 'do' happen. Like guards at Blackwings suddenly growing hostile and insta killing a newly arrived newbie elf, or an errant elemental making its way into a spawn area (That didnt happen to my knowledge, but it could've). Seriously, so very little is fixed by this, and so much possible problems could 'possibly' arise.

If you are insta-killed due to a code bug you can submit a resurrection request as before.  This is fixing a number of issues, not the least of which is that the newbie repop is completely OOC and puts you in a hard place to explain when you see someone die and then waltz back into the room.  We will continue to allow it as a nicety to newbies, but once you've learned enough to earn a karma point, we don't feel you need that crutch any more.
Morgenes

Producer
Armageddon Staff

Quote from: FantasyWriter on January 02, 2010, 08:34:23 PM
I've only repopped once.  I'm indifferent as to this change.
Quote from: LauraMars
Quote from: brytta.leofaLaura, did weird tribal men follow you around at age 15?
If by weird tribal men you mean Christians then yes.

Quote from: Malifaxis
She was teabagging me.

My own mother.

I think it's happened to me two or three times some time ago. It's a good change though.
Quote from: Fnord on November 27, 2010, 01:55:19 PM
May the fap be with you, always. ;D

Um... Yeh... I was just joking earlier. I have never repopped since I was a newbie.
> forage artifacts

wtf.

i'm quitting.
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

Quote from: Morgenes on January 02, 2010, 10:03:56 PM
Quote from: Lurekus on January 02, 2010, 08:55:16 PM

If you are insta-killed due to a code bug you can submit a resurrection request as before.  This is fixing a number of issues, not the least of which is that the newbie repop is completely OOC and puts you in a hard place to explain when you see someone die and then waltz back into the room.  We will continue to allow it as a nicety to newbies, but once you've learned enough to earn a karma point, we don't feel you need that crutch any more.
Quote from: mansa on January 02, 2010, 11:25:06 PM
wtf.

i'm quitting.
I personally have only repopped maybe twice and it was totally strange trying to come up with a reason why someone saw me be, beheaded by a desert elf one moment and back in the sun king sanctuary the next.  I think it's fine.

Seems reasonable to me. No problem with it at all.
Quote from: Marauder Moe
Oh my god he's still rocking the sandwich.

Sweet, it'll be so much easier to fish for Absolutely Incredibles now.

Quote from: jstorrie on January 03, 2010, 02:00:42 AM
Sweet, it'll be so much easier to fish for Absolutely Incredibles now.

rofl, my thoughts exactly.
"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard." -- H. L. Mencken

I believe I once walked from one city to another - Red Storm to Allanak - within first hours of my character, because I needed tools for my subguild and Red Storm didn't provide them. Why's that a problem?
Q  : Where do you piss?
Yam: On elves.
Q  : And if the area, lacks elves at the given time?
Yam: Scan.

Quote from: evil_erdlu on January 03, 2010, 05:45:49 AM
I believe I once walked from one city to another - Red Storm to Allanak - within first hours of my character, because I needed tools for my subguild and Red Storm didn't provide them. Why's that a problem?

But you would have done that whether or not you had the noobie timer, no?
If so then absolutely nothing.
Grebber - One who grebs.