Discussion: Newbie Repop popped

Started by Morgenes, January 02, 2010, 08:25:32 PM

January 03, 2010, 09:39:13 AM #25 Last Edit: January 03, 2010, 10:03:15 AM by deviant storm
I've repopped once, recently. During the HRPT, actually. I started a new character and almost immediately ran into Big Bad HRPT Monster Thing, which pretty much one-hit KO'ed me.

Pop. I started over with all my stuff, and I made sure not to go there and got to start that character out properly.

Frankly I don't see this as a big problem if I can't repop like that. It isn't something I usually have happen, this being a one of those freak things that happen occasionally. But I can forsee this meaning more staff needing to man the app queue, and a little more player frustration as they wait for characters to be approved, particularly if such HRPT circumstances happen again.

Edit: spelling error fixed.
Quote from: brytta.leofa on August 17, 2010, 07:55:28 PM
A glossy, black-shelled mantis says, in insectoid-accented sirihish,
  "You haven't picked enough cotton, friend."
Choose thy fate:

You know, it might be interesting to experience a repop at least once. Or to at least have that chance. So I'll amend my initial stance:

The change is great, though maybe it could be:

You can still repop pre-karma.

HOWEVER if you never repopped pre-karma you will be allowed one repop post-karma.

The first repop pre-karma would cancel out the option to repop post-karma.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

Having once been rushed into PK by someone obviously not a newbie, only to learn that it was so they could repop... thanks for this.
Quote from: Gimfalisette
(10:00:49 PM) Gimf: Yes, you sentence? I sentence often.

Now I won't be able to kill myself at 10 minutes in the middle of [insert popular tavern here] with my sorc, then respawn! (See odd urges somewhere.)

The only problem I have with it is the relatively long wait time between player death and getting a new character. Beyond that, I'm indifferent one way or the other.
Quote from: Niamh on September 24, 2009, 02:28:12 PM
Remember, you're never in trouble if you don't get caught!

Quote from: Wyx on June 28, 2009, 07:59:17 PM
Besides, the players know best

:laughs:  I will forever be immune to this problem.
You'll never find a more wretched hive of scum and villany.  Except for maybe Allanak."

-Anonymous

Quote from: jcljules on January 03, 2010, 09:57:48 AM
Having once been rushed into PK by someone obviously not a newbie, only to learn that it was so they could repop... thanks for this.

What?  Where's the benefit?  I mean, who benefits from repopping? I seriously doubt your victim was intentionally goading you into slaughtering him for his newbie boots.

I've repopped three times, once before I had any karma.  The most noteworthy instance was due to an interaction in the Rinth turning into a PK.  I wasn't looking to be PKed; felt shitty about being PKed in the first hour. Given that one particular experience, I view this change a mildly bad thing.

Quote from: number13 on January 03, 2010, 08:31:39 PM
Quote from: jcljules on January 03, 2010, 09:57:48 AM

What?  Where's the benefit?  I mean, who benefits from repopping? I seriously doubt your victim was intentionally goading you into slaughtering him for his newbie boots.

Imagine you walked out into the desert when it was nice and clear, but then a tremendous storm pops up.  You have nothing but your newbie water and food, and you know it isn't going to keep you alive, but you know that by the time you die of dehydration in the storm, your newbie timer will have expired.

Some random ranger walks up and you goad him into killing you.  Boom, you just magickally transported yourself back to the city and avoided a slow death by dehydration.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

I agree with this change, but I will miss being retarded with Newbie Repop on occasion.
Child, child, if you come to this doomed house, what is to save you?

A voice whispers, "Read the tales upon the walls."

Quote from: Synthesis on January 03, 2010, 08:41:10 PM

Some random ranger walks up and you goad him into killing you.  Boom, you just magickally transported yourself back to the city and avoided a slow death by dehydration.

I still don't see this as a beneficial or positive thing.
<immcom> Petoch for your thoughts?

Quote from: Tzurahro on January 03, 2010, 09:08:45 PM

Oh yeah, that's what I'm saying:  this is one potential way of abusing the system.

Good riddance to the newbie repop thing.  It never made much sense.

Quote from: Tzurahro on January 03, 2010, 09:08:45 PM

Yeah, it's definitely not. I was goaded exactly this way. My only PK ever and it was dumb.  >:(
Quote from: Gimfalisette
(10:00:49 PM) Gimf: Yes, you sentence? I sentence often.

If anyone ever pulled that stunt, I'd definitely file some player complaints there.
Quote from: LauraMars
Quote from: brytta.leofaLaura, did weird tribal men follow you around at age 15?
If by weird tribal men you mean Christians then yes.

Quote from: Malifaxis
She was teabagging me.

My own mother.

Calling us Nulkarmers 'newbies'..

Yeah just rub salt into the wound  :'(

Good change.

I repoped with a mul once.  That was interesting.
Evolution ends when stupidity is no longer fatal."

Newbie repop for newbies only?  Awesome.  I see no reason why not.  I haven't newbie repopped ever, so as things stand, I'd notice no change.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

Honestly in like 10 yrs this is happened to me once, with a Red Storm Mul, who repopped in Allanak and was swiftly killed. Good change. If you aren't a n00b and can't stay alive for an hour then you learn to be more careful.

If you gaze for long enough into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

www.j03m.com

So did repops happen in a random place?
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

The repop isn't random, no.  I'm unsure if we should discuss the specifics, though.

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

Funny thing is, the only time I've had this happen to me in 9 years was two weeks ago.  I was so taken aback by having it happen that I was shocked and didn't know what to do, lol.

I think I've repopped twice...

Both times, I was doing something enormously foolish, right from the start, but didn't know any better, then.  I was, indeed, a newb.
Quote from: Dalmeth
I've come to the conclusion that relaxing is not the lack of doing anything, but doing something that comes easily to you.

Quote from: FantasyWriter on January 04, 2010, 01:56:16 PM
So did repops happen in a random place?

From what I remember, you got sent to an empty area, then you could proceed to go back to whatever area you pointed at in the Hall. Don't quote me on that, though.

Ouch.. Mul repops musta sucked.
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

Repop brings you back to your hometown, the location picked when you 'pointed' from the Hall of Kings.  In Tuluk, this is upstairs of the Sanctuary and in Allanak this is the Gaj dormitory.  See, it's the location you appear when you first pop into the game.

For some characters, however, where they start in the game and their hometown aren't the same thing.  If you have played one, you know what I'm talking about, and if you haven't, you don't know what I'm talking about and I won't explain more than this.

Quote from: spawnloser on January 05, 2010, 10:29:10 AM
Repop brings you back to your hometown, the location picked when you 'pointed' from the Hall of Kings.  In Tuluk, this is upstairs of the Sanctuary and in Allanak this is the Gaj dormitory.  See, it's the location you appear when you first pop into the game.

For some characters, however, where they start in the game and their hometown aren't the same thing.  If you have played one, you know what I'm talking about, and if you haven't, you don't know what I'm talking about and I won't explain more than this.

So that explains why I keep finding halfling tracks in the 'rinth.

Quote from: Synthesis on January 05, 2010, 04:54:26 PM
So that explains why I keep finding halfling tracks in the 'rinth.
Now THAT would be hilarious.  :D