Subguild w/ Ranger 'Vision'

Started by FantasyWriter, November 16, 2009, 08:15:00 AM

We need a subguild with ranger 'vision': The ability to navigate all but the worst of storms.

QuoteSubguild Caravan Guide     (Character)

Caravan guides are skilled in desert travel, whether it be on a mount or piloting a wagon. They are skilled in assessing goods, and most have learned at least a smattering of the nomadic tongue.

See Also:
   guilds, subguilds

I think Caravan Guide should be the one.

Comments? Staff opinion?
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

Totally agree. I would feel so much more comfortable about playing a desert-elf NON-ranger, if I had ranger-vision. Someone who is born "out there," spends their entire lives "out there" and does most of his business "out there" should know more about "out there" than any city-bred human fuck-twat even on his best rangering day.

Alternately, give desert elves ranger vision.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

I think Ive suggested this before. Good idea.

All the subguilds Hunter/Nomad/Caravan Guard/Scavanger could fit.
Modern concepts of fair trials and justice are simply nonexistent in Zalanthas. If you are accused, you are guilty until someone important decides you might be useful. It doesn't really matter if you did it or not.

November 16, 2009, 10:04:41 AM #4 Last Edit: November 16, 2009, 10:09:28 AM by brytta.leofa
Quote from: FantasyWriter on November 16, 2009, 08:15:00 AM
We need a subguild with ranger 'vision': The ability to navigate all but the worst of storms.

QuoteSubguild Caravan Guide     (Character)

Caravan guides are skilled in desert travel, whether it be on a mount or piloting a wagon.

Totally agree.  Rangers still have perks a-plenty (including desert quit), and this would make them a tad less sniffable.  Cap it so that, unlike proper rangers, they still have to hunker down when the weather gets to "blinding, biting sand" or so.

This would open up some nice new concepts.  And it puts my view of Caravan Guide at "tempted, but still cringing at the skills I miss by picking it" (hunt, archery, mounted combat).  That usually means it's a good balance.
The sword is sharp, the spear is long,
The arrow swift, the Gate is strong.
The heart is bold that looks on gold;
The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.

I could definitely get behind this.
Quote from: manonfire on November 04, 2013, 08:11:36 AM
The secret to great RP is having the balls to be weird and the brains to make it eloquent.

Quote from: Voular on November 16, 2009, 09:45:34 AM

True, but all those other than caravan guide already have plenty of great perks.

I agree with brytta about caravan guide's current apparent usefulness, and like the original idea.

Quote from: Cutthroat on November 16, 2009, 11:09:08 AM
Quote from: Voular on November 16, 2009, 09:45:34 AM

True, but all those other than caravan guide already have plenty of great perks.

I agree with brytta about caravan guide's current apparent usefulness, and like the original idea.

That's why I thought it would be the best place to put it as well.
I would hate to have more than one subguild get it and all of a sudden everyone was running around in sandstorms like they were nothing.
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

I can get behind this. It suits the subguild, right down to the description that's already written.

The only other subguild I feel is strongly deserving would be Nomad. I don't think that people who spend their lives outside, moving from place to place, should have as much difficulty navigating storms.

Quote from: Akoto on November 16, 2009, 11:28:32 AM
I can get behind this. It suits the subguild, right down to the description that's already written.

The only other subguild I feel is strongly deserving would be Nomad. I don't think that people who spend their lives outside, moving from place to place, should have as much difficulty navigating storms.

Definitely agree.

I'd love to see both nomad and caravan guide get this.
Quote from: Wug
No one on staff is just waiting for the opportunity to get revenge on someone who killed one of their characters years ago.

Except me. I remember every death. And I am coming for you bastards.

I can dig them both.
Grebber - One who grebs.

I just want to throw in that I also endorse this.

Brandon
Quote from: Ghost on December 16, 2009, 06:15:17 PM
brandon....

you did the biggest mistake of your life

Yes, caravan guide should be the only other option besides ranger that has this ability. Maybe nomad as well, not one-hundred percent sure on that one though.
Quote from: Fnord on November 27, 2010, 01:55:19 PM
May the fap be with you, always. ;D

Quote from: jhunter on November 16, 2009, 11:39:58 AM
Yes, caravan guide should be the only other option besides ranger that has this ability.

I don't know.  I think they might have a valid point with nomad as well.

Brandon
Quote from: Ghost on December 16, 2009, 06:15:17 PM
brandon....

you did the biggest mistake of your life

Lol, was editing as you posted apparently.
Quote from: Fnord on November 27, 2010, 01:55:19 PM
May the fap be with you, always. ;D

I like this idea.
Quote from: LauraMars
Quote from: brytta.leofaLaura, did weird tribal men follow you around at age 15?
If by weird tribal men you mean Christians then yes.

Quote from: Malifaxis
She was teabagging me.

My own mother.

C'mon, let's get some disagreeablement in this thread.

Anybody?  I poke you, Synthesis.

I think giving the skill to one subguild would be a good idea, but not to more--since we don't really want the usefulness of these PCs and their ability to guide other people through storms to get diluted. Caravan guide makes sense, nomad not particularly.

That's the best I can do for disagreement, brytta.
Quote from: Vanth on February 13, 2008, 05:27:50 PM
I'm gonna go all Gimfalisette on you guys and lay down some numbers.

Quote from: Gimfalisette on November 16, 2009, 12:24:58 PM
Caravan guide makes sense, nomad not particularly.

I generally agree.  The only difficulty I see is that indie human tribals are required to pick the nomad subguild.  (Yet I don't want to see a proliferation of unconnected tribals just 'cause people want storm navigation.)

I don't see how Nomad would make any less sense, really. Caravan guides lead people through the wilderness, moving from place to place. Nomads live in the wilderness, moving from place to place.

Heck, if anything, I'd say Nomads are equally or better justified. Caravan guides learn to exist in storms as a trade, whereas for Nomads, it's a way of life.

The concept of a nomad is not of an individual character who moves place to place on their own, alone; it's of a tribe that moves place to place, together. The nomad is an individual in that tribe, but that individual does not necessarily possess the skills to make him/herself independently sufficient.

I do not find arguments that are basically about making individual PCs more self-sufficient compelling, because generally speaking I think that interdependencies are good for the game and less interdependency is bad.
Quote from: Vanth on February 13, 2008, 05:27:50 PM
I'm gonna go all Gimfalisette on you guys and lay down some numbers.

No.  The ranger's immunity from directional randomness has more far-reaching effects than storms.  It would be pretty bad.  Trust me.

November 16, 2009, 12:48:29 PM #22 Last Edit: November 16, 2009, 12:51:02 PM by FantasyWriter
This would not necessarily help only indies.
I've been stuck places several times with other PCs and waiting on a guild_ranger to show up so we could get from point A to point B and it never happened.

I've also rolled up two PCs that I would MUCH rather had another guild, but chose ranger because they moved form place to place quite a bit.
Rangers are about SURVIVING outside, not just "passing through" outside, although they can be that as well.
Grebber - One who grebs.

Quote from: Rotten on November 16, 2009, 12:47:01 PM
No.  The ranger's immunity from directional randomness has more far-reaching effects than storms.  It would be pretty bad.  Trust me.

Oh, I've done a few twinky things with ranger awesomeness.  Maybe it would require code changes to pull off a limited version for a subguild, and maybe it ain't worth it.  One simple help might be to add a city vs. desert check to (at least) the subguild version.

But if you look purely at the ability to Not Get Lost in Gritty Sand Blows, that's a very reasonable addition to caravan_guide, which is otherwise not an especially attractive wilderness subguild.

Nomad and Caravan Guide - by all means. That works very well for me.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870