Subguild w/ Ranger 'Vision'

Started by FantasyWriter, November 16, 2009, 08:15:00 AM

I support Caravan Guide getting it. 

I agree with Gimf that nomads should not get it.  Navigation is central to the caravan guide subguild.  Moving about every few months with your family in the scrub for the first 15 years of your life doesn't mean you can handle southern sandstorms.  But, beyond logic, I think limiting it to one subguild keeps the rarity of the ability while increasing options for character concepts and role flexibility. 

... and hey, I actually have a caravan guide concept I've been wanting to try, but the main guild wouldn't be ranger, so I haven't tried it because of the sandstorm issue ...
Quote from: Synthesis
Quote from: lordcooper
You go south and one of the other directions that isn't north.  That is seriously the limit of my geographical knowledge of Arm.
Sarge?

I'm just going to mention that I haven't used any subguild to my knowledge that didn't infer some type of benefit to the character.  IE Hunter to play part ranger, or Linguist to speak all those languages or Thief to steal.

Caravan guide just didn't seem to be at all attractive, if this change is made, it would open up the world of apps I've had in mind for Warrior/Ranger hybrids and that would be excellent.

If not for roleplaying reasons, I'd like another class with the ability to travel through sandstorms just so people don't instantly spot Guild_Ranger when someone can move through a storm without getting blown away.

A Caravan Guide makes the most sense since he/she is responsible for leading CARAVANS and what-not, through the desert.
Quote from: LauraMars
Quote from: brytta.leofaLaura, did weird tribal men follow you around at age 15?
If by weird tribal men you mean Christians then yes.

Quote from: Malifaxis
She was teabagging me.

My own mother.

I am noobish, but it seems to me that "caravan guide" seems like a subguild with rather limited use.  Only if you're playing a leader PC of a merchant house or something.  This might make it a little more useful, or would it imbalance?

Quote from: MarshallDFX on November 16, 2009, 02:53:59 PM
I am noobish, but it seems to me that "caravan guide" seems like a subguild with rather limited use.  Only if you're playing a leader PC of a merchant house or something.  This might make it a little more useful, or would it imbalance?

It is of limited use in my opinion.

Then again, sometimes you pick them just because they fit your character and grumble, grumble, grumble.

Brandon
Quote from: Ghost on December 16, 2009, 06:15:17 PM
brandon....

you did the biggest mistake of your life

Also, this might further liven up Red Storm.  It would allow characters that have lived all their life in a pretty much 24/7 sandstorm to not get lost the moment they set foot in their backyard.
Quote from: Synthesis
Quote from: lordcooper
You go south and one of the other directions that isn't north.  That is seriously the limit of my geographical knowledge of Arm.
Sarge?

Having caravan guides who are actually able to guide caravans does make sense. Give 'em sandstorm nav.

Quote from: a strange shadow on November 16, 2009, 03:10:30 PM
Having caravan guides who are actually able to guide caravans does make sense.

Could not have been worded better at all. :D
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

I'm a fan of this idea. 

I do agree with those who think it should be just caravan guides though, and not nomads, because it would seem to suit caravan guides twice as well, and seems to me like it would give that subguild more viability.   And I also don't think everybody and their brother should have it, or it would stop being special.
Former player as of 2/27/23, sending love.

I'm going to jump in right now and say I endorse this even more.

Brandon
Quote from: Ghost on December 16, 2009, 06:15:17 PM
brandon....

you did the biggest mistake of your life

While we're on a similar topic:

subclass scavenger should get forage_food.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

I also agree with this. And nomad, too. In fact, nomad should have this more than they should have 'ranger vision'.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

this is an agreeable thread. More like these plz!
"You will have useful work: the destruction of evil men. What work could be more useful? This is Beyond; you will find that your work is never done -- So therefore you may never know a life of peace."

~Jack Vance~

Now I wonder what the Staff thinks about this.

:-\
Quote from: LauraMars
Quote from: brytta.leofaLaura, did weird tribal men follow you around at age 15?
If by weird tribal men you mean Christians then yes.

Quote from: Malifaxis
She was teabagging me.

My own mother.

Quote from: a strange shadow on November 16, 2009, 03:10:30 PM
Having caravan guides who are actually able to guide caravans does make sense. Give 'em sandstorm nav.

Like FW said, this is about as tight a line of argument as you're going to find on the GDB.   :)  Fully agree.
No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.

- Eleanor Roosevelt

Quote from: Rotten on November 16, 2009, 12:47:01 PM
No.  The ranger's immunity from directional randomness has more far-reaching effects than storms.  It would be pretty bad.  Trust me.

If it would be that bad, you should send an email to staff so that these problems can be addressed. We probably have more rangers in the game at any given time than any other guild, but I can't say I've ever seen this abused.

+1 to the idea. Let them eat cake guide caravans.
And I vanish into the dark
And rise above my station

All characters should be able to learn how to travel in a sandstorm. It isn't reasonable that it should be some sort of genetic trait that some people just know but can only be learned up to some point in your life and then never again. I'm not sure what skill to tie it into currently (ride seems the only marginally plausible one, and even then not really) but it should not just be granted to some subguild because it would only tone the problem down one notch, and then everyone would take that subguild.

Quote from: Good Gortok on November 17, 2009, 03:01:15 AM
All characters should be able to learn how to travel in a sandstorm. It isn't reasonable that it should be some sort of genetic trait that some people just know but can only be learned up to some point in your life and then never again. I'm not sure what skill to tie it into currently (ride seems the only marginally plausible one, and even then not really) but it should not just be granted to some subguild because it would only tone the problem down one notch, and then everyone would take that subguild.

I agree. Everytime you get turned around in a sandstorm, you should become a little better at navigating them.

There's other stuff in the game that works similarly. Like resistance to being reeled.

Stick to the Ranger Vision idea, though, there's another full-on class that should get it, if you ask me.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

I don't think nomads should get it, for reasons Gimf already expressed ... though I find it annoying to no end that human tribals have to take that subguild in order to be a tribal while desert elves are free to subguild whatever they want ... as if desert elves needed more advantages. I wish human tribals were a seperate race option instead of a subguild.

I also just have to point out that there are other, all be it karma required, classes that are able to shrug off the misdirectional effects of sandstorms and darkness, so it isn't a 100% tell tale sign that someone is a ranger if they can move through a sandstorm ... it is a 100% tell tale sign if they quit out in a room not flagged for quitting, however.

And just to be the first to disagree with the OP, I have to say I'm not sure that caravan guides need the ability either, mostly because, unless I'm mistaken (and hey I very well may be!) guiding a caravan (wagon, argosy, yargosy, what have you) takes place inside the transport in the pilot's chamber, safe from the worries of the storm outside, doesn't it? It seems to me like they can already pilot a transport through a sandstorm because of that ... and if their primary method of weathering the storm has always been to be safe and snug inside a pilot's deck, then I can see them being turned upside down when caught in the storm with only a facewrap between them.
Quote from: Marauder Moe
Oh my god he's still rocking the sandwich.

Heh, thanks for your ATS post, Cerelum.
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

November 17, 2009, 08:17:50 AM #47 Last Edit: November 17, 2009, 10:29:16 AM by X-D
No subguild should get it.

The ability is quite powerful and if a subguild could get it then some main guilds that should never be allowed to have such a thing, if only for balance reasons, would.

And nomad? My god, nomads are a people or culture. They travel in groups not one at a time. Definitly not. When the camp moves, the rangers/hunters lead...Duh.

No, really, I do not feel sorry for anybody who picks other then ranger on a wilderness PC, that is what you picked bub, he is just not quite as good in the wilderness...for whatever reason.

Now, I'm not against somebody learning storm travel over the course of 10-20 years play.

Or Mundane classes who are willing to give up at least 3 main class skills for it.

Otherwise, Pick class ranger, Or have a ranger friend, or hire a ranger.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

To Musashi's point - are caravan guides currently able to guide caravans through storms as he describes?  I'm honestly not sure.  I thought not, but it's been a goodly while since I've been in that role.  (Might be a "Find out IC" situation, but there's really nowhere more that facet of the discussion can go if it is.)
No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.

- Eleanor Roosevelt

Quote from: musashi on November 17, 2009, 04:47:57 AM
I don't think nomads should get it, for reasons Gimf already expressed ... though I find it annoying to no end that human tribals have to take that subguild in order to be a tribal while desert elves are free to subguild whatever they want ... as if desert elves needed more advantages. I wish human tribals were a seperate race option instead of a subguild.

I also just have to point out that there are other, all be it karma required, classes that are able to shrug off the misdirectional effects of sandstorms and darkness, so it isn't a 100% tell tale sign that someone is a ranger if they can move through a sandstorm ... it is a 100% tell tale sign if they quit out in a room not flagged for quitting, however.

And just to be the first to disagree with the OP, I have to say I'm not sure that caravan guides need the ability either, mostly because, unless I'm mistaken (and hey I very well may be!) guiding a caravan (wagon, argosy, yargosy, what have you) takes place inside the transport in the pilot's chamber, safe from the worries of the storm outside, doesn't it? It seems to me like they can already pilot a transport through a sandstorm because of that ... and if their primary method of weathering the storm has always been to be safe and snug inside a pilot's deck, then I can see them being turned upside down when caught in the storm with only a facewrap between them.

Just for the record: Only Benjari and independent (non-coded) tribes have to take nomad as a subguild. Arabet, Al'Seik, etc. all have to be applied for through the clan immortal to receive their accents and language.