Truncation warning

Started by Dar, November 03, 2009, 07:18:10 AM

Sometimes ... you just get talkative. Or add too much of an emote and too much text together. And you get ... truncated. Which is generally no big deal, and I know many expert players know when to stop. And some clients prevent it somehow by themselves. But ... some players dont, and some clients dont. And personally I find it a bit jarring when I do it, or when others do it near me.

So ... a simple suggestion. A toggle option of truncation warning. Something like ... if you typed out that would be truncated. Whether a say or an emote, or a wish up, or a bug command. Instead of letting it go through, it would block it and return this echo (It would be truncated). Giving you the chance of editing things out if you so desired. Make it toggleable, so if someone doesnt care or doesnt have the problem, they can toggle it off and it'd work the way it does now.

I would use the hell out of this.
Quote from: Wug
No one on staff is just waiting for the opportunity to get revenge on someone who killed one of their characters years ago.

Except me. I remember every death. And I am coming for you bastards.

Quote from: AmandaGreathouse on November 03, 2009, 09:27:17 AM
I would use the hell out of this.

I, one hundred percent would use the hell out of this too.
Quote from: Marauder Moe on November 07, 2009, 08:28:40 PM
Quote from: Riev on November 07, 2009, 08:27:17 PM
Nothing like seeing a raptor as a "hooded figure" wielding a flail.

Clever girl...

I just wish that when speaking it didn't take the pre-emote length in mind.  I ALWAYS hit the limit while speaking and it's normally only by a few words so then I end up having to do:

say (continuing) ....whatever it was that got cut off.

So, yes.  I wish there was something and I do not like the idea of a warning though.  Then it will just delay the scene and cause me to have to go and rewrite what I want which would be a pain in the ass.

Just up the character limit that is able to go through for speaking.

Brandon
Quote from: Ghost on December 16, 2009, 06:15:17 PM
brandon....

you did the biggest mistake of your life

I too hate trunication, let my long-winded pcs be longwinded!

FuSoYa's example is something that happens to me in almost every scene. I admit to being very wordy at times, so I'm always having to split statements into two (or more) segments. Second nature for someone whose roots are in MUSH/MUX! Taking the action portion out of the equation would be a great change.

I'd like it if we could toggle the truncation off, personally, but I can see how this wouldn't be feasible.

Truncation is in place to prevent over-sized packets, which can crash the MUD.  That being said, I think the ability to toggle whether or not strings that would be truncated actually go through would be GREAT.
Quote from: ZoltanWhen in doubt, play dangerous, awkward or intense situations to the hilt, every time.

The Official GDB Hate Cycle

Quote from: Aaron Goulet on November 03, 2009, 01:19:10 PM
Truncation is in place to prevent over-sized packets, which can crash the MUD. 

Perhaps in some situations but I do not think that applies in this one Aaron.  (Granted I'm not a programmer/coder)

I think it's an issue that NOBODY wants (well very few might but the majority do not) 4-5-6-7 sentence paragraph emotes.

I think in the case of talking though when the emote action is added to the speech it can make it so you have barely any room to actually say what you are trying to say.

I petition that this gets bumped up or the emote tags in say/talk/whisper/et cetera are not counted against the total characters allowed in conversation.

Brandon
brandon....

Quote from: FuSoYa on November 03, 2009, 02:35:20 PM

Perhaps in some situations but I do not think that applies in this one Aaron.  (Granted I'm not a programmer/coder)

I think it's an issue that NOBODY wants (well very few might but the majority do not) 4-5-6-7 sentence paragraph emotes.

I think in the case of talking though when the emote action is added to the speech it can make it so you have barely any room to actually say what you are trying to say.

I petition that this gets bumped up or the emote tags in say/talk/whisper/et cetera are not counted against the total characters allowed in conversation.

Brandon

Sorry, let me clarify on what I was trying to say:  The game has a set input buffer size;  you get the truncation message when your sent input exceeds the buffer.  It's not a restriction put in place to reduce emote lengths; it's built into all Diku-based MUDs, regardless of input type.
Quote from: ZoltanWhen in doubt, play dangerous, awkward or intense situations to the hilt, every time.

The Official GDB Hate Cycle

Quote from: Aaron Goulet on November 03, 2009, 02:57:13 PM
Quote from: FuSoYa on November 03, 2009, 02:35:20 PM

Brandon

Sorry, let me clarify on what I was trying to say:  The game has a set input buffer size;  you get the truncation message when your sent input exceeds the buffer.  It's not a restriction put in place to reduce emote lengths; it's built into all Diku-based MUDs, regardless of input type.

Yes, but I believe it can be increased with no noticeable problems to the game. 

Any input Morgenes on rather this would decrease the game performance or something like this?

Brandon
brandon....

I don't believe increasing the buffer is such a black and white issue that it's just a matter of looking at whether it can be coded or not (much like other stuff).

There are pros and cons, most of which have nothing to do with stress on game performance.
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.

Our socket code gobbles up data being sent to the mud until it reaches a newline, it doesn't care how much data you send (though there ARE limits, they're much larger than the limit currently being discussed -- which exists, as others have posited, to prevent filibustering maniacs from filling your screen with nonsense).  I think a flag that toggles between "This is too long, maybe you should edit." and "This is too long, here's what we sent:" is a great idea.

-- X

Quote from: Xygax on November 03, 2009, 03:02:37 PM
Our socket code gobbles up data being sent to the mud until it reaches a newline, it doesn't care how much data you send (though there ARE limits, they're much larger than the limit currently being discussed -- which exists, as others have posited, to prevent filibustering maniacs from filling your screen with nonsense).  I think a flag that toggles between "This is too long, maybe you should edit." and "This is too long, here's what we sent:" is a great idea.

-- X

This is not the correct path to take I believe if only for the fact that I think it will slow down gameplay.  If I get a message that what I'm saying is not going to be sent through it will just frustrate me into taking extra time to edit it and either having to re-type it or something of that sort.

Just my opinion though.

Brandon
brandon....

Well, that's why it would be a flag.  If you prefer simply having your stuff sent truncated, you shouldn't enable it.

-- X

Didn't see the flag part, my fault.

That being said, I still think the issue could be better resolved by not counting the characters in an emote when speaking towards the limit on speaking.

Brandon
brandon....

Well, currently the truncation code happens well before actual commands are processed.  It could be reworked to do anything, of course, but it's not a one-liner.  Something like this flag concept would be.

-- X

I think this is a great idea and I would use it, especially on wishes.
Quote from: Oryxin a land...where nothing is as it seems
lol
wait wait
in a harsh desert..wait
in a world...where everything's out to kill you
one man (or woman) stands sort of alone
only not really
lol
KURAC

I like the idea. Might I suggest prefixing commands with t instead of toggling a flag?

tsay
ttell
temote
tphemote
twish

This would allow you to make your choices on the fly.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

Quote from: The7DeadlyVenomz on November 03, 2009, 05:08:00 PM
I like the idea. Might I suggest prefixing commands with t instead of toggling a flag?

tsay
ttell
temote
tphemote
twish

This would allow you to make your choices on the fly.

Sorry but...

The bearded, business-casual dressed male shudders.

Brandon
brandon....

No, you may not suggest that.  :)

As I said above, the current code doesn't know what the command is before it truncates.  Again, that could be added, or "peeked" easily enough, but I'd prefer a minimal change.

-- X

What's the current limit of characters to be sent before truncating?
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

Quote from: Xygax on November 03, 2009, 05:11:54 PM
As I said above, the current code doesn't know what the command is before it truncates.  Again, that could be added, or "peeked" easily enough, but I'd prefer a minimal change.

-- X

A hotfix might be nice temporarily but I do not think it does anything alleviate the underlying issue that some of us have. 

Maybe the problem is I just need to not emote when I'm talking with others... I mean, it's not like my character is making movements or anything while they talk.

I also do not know why I'm now getting all worked up over this.

Brandon
brandon....

Quote from: FuSoYa on November 03, 2009, 06:08:58 PM
Quote from: Xygax on November 03, 2009, 05:11:54 PM

-- X
A hotfix might be nice temporarily but I do not think it does anything alleviate the underlying issue with mudsex emotes that some of us have.

Brandon

Fixed!

What I did to solve it for myself (and it seems to always work):

Make your input box large enough for three lines to be typed inside.
Make sure you don't type more than will fit in the box.
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

If your emote is so long that it'd get truncated, definitely agree it shouldn't be sent, that's just a pain.

Don't mind long speeches been truncated though... it gives you an opportunity to interrupt a speech, which I've always thought was neat.