Truncation warning

Started by Dar, November 03, 2009, 07:18:10 AM

I think this is unnecessary for speech.
Quote from: FuSoYa on November 03, 2009, 10:03:06 AM
say (continuing) ....whatever it was that got cut off.
Just do this.

It would be useful if emotes that would be truncated were simply not sent by default.  Still, I think we need no toggle option.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

And that's why -you- would not turn the toggle on.  I don't understand why you guys argue against the implementation of features that could potentially improve our game's UI for other people whose brains operate differently than yours, when the feature doesn't affect you at all, if you choose not to use it.  Truly, why do you care?

-- X

Quote from: Xygax on November 04, 2009, 04:54:33 PM
And that's why -you- would not turn the toggle on.  I don't understand why you guys argue against the implementation of features that could potentially improve our game's UI for other people whose brains operate differently than yours, when the feature doesn't affect you at all, if you choose not to use it.  Truly, why do you care?

I believe the reasoning is:

-- Staff time is a scarce resource.
-- This feature would not be valuable to me personally.
-- Other (possibly undefined) features would be valuable to me personally.
-- Therefore, I do not want staff time to be used on this feature.

Note that I believe this line of reasoning is often fully unconscious, and is expressed along the lines of "We don't need this."
Quote from: Vanth on February 13, 2008, 05:27:50 PM
I'm gonna go all Gimfalisette on you guys and lay down some numbers.

This debate reminds me of the color debate.

"We don't need no stinkin' colors!" / "We need colors!" Either way, you please everyone by adding the option for colors. And guess what, there's the option for colors in Arm2.

It's the same thing here. If you have trouble with truncating, turn it on. If you like the way it is, turn it off. And as Xygax seemed to say before, adding the toggle would be so simple that the generic "staff's attention should be focused elsewhere" argument wouldn't work.

So, I was able to emote something with 245 characters in it.

That's 24 ten letter words.
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

I never really saw a truncated emote. I just added it for ... the hell of it. Now ... emote+speech in one command, gets truncated all the damn time. And you cant prevent truncation for the emote+speech either. First of all due to code, and second of all simply to avoid a near 500 letter paragraphs (245 character emote, and 245 character speech).

So yeah. Just a toggle. It'll fix the problem for those who have it, and wont bother those who dont.

Gimf hit it on the head.  I think there is a simpler solution than the idea suggested.  I suggested an alternative for emotes and a workaround for speech.

However, I have more to say about it...

Having a truncation warning, I think it would be a BAD thing for speech, incidentally.  I believe you will see people getting the truncation warning, adding a ';' in the middle, at a good separation point, followed by adding in another 'say' command immediately after that ';' meaning that there is very little difference between having the toggle and just increasing the length of communication allowed.  Having it truncate speech without warning means that the person then has to scramble to get that last part out before someone interrupts them.  I think that the current length allowed by speech commands represents the characters' need to breathe occasionally and makes it possible for characters to be interrupted, which is a good thing for interaction.

A truncation warning for emotes?  Good.

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

Quote from: spawnloser on November 05, 2009, 05:25:27 PM
Gimf hit it on the head.  I think there is a simpler solution than the idea suggested.  I suggested an alternative for emotes and a workaround for speech.

However, I have more to say about it...

Having a truncation warning, I think it would be a BAD thing for speech, incidentally.  I believe you will see people getting the truncation warning, adding a ';' in the middle, at a good separation point, followed by adding in another 'say' command immediately after that ';' meaning that there is very little difference between having the toggle and just increasing the length of communication allowed.  Having it truncate speech without warning means that the person then has to scramble to get that last part out before someone interrupts them.  I think that the current length allowed by speech commands represents the characters' need to breathe occasionally and makes it possible for characters to be interrupted, which is a good thing for interaction.

A truncation warning for emotes?  Good.

How does the warning for says make it any different? It doesnt allow them to speak more then they now can. So they would "still" scramble to finish up, and they would "still" be vulnerable to interruption. The only difference, is that it'll feel less jarring and annoying to everyone, or at the very least ... me.

Shouldnt be too difficult to add either. Though ofcourse a real coder would know better. But it looks like it's just a single "if" statement, and another flag in the nosave array.

No, if you would get warned of the say being too long, you would have the option to split before it sent to everyone.  You could send it in a way that prevents interruption part of the way through.  If it just truncated and the person speaking had to scramble to get the rest out, it causes a delay that I think is GOOD because it, in many ways, represents the character having to take a breath after running his/her mouth for so long already.

How does this constitute "running their mouth for too long?"

Averting her gaze, the tressy-tressed woman opens her mouth as though to speak. She then shuts it. And then opens it again, and takes a deep breath. In a wavering, unsure tone, the tressy tressed woman says, in tress-accented sirihish, "No."
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

That's a separate issue, the emote counting toward the limit.  I never said I was opposed to having the emote not count towards the limit.  I am just opposed to having a truncation warning for speech, as in the speaking part.

Quote from: spawnloser on November 07, 2009, 08:33:00 PM
That's a separate issue, the emote counting toward the limit.  I never said I was opposed to having the emote not count towards the limit.  I am just opposed to having a truncation warning for speech, as in the speaking part.

That's the problem. It 'isnt' a seperate issue. Due to code anyway. You notice how when you use emote commands in says, it doesnt add to trunctation limit? There is no "easy" way to make the emote and say be seperate commands. While the warning should be pretty easy.