New mount code?

Started by Veges, October 08, 2009, 04:34:58 PM

"You fall off an inix." What the hell is this? Some kind of new mount code? Apparently while traveling in any terrain that isn't a road, you have what appears to be a 50% chance to fall off your mount every time you move from one room to another, losing 5-10 health and becoming dismounted. This makes off-road movement utterly unplayable. I had to move ten rooms across flat desert and lost 30 health, not to mention the frustration of having to mount up again every other step. This was definitely not the case last time I played a character who left the city.

Your still at very low skill then.

At max normal skill (IE, not a class or sub or race that gets uber ride) I've never fallen off more then 1 time in 30 rough terrain rooms.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

Then it might be bugged. My character is of a race known for their riding skills and doesn't get the "refuses to move" message at all. Whatever the case, I have to seriously question the idea of falling off one's mount every other room, and especially the fact that it costs a significant amount of health each time. It utterly destroys playability and isn't even remotely realistic.

It helps on large rides, where the newbie only has to get back on their mount, rather than have the whole party wait while they try to move a thousand times.

- "Refuses to move" has, afaik, been mostly replaced with these "more interesting" messages.
- Fallin' off your critter hurts.
- It might be unrealistic for your PC to be that much perseverant.
- Yeah, maybe your PC is bugged.
- Maybe yer critter ain't been broke proper. You buy him off an elf?
- Maybe 'gickers hexeded your critter.
The sword is sharp, the spear is long,
The arrow swift, the Gate is strong.
The heart is bold that looks on gold;
The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.

Please re-read the helpfile on ride.  It details several percautions you can take (such as slowing your mount down and riding with both hands free) that can improve yourchances to the point that you should rarely get the falling off result.  If this continues to be an issue, mailmea log of a sample ride as well as your character's name and account.
Morgenes

Producer
Armageddon Staff

Quote from: Morgenes on October 09, 2009, 01:22:49 AM
Please re-read the helpfile on ride.  It details several percautions you can take (such as slowing your mount down and riding with both hands free) that can improve yourchances to the point that you should rarely get the falling off result.  If this continues to be an issue, mailmea log of a sample ride as well as your character's name and account.

Riding with both hands on the reins, in particular, will save your rump a lot of unnecessary pain.  This makes sense, especially if you're a n00b rider.  And before someone goes comparing riding a sunback to Western-style, real-world horseback riding.... NO COMPARISON.
Quote from: ZoltanWhen in doubt, play dangerous, awkward or intense situations to the hilt, every time.

The Official GDB Hate Cycle

Real riders ride kanks.

Too bad they're all dead. The riders, that is.

If it's still bad, solve it IG. Offer to pay for lessons, have someone teach you, etc.
Quote from: Niamh on September 24, 2009, 02:28:12 PM
Remember, you're never in trouble if you don't get caught!

Quote from: Wyx on June 28, 2009, 07:59:17 PM
Besides, the players know best

The difficulty level of some terrains seems a little off.

There's a certain area of "flat, barren plains" that's actually more difficult to ride through than "the looming, steep-sided desert dunes" nearby.

Also:  the new mount code may have been intended to make it easier for large groups with newbies to move around, but all it does is make it several degrees more frustrating.  You can stop and wait for a newbie to catch up pretty easily.  Stopping and waiting for them to recover their HP (after falling repeatedly) or their stamina (after they give up and just start walking) is quite a bit more time-consuming than the old "refuses to move" thing.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

Quote from: Synthesis on October 15, 2009, 01:42:32 PM
The difficulty level of some terrains seems a little off.

There's a certain area of "flat, barren plains" that's actually more difficult to ride through than "the looming, steep-sided desert dunes" nearby.

Also:  the new mount code may have been intended to make it easier for large groups with newbies to move around, but all it does is make it several degrees more frustrating.  You can stop and wait for a newbie to catch up pretty easily.  Stopping and waiting for them to recover their HP (after falling repeatedly) or their stamina (after they give up and just start walking) is quite a bit more time-consuming than the old "refuses to move" thing.

The "refuse to move" thing is still around, if you're saying that it's been replaced.

October 19, 2009, 08:51:08 PM #10 Last Edit: October 19, 2009, 08:58:24 PM by jmordetsky
Quote from: Morgenes on October 09, 2009, 01:22:49 AM
Please re-read the helpfile on ride.  It details several percautions you can take (such as slowing your mount down and riding with both hands free) that can improve yourchances to the point that you should rarely get the falling off result.  If this continues to be an issue, mailmea log of a sample ride as well as your character's name and account.

Hey - I know this is an older thread, but it had been a bit since I've played and I recently logged in and was teaching a n00b to play. We're riding along and I'm like - why is my health and stam going down. Turns out I guess we were falling off our mounts and I just didn't notice.

One thing I would suggest is maybe a message with a check for both hands on the reins like: with only one hand on the reins you lose your grip and fall. I suggest this because - a) There is no way I would have went to read the docs :) and b) As obvious as it is to ride with 2 hands, I probably wouldn't have thought about that without reading this and c) There is no way my n00by little friend would have even realized he wasn't on his mount.

Edit: If it already says this then pls ignore.

Edit: I just thought about this - if you get thrown from your mount do you land on your feet? Wouldn't it stop you from moving? If so - what would have caused hp loss? Storms? I'll review it again later...sorry for the confusion. Need to pay more attention.
If you gaze for long enough into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

www.j03m.com

If you see your mount arrive after you, it means you fell off.

Of course, if you didn't 'hitch' it before heading off, it will remain in the room you moved from.

In either case, you won't continue to lose hitpoints unless you re-mount and fail again.

Unless there's some abject failure level that I've never encountered.

I can understand the questioning on whether the ride code is a little wonki. I saw a 70+ warrior fall off their mount three or four times in a row, Riding both hands. Strange I thought then snickered.
The funny little foreign man

I often hear the jingle to -Riunite on ice- when I read the estate name Reynolte, eve though there ain't no ice in Zalanthas.

Quote from: Potaje on October 23, 2009, 12:26:51 AM
I can understand the questioning on whether the ride code is a little wonki. I saw a 70+ warrior fall off their mount three or four times in a row, Riding both hands. Strange I thought then snickered.

If your mount is set to running, you're in mountainous or forested terrain, and you don't have maxed-ranger-level ride, this is only slightly on the unlikely side.  That being said, my current PC (a warrior) only fell off several times the day immediately following the change, then Morgenes re-balanced some things and I've never fallen off since, even running while dual-wielding through some fairly rough (not the roughest) terrain.

Could it be made to cost stun instead of hit points or something? At the frequency with which this happens for medium-skilled riders, the health loss is crippling. It also deals about as much damage as being struck lightly+ with a sword, about 5-8 or so. As we all know, trying to recover a third of your health outdoors on a very hot day can take an hour, and the idea itself is not even remotely realistic - only a person paralyzed from the neck down would fall off a walking mount every couple hundred feet.

Quote from: Veges on October 26, 2009, 05:10:23 AM
Could it be made to cost stun instead of hit points or something? At the frequency with which this happens for medium-skilled riders, the health loss is crippling. It also deals about as much damage as being struck lightly+ with a sword, about 5-8 or so. As we all know, trying to recover a third of your health outdoors on a very hot day can take an hour, and the idea itself is not even remotely realistic - only a person paralyzed from the neck down would fall off a walking mount every couple hundred feet.

This is true. My first time riding a rather untrained gelding, I only fell off at an extremely fast gallop. At all other times, I faced no danger of falling.

In over 100 hours of riding, I've never fallen off. And I've ridden some very rough horses.

Your Gelding was never being chased by a lizard as big as a clydesdale or a seven foot tall elf with etheopian running talents in the middle of a sand dune strewn world while sand whipped around so fast and hard you could see more then a few feet in front of you.

Quote from: Adiadochokinesis on October 26, 2009, 05:21:56 AM
Quote from: Veges on October 26, 2009, 05:10:23 AM

This is true. My first time riding a rather untrained gelding, I only fell off at an extremely fast gallop. At all other times, I faced no danger of falling.

In over 100 hours of riding, I've never fallen off. And I've ridden some very rough horses.

I was going to be slly and post a reply something the likes of:

INSERT "BUT THIS IS ZALANTHAS SO EVERYTHING IS DIFFERENT AND SOMEHOW YOUR APPLICABALE EXPERIENCE DOESN'T COUNT BECAUSE OF THIS CATCH-ALL EXCUSE.

Then I decided not to ... but it's kind of funny that that was the first reply you got anyway  :D
Quote from: Marauder Moe
Oh my god he's still rocking the sandwich.

I have to say, even with the falling, I like the new mount code a heckuva lot better than the old.

Your mount refuses to move.
To the north, a male voice shouts, in sirihish,
  "Get a horse!"
The sword is sharp, the spear is long,
The arrow swift, the Gate is strong.
The heart is bold that looks on gold;
The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.

Quote from: brytta.leofa on October 26, 2009, 08:34:59 AM
I have to say, even with the falling, I like the new mount code a heckuva lot better than the old.

Agreed. The falling damage may be a touch too extreme, but otherwise I love the change.
Quote from: nessalin on July 11, 2016, 02:48:32 PM
Trunk
hidden by 'body/torso'
hides nipples

its no prob if you take certain precautions when riding.

i've had noob warriors that get on a mount for the first time, and go for a long ride, and never fall. now people have moved to fast a few times, but not fallen
I remember recruiting this Half elf girl. And IMMEDIATELY taking her out on a contract. Right as we go into this gith hole I tell her "Remember your training, and you'll be fine." and she goes "I have no training." Then she died

I think the damage incurred from "falling" from your mount should be semi-similiar to what type of damage you would receive if someone codedly "hit" you (Barehanded). Only 1-2 loss of health while losing maybe 5-10 stun. Stun recovers MUCH faster then health, no matter where you are, and I'd rather have to use a vial to wake someone up then to have to bandage their suddenly "critical condition" wounds (if they were dumb enough to keep riding).
Quote from: LauraMars
Quote from: brytta.leofaLaura, did weird tribal men follow you around at age 15?
If by weird tribal men you mean Christians then yes.

Quote from: Malifaxis
She was teabagging me.

My own mother.

Errr. Okay, as a recent victim of moving three rooms and losing a quarter of my hitpoints; I'd just like to say this is fucking stupid.

I'll come roleplay with you all in a few hours, when my hp replenishes.

While you're sitting around, why don't you mail me a log of what you did, and include any extra information like how many hands you had free and what speed you were travelling at and I'll examine your case.
Morgenes

Producer
Armageddon Staff

January 16, 2010, 09:45:59 AM #24 Last Edit: January 16, 2010, 09:47:48 AM by RogueGunslinger
Sorry, got a bit upset there.

The case is with newbie ride, one handed, fell off three times in a row at walking speed just outside allanak before I even realized that the damage was so great each time.

I'm not upset that I fell off three times in a row, I'm upset that it takes 10 hp per drop. Health is incredibly hard to Regen most of the time in the desert, and since the desert is the only place you seem to fall off... Yeah the levels of HP drop just seem too great, especially for those races and people who don't roll good endurance.