Request for Feedback: Trample

Started by Morgenes, July 27, 2009, 08:37:52 PM

What do you think should be done to trample to better balance it?

remove the post-delay for the victim
5 (10.2%)
increase post-delay for the attacker
5 (10.2%)
reduce chance of it working based on # of people attacking the victim
11 (22.4%)
reduce chance if the victim isn't fighting you
5 (10.2%)
all of the above
11 (22.4%)
rip trample out
12 (24.5%)

Total Members Voted: 49

September 15, 2009, 06:42:11 PM #100 Last Edit: September 15, 2009, 06:43:43 PM by Clearsighted
Quote from: FantasyWriter on September 15, 2009, 05:54:21 PM
-War-beetle?

Less sarcasm: If I remember correctly, compared to your average grey kank, a war beetle was just about what you described.

Heh. Yeah, this.

A war beetle fits the bill exactly. They move about as fast as you can walk, too. The only reason war beetles are so common now, is because they became the next most useful mount for long range journeys after kanks died off, and are cheaper than inix.

I wouldn't mind if trampling/charging took some stamina from the mount, (and a war beetle would be admirably suited to soak it up), if the skill cap on trampling was raised to the point where it was more consistent.

Trampling doesn't even need to be made more powerful. Just raise the skill cap for it.

September 15, 2009, 06:49:19 PM #101 Last Edit: September 15, 2009, 06:51:46 PM by Dar
-War-beetle?

Less sarcasm: If I remember correctly, compared to your average grey kank, a war beetle was just about what you described.

... A war beetle is "one" of the best 'casual use' mounts. It might've been 'ment' to be what I described, but ... it isnt.

To add to the list of qualities Clearsighted mentioned, they also have .. bzzzt IC info. But yeah ... definately one of the best long range mounts. Them and Inix are about sharing the first step, with various qualities (speed, endurance, packing) varying.

I've had people who've done long range grebbing prefer Beetles over Inix, even if they costed twice as much as Inix do.

-War-beetle?

Your average grey kank is dead, though.
A dark-shelled scrab pinches at you, but you dodge out of the way.
A dark-shelled scrab brandishes its bone-handled, obsidian scimitar.
A dark-shelled scrab holds its bloodied wicked-edged, bone scimitar.

I'm just glad trample actually functions now at all, instead of it always failing like it did the first month or so of it being in game.

That said I think it's finethe way it works currently. It seems to me like the person being trampled has more than enough chance to avoid it; if I'm reading the coded echoes right I've seen it get avoided outright, and I've also seen my PC's mount successfully pull off the trample, only to have the victim pull off a saving throw and "get out from under it" at the last moment. Also, it seems you can't trample things of a certain size, and you also can't trample things if lots of other folks are already fighting it.

I think we have a pretty healthy list of limitations for the skill already.
Quote from: Marauder Moe
Oh my god he's still rocking the sandwich.

Quote from: musashi on September 15, 2009, 07:01:18 PM
I'm just glad trample actually functions now at all, instead of it always failing like it did the first month or so of it being in game.

That said I think it's finethe way it works currently. It seems to me like the person being trampled has more than enough chance to avoid it; if I'm reading the coded echoes right I've seen it get avoided outright, and I've also seen my PC's mount successfully pull off the trample, only to have the victim pull off a saving throw and "get out from under it" at the last moment. Also, it seems you can't trample things of a certain size, and you also can't trample things if lots of other folks are already fighting it.

I think we have a pretty healthy list of limitations for the skill already.

How would you feel about raising the skill cap on it, Musahi? At least for a class like warrior or such. Or maybe tying it with 'ride'. (I.E, whatever level of skill your guild/subguild allows, trample should equal it.)

I ... dunno. Honestly.

I mean, mounted combat has been given a LOT of love recently and to be honest, I'm pretty content with it the way things are now. I have noticed that my PC can, for example, completely OWN a certain type of critter while mounted, but have his ass royally kicked by the same critter if caught on his own two feet. Mind you, I'm playing a ranger, not a warrior, but my point is that I think mounted combat has been given a lot of cool bonuses to counteract the fact that charging can only be done pre-combat now. I feel like at the moment, the pro's and con's are about balanced out.

Has anyone even reached the max of the skill to even 'discuss' the cap?

Quote from: musashi on September 15, 2009, 07:28:41 PM
I ... dunno. Honestly.

I mean, mounted combat has been given a LOT of love recently and to be honest, I'm pretty content with it the way things are now. I have noticed that my PC can, for example, completely OWN a certain type of critter while mounted, but have his ass royally kicked by the same critter if caught on his own two feet. Mind you, I'm playing a ranger, not a warrior, but my point is that I think mounted combat has been given a lot of cool bonuses to counteract the fact that charging can only be done pre-combat now. I feel like at the moment, the pro's and con's are about balanced out.

I definitely love the changes to mounted combat as well.

Quote from: Dar on September 15, 2009, 07:48:50 PM
Has anyone even reached the max of the skill to even 'discuss' the cap?

I'm sure that many have. It's not hard to acquire.

I still haven't pulled off a successful trample against anything that wasn't mortally wounded already.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

Quote from: Synthesis on September 15, 2009, 10:55:53 PM
I still haven't pulled off a successful trample against anything that wasn't mortally wounded already.

QQ more!

I'm just kidding man. I know your pain, it happened with my guy for the longest damn time but then, FINALLY, he started being able to do it. It's still only every once in awhile, like 3 times out of 10, but I did notice that slowly but surely he was getting better.

Quote from: Clearsighted on September 15, 2009, 08:14:18 PM
I'm sure that many have. It's not hard to acquire.

Aquire yes. But Trample is an actual 'skill' right? Meaning ... you improve it aswell. So the question was has anyone "reached" the current cap yet, to make the discussion of "raising" it feasable?

I guess only staff can answer that.

I'd have to say, realistically, that it's been in long enough for someone to max it, but that it's not been working long enough to have solid results that could validate any argument with empirical evidence, yet.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

I've still yet to get a successful trample, and I have a 30 day ranger who HAD max charge before. Now charge almost never works either. Neither ever work for me.

Why did trample start out at 0 for those of us that already had characters who've already coded maxed it? Can we email the imms about fixing this?
The man asks you:
     "'Bout damn time, lol.  She didn't bang you up too bad, did she?"
The man says, ooc:
     "OG did i jsut do that?"

Quote from: Shalooonsh
I love the players of this game.
That's not a random thought either.

for the record, I've seen lots of successful tramples, even early on the skill.

If yours is not working...I'd definitly talk to staff on the matter.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

Quote from: X-D on September 16, 2009, 09:16:02 PM
for the record, I've seen lots of successful tramples, even early on the skill.

If yours is not working...I'd definitly talk to staff on the matter.

This. I mailed ... now mine works fine.

Quote from: tortall on September 16, 2009, 09:06:18 PM
I've still yet to get a successful trample, and I have a 30 day ranger who HAD max charge before. Now charge almost never works either. Neither ever work for me.

Why did trample start out at 0 for those of us that already had characters who've already coded maxed it? Can we email the imms about fixing this?

Funny, I never had this problem on my Delf-assassin-caravan guide
Two dwarves get into a small fist-fray over who owns a pile of dung at the roadside.

You think:
     "Get your shit together"

Trample's skill is capped based on your attributes, not your guild.  So if you think your trample skill is maxed and isn't high enough, it's likely you aren't (smart/fast/strong/endurant) enough [yes I'm intentionally being oblique about which stat it's based off of].
Morgenes

Producer
Armageddon Staff

All of my dude's stats are above average, and I still suck at it?
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

Quote from: Synthesis on September 25, 2009, 10:52:06 PM
All of my dude's stats are above average, and I still suck at it?

send me your account name and character name and a log of you sucking at it and I will investigate.
Morgenes

Producer
Armageddon Staff

Stats don't matter!

oh, right....
Quote from: ZhairaI don't really have a problem with drugs OR sex
Quote from: MansaMarc's got the best advice.
Quote from: WarriorPoetIf getting loaded and screwing is wrong, I don't wanna be right.

Quote from: Marc on September 26, 2009, 12:19:44 AM
Stats don't matter!

oh, right....

Ahem, now then. Stats don't matter.