Pending Change to Charge

Started by Morgenes, June 27, 2009, 03:01:23 PM

Quote from: Riev on July 08, 2009, 10:07:35 PM
What, exactly, is the problem with having to disengage? In multiple-combatant situations, if you are not taking the damage, you can simply type 'disengage;charge man' and do what this has suggested anyways.

The problem is that charge used to be usable even if you were taking the damage: for instance, if a tarantula attacked you.  Now hunters who ride can't use charge as their, shall we say, offensive defense.

Is this more realistic?  (Hush, Lizzie.)  Game-wise, is it bad to make life harder for hunters? Heck if I know.  It's a reasonable change, but it's also one more strike against trying to play a ranger as a warrior.

Quote from: Riev on July 08, 2009, 10:07:35 PM
I ask, because I can't help but think that the people vehemently against this nerf, have been either abusing it in the way staff has suggested, or just want something to complain about.

I totally would disengage if I reeled somebody, too-- ahem.  No, I've never fretted that using the basic combat commands in normal situations could be "abuse."
The sword is sharp, the spear is long,
The arrow swift, the Gate is strong.
The heart is bold that looks on gold;
The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.

I'm not playing a ranger right now, but I'm hanging around with a few. They have no trouble getting off opening charges against aggressive wildlife, eg. raptors and carru.

Okay, I at least get it from reading Brytta's post.

However, paying close attention, you can still at least charge the tarantula once. At least bash can be used multiple times in combat, though it comes with drastic consequences for failure.

I just wonder how a singe post from a Staffer has caused so many pages of argument back and forth. I usually take what Staff says as gospel. Its going to happen, its in line with what they want it to be, and the relatively small percentage of players that is represented by the GDB just seems to disagree every time.
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

July 09, 2009, 12:48:50 AM #153 Last Edit: July 09, 2009, 12:57:45 AM by Morgenes
Not to add fuel to the fire, but more to calm them, we do have more to this change than originally advertised.  Charge is getting an increase in damage to compensate for the loss of being able to do this repeatedly, and to better bring it into our idea of what charge is.

We are altering the penalties with mounted combat to make them be not as harsh, as well as adding increased chances to hit dependent on relative heights.

In addition, we are adding a new skill called trample that will be open to all highly skilled riders (yes, I said all, not just Rangers) that is more intended for trampling someone who is already down, but can be used on someone who is still standing to attempt to knock them down.  The defender will have a stronger chance of defending against this knockdown, and will be able to mitigate the damage somewhat through quick reflexes.

We agree that mounted combat isn't fleshed out enough in Arm1 to really be a viable style, but we hope that these changes will provide some meat and viability to it.  The ideas of weapon reach, and targetted locations changing would require a major change to Arm's combat and balancing to make sure it isn't overpowering.  They are great ideas, but better focused to Arm Reborn.
Morgenes

Producer
Armageddon Staff

Quote from: Morgenes on July 09, 2009, 12:48:50 AM
new skill called trample that will be open to all highly skilled riders

I believe I speak for everyone when I say I can't wait to hear more.
And I vanish into the dark
And rise above my station

The man asks you:
     "'Bout damn time, lol.  She didn't bang you up too bad, did she?"
The man says, ooc:
     "OG did i jsut do that?"

Quote from: Shalooonsh
I love the players of this game.
That's not a random thought either.

Quote from: Riev on July 09, 2009, 12:46:37 AM
However, paying close attention, you can still at least charge the tarantula once.

If you're opening combat...and yeah, if Joe Gith arrives from the west, you do have a good second or few to react before he can attack you.  Some wildlife will hide and attack before you see 'em, though (though rangers have skills to foil that, as well).

Quote from: Riev on July 09, 2009, 12:46:37 AM
I just wonder how a singe post from a Staffer has caused so many pages of argument back and forth. I usually take what Staff says as gospel. Its going to happen, its in line with what they want it to be, and the relatively small percentage of players that is represented by the GDB just seems to disagree every time.

Take any five players and you'll get six opinions on everything, right? ;) Part of it is that we don't see everything that's on the staff's agenda.  Sounds like this change was rolled out ahead of others in order to respond quickly to a particular problem.

Awesomez stuffs

Morgenes I take back all the mean things I said.  :-*

Quote from: Grey Area on July 09, 2009, 12:44:33 AM
I'm not playing a ranger right now, but I'm hanging around with a few. They have no trouble getting off opening charges against aggressive wildlife, eg. raptors and carru.

This is good to hear.

Quote from: Morgenes
AWESOME STUFF

That stuff ... it's awesome. : )
Quote from: Synthesis
Quote from: lordcooper
You go south and one of the other directions that isn't north.  That is seriously the limit of my geographical knowledge of Arm.
Sarge?

Sounds exciting.  This makes me want to play a mounted warrior.

Not to add fuel to the fire, but more to calm them, we do have more to this change than originally advertised.  Charge is getting an increase in damage to compensate for the loss of being able to do this repeatedly, and to better bring it into our idea of what charge is.

We are altering the penalties with mounted combat to make them be not as harsh, as well as adding increased chances to hit dependent on relative heights.

In addition, we are adding a new skill called trample that will be open to all highly skilled riders (yes, I said all, not just Rangers) that is more intended for trampling someone who is already down, but can be used on someone who is still standing to attempt to knock them down.  The defender will have a stronger chance of defending against this knockdown, and will be able to mitigate the damage somewhat through quick reflexes.

We agree that mounted combat isn't fleshed out enough in Arm1 to really be a viable style, but we hope that these changes will provide some meat and viability to it.  The ideas of weapon reach, and targetted locations changing would require a major change to Arm's combat and balancing to make sure it isn't overpowering.  They are great ideas, but better focused to Arm Reborn.

Ahh, Ok.  Thank you.

I'll shut up now.

Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

I like the changes.  Thank you guys for taking the time to go over this code!

So, are there DISADVANTAGES to using mounted combat? Because now it seems like crit shots to the head and neck are more common, and -every- class has a chance to use a "bash".

Just wondering, as this makes footed combat pretty much null.
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

Quote from: Riev on July 09, 2009, 04:16:24 AM
So, are there DISADVANTAGES to using mounted combat? Because now it seems like crit shots to the head and neck are more common, and -every- class has a chance to use a "bash".

the way I see it

New:
foot solider v. foot soldier = same
rider          v. rider           = same
foot solder v. rider (+critical hits -defense -offense) = same

Old:
foot solider v. foot soldier = same
rider          v. rider           = same
foot solder v. rider (-defense -offense) = rider at a disadvantage
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

July 09, 2009, 08:20:40 AM #165 Last Edit: July 09, 2009, 08:24:52 AM by Cutthroat
awesome things

Awesome.

So current characters will automatically get the 'trample' skill if the skill it branches from was already high enough prior to the change?

July 09, 2009, 09:20:56 AM #166 Last Edit: July 09, 2009, 09:59:52 AM by Morgenes
Quote from: Riev on July 09, 2009, 04:16:24 AM

there are disadvantages to mounted combat.  To really see sucess while mounted, you need to be a competant rider and fighter.  Nowhere in my post did I say that mounted combat affects hit location, as a matter of fact my last paragraph says that it would be interesting, but potentially unbalancing and something better timed to Arm 2.  Any current apparent propensity towards head and neck shots is chance.

Also as I said, the new trample skill is not really affective as a bash, so don't expect it to be knocking people down all the time as that wasn't the intention.

Cutthroat, yes existing chars that should have branched trample will get it the next time log in.
Morgenes

Producer
Armageddon Staff

July 09, 2009, 09:33:12 AM #167 Last Edit: July 09, 2009, 09:38:45 AM by brytta.leofa
adding increased chances to hit dependent on relative heights.

So this means, more or less, that a halfling on the ground and a half-giant on an inix will have a hard time reaching each other?  Or...that a mounted human and unmounted half-giant won't have a a hard time reaching?  Things.

Quote from: brytta.leofa on July 09, 2009, 09:33:12 AM
adding increased chances to hit dependent on relative heights.

So this means, more or less, that a halfling on the ground and a half-giant on an inix will have a hard time reaching each other?  Or...that a mounted human and unmounted half-giant won't have a a hard time reaching?  Things.

this means that if you are mounted and relatively taller than your opponent (while mounted), you can get a bonus to hit them.  The mounted half giant can also get a similar bonus to defense.  So to your specific question, the halfling could have a harder time hitting the mounted rider, but the mounted rider can have a better chance of hitting the halfling.  Again, this is not to cover reach, but to allow skilled riders an advantage when fighting relatively smaller opponents from 'higher ground'
Morgenes

Producer
Armageddon Staff

Thank you, Morg.

I am now very pleased with this change.
Quote from: LauraMars
Quote from: brytta.leofaLaura, did weird tribal men follow you around at age 15?
If by weird tribal men you mean Christians then yes.

Quote from: Malifaxis
She was teabagging me.

My own mother.

Quote from: the traveller on July 08, 2009, 09:31:53 PM
Quote from: spawnloser on July 08, 2009, 08:17:28 PM
the traveler, it has nothing to do with knockdown.  You get lagged as the target of a charge and could be charged again before running that lag out.
Umm, isn't that the game effect of knockdown? The lag is in place to prevent a player from immediately standing back up. So when I use the term knockdown, I'm referring to the time until you are functional/back on your feet.
No.  Command lag and knockdown are two different things.  Use clearer terminology.  Be precise.

Getting knocked down is being put on your ass.  Getting command lagged is not being able to do ANYTHING.  Bash accomplishes both things, but while your opponent is knocked down, you can't bash them again.  You can charge them again.

Charge is a maneuver where you don't just bump into them, you fucking run them over stampede style.  You need distance and you can not get that while you and the person you are trying to charge are engaged in combat.  If you want to charge someone, they have to be a distance away from you.  This change as described by Morgenes is realistic.  Explain to me how it is not.  Don't tell me about anything else.  Explain to me how a mount can get up to charging speed when you are within 2 meters of someone.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

Quote from: spawnloser on July 09, 2009, 12:16:24 PM
Charge is a maneuver where you don't just bump into them, you fucking run them over stampede style.  You need distance and you can not get that while you and the person you are trying to charge are engaged in combat.  If you want to charge someone, they have to be a distance away from you.  This change as described by Morgenes is realistic.  Explain to me how it is not.  Don't tell me about anything else.  Explain to me how a mount can get up to charging speed when you are within 2 meters of someone.

That is the definition as it stands now.  Previously, the command and its echo were not clear.

Per the helpfile: "This skill causes a highly skilled rider to attempt to trample an opponent while mounted on an animal."

We're now getting a skill called trample.  It tramples your opponent.  You don't need to get distance.  The old charge resulted in a trample echo.  Thus, it was perfectly reasonable to assume, until the change, that charge wasn't a big distance maneuver - since it resulted in trampling and, hey look, you don't need long distances to trample, do you?

Finally, exactly where did The Traveller say that Morgenes' solution wasn't realistic?  "Be precise," please.   ::)

It strikes me as bizarre to be jumping down peoples' throats in this thread when the imms have brought out a great solution that seems to address the concerns of everyone involved and also to reflect the opinions of both sides, not just yours.  Oh wait, this is the GDB.  I guess it isn't bizarre, unfortunately.
Quote from: Synthesis
Quote from: lordcooper
You go south and one of the other directions that isn't north.  That is seriously the limit of my geographical knowledge of Arm.
Sarge?

I haven't been looking forward to a reboot this much in a long time.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

Well, I will be very much looking forward to seeing this in action.  Now I wonder what this change to sling bullets is all about...
You'll never find a more wretched hive of scum and villany.  Except for maybe Allanak."

-Anonymous

July 10, 2009, 02:09:59 PM #174 Last Edit: July 10, 2009, 08:12:29 PM by FantasyWriter
I'm a goober that cant read.
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.