Burglars, reminder

Started by spawnloser, June 18, 2009, 01:31:22 AM

Quote from: Synthesis on June 18, 2009, 06:23:57 PM
Quote from: elvenchipmunk on June 18, 2009, 12:22:32 PM
If you are being robbed repeatedly, seeking out the nearest crime lord and paying a fee might help to slow down the robbings a bit. Of course it is impossible for a PC to keep track of everyone who is robbing apartments, but they can damn well try, and put an end to it when they find out.

So, paying the criminals in advance not to rob your place in the future is likely the best solution.

Nothing short of Imm involvement can stop an off-peak master burglar, or a master burglar who only does his dirty work off-peak.

Yeah, that's why I used words like "might help" and "it is impossible". Catching someone like that is sometimes beyond the control of your nearest crime lord.
History will be kind to me for I intend to write it.
-Winston Churchill

Pfft.. a true master burglar would be able to rob an apartment while the owner's out to refill his waterskin. And he'd be able to kill the owner too if he gets caught, unless the owner was a master warrior and such. Won't even need to sneak past the guy guarding the apartments.
Quote from: Rahnevyn on March 09, 2009, 03:39:45 PM
Clans can give stat bonuses and penalties, too. The Byn drop in wisdom is particularly notorious.

You want to know how to play a burglar?

Find the show "To Catch a Thief."  Watch it.
Quote from: Dalmeth
I've come to the conclusion that relaxing is not the lack of doing anything, but doing something that comes easily to you.

Someone mentioned that burglars "should" relock doors after picking them open. That's crap. Sometimes, your character who just stole coin, food and equipment from a place just doesn't give a fuck; they got what they want and that's that. That's not poor role-play. Also, maybe the burglar in question doesn't want to risk breaking their precious pick relocking some guy's door? Seriously, when I played a burglar, picks were like god damned unicorns. In fact, that character of mine totally fucked himself over once playing the "nice guy" like that!

I agree that people clearing out even the furniture in an apartment and -walking out with that crap past the guard- is... kind of abusive.
Quote from: nessalin on July 11, 2016, 02:48:32 PM
Trunk
hidden by 'body/torso'
hides nipples

Quote from: Zoltan on June 19, 2009, 04:20:50 PM
Someone mentioned that burglars "should" relock doors after picking them open. That's crap. Sometimes, your character who just stole coin, food and equipment from a place just doesn't give a fuck; they got what they want and that's that. That's not poor role-play. Also, maybe the burglar in question doesn't want to risk breaking their precious pick relocking some guy's door? Seriously, when I played a burglar, picks were like god damned unicorns. In fact, that character of mine totally fucked himself over once playing the "nice guy" like that!

I agree that people clearing out even the furniture in an apartment and -walking out with that crap past the guard- is... kind of abusive.

The problem with not relocking doors, is when you walk into an apartment complex, and all the doors have been unlocked and even remain open. I cannot imagine being in ANY apartment complex where someone doesn't notice a person picking every lock on some 12 doors and then just leaving the door open.
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

Quote from: Riev on June 19, 2009, 04:49:09 PM
Quote from: Zoltan on June 19, 2009, 04:20:50 PM

The problem with not relocking doors, is when you walk into an apartment complex, and all the doors have been unlocked and even remain open. I cannot imagine being in ANY apartment complex where someone doesn't notice a person picking every lock on some 12 doors and then just leaving the door open.

I agree that it's pretty ridiculous. Still, I don't think players that hit the odd apartment should feel pressured to lock up behind themselves, as some sort of courtesy.
Trunk
hidden by 'body/torso'
hides nipples

Ah no I don't think anyone's talking about what you're suggesting Zoltan. I think it's pretty clear, lately, that the situation is more regarding the mass-lockpicking going on, where in most cases, the actual apartments aren't even looted. It's more like someone who -can- pick, is picking, simply because they can. And then not bothering to lock up afterward. Not necessarily even going into the place they just unlocked. Just "pick lock west" then "pick lock east" then "north" then "pick lock west" and "pick lock east" and rinse repeat until every single door in every single building, apartment or otherwise, has been unlocked.

It's stupid, it makes no IC or OOC sense, it isn't believable that someone -would- be able to get away with that.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

It's not courtesy. It's the mark of a professional.

If you're some scummy piece of shit burglar and it's your role to take, run, and not care, then more power to you.

Quote from: a strange shadow on June 19, 2009, 05:07:31 PM

If you're some scummy piece of shit burglar and it's your role to take, run, and not care, then more power to you.

The problem with this is that the minimal code assumes players will be responsible, thus allowing irresponsible players to get away with ridiculous things.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

Quote from: Lizzie on June 19, 2009, 05:05:00 PM
Ah no I don't think anyone's talking about what you're suggesting Zoltan. I think it's pretty clear, lately, that the situation is more regarding the mass-lockpicking going on, where in most cases, the actual apartments aren't even looted. It's more like someone who -can- pick, is picking, simply because they can. And then not bothering to lock up afterward. Not necessarily even going into the place they just unlocked. Just "pick lock west" then "pick lock east" then "north" then "pick lock west" and "pick lock east" and rinse repeat until every single door in every single building, apartment or otherwise, has been unlocked.

It's stupid, it makes no IC or OOC sense, it isn't believable that someone -would- be able to get away with that.

All right, I see what you mean. Still, sometimes there isn't anything actually -worth- taking in an apartment... but the surest way to know is to break in.
Trunk
hidden by 'body/torso'
hides nipples

Code the entry guard to send someone to check on the doors every so often. Tug on the handles, lock them if need be. One of the problem solved.
Modern concepts of fair trials and justice are simply nonexistent in Zalanthas. If you are accused, you are guilty until someone important decides you might be useful. It doesn't really matter if you did it or not.

Idea: Great percentage of being caught (wanted/cut up into little pieces) for picking locks in buildings during the day due to heavy traffic of coming and going tennants.  Low percentage of being caught at night, but 1 roving NPC transits up and down the halls in the manner that soldiers patrol the streets.

Quote from: mattrious on June 18, 2009, 09:11:59 PM
let's not just single out one class.
Noone is singling out a class.  People are singling out a profession/vocation.  That the profession/vocation shares a name with a class is inconsequential.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

I've always wanted to play a sort of treasure hunter with the burglar class.

burglar/scavenger
Now you're looking for the secret. But you won't find it because of course, you're not really looking. You don't really want to work it out. You want to be fooled.

Quote from: Jingo on June 19, 2009, 11:00:41 PM
I've always wanted to play a sort of treasure hunter with the burglar class.

burglar/scavenger

That subclass would overlap almost completely with the burglar class.  Basically like going ranger/hunter, pickpocket/thief, or warrior/guard.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

Yeah I know. Back in my noob days.

I think they get a boost to forage, though.
Now you're looking for the secret. But you won't find it because of course, you're not really looking. You don't really want to work it out. You want to be fooled.

When I played a burglar, I would unlock apartments of people I didn't like and let other people steal from it, rather than me.

Sucks to be you.  I opened your door and let your neighbours steal your crap.
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

Quote from: Synthesis on June 19, 2009, 05:12:54 PM
Quote from: a strange shadow on June 19, 2009, 05:07:31 PM

The problem with this is that the minimal code assumes players will be responsible, thus allowing irresponsible players to get away with ridiculous things.

It also allows for responsible players to do things that would otherwise not be possible. As I've said before, tightening up the code to prevent a few -potential- twinks only harms those who would have used that "grey area" for rp possibilities. That is the biggest downfall to overcoding the game. You remove the "grey area", the area that we have open to rp, from -everyone- in order to prevent a few newbies or unthinking (or intentional) twinks from doing stupid or unrealistic things.
That's more of a negative impact on the game than dealing with those situations when they come up on a case by case basis.
It harms rp in the long run.
Quote from: Fnord on November 27, 2010, 01:55:19 PM
May the fap be with you, always. ;D

Just for the sake of argument, how does anyone know it's a burglar who cleared out their apartment?

Quote from: Pantoufle on June 23, 2009, 02:29:15 AM
Just for the sake of argument, how does anyone know it's a burglar who cleared out their apartment?

This.

I've moved into apartment complexes (IG) and in the process of trying to find my room I find a number of which are unlocked and stocked. I usually take some things, and Im sure other players do too. I've never "emptied a place out", and I think just because your apartment was full and when you next go there its empty does not mean one burglar is role-playing badly. Its jumping to conclusions.

Additionally, more places for burglars to do things would ease the burden on the typically same group of people that know how to play the economy well enough to repeatedly get apartments, and thus repeatedly get burgled.

And additionally again, I remember playing in the Byn back in the day and we'd repeatedly get contracts to guard people's houses, I think through Nenyuk. - i.e. some people should create plot opportunities if this is a big problem.
Quote from: SynthesisI always thought of jozhals as like...reptilian wallabies.

Quote from: FiveDisgruntledMonkeysWitI pictured them as cute, glittery mini-velociraptors.
Kinda like a My Little Pony that could eat your face.

Quote from: Jenred on June 23, 2009, 02:56:49 AM
And additionally again, I remember playing in the Byn back in the day and we'd repeatedly get contracts to guard people's houses, I think through Nenyuk. - i.e. some people should create plot opportunities if this is a big problem.

That I agree with. Plot oppurtunities always add to the game.

But if you intend to drag out large amounts of furniture, have the decency to pay the NPC who's guarding the apartment a few small.
Clans can give stat bonuses and penalties, too. The Byn drop in wisdom is particularly notorious.

Quote from: Jenred on June 23, 2009, 02:56:49 AM

All Byn log out by say 3:00 a.m.
Burlgar strikes at 4:30 a.m.

Just won't work. There is no way you'll get players to stand a 24/7 guard, especially when during nearly all of those hours, nothing happens.
Lunch makes me happy.

Because a burglar, by definition, is one who breaks into a house or apartment to steal stuff.

We're talkin' profession, not guild here, yo.

;)

Quote from: Qzzrbl on June 23, 2009, 06:18:52 AM

Because a burglar, by definition, is one who breaks into a house or apartment to steal stuff.

We're talkin' profession, not guild here, yo.

Could very well be that the burglar broke into it and stole only a few small things. Then a neighbor took their furniture because the door was open, without breaking into anything :P

I've always shied away from neighbor theft. Is it at all ICly justifiable, in the opinions of you guys? I've always thought it was a little... cheap, kinda. Too risk free.
Quote from: Gimfalisette
(10:00:49 PM) Gimf: Yes, you sentence? I sentence often.