Burglars, reminder

Started by spawnloser, June 18, 2009, 01:31:22 AM

If my character dies (Krath forbid) I would likely roll up a sneaky stealy class, and do my damndest to do it RIGHT. Don't get caught, practice on the right marks at the right time, etc etc.

But I would definitely steal the shit out of a copper pot.
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

A bar on doors would make the game ever-more interesting.
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

Quote from: mansa on August 20, 2009, 12:10:27 AM

Zalanthans are smart enough to make key-entry door locks out of -wood-.

But completely oblivious to the idea of a door bar.

Quote from: Qzzrbl on August 20, 2009, 02:48:05 AM
Quote from: mansa on August 20, 2009, 12:10:27 AM

Zalanthans are smart enough to make key-entry door locks out of -wood-.

But completely oblivious to the idea of a door bar.

I've decided to view this as a templarate sort of thing. No one is allowed to fortify their homes.
Lunch makes me happy.

I think a Bar slide on doors as option would be awsome.. just dont put them in every apartment
and if it could be made to unlock upon logging out would be cool too; then burgulars lease have
a chance.. Make it more of a online experience..  my two cents, but I love the idea...  plus it aint
like a half-giant couldn't bash the door in should it be a Templarete issue.. Damn I love this idea.

Quote from: Salt Merchant on August 20, 2009, 10:36:18 AM
I've decided to view this as a templarate sort of thing. No one is allowed to fortify their homes.

Why?  They have half-giant soldiers.  Staff could always script some way for them to bash down (open) any door through some "order follower" command.

Quote from: Sephiroto on August 20, 2009, 11:36:19 AM
Quote from: Salt Merchant on August 20, 2009, 10:36:18 AM

Why?  They have half-giant soldiers.  Staff could always script some way for them to bash down (open) any door through some "order follower" command.

Why?  Because while a half-giant might smack open a door with a lock in a single blow, a good stout barred door could take longer, especially to clear the wreckage for the soldiers to fit through. Meanwhile every shady in the area (including the ones behind the door) are given ample warning to flee through any bolt holes they have, dispose of incriminating evidence, hide, or whatever.

Really why? It's the closest thing to a good explanation (still not very good though) available for this playability-trumps-realism issue.
Lunch makes me happy.

Imagine being a smart burglar, who has to track their victims in order to know -when- they leave their apartments, and NOT when they log out of the game.
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

Oblivion-style burglary would rock.

Quote from: a strange shadow on August 20, 2009, 12:51:59 PM
Oblivion-style burglary would rock.
Yes. I don't get into sneaky roles at all as it is, but if it was like Oblivion... Oh man. But then I was one of the people that never once used autopick while beating the game. The attempts at manually picking the door were all too amazingly fun and challenging.
Quote from: Wug
No one on staff is just waiting for the opportunity to get revenge on someone who killed one of their characters years ago.

Except me. I remember every death. And I am coming for you bastards.

The lockpicking minigame was fun (doing it manually loses you less picks, I find...) but I was talking more about the whole "living NPCs" script - tons of houses to rob, objects in them to take, someone may or may not be home, but if you watch the NPC in question long enough you can figure out the best time to make a hit. NPC's objects could load randomly and at a random rate, within a certain parameter ("object quality: high, average, poor, load: frequently, infrequently"), but all that sounds way too complicated to put into Armageddon 1.0. Still, a thief can dream.

True enough.
Quote from: Wug
No one on staff is just waiting for the opportunity to get revenge on someone who killed one of their characters years ago.

Except me. I remember every death. And I am coming for you bastards.

Thats a good point.. hell in rl people case houses alll the time to see when its free to mess with..
and as far as a half giant... hell any 15 foot giant would be able to smash a door down..

Quote from: a strange shadow on August 20, 2009, 03:47:11 PM
The lockpicking minigame was fun (doing it manually loses you less picks, I find...) but I was talking more about the whole "living NPCs" script - tons of houses to rob, objects in them to take, someone may or may not be home, but if you watch the NPC in question long enough you can figure out the best time to make a hit. NPC's objects could load randomly and at a random rate, within a certain parameter ("object quality: high, average, poor, load: frequently, infrequently"), but all that sounds way too complicated to put into Armageddon 1.0. Still, a thief can dream.

That would be a fantastic idea for reborn though.
Quote from: Marauder Moe
Oh my god he's still rocking the sandwich.

Just because someone bars a door doesn't mean you need to get an HG to get past it-- there -are- tools to get by barred doors IRL, y'know.  ;)

Quote from: Qzzrbl on August 20, 2009, 08:56:48 PM
Just because someone bars a door doesn't mean you need to get an HG to get past it-- there -are- tools to get by barred doors IRL, y'know.  ;)

IG, too!  They're called Magickers.
Quote from: Dalmeth
I've come to the conclusion that relaxing is not the lack of doing anything, but doing something that comes easily to you.

>barricade n
>Barricade with what?
>barricade n log log branch
>That direction doesn't have a closed door to barricade!
>barricade e log log branch
>You build a shitty barricade on the east exit.
>A tall, muscular man has arrived from the east, breaking through a barricade.
> think shit!
> You think:
     "shit!"
>barricade e log log log log log plank plank plank branch branch rope
>You build an unbelievably awesome barricade on the east exit.
>think Damn.  I left my food outside.
> You think:
     "Damn.  I left my food outside."
>remove barricade e
>You tear down a barricade to the east.

Meh, not quite perfect.  Something the reverse of guard.