Changes to Half-Elf Stats

Started by Synthesis, June 05, 2009, 03:45:21 PM

http://www.zalanthas.org/gdb/index.php/topic,35508.msg453308.html#msg453308

You've got to love how this is worded so vaguely that you can't possibly comment on it unless you're currently playing a half-elf and thus able to observe the change directly in your own stat descriptors.

Were half-elves too strong? Not strong enough? Too fast? Too slow? Too wise? Too dumb? Too much endurance? Not enough?
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

While not as tactful as the ever so polite Synthesis, I, too, would like to know the nature of these changes and why, after all this time, they were put into place.
Any questions, comments, or condemnations to an eternity of fiery torment?

Waving a hammer, the irate, seething crafter says, in rage-accented sirihish :
"Be impressed.  Now!"

I'm just wondering why the wording was chosen to be so vague.

When c-elf wisdom was nerfed, they told us they were lowering it.

When defense was nerfed, they told us they were lowering it.

Are they trying to avoid negative reactions by not revealing the specific nature of the changes, or was Morgenes simply being unintentionally obtuse?

There are enough half-elves in game for me to safely say that I'm playing one without fear of you all figuring out which one I'm playing.  The change was NOT drastic, which is why I think they aren't saying exactly, unlike the city elf wisdom change (and honestly, city elf wisdom was BROKEN before the change).  There was increase and decrease, so it's not like they are suddenly the suck or the uber.

However, I would have prefered that the modified stats be applied to current half-elves so that their descriptors stayed the same... like if they went from 3d4+4 for a stat to 3d4+5 for the ones in game to get that additional +1... and for the stat(s) that dropped, for them to lose that additional +1 (if indeed they were +1's).
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

Are desert-half-elves affected?
The sword is sharp, the spear is long,
The arrow swift, the Gate is strong.
The heart is bold that looks on gold;
The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.

Half-elf stats were changed to bring them more in line with where they should be--between elves and humans.  Yes, this is vague, and intentionally so.

As posted in the announcement, if you have questions, you can e-mail mud at armageddon.org.

Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.

So now we get nerfs without any reasonable explanation.

Thanks, guys.

Next thing you know, we'll be getting nerfs without any announcement at all.

The thing that really irritates me is that people who are currently playing half-elves will all know exactly what the change was, while everyone else is in the dark.

You might as well be up front about it and tell us all.

It was probably an agility bump, a wisdom bump and an endurance loss.

That's my guess.
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

June 05, 2009, 05:41:13 PM #10 Last Edit: June 05, 2009, 05:42:44 PM by Gunnerblaster
Quote from: mansa on June 05, 2009, 05:09:20 PM

That's my guess.
Enough half-elves IG to not give away character-specific information but the exact opposite happened to me, save for the wisdom.

Agility went down, Endurance shot up.

Edited to add:

And this change was very random and out of the blue. There was no discussion on the GDB and this struck without warning. I'm very appreciative of everything the staff does for us but... This just bites.
Quote from: LauraMars
Quote from: brytta.leofaLaura, did weird tribal men follow you around at age 15?
If by weird tribal men you mean Christians then yes.

Quote from: Malifaxis
She was teabagging me.

My own mother.

Quote from: Gunnerblaster on June 05, 2009, 05:41:13 PM

That's my guess.
Enough half-elves IG to not give away character-specific information but the exact opposite happened to me, save for the wisdom.

Agility went down, Endurance shot up.

Edited to add:

And this change was very random and out of the blue. There was no discussion on the GDB and this struck without warning. I'm very appreciative of everything the staff does for us but... This just bites.

Gunnerblaster, if your APPARENT agility went down, that means that globally, half-elves got a boost.

If your APPARENT endurance went up, that means globally, half-elves got a nerf.

Quote from: Gunnerblaster on June 05, 2009, 05:41:13 PM
This just bites.

My understanding of the post is that existing half-elves remain exactly the same in absolute terms. They haven't lost or gained anything. It's just the quality descriptors that might appear different, because the attribute ranges have been altered for -new- half elves.

So there's no reason for the players of existing half-elves to be upset.
Lunch makes me happy.

Synth has the gist of it I think.

I wonder, of all the balance issues in the game, why this one deserved their attention.  A race that -rarely- achieves any acclaim, that many have little interest in playing, who's stigma is entirely RP dependent... and they decide to go and change their stats.  Wierd.
"A man's past is not simply a dead history... it is a still quivering part of himself, bringing shudders and bitter flavours and the tinglings of a merited shame."
-George Eliot

I'm guessing (key word: guessing) that the assess -v thread about half-elves may have got some staff thinking, "hmm, if the coded half-elf represents the true halfway point between the two races, as opposed to coded-human half-elves and coded-elf half-elves whose heritage is not readily able to be discerned, do the coded half-elf stats reflect this?  Hey, they don't.  Let's bump everything toward the middle of the two races."  Which seems reasonable to me, since it now reflects the staff stance on what half-elfs are.
Quote from: Synthesis
Quote from: lordcooper
You go south and one of the other directions that isn't north.  That is seriously the limit of my geographical knowledge of Arm.
Sarge?

Quote from: MorgenesWe have tweaked the starting stats for half-elves to better bring them into line between humans and elves.  In some cases this may mean you might see a different wording in your attributes if you are currently playing a half-elf.  We will not be rerolling existing half-elves for this change, you will be grandfathered in at the old stats.

Nothing was said about a nerf. As the player of a half-elf currently, I can say little to nothing has changed other than the wording of half-elven attributes, not necessarily the attributes themselves. For clarification, what used to be 'average' half-elf endurance is now considered 'good' half-elf endurance. It's still the same roll, though.

Quote from: Synthesis on June 05, 2009, 04:56:58 PM
So now we get nerfs without any reasonable explanation.

Thanks, guys.

Next thing you know, we'll be getting nerfs without any announcement at all.

Not everything has to fit into your perception of good to be good.

Let it play itself out.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

As I said, the change was not drastic.  There was NO nerfing.  I repeat, there was NO nerfing.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

There was no nerfing for CURRENT PCs.

Future PCs will most certainly be affected.

You have no clue whether it is a nerf or a boost. What's with you today? Every single post you have made has been off-kilter.

Chill out.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

Maybe they felt that people could pick elf or human for half elves that were more one than the other, and they gave half elf some boosts to encourage people to play them.
Carpe Diem - Fish of the day

June 05, 2009, 06:34:01 PM #22 Last Edit: June 05, 2009, 06:52:57 PM by Synthesis
Quote from: The7DeadlyVenomz on June 05, 2009, 06:24:53 PM
You have no clue whether it is a nerf or a boost. What's with you today? Every single post you have made has been off-kilter.

Chill out.

I think gunnerblaster's post made it fairly apparent that endurance was nerfed.

I wouldn't be surprised if strength were nerfed as well, actually.

Off-kilter? Hardly.

P.S.  I'd like to note that I never disagreed nor agreed with the change itself.  I'm only taking issue with the way it was announced:  I'd prefer substantial changes like this to be announced with a little more transparency.

*pulls out a nerf gun and fires it wildly into the crowd*

AHEM...sorry, please, have faith that we know what we are doing.  It might seem that we are doing nothing but 'moving your cheese' or blasting away with our nerf mini-guns, but really we do talk about these changes and we feel they are for the betterment of the game.

Give the man a prize.

Quote from: Thunkkin on June 05, 2009, 06:00:10 PM
I'm guessing (key word: guessing) that the assess -v thread about half-elves may have got some staff thinking, "hmm, if the coded half-elf represents the true halfway point between the two races, as opposed to coded-human half-elves and coded-elf half-elves whose heritage is not readily able to be discerned, do the coded half-elf stats reflect this?  Hey, they don't.  Let's bump everything toward the middle of the two races."  Which seems reasonable to me, since it now reflects the staff stance on what half-elfs are.

Basically, that thread got me thinking why someone would play a half-elf and want to look like a human or elf, which made me look at the stat ranges for half-elves, where I realized they weren't between the two.

Quote from: Sunburned on June 05, 2009, 05:56:16 PM
I wonder, of all the balance issues in the game, why this one deserved their attention.  A race that -rarely- achieves any acclaim, that many have little interest in playing, who's stigma is entirely RP dependent... and they decide to go and change their stats.  Wierd.

We're volunteers, we do what we want when we want.  It's a very easy thing to change and it can be done mid-stream.

Quote from: Salt Merchant on June 05, 2009, 05:47:25 PMMy understanding of the post is that existing half-elves remain exactly the same in absolute terms. They haven't lost or gained anything. It's just the quality descriptors that might appear different, because the attribute ranges have been altered for -new- half elves.

So there's no reason for the players of existing half-elves to be upset.

Existing half-elves have the EXACT SAME rolls they had before.  They are being grandfathered in, the new generation of half-elves will be subject to the new dice rolls.  They will only have the appearance of a change from the new racial average.

FWIW, I've altered half-elf wisdom again as it still wasn't mid-line even after my last change.  It now is more of a median.
Morgenes

Producer
Armageddon Staff

Thanks, Morgenes.
"A man's past is not simply a dead history... it is a still quivering part of himself, bringing shudders and bitter flavours and the tinglings of a merited shame."
-George Eliot