Changes to Half-Elf Stats

Started by Synthesis, June 05, 2009, 03:45:21 PM

Contrary to what some of you believe, I think the producers love the game too, and have the game's best interests at heart.
Carpe Diem - Fish of the day

Quote from: Morgenes on June 05, 2009, 07:05:41 PM
We're volunteers, we do what we want when we want. 

This statement doesn't sit well with me. I feel that I am a volunteer/contributor as well. I may not code or build for the game, but I have submitted many things and written pieces for the world.

I think it'd make the community feel good about things if you asked for our opinion on matters before deciding. It might also foster better discourse.

I still think the current shouldn't get grandfathered in.  We're all still playing half-elves.  Oh well.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

Quote from: Eloran on June 05, 2009, 07:22:11 PM
We're volunteers, we do what we want when we want.  

This statement doesn't sit well with me. I feel that I am a volunteer/contributor as well. I may not code or build for the game, but I have submitted many things and written pieces for the world.

I think it'd make the community feel good about things if you asked for our opinion on matters before deciding. It might also foster better discourse.

You are a volunteer, you do contribute, do I tell you what to play or when?  Do I tell you you must submit a new object because that's what I really want?   I didn't mean that to say that you guys don't matter or your opinions don't matter.  I said that to explain why we chose to do things that not everyone may think is urgent, but we do feel it's worth doing at the time.

There are many things we ask you guys about because your input is important.  There are some things, such as the specifics behind what the numbers were and are that we can't really discuss.  If I had come to you and said that half-elf endurance is currently higher in range than both human and elf, would your input have been anything other than 'oh, that seems wrong, it should be changed'.  Beyond that the tweaks are so small that really it's about inverting numbers in an algorithm that really just slightly change the range of things.  It isn't something you guys really could have contributed to, hence why I didn't post asking for discourse.

I know you guys are stinging because you feel like multiple changes have gone in recently without consulting you guys.  We do care what you think and we do listen.  However, we are the staff of the game, and ultimately we have to make the decisions, and there are some things that we feel strongly enough about that we feel we must do it for the betterment of the game.  We hope you will come to see that our vision is true, and we aren't afraid to admit that sometimes we make mistakes and changes should be reverted.

As for the grandfathering in of existing half-elves, if I had altered existing half-elves I would have gotten blasted from people when their actual values changed.  If you feel you have been slighted by this change, you can email me and I will personally handle rerolling your character with the new values.  I will NOT guarantee that you will get your old 'apparent stat' back.
Morgenes

Producer
Armageddon Staff

June 06, 2009, 12:08:52 AM #29 Last Edit: June 06, 2009, 12:12:35 AM by mansa
*pulls out a nerf gun and fires it wildly into the crowd*

AHEM...sorry, please, have faith that we know what we are doing.  It might seem that we are doing nothing but 'moving your cheese' or blasting away with our nerf mini-guns, but really we do talk about these changes and we feel they are for the betterment of the game.

Quote from: mansa on June 05, 2009, 05:09:20 PM
It was probably an agility bump, a wisdom bump and an endurance loss.

Give the man a prize.

FWIW, I've altered half-elf wisdom again as it still wasn't mid-line even after my last change.  It now is more of a median.

Wow, I was totally making it up.

Maybe we could have a 1 karma class called Desert Half-Elves that have a better endurance than city half-elves.
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

Quote from: mansa on June 06, 2009, 12:08:52 AM
Maybe we could have a 1 karma class called Desert Half-Elves that have a better endurance than city half-elves.

I'd rather it be half a karma. And they should have penalties in the city. Like, claustrophobia and mistrust of all city people. Ohhh.. but they make really good rangers. Perfect for lone ranger concepts who live in some cave and survive on tubers.
Quote from: Rahnevyn on March 09, 2009, 03:39:45 PM
Clans can give stat bonuses and penalties, too. The Byn drop in wisdom is particularly notorious.

i think a wis/strength bump make helves more sensible and probably more enticing to play, even if balanced by an endurance drop.

I tripped and Fale down my stairs. Drink milk and you'll grow Uaptal. I know this guy from the state of Tenneshi. This house will go up Borsail tomorrow. I gave my book to him Nenyuk it back again. I hired this guy golfing to Kadius around for a while.

Half-elves require no strength boost.
"A man's past is not simply a dead history... it is a still quivering part of himself, bringing shudders and bitter flavours and the tinglings of a merited shame."
-George Eliot