Subguild Hunter

Started by Eloran, June 02, 2009, 09:20:48 PM

What's the deal with this wave of assassins that use subguild hunter as a means to have perfect wilderness sneak/hide. Seeing as how sneak nor hide is a skill offered by the sub, wouldn't that classify the sub as a bit buggy?

It may be perfectly acceptable, but I just find it a bit iffy is all.

hunter subclass gives sneak and hide?

http://www.armageddon.org/cgi-bin/help_index/show_help?Hunter
QuoteSubguild Hunter     (Character)

Hunters, who have made their living hunting, are generally good at tracking their prey, as well as skinning it. They also have the ability to shoot their prey from a distance using the arrows that they created.

See Also:
    guilds, subguilds

Looks to me like they get hunt, skin, archery AND create_arrows crafting skill.
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

That's what they should get. Apparently there's this little sekrit running about that if you pick subguild_hunter and play an assassin, you can sneak/hide in both the city and wilderness effectively.

Perhaps this should best be taken up in an email to the mud account, or perhaps using the request tool.
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

Oh it should be. I was just making this post to be snarky. The email's already been sent.

Kind of makes you wonder if ranger/thieves get city and wilderness sneak/hide.

p.s. I suspect most people pick assassin/hunter because it gives you a good excuse to go out and train backstab.  The other business is interesting and useful, but ultimately secondary.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

Quote from: Synthesis on June 02, 2009, 09:45:28 PM
Kind of makes you wonder if ranger/thieves get city and wilderness sneak/hide.

I was just thinking the same thing.  ::)

It's a bit irritating to deal with this IC, but I'm not opposed to the idea that this is okay.  While I agree that having wilderness and city sneak/hide is a bit overpowering, don't forget about the other skills that these people forgo to be masters of stealth.  At the same time, I believe that a ranger_thief should get similar perks.

Now, I'm not sure if this is a bug or not.  I don't think hunters get the hide/sneak skills (the help file doesn't specify), so maybe a assassin_hunter might be getting wilderness hide/sneak due to the wilderness subset of the hunt skill, which goes along with the tracking of prey both inside and outside of the cities.

From what I remember, this has been discussed before. You only get your guild's one.
Carpe Diem - Fish of the day

I guess my eyes are just playing tricks on me.

Also, what's the harm in a little honest twinking, here and there?  It's not as bad as people who play dwarves but talk with a Scottish accent.

Now --that-- is the number one threat to the game!

Arrrr, matey!!

June 02, 2009, 10:03:07 PM #11 Last Edit: June 02, 2009, 10:11:54 PM by Eloran
Quote from: ibusoe on June 02, 2009, 09:59:33 PM
Also, what's the harm in a little honest twinking, here and there?

I suppose you're being facetious here, but I'll bite your troll:

It defeats the purpose of the game. It's not about "winning" so much as playing a living, breathing character. If you twink to achieve an edge you shouldn't have, you're a turd.

It's not as bad as people who play dwarves but talk with a Scottish accent.

That's not twinkish. That's just stupid.

Arrrr, matey!!

Not Scottish.  :P

I can tell you from experience...You only get your MAIN guilds perks.
Not the subguilds.
Quote from: roughneck on October 13, 2018, 10:06:26 AM
Armageddon is best when it's actually harsh and brutal, not when we're only pretending that it is.

Keep in mind that if you're that damn good at hide/sneak, you have a chance to do it 'out of your element'.

Quote from: Eloran on June 02, 2009, 10:03:07 PM

I suppose you're being facetious here, but I'll bite your troll:

It defeats the purpose of the game. It's not about "winning" so much as playing a living, breathing character. If you twink to achieve an edge you shouldn't have, you're a turd.

I don't know.  At the risk of sounding philosophical...Maybe it's my age speaking, but I think part of having happiness in life consists of understanding, and indeed tolerance for the fact that not everyone will agree or attempt to play by what most of us consent to be the rules.

I mean, no matter how badassed this ranger/thief combination is, in the end it will easily get crushed by a half-giant with a spear, which is ironically completely within the rules. 

Quote from: Krath on June 02, 2009, 10:05:49 PM
Not the subguilds.

Thing is Krath, subguild_hunter doesn't -give- sneak or hide. My point is that there appears to be some sort of bug that's allowing city sneak/hide to work in the wilderness.

Quote from: a strange shadow on June 02, 2009, 10:06:29 PM
Keep in mind that if you're that damn good at hide/sneak, you have a chance to do it 'out of your element'.

Correct. Said chance, however, is a big, big negative. I've seen city characters who I -know- aren't rangers become ninjaghosts in the wilderness.

Quote from: Eloran on June 02, 2009, 10:13:55 PM
Correct. Said chance, however, is a big, big negative. I've seen city characters who I -know- aren't rangers become ninjaghosts in the wilderness.

Same here.  I'm not totally against it, but I'd like to hear the staff address this issue and give their seal of approval before I endorse it.

I am almost 100% certain this is a result of either assassin_ranger or special app.

There are subguilds that offer wilderness stealth skills.

I am not sure hunter is one of them, however, having not played one in quite a while.
Quote from: SMuz on May 11, 2009, 08:01:05 AM
A lot of people hate getting randomly PK'ed

I had an assassin/hunter about a year ago who could hide/sneak at will in the wilderness.

I'm not sure how good it worked vs. scan, but I could sneak up on/past any critter I wanted to.  This was with above average dwarf agility, so it wasn't a quirk of great stats.  On the other hand, I had a recent assassin/physician with vgood c-elf agility, who couldn't hide in the desert worth a damn, even after having maxed the city variant.

So yeah, it definitely seems to me like there's some synergy between the class and subclass going on there.  Personally, I like it. 

But hey, I like anything that makes assassins cooler.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

Most assassin/hunters I have ran across were wanting to be hired as "hunters" in clans.
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

Quote from: Eloran on June 02, 2009, 10:13:55 PM
Quote from: Krath on June 02, 2009, 10:05:49 PM
Not the subguilds.

Thing is Krath, subguild_hunter doesn't -give- sneak or hide. My point is that there appears to be some sort of bug that's allowing city sneak/hide to work in the wilderness.

If this exploitation were possible, I am pretty sure this thread would have not lasted this long.
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

Also, what's the harm in a little honest twinking, here and there?  It's not as bad as people who play dwarves but talk with a Scottish accent.

Now --that-- is the number one threat to the game!

Arrrr, matey!!

Are they scottish pirates?
Carpe Diem - Fish of the day

Yes, you can use your assassin's city sneak/hide in the wilderness.  No, hunter does not allow you to do it without the penalty.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

This has already been discussed, jeez, maybe at most two months ago? Staff gave their answer. It has no point.

What's wrong with a hunter relying on their stealth and backstab skills? And using it on people in the city as well. Assassin/hunter seems like a plausible enough concept. There are more 'twinkish' combos.
Quote from: Rahnevyn on March 09, 2009, 03:39:45 PM
Clans can give stat bonuses and penalties, too. The Byn drop in wisdom is particularly notorious.