Zalanthan attractiveness

Started by SMuz, April 14, 2009, 05:31:59 AM

Usually I play PCs with strong personalities and definitive talents who rise to power and influence. Usually other PCs find this very, very attractive. This seems quite Zalanthan to me.

Beyond that, I don't think looks matter much to Zalanthans as a whole, as long as the bare minimum standards of race, heritage, mundanity, and lack of mutation have been met.
Quote from: Vanth on February 13, 2008, 05:27:50 PM
I'm gonna go all Gimfalisette on you guys and lay down some numbers.

Quote from: Gimfalisette on April 15, 2009, 05:58:21 PM
Beyond that, I don't think looks matter much to Zalanthans as a whole, as long as the bare minimum standards of race, heritage, mundanity, and lack of mutation have been met.

This is pretty much how I've always looked at it.

One thing I have most of my characters do is over-react to a gorgeous "f-me" PC. Like a "she's so beautiful, it ain't even rational!" kind of thing. One time I had a character that ran into an insanely hawt female PC in the desert, and he was a little worried that she was some sort of supernatural being that'd lure him to his doom or whatever. And -my- character was a mage!
Quote from: nessalin on July 11, 2016, 02:48:32 PM
Trunk
hidden by 'body/torso'
hides nipples

First, many people argue that rape isn't about sex, it's about power.  What better way to defile a member of another species that you don't consider to be a real person than by sexually defiling them with a bastard spawn?  Second, you don't have to trust a person (or even LIKE them) to lust after them, so against your better judgement, hormones can take over, resulting in a half breed.  Especially if there is something enchanting about them.  Third, people in the real world get off with goats, children, piss, and power tools.  Is doing some chick with pointy ears REALLY that weird?  Hell, I was gonna wish up for an Imm to animate that tentacle mouthed guy in Tuluk and see if he wanted to make some extra money...
You'll never find a more wretched hive of scum and villany.  Except for maybe Allanak."

-Anonymous

yea but elves are so skinny and gross. regardless, as long as you know it will be treated as a freakish kink your character has, go ahead. it's still explicitly against the docs for it to be common. (but obviously it does happen, considering all the fecking breeds around.)

Most of my characters have been attracted to big, fat, well-fed and well-watered people.

I think that severe sexual deviance reasons be means to have someone tortured in Allanak and disappeared in Tuluk.
Now you're looking for the secret. But you won't find it because of course, you're not really looking. You don't really want to work it out. You want to be fooled.

Opposites.  Two people very good at the same thing are a very powerful pair at that one thing, but two characters who are very good at what they do in different areas allows for a broader social impact - not that they all think of it that way, but I think it appeals in this world to look for something that you're not.  And want it.
Quote from: saquartey
Rairen, what would we do without you?

Quote from: Jingo on April 16, 2009, 09:10:32 PM
I think that severe sexual deviance reasons be means to have someone tortured in Allanak and disappeared in Tuluk.

I don't think thats necessary. But extreme mockery and derision, I think that's in order.
Quote from: Gimfalisette
(10:00:49 PM) Gimf: Yes, you sentence? I sentence often.

Sexual deviance can occur just like it does in real life. Molestation, famiy issues, genetic problems, etc. If I was a human raised in the rinth that saw my father fuck elves out of rape like tendencies, I still might develop a preference towards elves, just because its what I know the strongest male figure in my family to do.

Its already stated in the docs that homosexuality is NOT a rarity, or an absurdity, so for a child to witness homosexuality is not an oddball chance, its likely been observed on a number of occassions. So to develop quasi-homosexual attractions is also not unworldly. If you witnessed a fair number of homosexual relationships in your life, an affinity towards masucline-females/feminine-males, might be normal.

Being a mul, who is sterile - yes, but still the product of a dwarf/human, might produce many mixxed feelings of attraction, ranging from height to body hair to lifestyle.

An elf, desert born, might have an exotic attraction to the unkempt and totally different lifestyle of an Allanaki commoner. Just like people from the heartland of america, join the army, and are taken off-guard by the exotic asian women of korea (first person experience, no need to challenge).

Zalanthan attraction is subject to character. I think this topic does a good job of addressing things people may not have thought of when creating  a character, but it -will not- reach a decisive opinion of what amounts to attraction in an alien, fictional world.

New things will be added regularly, and not even documentation could sum up a phenomenon not even concrete in the real world.

Quote from: Zoltan on April 16, 2009, 10:26:01 AM
One time I had a character that ran into an insanely hawt female PC in the desert, and he was a little worried that she was some sort of supernatural being that'd lure him to his doom or whatever. And -my- character was a mage!

Seems like the "hawtest" f-me women are always played by men.  I would have loved to have seen that, Zoltan.  That's awesome.
Quote from: manonfire on November 04, 2013, 08:11:36 AM
The secret to great RP is having the balls to be weird and the brains to make it eloquent.

Quote from: Ourla on April 17, 2009, 10:25:46 AM
Quote from: Zoltan on April 16, 2009, 10:26:01 AM
One time I had a character that ran into an insanely hawt female PC in the desert, and he was a little worried that she was some sort of supernatural being that'd lure him to his doom or whatever. And -my- character was a mage!

Seems like the "hawtest" f-me women are always played by men.  I would have loved to have seen that, Zoltan.  That's awesome.

It was a fun little story that my character would ramble on about IC a lot. The other player was obviously new and handled the ensuing strange situation really well. Alas, too recent to go into any more detail.
Quote from: nessalin on July 11, 2016, 02:48:32 PM
Trunk
hidden by 'body/torso'
hides nipples

I don't see why it would be much different then us.

Zalanthans would be attracted to healthy partners whom have good genes and would bear good children.

QuoteZalanthans would be attracted to healthy partners whom have good genes and would bear good children.

I think most american men, at least, are attracted to unhealthily skinny partners who are dumb as rocks and think children are abominations because they ruin their figure.

Not pointing that at this community in particular, but just saying...I -hope- it's not similar on Zalanthas, or the human race is doomed to turn into half-elves.  :D
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

Quote from: 5 day lifespan on April 16, 2009, 03:31:52 PM
 Hell, I was gonna wish up for an Imm to animate that tentacle mouthed guy in Tuluk and see if he wanted to make some extra money...
LOL I damn near choked on my cheese burger reading that....thats frcking funny!

Quote from: Armaddict on April 21, 2009, 07:57:40 PM
QuoteZalanthans would be attracted to healthy partners whom have good genes and would bear good children.

I think most american men, at least, are attracted to unhealthily skinny partners who are dumb as rocks and think children are abominations because they ruin their figure.

Not pointing that at this community in particular, but just saying...I -hope- it's not similar on Zalanthas, or the human race is doomed to turn into half-elves.  :D

Unlike the real world, Zalanthas is not suffering from a gross overpopulation problem, and people are actively seeking to breed and reproduce.  In the real world, we have the luxury of choosing not to breed, for various reasons.  (Not just vanity, thank you.)  So yes, suitable breeding partners on Zalanthas would be considered quite attractive IMO.  Most folks would look at a scrawny woman with no hips on Zalanthas and think that she'd probably die during childbirth.  A weak, emaciated man might be viewed as unsuitable because he looks like any children he sires would be equally weak.
Eastman: he came out of the east to do battle with The Amazing Rando!

Quote from: Niamh on April 23, 2009, 06:25:16 AM
Unlike the real world, Zalanthas is not suffering from a gross overpopulation problem, and people are actively seeking to breed and reproduce.  In the real world, we have the luxury of choosing not to breed, for various reasons.  (Not just vanity, thank you.)  So yes, suitable breeding partners on Zalanthas would be considered quite attractive IMO.  Most folks would look at a scrawny woman with no hips on Zalanthas and think that she'd probably die during childbirth.  A weak, emaciated man might be viewed as unsuitable because he looks like any children he sires would be equally weak.

But note that the parts of the real world with low reproduction rates are mostly those that aren't overpopulated.  (Barring China as a rather large-sized anomaly.)

Maybe a better comparison would be rich/poor and urban/rural.  The rural poor badly need lots of children, both as a work force and to care for them when they're old.  They're likely to be food-rich, if they can get the crops in, but unable to afford city-made goods.  In rural Zalanthas, I'd expect to see a lot of emphasis on selecting a partner who will "breed well," and, for anybody who actually owns property (land or animals), some (community-enforced but extralegal) contractual arrangements.

The urban poor do need a few children to look out for them in their dotage, but they're paying money for all their food and water, so the short-term costs of having kids are higher.  Too, they'll have much less control over their teenage and adult children in the city than their rural counterparts, so the long-term rewards are less certain.  With kids having a lower present-value, we might see people delaying children until they have a stable income, and a lot more casual sex and birth control.

The urban rich--nobles, family members of merchant houses, and life-sworn employees--don't personally need kids, but neither is the cost of raising them so very high.  They have children when their house tells them to, or out of personal inclination, and nobles' standards of beauty are likely to be the most disconnected from breeding considerations.

All of which was a long-winded way of stating this opinion:
- Rural folks: like big muscles and hips.
- City folks: delay breeding, but, when it comes to it, prefer people of steady disposition who aren't too waifish.
- Rich folks: generally indifferent to breeding considerations.  Go for persons of good personality, wealth, political connection, or appearance when wearing close-fitting silks.
The sword is sharp, the spear is long,
The arrow swift, the Gate is strong.
The heart is bold that looks on gold;
The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.

You people and your biological determinism.
Armageddon is full of many different cultures, each with their own culture, expectation and values. Maybe attractiveness would vary from culture to culture, and be dependent on all kinds of socio-cultural factors. Like the real world?
"But I don't want to go among mad people," Alice remarked.

"Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: "we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."

"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.

"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn't have come here."

Quote from: anotherhippie on April 23, 2009, 05:32:08 AM
Quote from: 5 day lifespan on April 16, 2009, 03:31:52 PM
 Hell, I was gonna wish up for an Imm to animate that tentacle mouthed guy in Tuluk and see if he wanted to make some extra money...
LOL I damn near choked on my cheese burger reading that....thats frcking funny!

I just spit up some soda on the screen. Thanks.
Quote from: Gimfalisette
(10:00:49 PM) Gimf: Yes, you sentence? I sentence often.

Lol, brytta, that seems a bit overcomplicated. Reminds me of what they teach in psychology. And personally, I find that applying psychology to rp never works naturally, especially under different situations.

Breeding doesn't have anything to do with overpopulation. It's all about whether you can feed your damn kids and passing down more genes than your neighbor. If your descendants have a higher chance of survival with less children (money, loyal partners, etc). In reality, women have evolved to 'testing' their partner's loyalty and commitment by playing hard to get, getting the guy to ask her out first. Men would expect a gesture of subservience from the women. That worked well in the olde days, one person brings the food, the other maintains the household. And it was fine for simply men to be trained in science and war, because it was too expensive to train both sexes. As Dwarf Fortress shows, it doesn't work out so well when women go to battle :P These days, both are capable of bringing back the food and maintaining the households, so there's much less sexism.

Actually, considering the high PC death rate in Zalanthas, I think one night stands are more attractive than anywhere. You're more likely to have spawn who survive by simply breeding with anything on two legs - including those of other races. An elf or dwarf might seem attractive to a human simply because they could breed. A dwarf on the other hand, might see an elf as attractive as, like a jozhal or something.
Quote from: Rahnevyn on March 09, 2009, 03:39:45 PM
Clans can give stat bonuses and penalties, too. The Byn drop in wisdom is particularly notorious.

Niamh the wise said:
QuoteMost folks would look at a scrawny woman with no hips on Zalanthas and think that she'd probably die during childbirth.

Unfortunately, if that scrawny woman with no hips is written well, the *player* of that male PC will arbitrarily decide that the scrawny woman with no hips is perfect mate-bait and make many, consistent, illogical attempts to woo her and convince her to fuck his brains out.

Try it some time. Create a female PC with some of the freakiest physical traits, but write them really nicely. Be sure to use flowery emotes to describe the exact shade of persimmon that oozes from the sores in your face, and the rich aroma of fetid meat wafting up from your crotch as you shift on your chair and cross your legs. See for yourself how many people try to mudsex you. You might be surprised at the results.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

Quote from: Lizzie on April 23, 2009, 01:57:21 PM
Niamh the wise said:
QuoteMost folks would look at a scrawny woman with no hips on Zalanthas and think that she'd probably die during childbirth.

Unfortunately, if that scrawny woman with no hips is written well, the *player* of that male PC will arbitrarily decide that the scrawny woman with no hips is perfect mate-bait and make many, consistent, illogical attempts to woo her and convince her to fuck his brains out.

Try it some time. Create a female PC with some of the freakiest physical traits, but write them really nicely. Be sure to use flowery emotes to describe the exact shade of persimmon that oozes from the sores in your face, and the rich aroma of fetid meat wafting up from your crotch as you shift on your chair and cross your legs. See for yourself how many people try to mudsex you. You might be surprised at the results.

True - and invariably amusing when it happens - but there's no harm in analyzing how it could and/or should be.  Someone can always come up with an RP reason for why an unattractive person could still be desirable to a PC, but why not think about the 80% rules of society?

I say this, but I've taken great pleasure in writing average-looking women with prettily worded descriptions, as well as by desc'ing an f-me who doesn't have sex, just for the pleasure of messing with the pbase's OOC inclinations.  I love you all.
Quote from: saquartey
Rairen, what would we do without you?

That's why you're awesome, Rairen.

Lizzie made me retch. :(
Rickey's Law: People don't want "A story". They want their story.

It's Rairen's small text comment that I liked the best.

Remember folks - "honey-haired" in Zalanthas means your hair is GREEN.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

Quote from: Lizzie on April 23, 2009, 01:57:21 PM
Niamh the wise said:

but if the PC isn't interested in  childbirth, and she's clean and friendly and has another nice feature or too... huh! sounds a little like RL too! I bet scrawny but interesting chicks still get laid all the time in your country!! How about that!!??

illogical my ass. All the scrawny chicks in here should kick you in your curves.