The player prejudice against Tuluk

Started by Vanth, February 15, 2009, 01:45:21 PM

Quote from: DustMight on February 15, 2009, 01:11:51 PM
Least Favorite:

#1, #2 #3: Any noble house in Tuluk

(Note: I tend to stay completely ignorant of political things up north from an OOC perspective so I can maintain my purity.  I can't even name the noble houses in Tuluk.)

Sorry to pick on DustMight--their comment was just the most recent one, and this is not directed as a criticism against one player.

I realize that some of you don't like the upper-class social scene in Tuluk, and that's fine.  But I think that a real disservice is being done to Tuluk by the (sometimes cyclical) lack of rough-and-tumble characters there.

There is plenty of room in Tuluk (literally, heh) for characters who never step foot into the Sanctuary, don't get rich, and live hardscrabble lives where they rarely see a noble or a bard. 
*The Warrens are IMO a great place for well-played rogue classes, even if you never visit the other quarters of the city. 
*There is Byn presence in Tuluk when there is enough player interest to sustain it. 
*There are menial 'jobs' you can do to stay outside the noble employment/partisan system, if you really feel the need to avoid it. 
*There are coded rooftops in some places. 
*You can't play a hated known magicker there, but on the other hand you can play a desperate spice addict.
*Hunting can be easily as dangerous as it is around Allanak. There are mean humanoid NPCs (of 3 different races) who will defend their nearby territories, and bahamets come much closer to Tuluk than mekillots do to Allanak.
*You can play someone who couldn't afford to eat in Allanak post-RSE's closure, and is therefore an Allanaki refugee in Tuluk.

There are certainly other options besides these, but my general gist is that nobles, merchants, and bards are not all of Tuluk; and if you let them be all of Tuluk then you are the reason for that perception.
Nyr: newbs killing newbs
Nyr: hot newb on newb violence
Ath: Mmmmmm, HOT!

I think most people who make fun of Tuluk OOCly don't actually dislike playing there.

At least I know that's the case with me.

You forgot to mention that zone some obsessed nerd's been tweaking for the past couple months.
Quote from: scienceAn early study by Plaut and Kohn-Speyer (1947)[11] found that horse smegma had a carcinogenic effect on mice. Heins et al.(1958)

I know of one place in Tuluk where the people drink all night and day, and yell incomprehensible things.

Player's dislike playing in Tuluk mostly because they don't understand it or haven't had a good experience there. At least those are the top reasons that I can think of.

There's a number of threads dedicated to making Tuluk to be understood better by the playerbase. There's a lot of effort going in for players to have a good experience there as well. All that's asked for, is to give Tuluk a real try. Not for one or two characters, but for as many as it may take before you can make an honest judgment on that area of the game. It'll be worth it, even if that's all you get from your time in the pyramid city.
"And all around is the desert; a corner of the mournful kingdom of sand."
   - Pierre Loti

People talk a lot of crap about Allanak too Vanth. I personally don't prefer playing in cities anymore, but that's just because I've had all the fun I can in each.

I'm partial to Tuluk from its occupation/rebellion days, but eh.

The only comment I can muster up on this is that there's lack of players to sustain a full rounded culture in both cities. And that they interact far to little, leaving two separate "games" played for to often. At least that is my experience.
Modern concepts of fair trials and justice are simply nonexistent in Zalanthas. If you are accused, you are guilty until someone important decides you might be useful. It doesn't really matter if you did it or not.

February 15, 2009, 02:22:29 PM #7 Last Edit: February 15, 2009, 02:26:42 PM by DustMight
Vanth,

I think you have a valid point and I have already started thinking (prior to your post) about playing either a non-citizen who decides to live in the north for some reason or a northerner doing something within the city because you know the characters and RP are very good (despite how we all get along on the GDB).   ;)

I have to agree with Voular, too.  I've felt (since the fall of Tuluk, really) that the game would have been better had all energies (and player base) been focused on one city and a wasteland of desperate villages up north with an encroaching forest/wild-life.

But, then, that's a different game and history than the one that exists.

I absolutely love Tuluk, and if current things weren't keeping me from there I would so be there. And, as an aside, I absolutely hate Allanak, so take that all you Tuluk haterz.

Tuluk, be my Valentine?

[y] [n] [maybe]

Quote from: Winterless on February 15, 2009, 02:26:50 PM
I absolutely love Tuluk, and if current things weren't keeping me from there I would so be there. And, as an aside, I absolutely hate Allanak, so take that all you Tuluk haterz.

This.
Quote from: Wug
No one on staff is just waiting for the opportunity to get revenge on someone who killed one of their characters years ago.

Except me. I remember every death. And I am coming for you bastards.

Truthfully, I don't like the totalitarian oppressiveness, I don't like how barren it is, I don't like the general feel of it. I like the vegetation, wildlife, rescources, social structure, and etc of Tuluk, but the ones in Allanak occasionally feel needlessly harsh. Like it's more harshness for the sake of harshness than harshness for realism. That's just mine, though.
Quote from: Wug
No one on staff is just waiting for the opportunity to get revenge on someone who killed one of their characters years ago.

Except me. I remember every death. And I am coming for you bastards.

Quote from: DustMight on February 15, 2009, 02:44:42 PM
Why do ya'll hate Allanak?

It's full of people that curses and do nasty things and can't sip wine properly and they're all a bunch of jerks and they always make fun of me and it's like, I can't have a BFF there, everyone ends up trying to kill me, and, sometimes, I'm super nice to them but they tell me to go FUDGE myself and I'm like, aw, it's just a game, why can't we all have fun and be together and laugh and hold hands and fight stuff together and be a great team and mine obsidian together and then spend our monies on jewelry and show them to our friends and they can show us their pretty silks as well and we can plan fun parties and gossip about people and giggle and .. I don't know, I just want to be happy and pretend that I'm a sweet guy online and have babies and raise them to be good people without having to deal with Templars who have nothing to do but fine me because I tell them they have a nice hat, or because I follow them around asking them if I can be of any help.

:'( (indian crying face)
"When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse's feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back."

i play this game because it's post-apoc perma-death. ergo Nak is about 1000 times better than tuluk because it is in a DESERT.

This isn't a 'hate allanak' thread. Tuluk is great for its diverse (not subtle) and alien culture; whereas Allanak is far more accessible to new players as it closely mirrors how westerners view ancient Rome.  Both are the shiznit.
Quote from: scienceAn early study by Plaut and Kohn-Speyer (1947)[11] found that horse smegma had a carcinogenic effect on mice. Heins et al.(1958)

I can't be a love slave in Tuluk. Isn't that reason enough?

Though I play alot in Allanak; I think Tuluk has a better culture to play around with. I think people are just making assumptions on first impressions without even bothering the scratch the sevice.

Anyone who has been there for a while knows that Tuluk is not a nice place.
Now you're looking for the secret. But you won't find it because of course, you're not really looking. You don't really want to work it out. You want to be fooled.

my play has been about 80/20 tuluk/allanak. The 20 for 'nak being almost all if not all Bynners.

Tuluk ftw.
your mother is an elf.

Quote from: Agent_137 on February 15, 2009, 02:54:50 PM
i play this game because it's post-apoc perma-death. ergo Nak is about 1000 times better than tuluk because it is in a DESERT.

This.

I just do not understand Tuluk, hence my dislike in playing there. I also dislike the level of power and control the Templarate in Tuluk has. Who needs schemes, spies, and treachery, when you see and know everything. A little bit exaggerated, granted ... but if you got known enough to interest a lirathan, good luck keeping anything secret without twinking.  

Tuluk is like dark chocolate or fine wine. It takes a cultured mind and acquired taste to enjoy it. Fools.

Dar, your post need more IC infos, plz.
"When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse's feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back."

He's right, lots of things don't make sense in Tuluk.

A lot of groups get hate on the GDB: Tuluk, Allanak (at times), Tuluki bards, gypsies, etc. I'd urge people to actually try playing any of those groups that they're hating on before really making a decision. You can't know what a group is really about before playing in it. I've found that my mind has really been changed about particular places and clans by making a true good-faith effort to play there.
Quote from: Vanth on February 13, 2008, 05:27:50 PM
I'm gonna go all Gimfalisette on you guys and lay down some numbers.

When I first started playing, Allanak was the place to be (Simply because I didn't know better).

Now, as I've matured my knowledge of the game world, I realize that Tuluk is one of the best places to go.

I view Tuluk as the cake-walk for most beginner players and Allanak as the place where veteran RP'ers thrive.
Quote from: LauraMars
Quote from: brytta.leofaLaura, did weird tribal men follow you around at age 15?
If by weird tribal men you mean Christians then yes.

Quote from: Malifaxis
She was teabagging me.

My own mother.

Vanth,

I like your post. 

Tuluk definitely has a gritty underbelly. 

Stealing is legal!!

In my opinion, people just need to play the gritty PCs in Tuluk and stick to that--they'll attract other people. People are just always reluctant to start something when they're afraid of it becoming an isolated role. But if someone doesn't start it, nobody will.
Quote from: Gimfalisette
(10:00:49 PM) Gimf: Yes, you sentence? I sentence often.