Climbing One Handed

Started by jalden, February 12, 2009, 09:35:27 PM

It seems strange to me that it's very easy to climb with one hand.  I don't notice a significant difference when climbing with and without holding something.  Sometimes it's even easier to climb when you are holding something, like when the there is a little light and you are holding a torch.  I've done some amateur rock climbing(mountains not climbing walls), and I think it's more touch based than sight based.  That's not to say that light isn't important too.  I just think climbing while holding something in your hand(s) should have more influence on the difficulty.

Do you agree/disagree that it should be more difficult than it is to climb if one or more of your hands are occupied?

You can't hold a torch or a glow crystal in your 'Teeth' codedly, so no.
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

If you have something in your hands, you can't hold on to a rope, so by definition you are already worse-off at climbing than you could be.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

February 12, 2009, 09:51:32 PM #3 Last Edit: February 12, 2009, 09:59:16 PM by jalden
QuoteYou can't hold a torch or a glow crystal in your 'Teeth' codedly, so no.

Yeah. It would get rid of your ability to have a light source while climbing.  I think that's more realistic though not less realistic.  A glow crystal would make sense if you could leave it lit in your inventory/while it's on your neck instead of just while you are holding it.

QuoteIf you have something in your hands, you can't hold on to a rope, so by definition you are already worse-off at climbing than you could be.

The with a rope system makes sense.  I just think it should be harder to climb without a rope while holding stuff.

There -are- light sources you can wear, you know.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

Quote from: Synthesis on February 12, 2009, 09:53:59 PM
There -are- light sources you can wear, you know.
True. Come now, I figured that out as soon as I got those light sources.
Quote from: Rahnevyn on March 09, 2009, 03:39:45 PM
Clans can give stat bonuses and penalties, too. The Byn drop in wisdom is particularly notorious.

Oh. I've just run into torches, glow crystals, and staffs  :) If you can have a light source without holding something, that would make it less of an issue to change things so that it is harder to climb while holding stuff.

Ah, try wearing one of those light sources you have on your ankle or wrist ;)
Quote from: Rahnevyn on March 09, 2009, 03:39:45 PM
Clans can give stat bonuses and penalties, too. The Byn drop in wisdom is particularly notorious.

Quote from: jalden on February 12, 2009, 09:58:19 PM
Oh. I've just run into torches, glow crystals, and staffs  :) If you can have a light source without holding something, that would make it less of an issue to change things so that it is harder to climb while holding stuff.

Or your back, even.  :o

Quote from: jalden on February 12, 2009, 09:58:19 PM

Wear it.
Quote from: scienceAn early study by Plaut and Kohn-Speyer (1947)[11] found that horse smegma had a carcinogenic effect on mice. Heins et al.(1958)

February 12, 2009, 11:19:34 PM #10 Last Edit: February 12, 2009, 11:36:21 PM by jalden
I will definitely be wearing my light sources in the future.

I think the reasons it should be harder are obvious, is there any reason it shouldn't be harder to climb while holding something in your hand(s)?

*edit(Other than the staff taking the time to change it I mean-- I know they have a long to do list)/edit

I agree for reality purposes it should be like a

you must have two hands free to do that. (in exception to rope)

but I think we can chalk one handed climbing to one of those zalanthan super powers like psionics, rapid healing, instantaneous flower drying etc...
Quote from: AJM
Only noobs quote themselves.

whatever. strappable light sources are not reason enough to eliminate 1 handed climbing. UNLESS you can make them with a strip of salvaged leather, instead of 400 sid and a special order from your friendly merchant.

Which, if you look at the item in question, you should be able to do.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

Quote from: X-D on February 13, 2009, 05:53:07 AM
Which, if you look at the item in question, you should be able to do.

Ass -v is a great command.

Also, leather-strapped glow crystals should be shop items imo.

or craftable from glow crystal plus length of leather/scrap of leather, I'll idea that later.
A staff member sends you:
"Normally we don't see a <redacted> walk into a room full of <redacted> and start indiscriminately killing."

You send to staff:
"Welcome to Armageddon."

I'd be fine with needing two hands to climb if my characters could tell up from down without a light source.

But in Zalanthas, darkness interferes with the proper functioning of gravity. Until you slip.

Quote from: hyzhenhok on February 15, 2009, 07:02:31 PM
I'd be fine with needing two hands to climb if my characters could tell up from down without a light source.

But in Zalanthas, darkness interferes with the proper functioning of gravity. Until you slip.

You slip and start to float in the air.

Think: What the Feck?!?!

>time

It is before dawn.

Think: Great....another ten minutes to live.....time to work out my eulagy.

"The fear of death is the most unjustified of all fears, for there's no risk of accident for someone who's dead."
-Albert Einstein

I just accidentally climbed up a wall while dual-wielding weapons.

After realizing what I had done, I just emoted stabbing my blades into the walls and using them to help me climb.

:P
Quote from: LauraMars
Quote from: brytta.leofaLaura, did weird tribal men follow you around at age 15?
If by weird tribal men you mean Christians then yes.

Quote from: Malifaxis
She was teabagging me.

My own mother.

Quote from: Gunnerblaster on February 15, 2009, 09:41:32 PM
I just accidentally climbed up a wall while dual-wielding weapons.

After realizing what I had done, I just emoted stabbing my blades into the walls and using them to help me climb.

:P

Nice.
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.