Steal is overpowered

Started by audrey, January 08, 2009, 03:47:16 AM

Quote from: Yokunama on January 08, 2009, 10:52:11 AM
Quote from: Fathi on January 08, 2009, 04:09:56 AM
Unless I'm mistaken, there IS an echo when somebody does this, thus giving you a chance to have your PC wake up and notice they're being stolen from.

It'd be better if there was a chance players woke up automatically like they sometimes do when someone attacks them. And if you are knocked out by a club or the fifth bottle of flame, you won't wake up if someone decides to panty raid you.

Things you should have difficulty taking are pants, shirts, and maybe backpacks. Things like earrings, necklaces, and whathave you are all fair game.

Personally I think the echo is best, that means the theft is still likely to occur and be successful.  Even if the echo is placed at the start of the steal delay, the delay isn't very long and only a pc really ready to wake up would have a chance of waking up in time. 

That being said, I disagere with the majority of the npc populace having nothing.  We're assuming that most people sleep in the communal areas.  This is more or less how the world is (in my view) written to be.  Maybe houses that employ laborers to dig for clay give them a special sleeping place for all their laborers, doesn't matter.. My point.  These people probably have slightly more than the clothes on their back.  They probably have that clay pot their brother gave them that they can sometimes cook out of, or those sandals which are kind of nice, or maybe one or two has a decent dagger.  And since we've already established they don't have the money for appartments, they therefore must be assumed to keep these things on them at all times.  Now lets look at the VNPC population.  If they are all really poor and don't have much (like hardly even a single sid) than these little trinkets they do have, including, but not limited to the VERY CLOTHES ON THEIR BACKS, would be in relative terms worth quite a bit.  So maybe the vnpc doesn't have the awesome sword made out of silt horror shell, but that shirt they are wearing that a pc wouldn't be caught dead in, is actually worth a lot - to a vnpc. 

Now lets get back to the code.  A pc can, any pc, potentally steal and while a echo will alert them to say the shirt off their back or a backpack being taken, if the echo happens after the theft is sucessful, essentially the pc is just as helpless to losing one really nice item.  The Vnpc is thus equally as vulnerable and therefore the sleeping places become moot because the vnpc, like the pc, is going to look at those situations and find them completely unacceptable. 

Now you might argue, but the vnpcs have no choice, they can sleep in a communal area or not at all.  To which I might argue lets look at what pcs would do if they were forced to sleep there and then shape the world around that.  In this particular case I assume pcs would probably have friends and family watch over each other while sleeping to ensure that theft wasn't occuring.  This actually makes a lot of sense to me, that way you could say Vnpcs are in groups and that's why they're not being robbed, where as the odd pc isn't in a group and therefore is being robbed.

As stated, I'm not complaining about the steal code, I'm complaining about the way the world is described vs the reality.  I would literally be satisfied if these rooms were simply described better, to make it seem as if vritually no one sleeps alone, except the truly desperate or unloved or wretchedly poor. 

Nah, steal is not over powered.  You know what's fucking overpowered?

Me.

And the warrior I'm going to start so I can forcibly knock the whole mud out, one at a time, in order to steal everyone's damn clothes.

Have you ever gone to sleep?  I have.  I know, from experience, that people can take shit off of me (or even put shit on!) while I am sleeping.  

Maybe I'm not you.  In fact, I'm pretty sure I'm not.  Unless the buddists are right and we are all one and the river of life flows out my third eye.  But until a scientist (ghost?  can you stop floating around and babbling about dicks long enough to..) proves this one, I'm going to go with the idea that you aren't me.

What I'm getting at here is that I'm a high level CIA agent who was trained by a ninja monastery in downtown Tibet (on Broadway and 3rd) while begin taught how to steal by my gypsy godmother (who was a werewolf) and training for 20 hours a day in how to drink dead vikings under the table, and I can still get shit stolen off of me while I sleep.  The shit I refer to is my underwear, and the thief I am referring to is spawnloser.  I think he has pictures of him doing this somewhere, but I'm relatively certain that if he posts them, I will be forced to retaliate with pictures of new years 2003 when he was dead drunk in a blue bathroom hunched over a toilet with his head half in like he was trying for a realistic recreation of the suppository scene from Trainspotting.  So most likely he won't post them, and you'll just have to trust me.

Fucking steal is fucking over powered.  Give me a fucking break.
Yes. Read the thread if you want, or skip to page 7 and be dismissive.
-Reiloth

Words I repeat every time I start a post:
Quote from: Rathustra on June 23, 2016, 03:29:08 PM
Stop being shitty to each other.

Quote from: brytta.leofa on January 08, 2009, 11:07:48 AM
> ep club
> rest
> change ldesc is sleeping here.
> phemote eyes glitter beneath nearly-shut lids.
(wait 30 secs)
(wait 30 secs)

This just made me realize that the "hug" social can probably be abused to determine whether a person is really codedly sleeping or not.

>hug chubby

The chubby dude is not in the proper position for that.

Quote from: Iota on January 08, 2009, 12:08:13 PM
> ep club
> rest
(wait 30 secs)
(wait 30 secs)

Hug is overpowered.

Please nerf hug.

This just made me realize that the "hug" social can probably be abused to determine whether a person is really codedly sleeping or not.

>hug chubby

The chubby dude is not in the proper position for that.

Quote from: Iota on January 08, 2009, 12:08:13 PM

So can the steal command. ;)
The sword is sharp, the spear is long,
The arrow swift, the Gate is strong.
The heart is bold that looks on gold;
The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.

I concur with UnderSeven: a hug nerf is totally in order.

There needs to be more risk when stealing from the dorm areas I think. I think there should be guards in the area you can pay twenty 'sid or so to watch your back.
Now you're looking for the secret. But you won't find it because of course, you're not really looking. You don't really want to work it out. You want to be fooled.

I personally belive the steal command is just fine.. yea so ya lost your cloths.. we all do at some point.  Yea its a bit unrealistic but in truth dont fall asleep in a place where your pack and such can be taken from you.  I personally make it a rule not to take your general clothing, but your pack and your belt you can be damn sure is gonna be a gonner.. just the way it is... see ya sleeping soon.. :o

Common areas are packed with vnpcs, and usually an npc soldier or two.  Stealing clothes off people sleeping in common areas is, to put it mildly, poor form.  If you do this, it is an abuse of the code, and you ARE a twink.

Trinkets = Fine.
Boots = Funny.
Clothes = TWINK.
Quote from: scienceAn early study by Plaut and Kohn-Speyer (1947)[11] found that horse smegma had a carcinogenic effect on mice. Heins et al.(1958)

Alternatively, vNPC drunks get robbed naked out of the Gaj dorms all the time, and the soldiers just don't care unless you make a ruckus. Allanak isn't a nice place, just like the rest of the Known; who's to say that the majority of the vNPCs ARE safe? No; the only ones who sleep there are those who either are so drunk they can't care anymore, or don't have anything to lose. If you sleep in the Gaj, you deserve what's coming to you, as does everyone else: PC, NPC, or vNPC.
There is no general doctrine which is not capable of eating out our morality if unchecked by the deep-seated habit of direct fellow-feeling with individual fellow-men. -George Eliot

January 08, 2009, 02:13:25 PM #35 Last Edit: January 08, 2009, 02:19:09 PM by Searanox
You think someone would give two shits if they saw you take someone else s pack? I'm of the belief that there are -no- vNPC guards, considering we have 50,000,000 roaming the streets, in the bars, and in any log-out area already.

Like I said, if you have time to strip all of the clothes of someone, they either -can't- wake up, or they are away from their PC.

Who in their right mind would see:

QuoteYou feel a faint tugging....

You feel a faint tugging...

>think: Lackidaisical flowers made of colored metal spin around you in bright colors, as you conscious bring to surface that you're in love with The Ivory skinned, lock-tressed lass...

You dream:Lackidaisical flowers made of colored metal spin around you in bright colors, as you unconsciously bring to surface that you're in love with The Ivory skinned, lock-tressed lass...

and not >wake???

Did you all forget about the "we need more pickpockets, thiefs, and muggers"?
Neither a lofty degree of intelligence nor imagination nor both together go to the making of genius. Love, love, love, that is the soul of genius. -Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart

Initiative, drive and willpower are the essence of its body.

Here we go again.

Next thread: Too many half-elves!

Thread after that: Why I hate magickers.

> ep club
> rest
(wait 30 secs)
(wait 30 secs)

> trap pack
> !
> !
> !
> !
> sleep
> You lie down and go to sleep.
> em snores loudly, ~backpack looking tantalizingly stealable.
Tlaloc
Legend

Quote from: Lakota on January 08, 2009, 02:17:43 PM
Here we go again.

Next thread: Too many half-elves!

Thread after that: Why I hate magickers.

Heh.
-Reiloth

It'd be nice if people used some discretion and roleplayed, considering the logistics of their actions and the virtual environment. (Not just justifying what they want to do.)

Unfortunately it's somewhat up to the staff to police.  If they police it (and they may already) then such behaviour will be discouraged and decrease, if they don't then the code wins and such behaviour will continue unthwarted.

As such:

Step 1) Put in a player complaint to make sure the staff know what happened.
Step 2) Proceed to assume that everything is working as intended, and roleplay accordingly.
"But I don't want to go among mad people," Alice remarked.

"Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: "we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."

"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.

"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn't have come here."

Personally, I've never experienced the tugging message, and I've had my stuff stolen from me recently.
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

Quote from: Tisiphone on January 08, 2009, 02:06:34 PM
Alternatively, vNPC drunks get robbed naked out of the Gaj dorms all the time, and the soldiers just don't care unless you make a ruckus. Allanak isn't a nice place, just like the rest of the Known; who's to say that the majority of the vNPCs ARE safe? No; the only ones who sleep there are those who either are so drunk they can't care anymore, or don't have anything to lose. If you sleep in the Gaj, you deserve what's coming to you, as does everyone else: PC, NPC, or vNPC.

Listen, I'm not talking about getting robbed.  I'm talking about a single thief, taking everything.  While it's true, if someone's smashed, you could probably strip them down to their skivvies; it doesn't mean nobody would notice. To pretend that a room of vnpcs would be entirely apathetic to someone getting rolled by a single thief, out in the open, and under the watchful gaze of His Will, is absurdly unrealistic.  Police states love nothing more than than to ignore breaches in their law; it's how they maintain that iron grip.
Quote from: scienceAn early study by Plaut and Kohn-Speyer (1947)[11] found that horse smegma had a carcinogenic effect on mice. Heins et al.(1958)

Entertainment is expensive in Allanak.  Every time you go to the Arena, you risk being thrown in yourself if you look at the wrong person in a way they don't approve of.

To me, this is cheap entertainment, and I, for one, would stand there laughing at your drunk, unconcious ass, as you were prep'd for sunburn.
-Reiloth

I'm going to have to get an avatar before people start reading my posts, aren't I?

Quote from: mansa on January 08, 2009, 02:29:43 PM
Personally, I've never experienced the tugging message, and I've had my stuff stolen from me recently.

Possibly a bug, I haven't been stolen from while sleeping if 5+ months, but I certainly got the message. Maybe it has to do you being passed out or drunk? Maybe you don't see the echo then?
Neither a lofty degree of intelligence nor imagination nor both together go to the making of genius. Love, love, love, that is the soul of genius. -Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart

Initiative, drive and willpower are the essence of its body.

There should be a longer delays and more echoes for removing a sleeper's worn clothing and packs.

Three seconds and "got it!". That just doesn't take into consideation that you have to roll the fucker over so you can better slip his pack off, or wrestle with his belt as you unbind his pants or unlace his boots.

January 08, 2009, 03:41:11 PM #45 Last Edit: January 08, 2009, 03:52:00 PM by Jingo
Immortals are overpowered.

Sure mages and dwaves with insane strength can instakill you. And pickpockets can strip you naked in your sleep and Desert Elves are so badass it's not funny.

But none of them can give you bad account notes.

srsly nerf imms
Now you're looking for the secret. But you won't find it because of course, you're not really looking. You don't really want to work it out. You want to be fooled.

Quote from: Jingo on January 08, 2009, 03:41:11 PM
srsly nerf imms

For real?

Not gonna lie... whenever I'm hangin' out with an IG friend in my apartment, I often steal things they're cooking or strip them while they're sleeping and hide they're things. But I usually get them back. Is that good roleplay?
Live like God.
Love like God.

"Don't let life be your burden."
- Some guy, Twin Warriors

For Realz.

I'm being facetous. I do honestly appreciate the time the imms put into giving me account notes. Even the negative ones.

Possibility: when stealing from a sleeping person, there could be a check against your steal skill to see if you can pull it off without waking your target. Penalize this check if you're trying to steal something they have equipped, since you would have to unstrap it or otherwise pull it off of them. Failure wakes the target up.

Quote from: Jingo on January 08, 2009, 04:09:58 PM

I'm being facetous. I do honestly appreciate the time the imms put into giving me account notes. Even the negative ones.
Oh.

I've gotten the "you feel a tug on your clothing." Message, twice while sleeping in the Gaj. It might just be a message you get after being thief-ed by an NPC
Live like God.
Love like God.

"Don't let life be your burden."
- Some guy, Twin Warriors