Wild Life Unbalanced?

Started by Gunnerblaster, January 07, 2009, 07:02:58 PM

As everyone knows, there are many more types of huntable creatures in the North then there are in the South. The ones in the North, for the most part, are decent enough to hunt but the ones in the south are typically all or nothing type creatures.

There was a recent addition of smaller wild-life around Allanak but I do not know weither this is a result from that new addition or not but the amount of spawned Tarantula surrounding Allanak is making leaving the city for anything but going north suicidal.

I do not know if this is the way things should be codedly going in the world of Zalanthas, weither this was planned or not, but the new common animal life around Allanak is no longer the Scrab, which was a toughie already for most hunters, but now it is Tarantula - Which should be considered the 'professional' Hunter/killer animal in the South.

Someone please stop me if I seem to be ranting, but I feel going out of Allanak shouldn't be as dangerous as it's become. It has gotten to the point that Hunters can no longer hunt and gather the basic resources (Scrab Shell, Obsidian, etc.) due to the fact that Tarantula easily overpower and consume scrab and anything else.

If this is the way things should be, then hunters only have a use in the north and I am greatly dissappointed at the fact that the south is huntable only by half-giants now.
Quote from: LauraMars
Quote from: brytta.leofaLaura, did weird tribal men follow you around at age 15?
If by weird tribal men you mean Christians then yes.

Quote from: Malifaxis
She was teabagging me.

My own mother.

I'm relatively certain that this is actually in response to IC events, but that's an half-educated shot in the dark.
There is no general doctrine which is not capable of eating out our morality if unchecked by the deep-seated habit of direct fellow-feeling with individual fellow-men. -George Eliot

Quote from: Tisiphone on January 07, 2009, 07:04:41 PM
I'm relatively certain that this is actually in response to IC events, but that's an half-educated shot in the dark.
Yeah. If a staff member pops in and says, "Yup, that's all IC events" then I'll be (if not a bit depressed) cool with that.

Perhaps I should have placed this in the Ask the Staff but I guess I wanted to see what the other playerbases' input on this way.
Quote from: brytta.leofaLaura, did weird tribal men follow you around at age 15?

She was teabagging me.

My own mother.

Quote from: Gunnerblaster on January 07, 2009, 07:12:17 PM
Quote from: Tisiphone on January 07, 2009, 07:04:41 PM
Yeah. If a staff member pops in and says, "Yup, that's all IC events" then I'll be (if not a bit depressed) cool with that.

Perhaps I should have placed this in the Ask the Staff but I guess I wanted to see what the other playerbases' input on this way.

Whether or not it's a direct result of a specific ic event excessive quantities of tarantula around Nak can be dealt with ic.
Also... life's not fair, and I don't believe that the wildlife around Nak is meant to be as squishy as the wildlife around Tuluk.  Look at the kind of environments they live in. Hunting in groups is never a bad idea anyway.
"But I don't want to go among mad people," Alice remarked.

"Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: "we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."

"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.

"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn't have come here."

So what if the increase is a result of IC events? Unbalanced is unbalanced.

I find it disheartening to even consider apping a pc in Allanak. There's absolutely no way one can survive as an independent unless they spend the first 20 days played fighitng jozhal and letting raptor obliterate them.

The new tarantulas that were added are nearly as tough as the originals, if not -harder-. It's just suicidal to consider leaving the gates alone. And no, I don't think teaming up with a group of hunters is always an option. I'd like to have the ability to be a lone, successful hunter in Vrun Driath. The predator/prey ratio is just, IMO, too unbalanced right now.

The scripts with the hooks also appear wonky. I've bugged this but haven't heard anything. Any of you others noticed this?

That being said, I'd be willing to write up new critters that are a bit easier than tarantulas but still nasty. I seem to remember there even being work done on this within the past few years...

If you team up with a bunch of other hunters and manage to outlive the rest of them, eventually you'll be able to hunt solo.

You should be glad you're not being chased by packs of fire bugs and gith patrols.

Bring back the roving gith death squads instead.
Never met a wise a man,
If so it's a woman.

I'm pretty sure Allanak is that way by design.

Quote from: Lakota on January 07, 2009, 07:21:55 PM
So what if the increase is a result of IC events? Unbalanced is unbalanced.

I find it disheartening to even consider apping a pc in Allanak. There's absolutely no way one can survive as an independent unless they spend the first 20 days played fighitng jozhal and letting raptor obliterate them.

The new tarantulas that were added are nearly as tough as the originals, if not -harder-. It's just suicidal to consider leaving the gates alone. And no, I don't think teaming up with a group of hunters is always an option. I'd like to have the ability to be a lone, successful hunter in Vrun Driath. The predator/prey ratio is just, IMO, too unbalanced right now.

The scripts with the hooks also appear wonky. I've bugged this but haven't heard anything. Any of you others noticed this?

That being said, I'd be willing to write up new critters that are a bit easier than tarantulas but still nasty. I seem to remember there even being work done on this within the past few years...

I made a single modification based on some checking I did.
New critters have already been done, however, and quite recently.
http://www.zalanthas.org/gdb/index.php/topic,33066.msg403635.html#msg403635

I'm also not sure what script with hooks you're discussing.  Send me an e-mail about that.
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.

The wildlife situation, in my opinion, is just fine.

It's just there are so many hunters in Allanak, that people have to go much farther to find something. And takes them near danger spots.

Just for the record though...I love the new tarantula.

Quote from: Whoa Nelly on January 07, 2009, 07:54:46 PM
Bring back the roving gith death squads instead.

Yeah. That'll make Byn waeluks more interesting.

I don't mind the fact that life in the South is hard. That's what I like about it.

It's just the fact that it's ONLY tarantulas which seem to be gang-raping the hell out of everything.

The original tarantulas were badass to begin with but now you have new Tarantulas (following the addition of the code) which sneak/hide/track/subdue/bash.

So even if you do manage to get away - Those tarantulas will literally track you until they lose your track - Which is by either entering a city or riding north. Even then, I'm pretty sure they would still track your ass down.

I don't mind getting my ass handed to me by tarantula's because - Who in their right mind would charge a huge spider? But it's the fact that they don't leave room for mistakes. You either kill them or they track you down and finish you off.

She was teabagging me.

My own mother.

Quote from: Clearsighted on January 07, 2009, 08:28:00 PM
It's just there are so many hunters in Allanak, that people have to go much farther to find something. And takes them near danger spots.
Those danger spots being Allanak's Outer Wall?

Walking west of the gates two rooms and getting butt-humped by the 'hook-lashing' tarantulas is no fun.

Not every newbie player who pops into the World is going to want to stay pent up inside the city, joining the daycare byn for the lifespan of their first three characters. I, for one, wanted to go outside and learn a little about the surrounding area on my second character.

She was teabagging me.

My own mother.

Quote from: Gunnerblaster on January 07, 2009, 08:35:39 PM

Walking west of the gates two rooms and getting butt-humped by the 'hook-lashing' tarantulas is no fun.

Not every newbie player who pops into the World is going to want to stay pent up inside the city, joining the daycare byn for the lifespan of their first three characters. I, for one, wanted to go outside and learn a little about the surrounding area on my second character.

Well. I think someone must have lured it there. In my experience, after reboots, the closest that the hook tarantulas get is the glass deposits.

But yes, there's no denying its rough and not even remotely as easy as Tuluk.

Quote from: Nyr on January 07, 2009, 08:11:10 PM
I'm also not sure what script with hooks you're discussing.  Send me an e-mail about that.

I found it; nevermind.
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

Quote from: Gunnerblaster on January 07, 2009, 08:35:39 PM

Bring that stuff up to your friendly neighbourhood templar or Bynner or what-have-you. Worst that could happen is said person getting angry at you for the bother.
There is no general doctrine which is not capable of eating out our morality if unchecked by the deep-seated habit of direct fellow-feeling with individual fellow-men. -George Eliot

What I want to point out, really, is that the "newbie wildlife" that was added (Buzzards, rats, etc.) are really just countermanded by the Tarantula that have suddenly gotten the habit of not only killing the new newbie wildlife but also the new newbies, themselves.

:(

She was teabagging me.

My own mother.

From what I've seen, the new tarantulas don't actually consume the carcasses of scrabs they murder.

I've found quite a few dead scrabs just lying around in tarantula country, anyway.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

I've survived against tarantulas before with a 1-day hunter. With no mount. When I didn't know anything about playing the game or how dangerous they were. But then again, it could be one of those weaker tarantulas.

The south's always been a lot harsher than the north outside. Well, you could try and handle it IC - bring a pile of coins to the Byn and ask them to hunt tarantulas to extinction. Or head out north like my hunter did.
Quote from: Rahnevyn on March 09, 2009, 03:39:45 PM
Clans can give stat bonuses and penalties, too. The Byn drop in wisdom is particularly notorious.

Quote from: Synthesis on January 07, 2009, 09:09:56 PM
From what I've seen, the new tarantulas don't actually consume the carcasses of scrabs they murder.

I've found quite a few dead scrabs just lying around in tarantula country, anyway.
Hm. Didn't know that. I've seen those new ones devour other creatures, so I simply assumed.

But you know what they say about assuming.

She was teabagging me.

My own mother.

Meh, the new ones are weaker then the old ones. I enjoy them but was going to complain they were too weak, like newbie spiders. And the south has never been, nor do I think it ever should be for the solo hunter out of the box. And I've been playing some odd times of late and I've found no problem at any time in the south finding a hunting partner, even when who shows only 6 players other then mself IG.

The only problem I see with them or any animal NPC with track is the fact that they Never ever give up. And I'm sorry, they should and after only a short time. Also, I'm not sure if it has ever been fixed, but in the past my other complaint is even though tracking animals show a hunt echo, they do not in fact use the skill, they know where you are because the code knows.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

Quote from: X-D on January 07, 2009, 09:24:29 PM
The only problem I see with them or any animal NPC with track is the fact that they Never ever give up. And I'm sorry, they should and after only a short time. Also, I'm not sure if it has ever been fixed, but in the past my other complaint is even though tracking animals show a hunt echo, they do not in fact use the skill, they know where you are because the code knows.
That and the fact that they insta-hide or it's automatic for them.

She was teabagging me.

My own mother.

What exdee sez.
Quote from: Fathi on March 08, 2018, 06:40:45 PMAnd then I sat there going "really? that was it? that's so stupid."

I still think the best closure you get in Armageddon is just moving on to the next character.

Quote from: Nyr on January 07, 2009, 08:46:08 PM
Quote from: Nyr on January 07, 2009, 08:11:10 PM

I found it; nevermind.

Awesome, thanks Nyr.

Also, I'm not sure if it has ever been fixed, but in the past my other complaint is even though tracking animals show a hunt echo, they do not in fact use the skill, they know where you are because the code knows.

I would disagree with this much.  If you notice a bug or problem, you should bug it in-game. 
I checked one such creature that I know uses the hunt skill; seems to be working fine (even after testing it).

Quote from: Nyr on January 08, 2009, 12:59:02 AM
Also, I'm not sure if it has ever been fixed, but in the past my other complaint is even though tracking animals show a hunt echo, they do not in fact use the skill, they know where you are because the code knows.

I would disagree with this much.  If you notice a bug or problem, you should bug it in-game. 
I checked one such creature that I know uses the hunt skill; seems to be working fine (even after testing it).

While just going out on a limb and guessing I admit, I think maybe it just feels like the animals are just using the code and not the skill because of a few side factors. Like ... they regen stamina a lot faster than we do so they don't have to stop and rest before following after us ... even though we have to stop and rest while running from them. And ... I believe it was once said in the Code Discussion that despite the actual path a character takes ... the tracking animal will just move towards them via the fastest route available, and not actually retrace their footsteps.
Quote from: Marauder Moe
Oh my god he's still rocking the sandwich.